Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It varies by tech level (you want exactly as much cavalry as you have maneuverability bonuses) but that's way too much work for me. My standard army once the mid-game comes rolling around is 8 infantry, 4 cavalry, 8 artillery. I make as many of those as my force limit allows and combine them as needed to fight AI stacks. This does usually wind up leaving me with too much cavalry, so if you're more dedicated to micromanagement than I am you might want to alternate 8-4-8 armies with 10-0-10 reinforcement armies (or even pure-infantry reinforcement armies, since infantry is going to be 90% of your casualties in most battles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Zurai posted:

It varies by tech level (you want exactly as much cavalry as you have maneuverability bonuses) but that's way too much work for me. My standard army once the mid-game comes rolling around is 8 infantry, 4 cavalry, 8 artillery. I make as many of those as my force limit allows and combine them as needed to fight AI stacks. This does usually wind up leaving me with too much cavalry, so if you're more dedicated to micromanagement than I am you might want to alternate 8-4-8 armies with 10-0-10 reinforcement armies (or even pure-infantry reinforcement armies, since infantry is going to be 90% of your casualties in most battles).

Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out how to take on the Mega-Denmark-Lithuania team after I gobble the hordes. Trying to ally England but I hate them apparently. How do I fix that?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

What's the unit composition with artillery? I'm wiping out some hordes with muscovy but not sure the best way to purchase units

As many infantry as there is artillery, 2-4 cavalry, and then extra infantry. There's no real ratio to aim for. There is a combat width limit, which restricts how many units can fight at once. You'll have to check to see what yours is, as it changes with tech. You'll want that much artillery, since artillery can fight from behind infantry. Then you'll want at least that much infantry, so you can protect the artillery. Since infantry also dies at a high rate, you'll want a bit extra to fill in the gaps. Then you'll want a bit of cavalry for its maneuver bonus. So if you have a combat width of 15, try 15 artillery, 20 infantry, and 4 cavalry. That tends to work for me against the AI but some of the people who play multiplayer often might have better advice.

e: I'm not sure how the cavalry's bonus work, but I'm under the impression that in the mid and late game it caps out at 2 - basically one side for each flank. The 4 is just in case it caps out a bit higher, and also to cover me if a cavalry unit gets hit hard. If anyone could go into more detail about how cavalry works, that'd be great.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

e: I'm not sure how the cavalry's bonus work, but I'm under the impression that in the mid and late game it caps out at 2 - basically one side for each flank. The 4 is just in case it caps out a bit higher, and also to cover me if a cavalry unit gets hit hard. If anyone could go into more detail about how cavalry works, that'd be great.

You can use quite a lot of cavalry by the end game, but only if you have more front line troops than the other army. By the way, I misspoke earlier.

Basically, it works like this:

If you have a cavalry unit without a unit directly across from it on the battle line, it gets a flanking bonus to its damage against any unit it attacks. The units it can attack are dependent on its maneuver score, which starts at 2 and goes up with tech. Units (any units, but only cav get the bonus) can attack a unit directly in front of it, or one up to <maneuver> units away to either the left or right.

So, essentially, cavalry does absolutely nothing if your front line is the same length or smaller than the opposing front line. They're useless in mountains, for example, and not great in any huge army vs huge army battle. However, if you have a longer front line than the enemy, cavalry will wreck them for very few losses. Ideally you'd have enough cavalry in your primary army to have <current cavalry maneuver> cav on each flank of the army (this is where I was wrong earlier), but that's pretty expensive and not always the best choice. 2-3 on each flank is usually a pretty good compromise.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

The 1.6.2 patch is now out of beta.

quote:

Patchnotes:
---------------------
- Restored AE Decay to intended levels.
- Westernisation threshold is now 8 levels for all techgroups.
- CTD Crashes when observing macrobuildinterface buildings and CountryIdeasView, while no country is selected.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would continously move between two adjacent provinces while supporting a siege.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would prioritize blockading straits it had no strategic reason to blockade.
- Overlords of colonies and Protectorates can no longer transfer trade power.
- Fixed an issue where AI would start and abandon sieges due to faulty attach logic.
- AI: Will now help its vassals and war allies fight rebels, if there are no higher priority targets.
- Fixed a bug where you could not cancel transfer trade power relations unless you had Wealth of Nations.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would appear to accept joining a war but then dishonor when called from declare war screen.
- Fixed a bug where you would get AE for declaring war while at negative stability, even if you had a CB.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would disband mercenaries to replace them with regular troops when there was no financial need to do so.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would refuse to make peace despite being offered all of its demands.
- Culture triggers should no longer cause a CTD from incorrect culture
- Launcher no longer borderlss (and can therefor be moved)
- Now disabled ingame load for ironman
- 'Pacta Conventa' and 'The Royal Struggle' modifiers will now be properly removed when the Struggle for Royal Power ends.
- Removed unused code from DirectorySettings - Made debug memory info in CEU4Application::LoadDatabases available to modders
- Removed old DirectorySettings stuff from files
- Removed a lot of old DirectorySettings crap from main.cpp and eu4application.cpp * Debugging broken mods
- CalculateChecksum now uses same code as checksum builder
- Removed GetModFromCommandLine from main.cpp - Removed GetDebugFromCommandLine from main.cpp - Added g_bDebug which is now set like any other command line argument
- Culture triggers should no longer cause a CTD from incorrect culture
- Fixed tooltipcrash in subjectview
- Fixed bug with checksums calculated badly when mods where used

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Nothing about fixing the "wants provinces: EVERY PROVINCE" or "you basically can't westernize if you have money" things? :smith:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The second is WAD but yeah OPMs going "Wants: Rome, Romagna, Urbino, Ferrara, Milan, Savoy, Napoli, Abruzzi, Malta, Crete, Cyprus, Rhodes, Ancona, Venice, Istria, Krain, Gorz... [-200]" is beyond stupid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does every patch restore AE to its intended level?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Finally FINALLY was able to form the Commonwealth and it immediately put me into the red at 10 gold per month. Also Muscovy steamrolled Crimea and the Golden Horde and formed Russia, so I'm probably hosed in the long run. They're the absolutely best of friends with Denmark even though forming Russia took half of Denmark's empire away from it and they have one long continuous border but hey, yeah, let's be pissed off at Poland instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Finally FINALLY was able to form the Commonwealth and it immediately put me into the red at 10 gold per month. Also Muscovy steamrolled Crimea and the Golden Horde and formed Russia, so I'm probably hosed in the long run. They're the absolutely best of friends with Denmark even though forming Russia took half of Denmark's empire away from it and they have one long continuous border but hey, yeah, let's be pissed off at Poland instead.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Does every patch restore AE to its intended level?

Yes, since they don't seem to know what that intended level is. They'll potter about with it for a few more patches and then just replace it with an even more convoluted and unfun mechanic, like free event troops for enemies based on how much AE they have with you or something.

I hope that after 1.7, they'll just stand back for a bit and look at what needs improving without thinking of more stuff to add. It'd also be nice if they'd share their vision about what the game should be: balanced for fun or for historical approximation?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Patch Notes posted:

- Overlords of colonies and Protectorates can no longer transfer trade power.

What is that about btw?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Omelette du Fromage posted:

No, border friction is separate. I agree it's ridiculous having your ally randomly deciding he wants all your stuff, but I'm actually kind of surprised you got an alliance with Sweden in the first place. That doesn't strike me as a relationship with much chance of succeeding.

I had to sell them Jamtland after the Kalmar Union dissolved. They have a core on that province and they'll always want it, and for me it's a useless inland grain producing province with 1 base tax. We were friends for like 50 years until their queen woke up one morning and decided she wanted Norway for breakfast.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Finally FINALLY was able to form the Commonwealth and it immediately put me into the red at 10 gold per month.

Check your army forcelimits. When you inherited Lithuania, you'll receive all of their armies, but because the the way forcelimits calculations work, your new force limit won't be quite as high as the old sum of yours and Lithuania's. You'll probably just have to disband a small number of troops.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Check your army forcelimits. When you inherited Lithuania, you'll receive all of their armies, but because the the way forcelimits calculations work, your new force limit won't be quite as high as the old sum of yours and Lithuania's. You'll probably just have to disband a small number of troops.

I despise force limits, especially for navies. Most countries' ability to maintain ships and men during this time period was a function of their ability to pay them. This time period has yet to see the kinds of total mobilization where you'd expect to literally run out of manpower or supplies to maintain your forces.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That's still the case. It's not very crushing to go over your force limit some unless your navy is all heavy ships or something.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Omelette du Fromage posted:

That's still the case. It's not very crushing to go over your force limit some unless your navy is all heavy ships or something.

There's some naval leeway, although land maintenance scales much more harshly.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Vodos posted:

The 1.6.2 patch is now out of beta.

What is "Now disabled ingame load for ironman"?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dibujante posted:

I despise force limits, especially for navies. Most countries' ability to maintain ships and men during this time period was a function of their ability to pay them. This time period has yet to see the kinds of total mobilization where you'd expect to literally run out of manpower or supplies to maintain your forces.

Look at it this way: your force limit is a measure of how efficiently you can pay your troops. If your army is too big, you start seeing more corruption, with bureaucrats skimming off the top and such.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

What is "Now disabled ingame load for ironman"?

The "Load game"-button wasn't disabled in Ironman games, so you could reload your last save. Could be used to evade bad events that didn't autosave on occurence (like a bad event popup, since it only saves when you choose an option and reloading a previous save rerolls what random event you get).

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I had to sell them Jamtland after the Kalmar Union dissolved. They have a core on that province and they'll always want it, and for me it's a useless inland grain producing province with 1 base tax. We were friends for like 50 years until their queen woke up one morning and decided she wanted Norway for breakfast.

They often disappear after a while, at least in my game as Castile. France wanted some of my provinces and I got a hefty minus to our relation but it went away after some decade or so.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Munin posted:

What is that about btw?

I'm guessing you could ask them to transfer trade power and get additional 20-30% to 50% they transfer already for being colony/protectorate.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Welp. Participated in a giant Crusade vs the Ottomans, and saw the almighty France (whom I had believed the strongest power in the world at the moment), GB, Austria etc all get knocked-the-gently caress-out by a gargantuan Ottoman nation. I'm genuinely looking forward to round two. This happened in the 1600's, and the Ottomans were rolling in a 120 ship fleet, while Venice had a 60 and France an 80. Their inability to stack/coordinate their fleets meant that the Ottomans dominated the seas. The Crusade failed, and their counter-Jihad on Venice was a victory, though they didnt annex the territory (thankfully)

It honestly was an enjoyable defeat, and I'm looking forward to trying to get everyone up on their feet somehow. But instead, the AI just keeps infighting in Europe while the Ottomans remain a gigantic threat, and the world's superpower.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dandywalken posted:

Welp. Participated in a giant Crusade vs the Ottomans, and saw the almighty France (whom I had believed the strongest power in the world at the moment), GB, Austria etc all get knocked-the-gently caress-out by a gargantuan Ottoman nation. I'm genuinely looking forward to round two. This happened in the 1600's, and the Ottomans were rolling in a 120 ship fleet, while Venice had a 60 and France an 80. Their inability to stack/coordinate their fleets meant that the Ottomans dominated the seas. The Crusade failed, and their counter-Jihad on Venice was a victory, though they didnt annex the territory (thankfully)

It honestly was an enjoyable defeat, and I'm looking forward to trying to get everyone up on their feet somehow. But instead, the AI just keeps infighting in Europe while the Ottomans remain a gigantic threat, and the world's superpower.

Historically accurate at least.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wow, the update to the mac launcher means it actually works now!

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Being 8 mil techs behind any neighbor at any time is requiring 10:1 odds to kill any army of theirs. Id like to see someone defend that in a war, while dealing with super new rebels in the westernizing period.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I guess they didn't fix the bug of the counting house not actually reducing inflation. That one was a real bummer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Vegetable posted:

I guess they didn't fix the bug of the counting house not actually reducing inflation. That one was a real bummer.

I thought you only got the benefit as of it at the ratio of provinces with the improvement compared to those that don't. So if you have 50% of your provinces with the improvement you get a .05 reduction in inflation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I thought you only got the benefit as of it at the ratio of provinces with the improvement compared to those that don't. So if you have 50% of your provinces with the improvement you get a .05 reduction in inflation.
Was that it? I only know I built it in like six provinces and saw 0 inflation reduction. Seems all unnecessarily confusing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

From what I've been told, the Counting House is a modifier to your existing inflation reduction. It certainly doesn't read like direct reduction (that's always listed differently).

Vequeth posted:

Being 8 mil techs behind any neighbor at any time is requiring 10:1 odds to kill any army of theirs. Id like to see someone defend that in a war, while dealing with super new rebels in the westernizing period.

You don't have to be 8 military techs behind. You have to be behind 8 techs in total. You can be behind 8 in diplo and 0 in admin and mil and still westernize.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Anyone have any clue how to de-Ironman a save file?

I had a save converted from CK2 and I started a new Ironman game in EU4 from it. I gather now that I was not supposed to be able to do that, but I just do all my games in Ironman so I didn't even think about it. This has been fine for several days until (I assume) the new patch came out, and now I can't engage ironman mode (because I'm using a mod), I can't play my saved game (because it's in ironman mode) and of course I can't play the game without the mod. I got the save file from the cache folder but moving it to local save games doesn't seem to make a difference.

Am I pretty much just screwed at this point?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Moving it from the cache probably should have worked. The game I got was still ironman, but I could play it with modified files.

Did you check the Bug Report and Tech Support sections of the Paradox forums? I know they used to have instructions on how to do it somewhere.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does anybody know why performance gets so much worse as the game goes on? Is it just that there are more units walking around?

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
I think I've mostly got the combat and early game down for this game but does anyone have some tips for the early middle game and onward? I always seem to make less and less money compared to army maintenance the larger I get. Buildings seem obvious but I never manage to have the time or ducats to build them.

I tried playing Byzantium and kicked the Ottomans out of the Balkans and Venice out of their islands but I just slowed down and stalled around tech 10 when I had to replace my galleys with slightly better galleys.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Leafy Wall posted:

I think I've mostly got the combat and early game down for this game but does anyone have some tips for the early middle game and onward? I always seem to make less and less money compared to army maintenance the larger I get. Buildings seem obvious but I never manage to have the time or ducats to build them.

I tried playing Byzantium and kicked the Ottomans out of the Balkans and Venice out of their islands but I just slowed down and stalled around tech 10 when I had to replace my galleys with slightly better galleys.

You can keep your army maintenance low when you aren't fighting to run a surplus in peace and a deficit in war. You can also not build out to your force limits if you stay strong enough to beat up on all your neighbors.

Generally as the game goes on your main source of revenue shifts from taxes to trade and production. Make sure you are steering trade right to maximize how much you get from that. Two star advisors are way more expensive than the one star advisors so you can skip them if you are short on cash.

Also I wouldn't disband my galleys to build slightly newer ones unless a major naval power was breathing down my neck. Once you have your cores back you should be able to take on anyone in the neighborhood except France or Spain, who you don't really have a reason to fight.

For the Byzantines specifically I like to expand south and east by vassalizing and fabricating claims. You can go as far as far as China without hitting anyone that can match your military. I would suggesting grabbing a couple of Syria's cores off the Mamluks. Convert them but don't core and then release Syria. In your next wars you can feed provinces to Syria until they have their cores then diplo annex. Fabricate claims and keep taking over Mamluk provinces until you have Egypt.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Leafy Wall posted:

If you're constantly running your expenses at the razor's edge of profit then your economy will stagnate. You need to spend money to make money. Also, assess the value of provinces in wars so you know what to take and also learn how to handle trade. Once you get out of the first 100 years or so tax becomes weak compared to production and trade. I haven't been able to fully assess things yet, but the changes to the +tax provided by government buildings don't seem nearly as good as the changes they made to the production buildings. Just remember that the economy is an iterative process, it's better to stack multiplier after multiplier in one area than to just carpet out with the cheap buildings, BUT to do this you need to have money so in the early game it's sort of okay to carpet out buildings with the expectation that you'll be going up from there. Just remember that goods produced, production, and trade are all linked together.

Constantinople is a great trade node, but you have to lock down the nodes that feed it to get the real money and also make sure the Italians aren't skimming from you. I'm not sure how important Crimea is right now, but it used to be weak compared to the Middle East nodes that had huge amounts of cash funneling through them.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Zurai posted:

You don't have to be 8 military techs behind. You have to be behind 8 techs in total. You can be behind 8 in diplo and 0 in admin and mil and still westernize.

This. In previous versions of 1.6, required techs behind was scaled to tech group cost penalty, so for North American, you needed to be 24 techs behind (base 7 techs behind x 350% tech cost = 24.5 techs behind, rounded down to 24). Now it's just a straight 8 techs total for every tech group.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

PittTheElder posted:

My problem is my economy in general doesn't support my max forcelimits. I haven't focused on trade since I was so small to begin with, but have temples and some of the other tax modifiers built across all of my territories. Still can only afford about half of my forcelimit.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My problem is my economy in general doesn't support my max forcelimits. I haven't focused on trade since I was so small to begin with, but have temples and some of the other tax modifiers built across all of my territories. Still can only afford about half of my forcelimit.

Are you using a ton of cavalry and artillery? They are way more expensive than infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Eat the Teutons if you haven't already, move your trade port to the Baltic, build a bunch of light ships, roll in the ducats.

• Locked thread