Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

oh yeah, arena sporting events can be deafening too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I kind of put one ear to my shoulder when loud sirens pass because my windows are generally open but I dont want to look like a dweeb so it looks like im just doing a really gangsta lean

also its hard to drive stick covering my ears

I have tinnitus though so you're a gently caress tard if you dont care about your hearing

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if you don't wear earplugs at concerts you're a tryhard bitch baby.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if everyone wears earplugs at a concert why dont they just turn the volume down??

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
i wear them on a motorcycle and when i'm vacuuming and THATS IT.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

logical phalluses posted:

concerts arent more enjoyable with earplugs. anyone who says that is a dweeb. plus arguably there are performances of music where the volume is as important to the experience of the work as any other aspect of the sound.

i have crushing tinnitus.

even with nice earplugs i still agree with you that the best sound is with no hearing protection, but doing that 100% of the time isnt worth the consequences - and im sure cheap disposable ear plugs completely ruin the sound...when i saw my bloody valentine (loud) a few months ago i just put them in for 3-5 mins to give my ears a break every 8-10 mins and had no ringing/temporary deafness at all after leaving like i typically would in the past after an indoor show w/ no plugs on.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

THS posted:

if everyone wears earplugs at a concert why dont they just turn the volume down??

A lot of bands think they have to turn it up to 10 to be cool, even though we now have things like PA systems and amps that are bigger than 35 watts.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Wayside Bazaar posted:

even with nice earplugs i still agree with you that the best sound is with no hearing protection, but doing that 100% of the time isnt worth the consequences - and im sure cheap disposable ear plugs completely ruin the sound...when i saw my bloody valentine (loud) a few months ago i just put them in for 3-5 mins to give my ears a break every 8-10 mins and had no ringing/temporary deafness at all after leaving like i typically would in the past after an indoor show w/ no plugs on.

I've been to a bunch of concerts and it's always more enjoyable with ear-plugs in. Without it's like it's so freaking loud that my eardrums distort the sound and I can't hear poo poo, just a wall of noise. With earplugs in it's basically still loving loud, but suddenly all the instruments clear right up.

People who don't wear earplugs are just as stupid as people who weld without goggles.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

THS posted:

actually (some?) audio engineering schools in europe pretty much point this out and talk about how its a huge problem in america and other places and how its retarded.

there's no loving need for half the speakers you see either, the volume and overkill literally does nothing but injure ears and look impressive

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Drunk & Ugly posted:

there's no loving need for half the speakers you see either, the volume and overkill literally does nothing but injure ears and look impressive

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

stratdax posted:

I've been to a bunch of concerts and it's always more enjoyable with ear-plugs in. Without it's like it's so freaking loud that my eardrums distort the sound and I can't hear poo poo, just a wall of noise. With earplugs in it's basically still loving loud, but suddenly all the instruments clear right up.

exactly

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hwbrgdtse posted:

"ehhh! ehhh! my precious ears! this is really problematic!"

be a goddamn man, you liberal

I have only ever seen children under the age of 5 do this

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

i've never seen anyone doing this which leads me to believe its made up. gently caress you.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

False

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I'm the guy in the back wearing noise canceling headphones with the cord dangling, drinking a water.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I would agree with OP except I have horrible tinnitus and basically need some sort of white noise playing constantly (specially going to sleep) or I go insane and will most likely murder someone if left in silence for long

So cover your ears, idiots

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Don Tacorleone posted:

I would agree with OP except I have horrible tinnitus and basically need some sort of white noise playing constantly (specially going to sleep) or I go insane and will most likely murder someone if left in silence for long

So cover your ears, idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tekhh7Iy-sM

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

"what's that? what? say again???" - a guy instantly recognized as cool due to his hearing loss from not covering his ears when a firetruck passes by with its sirens on

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

Copley Depot posted:

i don't know. But I do know anime is 100% correlated with autism

GuitarJunkie
Sep 8, 2004

"Boy, have we got a vacation for you."
I spent a summer working at a concert venue, and from a handful of shows going without an ear plug(always had one earpiece in), I have noticeably worse hearing in one ear. Wear your fuckin plugs, you look like a bigger dork saying "WHAT?" all the time.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

pretty much

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

MLIOOBE posted:

"what's that? what? say again???" - a guy instantly recognized as cool due to his hearing loss from not covering his ears when a firetruck passes by with its sirens on

cool people don't listen to what others tell them

for a good example see every single cool person ever

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
Since vinyl produces the best sound quality, listening to records at high volume will NOT hurt your eardrums.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Sounds like some real pussy poo poo, fire trucks own. Every boy loves a loving fire truck from the moment he first sees and hears it.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Additionally, if you're gonna wear ear plugs, wear them right. You have to roll them and then stick em in. Don't be the clueless dumbass walking around with the entire earplug hanging out of your ear.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Additionally, if you're gonna wear ear plugs, wear them right. You have to roll them and then stick em in. Don't be the clueless dumbass walking around with the entire earplug hanging out of your ear.

better yet, wear the ones that cover your whole ears. Hearing loss sucks!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I have never seen someone other than the actual musicians wear earplugs at a concert. Maybe I just don't listen to the same music as you pussy rear end bitches that can't handle loud noise.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hobohemian posted:

I have never seen someone other than the actual musicians wear earplugs at a concert. Maybe I just don't listen to the same music as you pussy rear end bitches that can't handle loud noise.

If I was to call you a human being in real life, you wouldn't be able to hear me. Would you?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

since conservatives seem to be such big fans of unnecessary bodily injury i propose we help them out and shoot them all

edit: while wearing proper hearing protection, that is

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 3, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

someone tell the deaf what I'm looking at

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
thanks, in advance.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Brannock posted:

thanks, in advance.

It's ok.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

If I was to call you a human being in real life, you wouldn't be able to hear me. Would you?

Maybe you could take a pen from your front pocket protector and write it on your notepad that you took out of your rolling backpack. Nerd.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Brannock posted:

someone tell the deaf what I'm looking at

from the audience it looks like a giant wall of speakers ready to melt their faces off, but it's just a plywood facade

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LifeSizePotato posted:

from the audience it looks like a giant wall of speakers ready to melt their faces off, but it's just a plywood facade

lmao music is such a ripoff

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hobohemian posted:

Maybe you could take a pen from your front pocket protector and write it on your notepad that you took out of your rolling backpack. Nerd.

I don't always have a front pocket protector. What will you do then, smart guy?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am now modifying my behavior to conform to what some person on a forum thinks is acceptable. Done and done.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

LifeSizePotato posted:

yeah, sorry to say but you're pretty much an idiot moron :(

just remember this thread when you're 35 years old and starting to say "huh?" more often in conversations

I'm 38 and can still hear fine after a shitton of concerts???!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i don't really believe that, but either way, it's just an objective fact that not wearing earplugs at concerts is a stupid thing for stupid people

• Locked thread