Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
How is the upper Nile dam project going and is there any sign of Sisi making moves to try and stop it? Losing control of the Nile's water seems like a recipe for things to get even worse in Egypt.

How are u posted:

Mellowing with age, RIP LF :ussr:

*adds name to the list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Rip Testes posted:

It doesn't seem to add up to me that these Sunnis claim they beat out al-Qaeda and can do the same to ISIS, but the reason they don't is because it's a marriage of convenience against the central Iraqi government. If they are bad enough to take out ISIS and ISIS can liberate nearly all the Sunni Arab cities, why didn't the Sunnis do this from the start and skip out on having to bother with ISIS in the first place? Is it a weaponry thing the Sunni Arabs lack and expect to get more of at some (post al-Maliki) point?

The Sunnis being able to defeat ISIS does not mean that they can beat the government forces by themselves; ISIS is also AFAIK not solely responsible for liberating all of the Sunni Arab cities in Iraq.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

How is the upper Nile dam project going and is there any sign of Sisi making moves to try and stop it? Losing control of the Nile's water seems like a recipe for things to get even worse in Egypt.

Which one are you talking about? There's a twin dam project on a set of Nile tributaries in Sudan (with Chinese backing) that's progressing fine, and the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam on the Blue Nile fork is also proceeding quite well, with the diversion works for the main dam construction already in operation since May 2013. For both of them the Egyptian government has been trying to stop them for a long time, but the countries have gone right on ahead and they're both a little too late to stop in full.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
The Gaza Strip is getting bombed right now

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Didn't the kids disappear/die in the West Bank? It's like bombing Albany for something that happened in New York City.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Didn't the kids disappear/die in the West Bank? It's like bombing New York City for something that happened in Congress.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Didn't the kids disappear/die in the West Bank? It's like bombing Albany for something that happened in New York City.

There're all Palestinians, who cares!:smuggo:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

The Gaza Strip is getting bombed right now

What, seriously?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This is a minor quibble, but really people shouldn't be addressing ISIS as IS. In the war of words, not granting them legitimacy as a "state" is pretty important.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

What, seriously?

Yeah, sounds like 15-20 airstrikes in the last half hour or so. Started out seeing a bunch of tweets from the area about it, now some outlets in the region are just getting reports in.

https://twitter.com/andrewchappelle/status/483745845431382017
https://twitter.com/fulelo
https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon

Blumenthal is Blumenthal but he's doing a lot of retweeting
https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Welcome to I/P, enjoy your stay :shepface:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What the hell are they even shooting at this time?

Besides Palestinians I mean.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

What, seriously?

Are you surprised? I almost admire that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Like they even need an excuse at this point

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Al Jazeera producer says "Israeli strikes appear to be hitting empty military training grounds" so there you go

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Are you surprised? I almost admire that.

I feel like I shouldn't be. I mean, they keep doing this exact sort of poo poo so it's really a perfectly normal response for Israel, I guess, but for some reason it keeps surprising me anyhow.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

quote:

May God avenge the deaths of Naftali, Eyal and Gilad.

Wait a minute, I thought Israel was the secular, liberal, tolerant state, not the one screaming "AllahuYawah(u?) Akbar, death to our enemies!!!" while waving an ak47 around?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I wouldn't completely rule out a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip for this go-around, even if it's only a temporary occupation. A lot of Netanyahu's allies are baying for some serious blood this time.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

New Division posted:

I wouldn't completely rule out a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip for this go-around, even if it's only a temporary occupation. A lot of Netanyahu's allies are baying for some serious blood this time.

Nothing makes Israeli governments fall faster than IDF casualties.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

New Division posted:

Yeah probably. They made a big deal out of the kidnapping and subsequent deaths, so they might decide to put boots on the ground, but I guess we'll see.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647023

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

icantfindaname posted:

Wait a minute, I thought Israel was the secular, liberal, tolerant state, not the one screaming "AllahuYawah(u?) Akbar, death to our enemies!!!" while waving an ak47 around?

If we're lucky this collective punishment action will have another double name like operation pillar of cloud / pillar of defence.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Nothing makes Israeli governments fall faster than IDF casualties.

I dunno, I think the Israeli public has been whipped into more of a frenzy than usual by these kidnappings. I think they'd go for a brief incursion like Cast Lead again. It's up to Netanyahu though. I think he can get away with it if he decides to indulge in a little war of revenge.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Iraq Situation Report: June 30, 2014
by Ahmed Ali, ISW Iraq Team, Heather L. Pickerell

Informative site for updates on ISIS and Iraq situation.

edit:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

so what happens when ISIS takes Baghdad?
ISIS BATTLE PLAN FOR BAGHDAD
Jun 27, 2014 - Jessica Lewis
Source: ISW

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

*adds name to the list*

Sisi met with the Ethiopian PM in Equatorial Guinea just a week ago, and they "reconciled" the issues with the dam. Turns out what they did was produce a joint statement with the Ethiopian government pledging to never pursue anything that would harm the Egyptian population or their water supply, and the Egyptian government agreeing to help the Ethiopian people in their drive for development.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Boon posted:

This is a minor quibble, but really people shouldn't be addressing ISIS as IS. In the war of words, not granting them legitimacy as a "state" is pretty important.

You do realize that either way you are calling them the "Islamic State", right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boon posted:

Agreed, and can we please stop referring to the Third Reich thanks

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Ham posted:

Sisi met with the Ethiopian PM in Equatorial Guinea just a week ago, and they "reconciled" the issues with the dam. Turns out what they did was produce a joint statement with the Ethiopian government pledging to never pursue anything that would harm the Egyptian population or their water supply, and the Egyptian government agreeing to help the Ethiopian people in their drive for development.

Will that amount to anything? The colonial agreement that defines the status quo of the use of the Nile is really lovely for everyone who isn't Egypt and it isn't like the Egyptian economy is in a fit state to maintain Egyptian development let alone help anywhere else develop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Will that amount to anything? The colonial agreement that defines the status quo of the use of the Nile is really lovely for everyone who isn't Egypt and it isn't like the Egyptian economy is in a fit state to maintain Egyptian development let alone help anywhere else develop.

What it amounts to is Egypt's not going to do anything crazy like attempt to attack Ethiopia and Sudan over their respective dams on waters flowing to the main Nile.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Nintendo Kid posted:

What it amounts to is Egypt's not going to do anything crazy like attempt to attack Ethiopia and Sudan over their respective dams on waters flowing to the main Nile.

They say that now but when Sudan and Ethiopia aren't letting all the water flow down to Egypt in the middle of a drought doing crazy stuff might look a lot more appealing to Sisi.

Whoa... Sisi is Isis backwards. :aaa:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ReV VAdAUL posted:

isis is is is with no space between ises.

Makes you think :350:

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Obama is also similar to Osama, wait...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TQXo5105Gg

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

They say that now but when Sudan and Ethiopia aren't letting all the water flow down to Egypt in the middle of a drought doing crazy stuff might look a lot more appealing to Sisi.

At the earliest that can't happen til 2016 for the Sudan project (which is right near the ethiopian border) and 2017 for the Ethiopia project, and frankly Ethiopia's military is more than a match for the Egyptians.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

isis is is is with no space between ises.

Makes you think :350:

Osiris is the virus.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Fangz posted:

I'm not 'glorifying' monarchies. I'm saying that repressive states historically can last for a very long time. ISIS does not have only to "kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down".

I believe we are talking about different things, I do not know enough to make that judgement.

What I meant was that repression doesn't work, and will always end badly. I believe oppression is just a form of corruption, and the system has already failed at that point. You associate oppression with monarchies because it is a corruption of a hierarchical system.

It can carry on for many reasons, but you do the regular citizens disrespect by saying repression worked on them and the rulers made good pragmatic choices. They clearly didn't, ie ISIS, so corrupted that they could not see compromise, give/take, as an option; because the original corruption is the belief that they are always right/good/holy, a natural trapping of success. Do you understand what I mean? Monarchy is a fraud held together by scotch tape and falls the moment the adhesive looses strength, which requires time or an external input. I would not bet on any Monarchy or assume the whole is as it is.

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 1, 2014

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp
nm

GuyinCognito fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 1, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So how close are these suckers to Baghdad? I haven't been following this nearly enough.

Nothing like knowing the $trillions the US spent and £billions the UK spent and lives expended went to excellent long term regional stability and investment. Far better than spending it domestically!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which one are you talking about? There's a twin dam project on a set of Nile tributaries in Sudan (with Chinese backing) that's progressing fine, and the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam on the Blue Nile fork is also proceeding quite well, with the diversion works for the main dam construction already in operation since May 2013. For both of them the Egyptian government has been trying to stop them for a long time, but the countries have gone right on ahead and they're both a little too late to stop in full.

Could their airforce bomb the dam sites if they wanted?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Lord Twisted posted:

So how close are these suckers to Baghdad? I haven't been following this nearly enough.

Nothing like knowing the $trillions the US spent and £billions the UK spent and lives expended went to excellent long term regional stability and investment. Far better than spending it domestically!

They're not going to take Baghdad. They barely have enough members to hold what they have right now, let alone absorb millions upon millions of shiites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there a chance of some kind of symbolic attack or raid on Baghdad? They may not have the manpower to take or hold it, but serious violence in the capital might be another blow to the Iraqi government.

• Locked thread