Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Thank God they're adding more metal detectors these terrorist attacks at baseball games are getting a little overwhelming as of late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Fun fact, at a NFL game years back the person wanding people took away a guys metal flask but let him keep his knife.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

holylemon posted:

They started using the full-frame metal detectors at the Coliseum this season due to this rule, so I would assume it'll be the same everywhere. The whole system is such a joke, though - no point to making people walk through metal detectors if you're just going to give their bags a 30 second glance.

I went to the 2002 World Series, and being at the peak of post-9/11 hysteria, there were armed cops on every corner of downtown SF, regular helicopter patrols, and K-9 units wandering around looking at people's bags.

Yet, all they did was lightly grope your bag and jiggle it a bit to listen for any metal, and wave you right in.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
They installed the full frame metal detectors at Minute Maid Park. If you don't have a bag, just hold your keys and cellphone above your head while you walk through. If you have do have a bag, they kind of poke at it with a wand. I feel very safe.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Florimon is so loving terrible I'm happy to see Eduardo Nunez back in the line up.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

Groucho Marxist posted:

Thank God they're adding more metal detectors these terrorist attacks at baseball games are getting a little overwhelming as of late

If there ever was a mass killing at a baseball game they would have no choice from a PR standpoint but to do this so might as well do it now and potentially avoid getting caught with their pants down

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

holylemon posted:

They started using the full-frame metal detectors at the Coliseum this season due to this rule, so I would assume it'll be the same everywhere.

I hope. Last time I was at the Cell it was still wands, they were very inadequately staffed, and the wait sucked for anyone not lined up at the front of the gate.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
At least I can still bring my purse (I'm female), I can't even bring my purse to an NFL game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You mean you don't own a clear bag? Buy one of our NFL approved ones for $29.99

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
If anyone is interested, I went through and compiled as many of the specific deals from the Astros leak as I could, to hopefully make it easier to get a handle on where different front offices value players. e: For clarity, a few of these "rejected" deals (like the Cardinals one) actually indicate teams indicating players that are not available to even begin a conversation on, not an actual request that was made. If something looks crazy to you, it's worth going and checking the context.

pre:
Houston Player(s)			Other Team	Other Team Player(s)						Result	Date
Bud Norris					BAL	Kevin Gausman/Dylan Bundy					1	06/26/13
Bud Norris					BAL	Mike Wright + Pedro Strop					-1	06/28/13
Bud Norris					SF	Kyle Crick							1	06/28/13
Bud Norris					SF	Clayton Blackburn + ???						0	06/28/13
Bud Norris					TOR	Aaron Sanchez							1	07/19/13
Bud Norris					TOR	Marcus Stroman + ???						0	07/20/13
Bud Norris					PIT	Jameson Taillon/Gregory Polanco					1	07/21/13
Bud Norris					PIT	Tyler Glasnow/Luis Heredia/Alen Hanson				0	07/21/13
Bud Norris					PHI	Aaron Altherr							1	07/22/13
Bud Norris + Jose Veras				DET	Nick Castellanos						1	07/22/13
Jose Veras					DET	Jake Thompson							1	07/23/13
Bud Norris					SF	Clayton Blackburn + Adalberto Mejia + Keury Mella		1	07/23/13
Bud Norris					BOS	Ryan Lavarnway/Deven Marrero					-1	07/24/13
Bud Norris					BOS	Xander Bogaerts/Allen Webster/Jackie Bradley Jr/Gavin Cecchini	1	07/25/13
Bud Norris					PIT	Tyler Glasnow + Luis Heredia/Nick Kingham			1	07/25/13
Bud Norris					PIT	Luis Heredia + pick 73						-1	07/25/13
Lucas Harrell					WAS	Lucas Giolito							1	07/26/13
Bud Norris					STL	Kolten Wong/Carlos Martinez/Michael Wacha/Oscar Taveras		1	07/26/13
Bud Norris					SF	Clayton Blackburn + Adalberto Mejia				1	07/29/13
Bud Norris					TOR	Marcus Stroman + Anthony Gose					1	07/29/13
Jose Veras					DET	Danry Vasquez + David Paulino/Emanuel Chavez			OK	07/29/13
Jimmy Paredes					KC	Christian Binford/Julio Pinto					1	10/18/13
Jimmy Paredes					KC	Cesar Ogando/Kenny Diekroeger					-1	10/22/13
Jimmy Paredes					KC	Jack Lopez							1	10/22/13
George Springer + Carlos Correa			MIA	Giancarlo Stanton						-1	11/15/13
Jarred Cosart + Delino DeShields Jr		MIA	Giancarlo Stanton						1	11/15/13
Jason Castro					SEA	Dustin Ackley							-1	11/22/13
Jarred Cosart + Brandon Barnes			COL	Dexter Fowler + Rafael Ortega					-1	11/24/13
2 of Delino DeShields/Brad Peacock/Max Stassi	OAK	Brett Anderson							-1	12/04/13
??? Jackson/??? Gonzalez			SD	Juan Oramas + Donn Roach					1	12/04/13
Lucas Harrell					SF	Brandon Belt							1	12/08/13
Jose Altuve/Matt Dominguez			MIA	Logan Morrison							-1	12/09/13
Lucas Harrell + Alex Sogard			NYM	Ike Davis							1	02/27/14
Result key: 1 = Astros offered/other team declined; -1 = other team offered/Astros declined; 0 = nonspecific deal was not worked out; OK = trade occurred
player 1 + player 2 indicates both players included; player 1/player 2 indicates a choice between them

Additional items of interest:
- Bud Norris was eventually traded on 31 July 2013 to the Orioles for L.J. Hoes, Josh Hader, and a 1st-round sandwich pick.
- Lucas Harrell has been completely ineffective in 76.1 innings split between MLB and AAA this season.
- Jimmy Paredes was waived by the Astros and claimed by Miami on 4 November. Then he was waived by Miami and claimed by Baltimore on 15 February. Then two days later he was waived again and claimed by...the Kansas City Royals. So they got him for free, congratulations.
- The eventual Dexter Fowler/Brandon Barnes trade was made on 3 December; it sent Fowler + PTBNL to the Astros for Brandon Barnes and Jordan Lyles.
- Logan Morrison ultimately got traded to the Mariners for Carter Capps on 11 Dec.
- Ike Davis got traded to the Pirates for Zach Thornton and Blake Taylor on 18 April.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 1, 2014

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I'd trade Springer and Correa for Giancarlo in a heartbeat

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

It's kind of funny that they didn't talk to the Cubs. They obviously wanted youth and the Cubs definitely have some prospects. Given that list you would think they'd throw out one of those lopsided deals at Jed but I guess not.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Crimson Sox posted:

e: on a completely different note, Joel Pineiro suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a banned substance :lol:

For some reason the M's fan in me mentally read that as José Paniagua and I was absolutely shocked that he was still playing somewhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mornacale posted:

If anyone is interested, I went through and compiled as many of the specific deals from the Astros leak as I could, to hopefully make it easier to get a handle on where different front offices value players.

This is awesome, thank you

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Houston has Jose Veras, Tigers turn down Jose Veras, Tigers end up with Jose Veras, Tigers turn down Jose Veras, Jose Veras ends up in Houston.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groucho Marxist posted:

And they say the terrorists didn't win.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'm guessing it's more to thwart games of knifey-spoony than terrorist attacks but who knows.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Crimson Sox posted:

I'd trade Springer and Correa for Giancarlo in a heartbeat

It wouldn't make a ton of sense for the Astros of last year to do that, though. Stanton's a FA after 2016 and we're not going to be doing anything before then. Springer's clock just started this year and Correa won't be up until late next year at the very very earliest (e: actually I forgot about his injury I doubt even September next year is a remote possibility). Also Springer's pretty good, even if TTO-prone, and Correa still is our #1 prospect.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

quote:

Bud Norris STL Kolten Wong/Carlos Martinez/Michael Wacha/Oscar Taveras 1 07/26/13

What the gently caress

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Giancarlo Stanton is a free agent after the 2016 season. In 2014 the Astros are still a 90-loss team. Stanton isn't going to make them win this year, and I wouldn't exactly pencil them in as likely title contenders for 2015 either. So basically they'd be making a trade to hopefully improve the team exactly 2 years from now and with some luck next year. I honestly don't know if that's worth it, unless of course they think they're in a position to offer the kind of balls-out extension that Stanton would require. Maybe the Pirates, whose window includes all of 2014-2016, pull the trigger on a deal like that, but it feels like the Astros just aren't a great match.

It's also worth pointing out that Stanton is now having a career year. At the time of trade talks he was coming off a down year and had dealt with injuries in consecutive seasons.

Abel Wingnut posted:

It's kind of funny that they didn't talk to the Cubs. They obviously wanted youth and the Cubs definitely have some prospects. Given that list you would think they'd throw out one of those lopsided deals at Jed but I guess not.

It seems like most of the discussions started with a team calling and saying "hey, we're interested in Bud Norris" not the Astros just making a silly demand. The Cubs would have had absolutely no reason to want Norris, and even less reason to give up prospects for him, so why even bother?

e: Also some of the lines on there indicate a team going "yeah these guys are just off the table" without being asked for them, like the Cardinals one just quoted in the previous post.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 1, 2014

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

It seems like most of the discussions started with a team calling and saying "hey, we're interested in Bud Norris" not the Astros just making a silly demand. The Cubs would have had absolutely no reason to want Norris, and even less reason to give up prospects for him, so why even bother?

e: Also some of the lines on there indicate a team going "yeah these guys are just off the table" before even being asked, like the Cardinals one just quoted in the previous post.

I like the Jameson Taillon/Gregory Polanco offer. I'm sure Neal heard that and was like "the gently caress? I did say Bud Norris right?".

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

No Safe Word posted:

I like the Jameson Taillon/Gregory Polanco offer. I'm sure Neal heard that and was like "the gently caress? I did say Bud Norris right?".

Yeah, that's another example of players being off the table. If you read the leak, it's actually NH going "yeah there's no way you're getting Taillon or Polanco; these other guys, on the other hand, are at least worth our time to discuss." I thought the information that the Pirates value(d) those two prospects on a higher tier than Glasnow et al was interesting enough to note.

Probably I should go through and make a different result code for "yeah don't even ask about these guys" but :effort:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am very disappointed that at no time did Luhnow call fleece-magnet Kevin Towers.

EDIT: Also if I'm reading this right, Billy Beane offered to take Stassi and/or Peacock back from the Astros along with Delino Deshields for Brett Anderson?

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 1, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Having Stanton right now sets you up better for contention better than theoretical Springer and Correa in 2 years

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

quote:

@Buster_ESPN 2m

Most MLB folks I spoke with today re: Houston leaked documents felt bad for the Astros. Could've happened to most teams, they believe.

At a winter meetings a few years ago I was noodling around on Mets staff laptop that they left: unguarded, open, turned on, unpassworded, connected to network drives. I left my USB thumb drive at home so I couldn't borrow all their arbitration files that I was looking through but I did snag an email directory of everyone in baseball. So yes, it could have happened to anyone, especially bad teams like the mets.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
http://m.astros.mlb.com/hou/video/t...t_id%3D34178203

RIP this baseball, brutally murdered by George Springer.

Seriously just close your eyes and listen to the crack.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

zakharov posted:

Man you are not kidding :stare:

That's like, one of the best pure bat-sounds I've ever heard.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Tony Phillips posted:

For some reason the M's fan in me mentally read that as José Paniagua and I was absolutely shocked that he was still playing somewhere.
Hell, I read it correctly and still had the same thought.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

http://www.twitch.tv/hunterpence

So this is a thing!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

zakharov posted:

Altuve's expression at the end :3:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hey great Gattis has a bulging thoracic disc and is getting an epidural tomorrow.

It'll never get better and will nag him until he retires :w00t:

Also cortisone is the most common treatment and it's degenerative as well!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zakharov posted:

Funny time for this to happen given the current discussion

(I'd still have made the Giancarlo trade)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Hey great Gattis has a bulging thoracic disc and is getting an epidural tomorrow.

I got an epidural for a bulging thoracic disc and it didn't do jack poo poo but give me a numb spot on my back about the size of a quarter

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

zakharov posted:

Hearing it live was crazy impressive. The one he hit to centerfield about a week ago was even louder off the bat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So the Jake Arrieta trade from Baltimore to Chicago is looking like an awesome move by the Cubs.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
Cubs-Orioles trades forever.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

What is even going on here?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

So the Jake Arrieta trade from Baltimore to Chicago is looking like an awesome move by the Cubs.

I don't think I'm going to get excited about a pitcher in the year 2014.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Hunter Pence is crazy good at making a card game sound cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

FizFashizzle posted:

Eh cortisone has been a magic drug for like 50ish years. I wouldn't be too excited.

• Locked thread