Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't Carter get the whole bank deregulation thing running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For the hell of it here's my favorite Reagan SNL sketch:
https://screen.yahoo.com/president-reagan-mastermind-000000075.html

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

He just named the only world leader to ever use nuclear weapons...

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Yeh, Carter gets all the hate from the right wing. They think/say he's stupid, backwards, illiterate, bumbling, and basically everything he ain't. It's sickening how revisionist America's memory is.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also, hey, it's July. Maybe we can celebrate how spectacularly loving stupid this country is with a July politics thread.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Didn't Carter get the whole bank deregulation thing running?

If memory serves Carter ran into some of the same issues that Oblammo is running into right now. As in, the right deliberately sabotaged whatever they could get their hands on to make him look worse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

mcmagic posted:

How is LBJ so underrated? He has the most progressive accomplishments of any president in the 20th century not named Roosevelt.

Vietnam, otherwise he would have been best president probably.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

a shameful boehner posted:

I came to post that Quinnipiac poll and am now here for drink recommendations.
Hemlock.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves Carter ran into some of the same issues that Oblammo is running into right now. As in, the right deliberately sabotaged whatever they could get their hands on to make him look worse.
You mean Reagan negotiating over the Iranian hostages?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
US Politics July: Tell Rick that boots can be purchased with normal heels

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If Nixon had beat Kennedy in 1960 America would be lot different (and arguably better) today.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Far too poetic and graceful for American politics.

Drano.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Far too poetic and graceful for American politics.

Drano.

Bleach is in season.

http://youtu.be/bCOMSlPZz4c

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
US Politics July: Happy Birthday America, you dumbshit country

I think it's really fitting of all the poo poo that's happened recently :smith:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

McDowell posted:

If Nixon had beat Kennedy in 1960 America would be lot different (and arguably better) today.

This may very well be true. Kennedy was pretty bad.

Also big shocker at who is listed in that poll is Obama, W, Clinton, HW and Reagan. Deep derp, who are the best presidents? Ummm, all the last ones!

edit: Secret Honor is the best movie about Nixon as it features a drunk Tricky Dick explaining into a tape recorder how he had to sabotage his own presidency to prevent a secret plot by Bohemian Grove to take the country fascist.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 2, 2014

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I find it really hard to stay optimistic about the future of this country. I look at the broken loving political system with little to no hope of repair, an accelerating (you might almost say...accelerationist?) decay of what few social safety nets and worker rights are left to us, a populace willingly deceiving itself to the reality of how badly poo poo is hosed, infrastructure that is 50 years overdue for repair and replacement, and an ongoing consolidation of power into the hands of corporations and the wealthy elites and I just think...why bother? What's the point of trying to fix this fucker if one is lucky enough to be able to emigrate?

This country is a teardown, not a renovation.

God drat (America).

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

I find it really hard to stay optimistic about the future of this country. I look at the broken loving political system with little to no hope of repair, an accelerating (you might almost say...accelerationist?) decay of what few social safety nets and worker rights are left to us, a populace willingly deceiving itself to the reality of how badly poo poo is hosed, infrastructure that is 50 years overdue for repair and replacement, and an ongoing consolidation of power into the hands of corporations and the wealthy elites and I just think...why bother? What's the point of trying to fix this fucker if one is lucky enough to be able to emigrate?

God drat (America).

You forgot to mention that the well off will smugly inform you things are not that bad, which in way makes it all seem worse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Please tell me where this land of milk and honey you plan to emigrate to that does not have serious social and economic issues currently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sweden :allears:

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but hot on the heels of the Hobby Lobby decision comes a letter asking for a religious exemption from Obama's executive order barring federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT folks.

quote:

This week, in the Hobby Lobby case, the Supreme Court ruled that a religious employer could not be required to provide employees with certain types of contraception. That decision is beginning to reverberate: A group of faith leaders is urging the Obama administration to include a religious exemption in a forthcoming LGBT anti-discrimination action.

Their call, in a letter sent to the White House Tuesday, attempts to capitalize on the Supreme Court case by arguing that it shows the administration must show more deference to the prerogatives of religion.

"We are asking that an extension of protection for one group not come at the expense of faith communities whose religious identity and beliefs motivate them to serve those in need," the letter states.

The Hobby Lobby decision has been welcomed by religious-right groups who accuse Obama of waging a war on religion. But Tuesday's letter is different: It comes from as group of faith leaders who are generally friendly to the administration, many of whom have closely advised the White House on issues like immigration reform. The letter was organized by Michael Wear, who worked in the Obama White House and directed faith outreach for the president's 2012 campaign. Signers include two members of Catholics for Obama and three former members of the President’s Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

"This is not an antagonistic letter by any means," Wear told me. But in the wake of Hobby Lobby, he said, "the administration does have a decision to make whether they want to recalibrate their approach to some of these issues."

Last week, the administration announced it would issue an executive order banning federal contractors from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, a reform long sought by gay-rights groups. Such an order would essentially impose on contractors the provisions of the proposed Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which passed the Senate but hasn't been taken up by the House.

But the text of the order has not yet been released, so it is not known whether it will include a religious exemption. (A White House spokesman declined to discuss the order.) ENDA, the proposed federal legislation, does include such an exemption: It specifically does not apply to a broad array of faith-based organizations, from churches to religious-service groups to religious newspapers, meaning those groups could still decline to hire gay or transgender people if they believe it conflicts with their faith. The exemption was included despite fears from some LGBT activists that it could constitute a license to discriminate.

Balancing religious freedom with other concerns, be they gay rights or health-care mandates, is difficult, said Stephen Schneck, director of the Institute for Policy Research and Catholic Studies at Catholic University and a signatory to the letter. The faith community simply wants to make sure its side is heard and respected as the administration tries to thread this delicate needle.

"It would be nice if we had just a little bit more leverage," said Schneck, a onetime cochair of Catholics for Obama. "I am a very strong supporter of LGBT rights, and I am really excited about the prospect of extending provisions against discrimination in federal contracts. But I am also aware that this is an issue that provokes real differences among some of the most important religious organization on the front lines of providing care for the poorest and most vulnerable." Those groups, he said, need to be allowed to work with the government while following the dictates of their faith.

To these religious leaders, Hobby Lobby ought to prompt the White House to reexamine the way it weights religious rights against other priorities. Liberals opposed to the decision, on the other hand, argue it creates a slippery slope to more and more carve-outs from important legislation for claims based on faith. This executive order could be the next battleground for those competing points of view.

Now that the floodgates have apparently been opened, will it be long until people start claiming that hiring black people is against their religion? Or is that too hyperbolic of a prediction?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

God drat.

Because my family and friends can't come with me and I refuse to leave them behind in the smoking crater the Tea Party would turn this country into.

Also given that Millenials lean fairly left, even if they don't think there's much difference between the parties they vote Democratic and that's a start to taking back our god damned country from the loving retarded lunatics that we know as the Tea Party.

I'm not optimistic, but it's possible and I will be damned if I'm not going to at least go down fighting like hell.

It also helps to consider the fact that the Right is completely and utterly hosed in the next POTUS election.

E:

Mr Jaunts posted:

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but hot on the heels of the Hobby Lobby decision comes a letter asking for a religious exemption from Obama's executive order barring federal contractors from discriminating against LGBT folks.

Now that the floodgates have apparently been opened, will it be long until people start claiming that hiring black people is against their religion? Or is that too hyperbolic of a prediction?

Nevermind. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress I HATE THIS loving COUNTRY

Pardon me, I'm going to go smash my head into a wall for the next few hours until it stops hurting and I stop having the brain cells to care about this flaming trainwreck of a country.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 2, 2014

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I had a coworker who just got a job doing design work for a mobile application for a company in Gothenburg who will be emigrating there in the next few months.

I am very jealous.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Berke Negri posted:

Please tell me where this land of milk and honey you plan to emigrate to that does not have serious social and economic issues currently.

Europe is having these "issues" as well but they aren't straight up losing nearly as bad as we are. As for these lands, I'd name anywhere in Scandanavia or Australia/New Zealand off the top of my head.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Mr Jaunts posted:

At this point almost nothing is too crazy to be believable. As long as someone (claims to) believe in it, that's enough for me! It's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion! You can be whatever Christian denomination you want!*

*excludes those ones we don't like (heretics)

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Mr Jaunts posted:

Rachel Maddow actually had a segment on that very thing earlier this week in which a barbecue joint owner in Georgia South Carolina (natch) had a "sincerely held belief" that discriminating against black customers was a religious imperative. So what differentiates that practice from discrimination against contraceptives?

According to this loving garbage rear end Supreme Court, nothing, apparently. I would expect lots and lots of similar challenges in the next months/years.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 2, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Europe is having these "issues" as well but they aren't straight up losing nearly as bad as we are. As for these lands, I'd name anywhere in Scandanavia or Australia/New Zealand off the top of my head.

Isn't Tony Abbott straight up tearing Australia up? And aren't half of the social democratic parties in the EU pretty solidly Third Way by now?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

God drat (America).

The biggest sign of this, in the end, is that the right has declared that America is perfect, it can never fail, and needs no improvement. That's exactly the point where every empire begins its inevitable slide downward and also the point where the slide can't be stopped. It also goes unnoticed day by day because you think of things like "the fall of Rome," as if it were one singular incident where the empire was there one day and not the next. Rather, the decline is gradual.

You see this attitude in the right when you consider statements like "conservatism cannot fail it can only be failed" or the fact that the right will happily destroy the nation and burn everything to down just to spite the left. The inherently adversarial nature of current politics and this idea that people should be loyal to America "just because" isn't helping.

Sorry GOP, you are loving up the nation that you've sworn to protect at all costs and you don't even see it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't Tony Abbott straight up tearing Australia up? And aren't half of the social democratic parties in the EU pretty solidly Third Way by now?

My point is that even if these are true (which I think they are), their versions of "moderate" political movements/coalitions favor things like single payer healthcare, living wages, and rational gun laws.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 2, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rachel Maddow actually had a segment on that very thing earlier this week in which a barbecue joint owner in Georgia (natch) had a "sincerely held belief" that discriminating against black customers was a religious imperative. So what differentiates that practice from discrimination against contraceptives?

According to this loving garbage rear end Supreme Court, nothing, apparently. I would expect lots and lots of similar challenges in the next months/years.

All I could find was a forwardprogressives.com link, but goddamn. Just how loving sheltered and facile are John Roberts and co. to actually believe that racism just Is Not A Problem Anymore and racism against white people and ARE RELIGIOUS FREEDOMS are of more pressing concern?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
^ ah yes, it was South Carolina, not Georgia, but still.

Speaking of burning everything to the ground, there was another segment on Maddow where she pointed out that because a highway infrastructure appropriations bill (IIRC) hadn't been passed by the Republican House, states would soon be seeing their road budgets cut by almost 30%.

loving wonderful.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well the decision specified it couldn't justify religious exemptions to things like race equality, but made no mention of LGBT stuff.

So, barring an EO or whatever that makes LGBT a protected class for everything- not just for Federal stuff, it will have 'merit'.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Magres posted:

Also given that Millenials lean fairly left, even if they don't think there's much difference between the parties they vote Democratic and that's a start to taking back our god damned country from the loving retarded lunatics that we know as the Tea Party.

But does the twenty-five and under crowd give a poo poo about social programs? Since 1980, all we've heard from politicians is how the government sucks and can't do anything right, combined with the reality of that predicted situation, thanks to a bunch of morons electing people like themselves that only came to gently caress everything up. Sure, young people are all for gay rights and mostly against domestic spying, but do they care about racial problems? Nope, civil rights act fixed everything long ago. Do they care about social programs? Not unless they're using them and aren't white. Do they want to go into politics and try to make things better? Not a chance, other than the PronHaul crowd of course, the environment is too toxic and it all seems pointless.

Admittedly, I don't agree that we're all hosed, but I do see it getting worse for the poor and non-whites before it gets better. I guess I can hope the baby boomers joining the social security machine will force Congress to actually fix how it is funded, but hey who knows.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
If you are thinking about moving to Australia I recommend not doing so as an asylum seeker.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

God drat (America).

The pendulum of history has shifted back towards the policies of the Gilded Age. America has pretty much forgotten every lesson from a century ago and the old excuses (immigrants, minorities, etc.) still make people easy to lead by the nose. We've torn down everything that prevented the Great Depression and we happily let the financial industry gamble on everything from housing to the weather, knowing that the government will foot the bill if they gently caress up. Half of the political process in the United States is basically sponsored by two people, the Koch Brothers, who have an unequivocal say in what that party does. Brothers who didn't build their wealth but inherited it. This will become the norm in the next decade or so, since wealth is becoming concentrated. These brothers who are in the energy business, who like to give the finger at any sort of environmental regulations. This is at a time when our oceans are acidifying at an astonishing rate and the global temperature is rapidly increasing. We can't spend 500 million on infrastructure or our own people, yet we can easily do it to get embroiled in another pointless Middle East adventure that will accomplish nothing and make things worse. People know more about Miley Cyrus than about what was responsible for the 2008 collapse, which nearly sent us into a second Great Depression instead of a Great Recession.

On the other hand, we've got gay marriage. We did manage to elect a black president with all the racism in our country, something few other first world countries have done. People are actually talking about inequality, when before they would have thought you were crazy. Optimism is pretty hard, I admit, when you're getting hosed from all sides. Especially with the court decisions on Monday. But history shows that the pendulum (eventually) swings back the other way. The only question is will it swing back in our lifetimes. The answer?

Probably not, so drink up!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Swan Oat posted:

If you are thinking about moving to Australia I recommend not doing so as an asylum seeker.

The bitter irony being that for as lovely as American political culture is, we have comparatively open immigration standards. They suck don't get me wrong, but most other countries are even worse.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

But does the twenty-five and under crowd give a poo poo about social programs? Since 1980, all we've heard from politicians is how the government sucks and can't do anything right, combined with the reality of that predicted situation, thanks to a bunch of morons electing people like themselves that only came to gently caress everything up. Sure, young people are all for gay rights and mostly against domestic spying, but do they care about racial problems? Nope, civil rights act fixed everything long ago. Do they care about social programs? Not unless they're using them and aren't white. Do they want to go into politics and try to make things better? Not a chance, other than the PronHaul crowd of course, the environment is too toxic and it all seems pointless.

Admittedly, I don't agree that we're all hosed, but I do see it getting worse for the poor and non-whites before it gets better. I guess I can hope the baby boomers joining the social security machine will force Congress to actually fix how it is funded, but hey who knows.

I think you'd be surprised at just how left the young of America is right now. A gently caress ton of young, white people care a lot about social programs and wages and what have you, partly because of how dismal the job market is and how much student debt has been lumped on them. The right primarily targets the demographic of "old, white, and not poor" for reasons. Look at Occupy. The youth turnout on that one was absolutely massive.

Part of the reason the youth are blah about politics is how disillusioned some of them are and how risky it is to get involved in that poo poo right now, especially when you're unemployed, 27, and have $150,000 of debt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
At what point do you believe that running on anti-immigrant and minority platforms was not a winning strategy? Because that's been a thing for literally forever.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

So, barring an EO or whatever that makes LGBT a protected class for everything- not just for Federal stuff, it will have 'merit'.

Yeah, but I don't think can do that via executive order; that was what the Employee Non-Discrimination Act was supposed to do. Which, it should be noted, has an exception for religious groups, non-profits and the like, similar to the contraception mandate. I presume that was included to sweeten the deal for House Republicans, but they still didn't bite.

I really, really, really hope the midterms don't end up with the Senate flipping like people are predicting. I shudder to think of the harm that could to this country from a unified Republican Congress. It would make us pine for the days when they were only blocking any meaningful laws, as opposed to passing actively harmful ones. But it's probably still gonna happen, isn't it :smith:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Man, I am kind of bummed my naming Gerald Ford as the third greatest president of the post-war period didnt elicit a response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Mr Jaunts posted:

:laffo:

• Locked thread