Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Crabtree posted:

How the gently caress did it get into their teeth much less on the same bottom front teeth?! :stare:

Pulling a Suárez, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Crabtree posted:

How the gently caress did it get into their teeth much less on the same bottom front teeth?! :stare:
Hey man, sometimes you just get thirsty.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I had the most bizarre bug playing through Dragon Age Origins for the first time. I was halfway through the Circle of Mages story mission - the one in the fade where you can shapeshift and have to kill the five demons and save your companions.

I clicked on a node to travel to the next demon, and all of a sudden I was back on the world map, travelling to Denerim. I was still alone and still had the shapeshift menu, so I thought it was part of the mission. But after about 5 minutes of confused searching for demons in the market district I realised the game must have bugged out somehow.

I stupidly just reloaded my last save and everything worked as it was supposed to. I should have tried to finish the game as a mouse...

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Lotish posted:

It really frustrates me that using a beard always sets your jaw and cheek options to the same defaults, which are usually too thin to actually connect the beard to the skin so the hair just kind of floats above your face like some kind of plastic strap. You can't even trick it into keeping your settings by using the first beard in the list like you can with DA:O; touch the beard options and your face instantly changes no matter what. Even the expanded char-gen mod I used doesn't fix that.

Here's hoping it's not a problem that recurs in Inquisition.

No joke DAI is probably gonna have a really amazing face generator.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Drifter posted:

My body, my bear.

also, Back Yard Grizzly is most definitely the title of one of the Bioware writer's personal erotic fantasy heroic YA coming of age fanfic efforts.

The tragic love story of a Back Yard Grizzly and Smokey the Bear. Can Grizzly put out Smokey's forest fire? Or will Animal Control, unable to officially acknowledge the difference between a home grown bear and one born in the wild, put Grizzle the Grizzly down first?

Featuring the voice talents of Jennifer Hale and Mark Meer. Choose the gender of your bear. Bear's muzzle fully customizable.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Alouicious posted:

Oh man, you're so much better than the other video gaming plebs, you even got your headcanon confirmed by the DLC! can i send you a letter or some money or

No thanks necessary, citizen! All I ask is that you calm the gently caress down and not take this stupid poo poo so seriously.

:shobon:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Speaking of DLC a little bit again, I think Bioware deserves some credit for giving out the Extended Cut DLC for free and all the stuff with the Multiplayer. Those could not have been cheap to make. And for the multiplayer stuff specifically, everything I played from the characters to the guns to the new maps were high quality.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

Speaking of DLC a little bit again, I think Bioware deserves some credit for giving out the Extended Cut DLC for free and all the stuff with the Multiplayer. Those could not have been cheap to make. And for the multiplayer stuff specifically, everything I played from the characters to the guns to the new maps were high quality.

I wonder how much of the initial backlash from press and other critics and loud consumers was hurting potential sales prior to that extended release. Sometimes that wave of negativity can prevent people from talking about the game if they liked it. If you can't talk about it you might not play it long enough to make any online cash transactions. Maybe there was no impact at all, but man, I couldn't imagine a black eye like that would have helped them in the future.

How long did it take for them to release the extended cut? A few weeks? A couple months?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 3, 2014

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Drifter posted:

I wonder how much of the initial backlash from press and other critics and loud consumers was hurting potential sales prior to that extended release. Sometimes that wave of negativity can prevent people from talking about the game if they liked it. If you can't talk about it you might not play it long enough to make any online cash transactions. Maybe there was no impact at all, but man, I couldn't imagine a black eye like that would have helped them in the future.

How long did it take for them to release the extended cut? A few weeks? A couple months?
3 months. Game came out in March, the DLC hit in June (July for some consoles). How soon they started working on it is anybodys guess, but I seem to remember they defended their 'artistic choice' for a least a month before starting to make noises about maybe some things could be improved.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

The extended cut wasn't that impressive and was more of a panicked response to criticism. The multiplayer stuff made them money with microtransactions, but was done well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GhostBoy posted:

3 months. Game came out in March, the DLC hit in June (July for some consoles). How soon they started working on it is anybodys guess, but I seem to remember they defended their 'artistic choice' for a least a month before starting to make noises about maybe some things could be improved.

Given the timing, and the cost of getting the actors into the studio, the Extended Cut would almost certainly have been recorded simultaneously to Leviathan, as evidenced by the limited cross-over capacity between the two.

This, I assume, partially explains the delay.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Speaking of DLC, Bioware needs a good kick in the rear end for not even trying to integrate Mark of the Assassin and Legacy into DA2. It's just a god drat entry in your quest log that goes HEY REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN THAT THING HAPPENED, GO CLICK ON THIS STATUE TO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. For gently caress's sake guys.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of DLC, Bioware needs a good kick in the rear end for not even trying to integrate Mark of the Assassin and Legacy into DA2. It's just a god drat entry in your quest log that goes HEY REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN THAT THING HAPPENED, GO CLICK ON THIS STATUE TO KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. For gently caress's sake guys.

I don't know. After you've beaten a horse to death you don't go back to its corpse and tie a ribbon to its mane.

Although in Inquisition I suppose you go back and shove a sword through its skull, so who knows? :shrug:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So Leliana got updated on the Dragon Age website. And she is being written again by Sheryl Cheej:

quote:

[DRAGON AGE]: It’s been a few years since we last saw Leliana. What has she been doing?
[SHERYL CHEE]: After the Fifth Blight, Leliana was summoned to Val Royeaux by her friend and mentor, Divine Justinia V.
*snip*
[DA]: There’s definitely some history between them.
[SC]: Yes—Justinia was formerly known as Revered Mother Dorothea, the woman who saved Leliana when Leliana was betrayed and almost killed by her old mistress, Marjolaine. Because of their history, Leliana feels a close bond with Justinia; naturally, when Justinia needed her help, Leliana went to her side. She has been serving as the Divine’s Left Hand for some time now.
[DA]: How has her personality changed since her introduction to the series?
[SC]: Those who played Dragon Age: Origins might remember Leliana as a cheerful, optimistic young woman who tried her best to do what she thought was right. It’s now ten years later, and lots of things have happened. She’s not as carefree. Even if she wanted to show that side of her personality, she can’t.
[DA]: Why’s that?
[SC]: She’s a high-ranking member of the Inquisition with a great deal of responsibility, and she has to present herself a certain way for the Inquisition’s sake. However, if you prove that you're trustworthy, and that you understand where she's come from, she might let her guard down a little.
[DA]: How did you find revisiting Leliana?
[SC]: Coming back to Leliana gave me the chance to pull everything from Leliana’s various appearances throughout the Dragon Age world and fit them together.
[DA]: In what way?
[SC]: Leliana’s Song shared her backstory, establishing her relationship with the woman who would become the Divine. In Dragon Age: Origins, Leliana is coming to terms with her past and trying to figure out who she is. In Dragon Age II, and the Asunder and Masked Empire novels, we see Leliana in her role as Left Hand of the Divine. It’s been a long road for her, and inInquisition, we’ll get to see how her journey has shaped her as a person, and where the path might take her in the future.
[DA]: Were there any challenges?
[SC]: Leliana is always a little tricky because of how the player’s choices in Origins can affect her. I had to make sure that no matter what the player did in Origins, Leliana’s role and character in Inquisition made sense. It's a matter of respecting her core nature, so that regardless of what happened (or happens) to her, she's always clearly "Leliana."
[DA]: You said that Leliana is now “Left Hand of the Divine.” What exactly does that mean?
[SC]: As we know, Cassandra is Right Hand of the Divine: the warrior who puts herself front and center, she’s bold and direct and driven. Leliana is the Left Hand—the “sinister” hand, as it were. She hangs back in the shadows. She watches the Divine’s back, watches for enemies, waits for them to reveal their weaknesses, and comes at them from the shadows.
[DA]: Those skills must be useful for the Inquisition?
[SC]: The Inquisition is a new power, a threat to some of the existing structures within Thedas. Naturally, some people will oppose it, and Leliana will deal with these opposing forces should direct action or diplomacy fail.
[DA]: So she gets along well with the rest of the Inquisition?
[SC]: The Inquisition is Leliana’s priority. She knows that infighting will doom it to a quick and messy end, so she’s often willing to put aside her own personal feelings to do what’s best for the organization.
[DA]: Can you give us an example?
[SC]: She has a healthy respect for Cassandra, even if she doesn’t always agree with her. Ultimately, their goals align, and they’ll work together for what they believe is the greater good. It’s a little like Mom and Dad quarrelling behind closed doors, but presenting a united front to the kids. Same goes for Cullen.
[DA]: And finally, the question on everyone’s mind: How is Schmooples?
[SC]: Ah, Schmooples. Maybe we should let people find out on their own when they play the game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I usually keep this in but paid DLC is basically the worst goddamn thing to happen to videogames and EA is the worst offender by choosing to charge $10 for actual plot related things like this thing in ME3 or the bit of DA2 where you learn that Kirkwall was the site of a massive blood magic ritual that rendered the whole area particularly dangerous for mages to be in.

Bioware if you make DLC that is plot related it must be free

Shugojin posted:

Bioware if you make DLC that isn't plot related stop it

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

SgtSteel91 posted:

So Leliana got updated on the Dragon Age website. And she is being written again by Sheryl Cheej:
What the gently caress is a Schmooples and why am I already angry about it

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I had to go look up what Schmooples was - did anyone actually remember the loving bald rat?

^^ Yeah, it's the nug that you can have that dwarf get for her in DAO.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Do we know what other characters Ms. Cheej has written?

Bioware has plenty of talented writers. Mass Effect 3 was mostly really good. But the bad parts were REALLY REALLY bad. The really good writers just seem to be left in tertiary rules.

I've been playing Dragon Age 2 off and on for like a year now and I'm still in Act 1. It doesn't strike me as really terrible. Just really mediocre.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

No I mean just trying slightly harder to integrate content into gameplay than having a statue you click on stashed away in the player house. Like at least put the thing in a less lazy location.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

prometheusbound2 posted:

Do we know what other characters Ms. Cheej has written?

Bioware has plenty of talented writers. Mass Effect 3 was mostly really good. But the bad parts were REALLY REALLY bad. The really good writers just seem to be left in tertiary rules.

I've been playing Dragon Age 2 off and on for like a year now and I'm still in Act 1. It doesn't strike me as really terrible. Just really mediocre.

It's "Chee," and she wrote Oghren, Leliana, Wynne, Sigrun, Valenna, Isabela, the Mage origin and Broken Circle, the Urn of Sacred Ashes and now Blackwall and Cullen.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Lotish posted:

It's "Chee," and she wrote Oghren, Leliana, Wynne, Sigrun, Valenna, Isabela, the Mage origin and Broken Circle, the Urn of Sacred Ashes and now Blackwall and Cullen.

Wasn't she half of team gigglesquee? Or am I confusing her with someone else?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lotish posted:

Pretty hit and miss then.

Man, Oghren. There's a party member I have mixed feelings about. Like, I get what they were trying to do. "Haha! He's a dwarf, and he's EXACTLY what you'd expect! Except being a stereotypical dwarf is exactly why dwarven society hates him! Isn't that subversive?!"

I mean, yeah it's not a bad concept and I do enjoy the subversion on some level but probably not enough to dedicate a party member to it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I do wish it was as easy to do without/get rid of Oghren as it is Sten or Zevran.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I haven't been keeping close tabs on Dragon Age Inquisition or this thread: what's the general consensus on whether Bioware has learned lessons from the negative feedback to their writing in Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3? Have they thrown out a few bones to convince former fans like myself to give them another chance?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

I haven't been keeping close tabs on Dragon Age Inquisition or this thread: what's the general consensus on whether Bioware has learned lessons from the negative feedback to their writing in Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3? Have they thrown out a few bones to convince former fans like myself to give them another chance?

Nobody really knows man, and nobody really can know until the game is out.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

they've learned nothing and will in fact double down on their awful writing habits because their writing feedback is coming from the BSN and each other

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I know. Because I'm a wizard. But I'm not telling so I can be retroactively right enjoy having known all along when it comes out!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah they've very purposely said very little about the game. What has been said has been significantly less stupid but that's because Chris Priestly doesn't do PR for them anymore.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

"Nobody knows" means that no, Bioware hasn't put out any reassurances. :smith:

Honestly all I know is basically what's in the OP. For me, the fact that the revealed roster seems to consist mostly of characters designed as love interests first and foremost is a really bad sign.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The only assurance we really have is that Bioware's marketing department is as a bad as it's ever been.

There was what I would consider some good updates from E3, but the best presentation was behind closed doors and the leaks have been snuffed out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

"Nobody knows" means that no, Bioware hasn't put out any reassurances. :smith:

Honestly all I know is basically what's in the OP. For me, the fact that the revealed roster seems to consist mostly of characters designed as love interests first and foremost is a really bad sign.

I don't really get that impression. Your preconceptions might be coloring your vision a bit there.

For leadup PR, Bioware has basically just been doing what they always do. Nothing particularly unusual one way or the other.

I for one am disappointed that Inquisition is doing a grand epic save the world type plot in the first place, and don't really think it jives with Thedas at large, but that in and of itself has little to do with Bioware's missteps of late. That's Bioware as usual circa forever. :shrug:

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Is this really as heinous of a crime as the "Buy this DLC for best-in-class items!"? Paying for plot is kind of what I'm doing anyway. Paying for items seems like it short circuits the reward loop that brings people back to more of your games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lotish posted:

The only assurance we really have is that Bioware's marketing department is as a bad as it's ever been.

There was what I would consider some good updates from E3, but the best presentation was behind closed doors and the leaks have been snuffed out.

They really don't show much. It's a usual gameplay demonstration where they described their most interesting mechanics. They tell you how you can affect the world but never show it - which doesn't inspire much confidence.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I care more that the game looks fun to play, especially against dragons.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Laradus posted:

I had to go look up what Schmooples was - did anyone actually remember the loving bald rat?

^^ Yeah, it's the nug that you can have that dwarf get for her in DAO.

I know who Schmooples is...he's very cute and I own him:

I also have the plushie Mabari.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'd like to see nugs come back. I thought they were cute, too.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I for one am disappointed that Inquisition is doing a grand epic save the world type plot in the first place, and don't really think it jives with Thedas at large, but that in and of itself has little to do with Bioware's missteps of late. That's Bioware as usual circa forever. :shrug:
Honestly I thought Bioware's style of writing worked well when they were doing simple Hero's Journey inspired stories in over-the-top, almost cartoonish worlds like Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. But unfortunately with Dragon Age they're going for a grimmer environment and their writing style hasn't changed enough to match the change in tone.

I'm probably going to stick to waiting until what the general consensus is here before plonking down release day amounts of cash for Inquisition. Mostly I just want to be convinced this game is going to be great because I've had a lot of fun with Bioware's adventures in the past.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Leelee posted:

I know who Schmooples is...he's very cute and I own him:

I also have the plushie Mabari.

I'd like the rabbit-pig better if it did anything other than stand there and squeak annoyingly. At least Anders' old cat acted like a free revive. It was clearly the underachiever of Dragon Age pets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Geostomp posted:

I'd like the rabbit-pig better if it did anything other than stand there and squeak annoyingly. At least Anders' old cat acted like a free revive. It was clearly the underachiever of Dragon Age pets.

What? I didn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Trapezium Dave posted:

Honestly I thought Bioware's style of writing worked well when they were doing simple Hero's Journey inspired stories in over-the-top, almost cartoonish worlds like Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. But unfortunately with Dragon Age they're going for a grimmer environment and their writing style hasn't changed enough to match the change in tone.

I'm probably going to stick to waiting until what the general consensus is here before plonking down release day amounts of cash for Inquisition. Mostly I just want to be convinced this game is going to be great because I've had a lot of fun with Bioware's adventures in the past.

Bioware at its best is like McDonald's. Not exactly good...but familiar and enjoyable in a gross way.

Bioware at its worst...haven't made it past Act 1 of Dragon Age. That Mass Effect 3 ending though...

• Locked thread