Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Biscuit Joiner posted:

It's called a Henderson tool.

Here is a video of it in action
:nms: :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOSXPYZOGA:nms: :nws:

Writing this brought back memories of castrating more livestock than I care to remember. Never used this tool though. Banding for goats and cattle, cutting for hogs.

Isn't recovery time like a day with the "twist-off" method and closer to a week with the bands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Aaaahhh holy gently caress

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SopWATh posted:

Isn't recovery time like a day with the "twist-off" method and closer to a week with the bands?

I know I was back up on my feet within a few hours.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma
Jesus... do they knock the horse out first? Or do they just strap it down somehow and give it a local anesthetic?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

tiananman posted:

Jesus... do they knock the horse out first? Or do they just strap it down somehow and give it a local anesthetic?

amimals dont got no pain :clint:

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

tiananman posted:

Most animals lose consciousness within 30 seconds of you starting to twist their nuts off. It's all very natural.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

JESUS CHRISTTTT

my balls hurt by proxy now thanks a lot

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I saw the title of the video and closed it. Then after an hour I went back and saw long enough to see the tool in action and :stare:

I know saying "don't click" makes goons click but seriously, don't loving click that.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

SopWATh posted:

I'm not sure of the recovery time time with the twist off method, I've never done that. It takes about a month for the scrotum and testicles to fall off with the banding method. The goats seemed to be uncomfortable for an hour or so after the banding but after that they didn't seem to care or notice.

Hogs were the worst, cutting them open and manually removing the the testicles. The giving them (the testicles) to my uncle who took them home and ate them. We later ate the hogs, they were delicious.

Content but no picture -

I used to install elevators for a relatively big company. The mechanics would open the door to the elevator shaft and put a stepladder from the door opening over to the opposite wall of the shaft and have no issues going out on the ladder.
Similar to this...

...but 20-30 floors of open elevator shaft under the ladder. I refused to do it. We were supposed to rig up ropes and harnesses but they never did, according to them it would take to long. We were paid by the hour.

Also, it's a lot of fun riding on top of the elevator cabin until a co-workers clothes got snagged on the something and was pulled between the cabin and shaft wall then fell 15 stories to his death.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SopWATh posted:

Actually you should bite them off. No joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4Hmc

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

KARMA! posted:

Actually you should bite them off. No joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4Hmc

You obviously didn't watch the video because the rest of us discovered that horse nuts are pretty big.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
They probably don't anesthetize them because the cost and trouble of anesthetizing livestock and horses is too much. Even with cats they just sedate them, they're not under full anesthesia or anything. Cat neuters are barbaric to me, and I assist with them all the time.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Writing this brought back memories of castrating more livestock than I care to remember. Never used this tool though. Banding for goats and cattle, cutting for hogs.

We banded sheep and it was pretty loving miserable. Docking tails I could handle cause it was quick and done, but banding takes time.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
poo poo, we lived in Bumfuck, Nowhere, and everybody neutered goats and sheep with rubber bands. Like the other guy said, they weren't very happy for an hour or so, but didn't seemed bothered after that.

We did it when they were only a few weeks old, so it's probably no more barbaric than circumcision(which is to say, pretty loving barbaric)

Griz
May 21, 2001

JnnyThndrs posted:

poo poo, we lived in Bumfuck, Nowhere, and everybody neutered goats and sheep with rubber bands. Like the other guy said, they weren't very happy for an hour or so, but didn't seemed bothered after that.

I saw cattle being neutered with a knife and they didn't really seem to give a poo poo. they put it in the gate thing, knocked it over, 10 seconds of cutting and mooing, open the gate, the cow gets up and runs off and 2 minutes later it's standing in the pasture eating grass like nothing happened.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volume posted:

I saw the title of the video and closed it. Then after an hour I went back and saw long enough to see the tool in action and :stare:

I know saying "don't click" makes goons click but seriously, don't loving click that.

How sheltered was your childhood? Did you never go to any farms or anything out in the country?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's worth considering that alot of prey animals mask their pain, and the best explanation for that is predators like to target sick or injured animals, and masking distress increases an individual's fitness.

I don't think individuals offering themselves up as sacrificial lambs for predators has ever been selected for, because that would decreases the fitness of the entire group.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

How sheltered was your childhood? Did you never go to any farms or anything out in the country?

we took a field trip to a farm when i was in kindergarten. castration was not part of the day's activities.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Phobophilia posted:

It's worth considering that alot of prey animals mask their pain, and the best explanation for that is predators like to target sick or injured animals, and masking distress increases an individual's fitness.

I don't think individuals offering themselves up as sacrificial lambs for predators has ever been selected for, because that would decreases the fitness of the entire group.

Forced or coerced sacrifice exists in nature, as with penguins pushing others into the water first to test if a predator is waiting to eat them.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Is this a common thing to just up and do these days?

"What should we do, go to the water park, vineyard, or random farm and watch castrations?"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Brannock posted:

in TYOOL 2014, it is not "sheltered" if you've never personally witnessed the castration of a farm animal

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm glad I had farmer friends, IMO.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mike the TV posted:

Forced or coerced sacrifice exists in nature, as with penguins pushing others into the water first to test if a predator is waiting to eat them.

Or there are penguin serial killers

E: next on law and order: special penguins unit

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Here is a video of it in action
:nms: :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOSXPYZOGA:nms: :nws:

Rememeber how I said that radiation was the scarietst thing a few pages back? I think that's not actually the case.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Griz posted:

I saw cattle being neutered with a knife and they didn't really seem to give a poo poo. they put it in the gate thing, knocked it over, 10 seconds of cutting and mooing, open the gate, the cow gets up and runs off and 2 minutes later it's standing in the pasture eating grass like nothing happened.

It's often much harder on the livestock than the farmer.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Philthy posted:

Is this a common thing to just up and do these days?

"What should we do, go to the water park, vineyard, or random farm and watch castrations?"

I had to be there to watch my dogs get castrated.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

someone really really needs to make one of the good shots in that castration tool video into a gif

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Indecisive posted:

JESUS CHRISTTTT

my balls hurt by proxy now thanks a lot

So do mine, but because of this:

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I didn't mean to drop the ball and start a testicle chat derail.

If they had a second ladder to use...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Awful posted:

Twists them nuts of with no mess.

To change the subject...

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahahah nature gives no fucks for our pathetic human endeavors.

"Hi Mr. Tree, just gotta take off a few branches here."

"Get hosed, apething!"

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Biscuit Joiner posted:

No, he clearly said "drill attachment," which is somehow way more terrifying than those chromed nutclippers.

Edit: Oh. I watched the video. Oh. Oh dear.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Three-Phase posted:

Rememeber how I said that radiation was the scarietst thing a few pages back? I think that's not actually the case.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this owns

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Seeing these in proximity to each other confused me. But the second one is engineered to all safety specifications

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

KoRMaK posted:

Seeing these in proximity to each other confused me. But the second one is engineered to all safety specifications

The first one is nuts, the second less so.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

noooooooooo

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

moller posted:

The first one is nuts, the second less so.

Nice. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1cOZIbba54

• Locked thread