Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Ims productions needs to hurry up, I wanna see the in car theater edits from this weekend. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Scoring pylon is getting replaced at IMS

Looking thru old photos of the races on Getty Images, it was installed in '94 and the first one was built around the same time they replaced the original pagoda with the control tower in 1958 or 1959. Also it's pretty crazy to see how much the fencing and barriers have changed over the years.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Indy looks 100% different than when I was a kid, that's for sure.

It has that Yankee Stadium thing going for it, though.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

The Star is reporting they're replacing it with an "all-digital pylon" (isn't it already all... digits) that will be up by the Whatever The Insert Name Booze 400 At The Brickyard™ race. http://www.indystar.com/picture-gallery/sports/motor/indy-car/2014/06/30/ims-scoring-pylon-taken-down/11808039/

Also has some more pictures (for you to photoshop the Hulkster onto).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Indycar 2014: Bunch of God drat Idiots

kidcoelacanth posted:

"Evidently, it's pretty slick!"

Lost my poo poo at both of these moments on the Saturday race.

L_Harrison posted:

I'm talking about where Hawksworth is pushing Montoya into walls when they were already side-by-side, acting like he's not even there. Luckily, Montoya has enough sense to back out of the throttle and avoid a likely wreck involving both of them. That's just plain reckless.

I'm going to file that one under some crazy loving hard defense on Hawksworth's part and some crazy loving moves out of Montoya. loving awesome to watch.

Also... of the three races in Texas this year, the worst one by far was the oval :vince:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
So, GM just announced another 8 million recalls, putting the total at near 30 million this year alone. Lawsuit settlements are gonna start coming in, fines from the government too, and it's already cost a few billion just to do the recalls.

What's the engine contracts look like? 'Cause I'm betting GM isn't gonna be loving around at Indy much longer.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

VikingSkull posted:

So, GM just announced another 8 million recalls, putting the total at near 30 million this year alone. Lawsuit settlements are gonna start coming in, fines from the government too, and it's already cost a few billion just to do the recalls.

What's the engine contracts look like? 'Cause I'm betting GM isn't gonna be loving around at Indy much longer.

Might be a good idea for someone who was toeing in the water and do what happened 20 years ago and someone picks up the Illmor engine.

I just wonder what else will be affected on top of it if the Pratt and Miller may axe some things from their racing department.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

You generally don't want to cancel your only positive PR generators when you are having horrible PR.

If you really want to theorycraft and handwring this stuff, the TF Biz forum is probably where you want to go. Its loving horrible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thought the camo-car was gone for good? GUESS AGAIN.

I actually liked the camo-car and i like this one too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

You generally don't want to cancel your only positive PR generators when you are having horrible PR.

If you really want to theorycraft and handwring this stuff, the TF Biz forum is probably where you want to go. Its loving horrible.

a good post.

"Terrible" and "Trackforum" should always go together fwiw.

ALOHA,,,YOUNG LION,,,,BIG SMOKE.

e: One exception is the guy on there with the Tribe Called Quest lyrics in his sig. He's my bud from twitter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Thought the camo-car was gone for good? GUESS AGAIN.

I actually liked the camo-car and i like this one too.

So now he can really sneak up on people to rear-end them!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Is that even an official camo pattern for NG? pfft.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

So now he can really sneak up on people to rear-end them!

Which also happens to be the section of the field where Graham will finish this weekend with one of the best looking liveries I've ever seen.

Any goons going to the race make sure to get some good pics of it ;)

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

KingShibby posted:

Which also happens to be the section of the field where Graham will finish this weekend with one of the best looking liveries I've ever seen.

Any goons going to the race make sure to get some good pics of it ;)

If he keeps going like he has been a goon might to get to take parts of it home with them.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Milwaukee tickets purchased. :snoop:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Minto Took posted:

Milwaukee tickets purchased. :snoop:

If all goes well my wife and I will be going to Milwaukee next year. The plan is to take the car ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee and camp the weekend by the track.

PotatoJudge posted:

If he keeps going like he has been a goon might to get to take parts of it home with them.

Pocono is on my list of "bucket list" tracks because it's 10+ hours away to drive, and that's a long rear end drive.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

Well that's if they actually skunk out their poo poo engineering management culture and revitalize the internals, but I doubt that's going to happen. They are still selling cars.
But crazier things have happened, I wouldn't put money on that safe bet.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Who's ready for this weekend?

(My friend has our Sunday tickets)

KingShibby posted:

Pocono is on my list of "bucket list" tracks because it's 10+ hours away to drive, and that's a long rear end drive.

Just plan it and go next year, it's not that long of a drive, the pay off is completely worth it. You just have to set aside two days to travel which isn't that bad since it's a holiday weekend (unless your employer is awful).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Fontana is about six hours away from me (seven, counting pit stops) and I do it as a one-night affair. Do it. :colbert:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

KingShibby posted:

It is 11.5 hours of driving for me, and I've been twice. I usually do it in one shot, though I wouldn't recommend that for most people. I take a 30 minute nap at gas stops if I need it and it isn't a big deal to knock out. I'm probably going to go next year (assuming it stays on the schedule), so if you want to drive a bit south we can meet up.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

SFH1989 posted:

Who's ready for this weekend?

(My friend has our Sunday tickets)

Just plan it and go next year, it's not that long of a drive, the pay off is completely worth it. You just have to set aside two days to travel which isn't that bad since it's a holiday weekend (unless your employer is awful).

Hey Pocono buddy :hfive:

Lucky for me, Pocono is only about a 2 hour drive from Philadelphia.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I just stumbled across this picture from 2011 which I am pretty certain I got from here, and I feel it's still relevant today, you would just need to update the drivers names.

Or actually it probably needs to be inverted with it being the Power Top 5 accidents he has caused.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

SFH1989 posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fontana is about six hours away from me (seven, counting pit stops) and I do it as a one-night affair. Do it. :colbert:

Pvt. Public posted:

It is 11.5 hours of driving for me, and I've been twice. I usually do it in one shot, though I wouldn't recommend that for most people. I take a 30 minute nap at gas stops if I need it and it isn't a big deal to knock out. I'm probably going to go next year (assuming it stays on the schedule), so if you want to drive a bit south we can meet up.

Next year probably won't work for Pocono since my wife and I wanna take a tropical vacation in addition to 2 or 3 IndyCar weekends, but it's definitely pretty high on my track list to visit.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Thinking about it, there's nothing really stopping me from going to Pocono this weekend. It's only like an hour and a half away. Going to have to consider this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

kidcoelacanth posted:

Thinking about it, there's nothing really stopping me from going to Pocono this weekend. It's only like an hour and a half away. Going to have to consider this.

Tickets for kids under 12 are half off!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Hey Pocono buddy :hfive:

Lucky for me, Pocono is only about a 2 hour drive from Philadelphia.

gently caress yeah, did you go last year?

It's only about three hours for me. My friends and I make a weekend of it.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Do it. This year should be good since they have a race worth of experience and another 100 miles.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

kidcoelacanth posted:

Pfft I drove 4.5hrs to Indy followed by 3hrs to Detroit, I'd kill to only be 1.5hrs away from a race :colbert:

Anyone camping at the track? Hopefully nobody gets murdered like at Indy...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Considered it and decided against it, ultimately. If I was still employed I wouldn't be as worried about money, but, alas. Always next year.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Dale Coyne's race winning chassis had a little more room for go-go juice than it should have..

http://racer.com/indycar/item/105003-indycar-coyne-penalized-after-houston-race-1-victory

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Glad to see that the technology and telemetry on these cars is good enough to say that whatever amount extra didn't actually come into play, though.

Wonder how close it was - i.e. if it would've come into play if the race had gone green instead of yellow after yellow.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I wonder if they took into account that he might've had fuel pickup issues if not for the larger tank. I'm sure they did.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, he never got THAT low on fuel so it didnt factor in. The fuel tank itself is basically a box with a big rubber/plastic bag stuffed into it, then filled with what looks like pingpong balls until the volume of fuel it will take hits the 18.5 gallon limit. The bags can stretch/deform a little sometimes, even after you've measured it spot on. The press release makes it sound like the overage was super small, hence the small penalty. With Coynes budget, they probably just haven't tested it in a while.

The rear wing being low is weird, because its checked in tech like 5 times during the race weekend, but a low rear wing is like the LAST thing you want at a street circuit...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

The rear wing being low is weird, because its checked in tech like 5 times during the race weekend, but a low rear wing is like the LAST thing you want at a street circuit...

Unless DCR used all of their windtunnel time to figure out something that nobody else knows :pseudo:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWC7j4gGS9w

Will Power's brother is a comedian.

I am posting this because of the kickass stick fighting powers that Will Power apparently has, along with drumming apparently.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In his old KV firesuit, no less.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dan Gelston @APgelston
Pocono Raceway prez Brandon Igdalsky says future of IndyCar at track in jeopardy because of a dramatic attendance drop for Sunday's race.

Dan Gelston @APgelston
Pocono's Igdalsky says ticket sales "were kind of scary" compared to last year. He wouldn't guarantee #IndyCar will race at Pocono in 2015.

Dan Gelston @APgelston
Pocono CEO Brandon Igdalsky plans to talk to IndyCar CEO Mark Miles this wkd about possibly dumping the final year of the contract.

So yeah if you're on the fence about seeing IndyCar at Pocono...better do it this year.

This loving sucks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

good job not going to pocono kidc, you ruined everything

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://racing.ap.org/article/future-indycar-pocono-serious-jeopardy for more information...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think we can all agree that this is kidc's fault alone.

• Locked thread