Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

VendaGoat posted:

Shine on you crazy diamond.

In fairness that lens was hosed even before I did that, the flange had worn to the point where it couldn't infinity-focus using AF, but the point is it was no WORSE after that experience.

Also it smelled like Christmas trees after I beat it with a stick.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

T-shirt wipe at the end seals the deal for me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rot posted:

T-shirt wipe at the end seals the deal for me.

Son, I've wet-cleaned sensors with my t-shirt.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
So how about those people who use UV filters lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I saw a guy take a cap off a UV filtered lens, open a filter wallet, then put another UV filter on top.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
double the UV protection = double the HDRz

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Also it smelled like Christmas trees gin after I beat it with a stick.

FTFY

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

He said it was cedar, not juniper.

Also, stop trying to falsify the intensity of your swings with those whoosh noises you're making in the video.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wow.

Well. As my wife likes to say: Merry Krishnas.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cool

I knew a guy who would literally shower with his Olympus E-1 after particularly ugly shoots.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Also, stop trying to falsify the intensity of your swings with those whoosh noises you're making in the video.

You seriously underestimate how fun it is to smack a lens with a tree branch.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

SoundMonkey posted:

You seriously underestimate how fun it is to smack a lens with a tree branch.

You should have used a harder stick and/or kicked it. I'd like to see how the lens would have handled that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

I don't suggest you do this to your lenses, but they seem to handle tiny metal sticks well.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 29, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ZippySLC posted:

You should have used a harder stick and/or kicked it. I'd like to see how the lens would have handled that.

In the DRTV D70/400D durability test video, Kai used the kit lenses as a hammer to pound in nails. Nikon front element survived it, Canon's did not.

Edit: woops, someone just posted it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
at least hoods have a legitimate use in helping prevent lens flare, uv filters protect front elements that don't need protecting and add awful ghosting to pictures

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dren posted:

at least hoods have a legitimate use in helping prevent lens flare, uv filters protect front elements that don't need protecting and add awful ghosting to pictures

They perform a valuable service of keeping mom and pop camera stores in business.

"Oh yeah you definitely need a UV filter, you don't want to scratch the kit lens on your brand new rebel do you? It pays for itself!"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xzzy posted:

They perform a valuable service of keeping mom and pop camera stores in business.

"Oh yeah you definitely need a UV filter, you don't want to scratch the kit lens on your brand new rebel do you? It pays for itself!"

These camera stores serve a very important purpose in allowing me to go and play with a lens before deciding I like it and buying it used on keh, and I support them by purchasing a lens cleaning cloth on the way out because I feel sort of bad about it except not really. Unless they actually have a decent selection of used gear at reasonable prices (some do!) in which case I'mm buy it from them.

timrenzi574 posted:

In the DRTV D70/400D durability test video, Kai used the kit lenses as a hammer to pound in nails. Nikon front element survived it, Canon's did not.

As someone who has smashed the glass out of more than one UV filter (deliberately), yes I can confirm it takes a whole lot less force than hammering in a nail. I'm pretty sure you could punch it out if you wanted to (no I will not be posting a video of this because I'd rather drink beer on the back porch than go to the hospital to get stitches in my hand).

I do, however, have a DI box that I bought years ago when I worked at lovely venues that didn't have enough of their own equipment that has literally never been used for anything except pounding in nails.

ZippySLC posted:

Seriously with the build quality of that particular lens, I'm betting that the glass would have been completely fine, it just wouldn't have been inside the lens anymore.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 29, 2014

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Pretty noobish question:

I have a Nikon D60, and found an old nikkor 50mm lens today for dirt cheap. It's sharp and takes great photos and I'm really happy with it.

It doesn't have a light meter built in (since it's older). I'd like to learn how to properly set the aperture and f/stops without the sensor instead of guessing and checking. Anyone have any resources for that sort of thing or even advice as to what I should look up?

Sorry for such a noob question, I'm honestly not even really sure where to start looking for an answer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Pretty noobish question:

I have a Nikon D60, and found an old nikkor 50mm lens today for dirt cheap. It's sharp and takes great photos and I'm really happy with it.

It doesn't have a light meter built in (since it's older). I'd like to learn how to properly set the aperture and f/stops without the sensor instead of guessing and checking. Anyone have any resources for that sort of thing or even advice as to what I should look up?

Sorry for such a noob question, I'm honestly not even really sure where to start looking for an answer.

A good place to start is to google the sunny 16 rule.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

A good place to start is to google the sunny 16 rule.

This. Or you can get a smartphone lightmeter app.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pretty noobish question:

http://www.gossen-photo.us/

or this: http://www.wunderkemmer.com/expositor/

google sunny16 but you could get away with that app.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pretty noobish question:

Do you have a smart phone? Get a lightmeter app.

EFB

macx
Feb 3, 2005

macx posted:

Ok. I can grab a sheet of rosco polarized gel easily enough. Does the manufacturer/model of linear polarizers matter as much as it does for a circ? Should I plan to spend ~100 for a very good one, or does the adorama house brand do the job just as well?

Bumping this. Thoughts on quality of linear polarizers?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

a smartphone lightmeter app.

I didn't know these existed. This is exactly what I need, thanks!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I didn't know these existed. This is exactly what I need, thanks!

Do not spend the money on anything EXCEPT for the expositor. The ones that try to be a handheld gossens, fail mostly when the sun gets low. Decent for daytime use only. The Expositor will help you learn EV levels and is very practical and easy to use.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Expositor is the best.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Musket posted:

Do not spend the money on anything EXCEPT for the expositor. The ones that try to be a handheld gossens, fail mostly when the sun gets low. Decent for daytime use only. The Expositor will help you learn EV levels and is very practical and easy to use.

I downloaded Pocket Light Meter and was testing it indoors in low light and it seemed pretty accurate (at least the pictures came out well). What doesn't work about it?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I downloaded Pocket Light Meter and was testing it indoors in low light and it seemed pretty accurate (at least the pictures came out well). What doesn't work about it?

The light meter on your phone is for adjusting screen brightness and detecting if your ear is near the earpiece so it can disable the touch screen. Its better than guessing, but not nearly as accurate as a dedicated light meter like a gossen or sekonic.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

E: phone double postin'

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Good thing it

red19fire posted:

The light meter on your phone is for adjusting screen brightness and detecting if your ear is near the earpiece so it can disable the touch screen. Its not nearly as accurate as a dedicated light meter like a gossen or sekonic.

Good thing these apps don't use the phones built in light meter then, and instead hook into the cameras actual exposure settings.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

Good thing it

Good thing these apps don't use the phones built in light meter then, and instead hook into the cameras actual exposure settings.

:aaa: wouldn't that give a bad reading since its facing away from the scene? Last time I used a phone meter app it used the phone light meter and was terrible.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

red19fire posted:

:aaa: wouldn't that give a bad reading since its facing away from the scene? Last time I used a phone meter app it used the phone light meter and was terrible.

I used the phone's camera to point at what I was going to shoot, pressed a button to lock the settings, transferred the settings to my camera, and shot.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

No, because if you're looking at your phone, the rear camera is probably facing the scene, and metering how much light is falling on it, to determine the proper exposure.

As in "poo poo your phone camera does anyways, except with this, it actually tells you the numbers."

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I used the phone's camera to point at what I was going to shoot, pressed a button to lock the settings, transferred the settings to my camera, and shot.

Im glad it worked for you, this one time. Dont assume its going to be correct all the time. Im not lying that Expositor is the only lightmeter you should have on your phone. Its unreliable. Eventually you will learn.

Jokes: http://www.esdevices.com/products/luxi

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

Im glad it worked for you, this one time. Dont assume its going to be correct all the time. Im not lying that Expositor is the only lightmeter you should have on your phone. Its unreliable. Eventually you will learn.

Hang on while I pay $30 for half a ping pong ball.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Musket posted:

I'm not trying to start a fight about things I'm ignorant about, but what do you think about this?

I'm genuinely curious because most other sources point to their reliability.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Carry a grey card around and I'm sure you'll get similar results.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I'm not trying to start a fight about things I'm ignorant about, but what do you think about this?

I'm genuinely curious because most other sources point to their reliability.

no argument at all bruh. im just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

Carry a grey card around and I'm sure you'll get laid

ftfy. :toot: