Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amethyst posted:

Holy poo poo. This is beyond the pale.

Stay away from the comments, ghostery didn't seem to block these ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Les Affaires posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0625-3asek.html

So the Attorney General talks to Muslim leaders to enlist their help in deterring young people from extremist views.

Perhaps he should be talking to a few Catholic leaders around Northern Sydney and Cronulla. I'm sure there's a few extremists in those areas that could do with the same message.

i dont see any Australian Christians going off to fight with the Christian minority in Iraq, or setting up IEDs in the christian states in Burma

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The presser for that meeting was so embarrassing, Brandis couldn't remember the Imam who spoke after him's name and had to shuffle his papers for like 5 seconds to find out what it was. Sheikh..... Saleem?

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Good news, everybody. I listened to the radio again!

Turns out Eric Abetz is still banging on about seasonal fruit picking as a solution to all of Tasmania's unemployment woes. He's even using data that suggests that unemployment welfare recipients have, on average, poorer physical and mental health to justify taking them off welfare for six months to pick fruit, as though the "dignity of work" will forever solve all of your ailments.

I guess I'll stop taking my pills and tell my therapist to kill him are self, all I need is to pick fruit for probably less than minimum wage and none of the benefits proper employment would afford me. :toot:

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
pretty sure the employment solution for tasmania is dentistry

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Endman posted:

Turns out Eric Abetz is still banging on about seasonal fruit picking as a solution to all of Tasmania's unemployment woes.

It's winter, wouldn't 'seasonal fruit picking' not be an option right now even if it did work?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Not even going to bother with the rest of the article, this is enough

quote:

LNP executive president Bruce McIver says Queenslanders could "sleep better at night" knowing Mr Newman was premier. Liberal National Party executive president Bruce McIver has likened Premier Campbell Newman to a Batman-like protector of the state, ...

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cleretic posted:

It's winter, wouldn't 'seasonal fruit picking' not be an option right now even if it did work?

I don't think it matters whatsoever. He knows perfectly well that fruit picking isn't going to magically get everyone gainful employment, but he knows that championing this magical option in the political narrative he's constructing will provide him with an excuse to further demonise the unemployed and build public support for further cuts to welfare and the establishment of work for the dole schemes.

Australians already believe that if you don't take any job that's offered to you, no matter how degrading, you must not deserve welfare.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lid posted:

Not even going to bother with the rest of the article, this is enough

David Feeney, member for Batman and the current Shadow Minister for Justice would like to have a word with him.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It's IR reforms from another angle. If you cannot access welfare and need any job, then an employer can pay less and have shitter conditions and still have people begging to work.

An employeer can pay less and have shitter conditions and employees cannot quit or complain as they cannot access welfare.

They use fruit picking as their example, one of the most commonly known exploitive industries.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Cleretic posted:

Tasmanian employment solution:

6 months fruit picking (2 hrs per week each for $5)
6 months on no-dole
Average out the stats so that it looks like 20,000 unemployed are really 10,000 employed
ProfitRe-elected

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Endman posted:

Good news, everybody. I listened to the radio again!

Turns out Eric Abetz is still banging on about seasonal fruit picking as a solution to all of Tasmania's unemployment woes. He's even using data that suggests that unemployment welfare recipients have, on average, poorer physical and mental health to justify taking them off welfare for six months to pick fruit, as though the "dignity of work" will forever solve all of your ailments.

I guess I'll stop taking my pills and tell my therapist to kill him are self, all I need is to pick fruit for probably less than minimum wage and none of the benefits proper employment would afford me. :toot:

You'll pick fruit and you'll be loving pleased about it. If you don't like it, move interstate to find work :shepface:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0702-3b7li.html

lol...

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
FOR all the public outcry over the lack of fairness and equity in the budget, scarcely a word is uttered in defence of future generations. It seems today’s parents and grandparents care little for George Washington’s advice: “We should avoid ungenerously throwing upon posterity the burden that we ourselves should bear.”

While this may sound uncharitable, baby boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) and their cousins loudly resist any moves to crimp their lifestyle, content to leave it to future generations to pick up the tab. And pick it up they will. If the budget doesn’t pass, by the time today’s seven-year-olds get a vote they are likely to inherit nearly $700 billion in debt with a deficit of $25bn in today’s money, with no end in sight. That’s a far cry from no net debt and a 1 per cent gross domestic product surplus left to them at birth by the Howard government.

When, in 2002, then treasurer Peter Costello released Australia’s first intergenerational report, we were given a clear insight into the challenges of an ageing population. He told us: “Australia is pretty much at the best point — the sweet spot — in the demographic transition, now.”

He predicted: “After 2010, the depen­dency ratio — the ratio between children and older people of working age — is expected to increase more rapidly as baby boomers reach pension age.”

How right he was. Since 2010, we have lost the equivalent of 200,000 mainly baby boomers, from the workforce. Another 250,000 are expected to retire between now and 2025. The impact of these retirements will be a growing headwind to future growth as it bears down on productivity. As Costello said: “Demography is destiny.” Armed with the intergenerational report, the Howard government set out to protect the interests of future generations by minimising the inevitable economic pressures it foresaw building beyond 2010.

It cleared the national debt and established the Future Fund to meet the growing pension claims of public servants. Contemporary taxpayers were required to contribute their share of future liabilities. Costello was looking 40 years into the future and beyond the forward estimates.

The Abbott government similarly is seized with the challenges posed by our demographics. Policies such as paid parental leave, the raising of the pensionable age to 70 for those under 50 and providing incentives for the employment of eligible workers over 50 are all directed at keeping as many people in the workforce as possible to boost productivity. In attempting to bring the budget into balance, the government is exercising a duty of care to future generations. But it is a lonely position.

Unfortunately for the Abbott government, its policy options are limited. Gone is the budget surplus. Public debt stands at 30 per cent of GDP and is rising rapidly. Many of the Howard and Labor government concessions and supplements are no longer affordable.

Demographic change is working against fiscal balance with escalating claims from an ageing population having to be met by a shrinking number of taxpayers in more uncertain economic times.

Inaction means government spending outstripping revenue when our terms of trade are falling and are expected to fall for another decade. Our labour and energy costs are among the world’s highest; productivity growth is weak and our global competitiveness is sliding.

It is clear that unless Australia takes stock of these developments, our fiscal situation must deteriorate further.

Yet there is collective opposition to attempts to remedy this, and a refusal to pay as you go. By definition it will fall to future generations to shoulder the burden. Where is the fairness in that?

By design or default, it is socially destructive to pit generations against each other. Take for example our 17 to 24-year-olds, 27 per cent of whom are not in full-time work or full-time study. Their poor education has left them exposed. Even those who seek part-time employment are likely to be denied because of unrealistic award structures. Inevitable feelings of alienation are what have led to the social unrest we have witnessed in Europe and Britain.

In his Reflections on the Revolution in France, Edmund Burke wrote that the real social contract is the partnership between the generations, “not only between those who are living but between those who are living, those who are dead and those who are to be born”.

The experience of the 17 to 24- year-olds suggests that contract is at risk. The young are outnumbered. Baby boomers already exceed the under-15s as a percentage of the population.

Even assuming those voting for the first time would support fiscal balance — unlikely given the culture in which they have been raised — polls suggest they would be easily outvoted.

So, without urgent action, future generations seem destined to become critical of a system that allowed the profligacy and selfishness of previous generations to limit their opportunities.

With the present mix of macro and micro settings, our fiscal imbalances won’t fix themselves. We may pretend we’ll restore balance tomorrow when a “fairer” budget can be found, but realistically we know that day will never come because the longer we wait, the greater the sacrifices needed.

And why not criticise the Coalition for being ham-fisted at selling the budget? It may be cynical but, if it derails the budget, as a political exercise it makes sense. The more the fiscal position deteriorates, the more the government will be blamed.

While it may not be perfect, the Hockey budget is a sensible trade-off between recurrent spending and long-term investment and between structural balance and growth.

It is also the only budget on the table. Much is riding on it passing. Not least, a harmonious society and the future prosperity and social mobility of our young.

Nothing could be more equitable than that.

Maurice Newman is chairman of the government’s Business Advisory Council. The views expressed here are his own.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
"The Baby Boomers have ruined everything! We must act now, by crushing the young and the poor, so that they may one day live in a society free of the debt racked up by their parents!"

-The dumbest loving idiot alive

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I agreed with about the first 80% but then his solution for the problem of the older generations loving over the younger generations was to gently caress over the younger generations.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Endman posted:

Australians already believe that if you don't take any job that's offered to you, no matter how degrading, you must not deserve welfare.

Its the 'work for the fruit' programme. You aren't getting Newstart so you can get on a coach at 3am and get shipped off to pick fruit all day. It's an unpaid, voluntary job, but you are allowed to take home a few kilos of fruit at the end of the day.

Also WORK EXPERIENCE, Dignity of life/work, physical activity is good for mental health etc. Someone get me on the phone with the LNP, I'm full of great ideas. What no, I don't want to work for free; why do you ask?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Tokamak posted:

Its the 'work for the fruit' programme. You aren't getting Newstart so you can get on a coach at 3am and get shipped off to pick fruit all day. It's an unpaid, voluntary job, but you are allowed to take home a few kilos of fruit at the end of the day.

Oh hell yes I love slav-I mean uh the dignity of work where do I sign up?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Sanguine posted:

Tasmanian employment solution:

6 months fruit picking (2 hrs per week each for $5)
6 months on no-dole
Average out the stats so that it looks like 20,000 unemployed are really 10,000 employed
ProfitRe-elected

They aren't even committed to developing the fruit industry so the dole bludgers have something to pick: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-01/tas-wine-node/5563280

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

They aren't even committed to developing the fruit industry so the dole bludgers have something to pick: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-01/tas-wine-node/5563280

If there's not enough work to go around, you get to hang out, take in the views and pick your nose. You can make it a game, where you substitute the tired workers with fresh ones to reach PEAK EFFICIENCY.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
i always found those stupid games for five year olds that are all like

"make a burger" or "make a sushi" or "make a pizza" and serve it in as quick time as you can, to be pretty sinister

we're basically teaching five year olds to be waitresses and maximise profits, and all the "add-ons" you can buy like a fan or paying staff higher are just so that they're more motivated and serve burgers faster, rather than the fact that you're a benevolent dictator

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Teddy Tavern is an excellent video game and I won't hear a word against it, fucker

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

gay picnic defence posted:

Oh no, the fruit growers can't afford to pay their staff anymore. We better abolish that minimum wage.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Did somebody say work? Where do I sign up?!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Bring your soul, plus 100 points of ID and meet the devil in your nearest 'shady warehouse district'.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Anidav posted:

You can come in and work for a week. We'll pay you in dignity.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I'll pay you to clean my apartment once a week, you'll get $5 a week and you can live in my (unpowered) garage.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

'It's obscene': Factory site illegally housed more than 15 foreigners
July 2, 2014 - 1:27PM
Rachel Olding
Reporter

A furious woman whose business was destroyed in a building fire in Alexandria on Wednesday morning said her landlord had started housing foreign nationals illegally in caravans and shipping containers at the back of the run-down site two months ago to "make a quick buck".

The ferocious blaze overnight has uncovered a squalid, illegal housing set-up that NSW Fire and Rescue Commissioner Greg Mullins said was shocking and outrageous.

Vicki Bonneville, whose catering company occupied one of four units in the Burrows Road complex, said landlord and owner Masaaki Imaeda was renting out an old bus with no wheels and had piled two caravans on top of each other to house at least 15 Korean and Japanese nationals.

He had a portaloo in a car wash area and washing machines and other appliances scattered around the complex.

Two sets of caravans were piled on top of each other with metal ladders joining them.

Several people lived in a graffiti-riddled bus with no wheels and windows shielded using scraps of fabric was housing several people.

Electricity was wired to some of the containers and caravans and Ms Bonneville said they would shower in an office at the front of the complex.

"About two months ago, I saw all these Japanese kids coming there and I said to Masaaki 'you've got to be careful'," Ms Bonneville said.

"Then I went to my garage one day and I had rats in there and I've never had rats. It's because there was food in the area.

"It's obscene, now I've lost my business because of his greed. That's it, I'm done."

She had built up her business over four years and had enough equipment in the unit to cater for a wedding for 150 people.

Commissioner Mullins said firefighters arrived at 1.40am expecting to be confronted by a ferocious, but fairly routine, industrial fire at the sprawling site sandwiched between a public works building and a bus depot.

"But within a couple of minutes, it became a rescue operation," he said.

Eleven young people crawled out through the thick smoke and another four were found cowering in fear in shipping containers and caravans that were melting in the intense heat.

"It was just chilling," Commissioner Mullins said.

He said they were trapped in the complex and it was a miracle no one died.

The number of firefighters quickly swelled to 80 as they tried to battle 20-metre high flames while also rescuing frightened occupants.

"I am outraged that there would be something like this in the heart of Sydney," Commissioner Mullins said. "If [crews] hadn't noticed them they would be dead."

The fire was not being treated as suspicious and probably started in a building where the backpackers were not sleeping and possibly didn't have access to, he said.

Mr Imaeda attended the scene on Wednesday morning but refused to comment except to say that he lived in the complex.

Fairfax found online advertisements on Japanese sites advertising the cheap accommodation in Alexandria with Mr Imaeda's phone number listed.

He also rented space out for the storage of boats, mini-vans and buses used for airport transfers.

The area is strictly zoned for industrial use only and Commissioner Mullins said the owner would be issued with an order preventing him from returning to the property.

Police said the young people had been moved to a hotel for the day.

Police and the City of Sydney Council are investigating.

A spokesman for Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said there was no early indication that the tenants were illegal immigrants.

“The government has not received any referral or report regarding possible breaches of the Migration Act relating to persons associated with the fire at Alexandria," he said.

“The government takes breaches of our migration laws very seriously and will make enquiries with the relevant NSW authorities to determine if further investigations are required into possible illegal activity.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad slumlord is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Costello was looking 40 years into the future when he sold assets and slashed taxes year in and out.

We also need to slash the regulation that shielded us from the worst of the GFC because.........

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
"Abbott's Sydney"
/

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"We may have pretended to work but, and I feel this is important to point out, first, they pretended to pay us"

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Got the usual Liberal propaganda in the mail today, but it had a reasonably interesting article in it that's somewhat indicative of the suburb I live in:

Be kinda interesting to see how many suburbs they'd actually run something like that in. Obviously his local polling has not been particularly good for the Libs on this.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Murodese posted:

Got the usual Liberal propaganda in the mail today, but it had a reasonably interesting article in it that's somewhat indicative of the suburb I live in:

Be kinda interesting to see how many suburbs they'd actually run something like that in. Obviously his local polling has not been particularly good for the Libs on this.

I got beaten up by riot police trying to stop refugees being sent to Yongah Hill :sigh:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Counterpoint

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Also is the ABC Fact Check ever going to stick to a reasonably simple scale or would that stop them from being able to weasel out of ever displaying something resembling a judgement

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Michael Safi's feed in general is a loving nightmare right now: https://twitter.com/safimichael

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001

Captain Pissweak posted:

Michael Safi's feed in general is a loving nightmare right now: https://twitter.com/safimichael
That was loving depressing.

• Locked thread