Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I play elfgames and I have no idea who those people are and didn't even read the credits when I checked out the D&D Next PDF.

I came here to say I checked out the D&D Next PDF and it seems almost indistinguishable from 3.5. Was the last decade just a dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

XyloJW posted:

I play elfgames and I have no idea who those people are and didn't even read the credits when I checked out the D&D Next PDF.

I came here to say I checked out the D&D Next PDF and it seems almost indistinguishable from 3.5. Was the last decade just a dream?

A horrible dream filled with Encounter powers and storygames.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bucnasti posted:

Fine, knock yourselves out, have fun with your boycott or whatever you plan to do, please give my regard to Barbara Streisand when you're all done.

Pictures of a house, a sustained campaign of harassment. Tomayto, Tomahto am I right fellas.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Bucnasti posted:

Fine, knock yourselves out, have fun with your boycott or whatever you plan to do, please give my regard to Barbara Streisand when you're all done.

You do know that the Streisand Effect describes something that's completely different than what's going on here, right?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

XyloJW posted:

From what I've gathered so far there's some new things in there but they are buried under the branding. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

XyloJW posted:

The last six years of good D&D were sacrificed on the altar of pandering to Pathfinder and OSR grogs. RIP D&D.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kemper Boyd posted:

You do know that the Streisand Effect describes something that's completely different than what's going on here, right?

I'm sorry there's not a cool name and wikipedia page for this specific situation, perhaps it will later be called the Gau effect.
Either way, drawing attention to this just validates these people and will have the same kind of unintended consequences as the Streisand Effect.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Making drat sure that people know that man is a motherfucking stalker is not validation.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh well. Maybe D&D, the most widely played and well known roleplaying game, will address the systemic problem of caster supremacy in 2022.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Bucnasti posted:

Either way, drawing attention to this just validates these people and will have the same kind of unintended consequences as the Streisand Effect.

Ignoring abuse does not make it go away. It does not make it get better. It does not make it easier for the people who are the targets of it. Silence does literally the opposite of all of these things.

You are straight up flat out wrong about this one. People need to speak about it and keep speaking about it and never stop speaking about it until these people are actually driven to the utmost fringes of the hobby, not embraced and validated by one of the biggest players.

People need to keep speaking until the voices in every major medium and product are all saying "get out and don't come back, you're not welcome here."

Zak S is is an abuser and he will keep being an abuser until the response to his abuse stops being silence.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bucnasti posted:

I'm sorry there's not a cool name and wikipedia page for this specific situation, perhaps it will later be called the Gau effect.

Reene is 100% correct, but also this is literally the opposite of the Streisand Effect. The Streisand Effect is about hiding something and the internet spreading it anyway.

In this case, there is something hidden (Zak S is a horrible human being who actively makes the hobby worse) and we are trying to spread that. I can see how you are confused, but the Streisand Effect would be if we were the ones hiding it.

We want the Streisand Effect here, and in full throttle. Zak S and RPG Pundit do not deserve any kind of validation and are bad for the future of gaming.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Bucnasti has reproduced the Streisand Effect here in this thread by dragging this out even further while calling for people to drop it.

clearly what you all should be doing is going around the internet and demanding that no one discuss it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

On a happier note I read a bunch of little tidbits about it and am for real super IRL excited about the GMC Mage thing coming out soonish.

I don't think I've actually been this excited about an RPG book coming out in a couple of years.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

What's the specific stalking event people are talking about? I must have missed it, although I wish I was more surprised than I am :( And are there links to source documents?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

neonchameleon posted:

What's the specific stalking event people are talking about? I must have missed it, although I wish I was more surprised than I am :( And are there links to source documents?

You're not going to get a source document about private harassment, but there is an article one of the people he's stalked has written about it: http://gomakemeasandwich.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/dangerous-hatred-men-who-foment-misogyny-in-geekdom-twlong/

Zak S is the Rebellious Artist mentioned halfway down the article, mentioned in a "not naming names" method because he regularly searches his own name for anything said about him on the internet, and the author obviously does not want any further harassment than she's already had.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Reene posted:

On a happier note I read a bunch of little tidbits about it and am for real super IRL excited about the GMC Mage thing coming out soonish.

I don't think I've actually been this excited about an RPG book coming out in a couple of years.

So does that mean GMC Mageball League is gonna be holding tryouts soon? :v:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

FewtureMD posted:

So does that mean GMC Mageball League is gonna be holding tryouts soon? :v:

Hhhheh

I still feel like garbage for bailing on the game actually.

If my employment situation manages to improve by the time the new edition comes out, I'll see about GMC Mageball.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

People are already doing this and you know what they loving get? Twitter harassment and threatening emails and bombardments from personal fanbases from shitlords like the ones that are now getting money for appearing in the biggest RPG product of the year. The acknowledgment earned is that there's two paragraphs of wonky text in the book and then a dude who actively stalks trans people online and tells them to commit suicide is lurking in the credits.

So you know.

gently caress you.

But just a little.

Do you see any advocacy re: turning a blind eye to the likes of Tarnowski and Zak S in my post? No, you do not, because it is not there.

D&D Next is a lazy, lovely product associated with lunatics who pass for big names in this hobby because this is what WotC thinks will be profitable. They are probably right! Currently D&D is what your average human will think of when you say the words "roleplaying game" to them, if they even think of tabletop stuff instead of a video game.

To actually affect change, a radical alteration of the climate of the hobby is necessary. You remember that post a few pages back about how Tarnowski is afraid storygame-type stuff will become the new mainstream RPG, but ha ha ha, that'll never happen, shucks? Well, it should. Hence the whole direct action thing I was talking about.

Awful lovely games from awful lovely people are going to be the norm unless there is a continuous effort to replace both. Raising awareness that, say, somebody who's given special thanks in the latest flagship product of the entire hobby is an abusive nutcase is important! But the conditions that allow such a thing to happen in the first place will not change through raising awareness alone.

So gently caress you right back, friend! :thumbsup:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Twitter harassment and threatening emails and bombardments from personal fanbases from shitlords like the ones that are now getting money for appearing in the biggest RPG product of the year.

You say that like no one here knows how to deal with that kind of poo poo.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm starting my first Monsterhearts game soon and I am hella excited. I had heard so many good things about in this thread and the AW thread and finally took a look at the book itself. I was astounded by what appears to be an incredible capacity to tell really dramatic and tense stories with conflict between the players themselves. AW and it's offspring are really amazing.

The funny thing is, as a D&D person, I'm used to throwing out all kinds of unseemly violence; murder and theft are the order of the day. But the kind of conflicts that Monsterhearts appears set to deliver... I think I might have to pull my punches for once! It brings back some seriously squeamish memories of adolescence.

Good stuff.

The weird thing about Monsterhearts, in contrast to something like D&D where violence is the order of the day, is the fact that when people actually start throwing punches in Monsterhearts it actually feels more dramatic. I think it's a mixture of the fact that the system has a very strong system for rewarding actual social interaction and the game's setting, because when you actually throw in violence into a game about teenage drama and romance the violence feels more visceral, because there are very real social consequences to violence in the game.

Like, in D&D you hardly ever register the violence, because it's like "Yeah, I gut that goblin with my sword and now I get some XP" and it's just assumed to be a part of the game, whereas in Monsterhearts the violence always stands out because the people you are punching are not just sacks of XP but people with actual relationships and a role of their own in the story.

neongrey posted:

Man, so I really didn't like the 'sex' paragraphs in the new D&D-- some choices of language I was not happy with at all (like hermaphroditic, or the dwarf misgendering joke, or 'man trapped in a female body').

So when RPZip was talking about jargon and page space and all of that on IRC I was like 'gently caress it, I can do it in the same amount of words'. It's not perfect, but hey~

(I also put it up on my g+ here)

Yeah, when I first saw that section I was just really giddy and excited and immediately went on to reblog it on fuckyeahdnd without even stopping to think of some of how poorly worded it was in places. I personally think that it was a cool thing of the D&D people to do, but I'm now also of the opinion that it was really badly worded and problematic. I really liked your take on that paragraph, as it achieves what the original paragraph set out to do with zero of the offensive wording, and since this paragraph is a pretty big talking point at the moment I was wondering if you'd be okay if I linked to your version of the paragraph on fuckyeahdnd?

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 4, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Ratpick posted:

Like, in D&D you hardly ever register the violence, because it's like "Yeah, I gut that goblin with my sword and now I get some XP" and it's just assumed to be a part of the game, whereas in Monsterhearts the violence always stands out because the people you are punching are not just sacks of XP but people with actual relationships and a role of their own in the story.

Also, if you lay a savage beatdown on someone at the mall the police will get involved - and that's not an easy thing to unravel yourself from, supernatural powers or not.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wouldn't the best way to combat shitlords like Zak S and RPGPundit be to bring non-shitlords into the hobby until they're outnumbered?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Rulebook Heavily posted:

gently caress you.

But just a little.

grassy gnoll posted:

I will turn this chat around, and then nobody will be going to Storygame World.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Ettin posted:

So I wore my Franky Forge ears for nothing? Lame

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Plague of Hats posted:

Do you know a good e-mail address? Because I am dubious about the PR e-mail listed on their contact page and the alternatives appear to be a website-based form-fillable that is intended for "game support." They don't seem to have an appropriate company feedback venue.

EDIT: Jesus getting onto their forums is a chore.
If someone has a succinct bunch of horrible quotes from them I'm just going to try calling Hasbro for the hell of it.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wouldn't the best way to combat shitlords like Zak S and RPGPundit be to bring non-shitlords into the hobby until they're outnumbered?
Speaking as someone who works in an industry full of shitlords like those two the answer is a resounding no. Its very hard to get rid of those people especially when they are entrenched in like that.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 4, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FewtureMD posted:

So I wore my Franky Forge ears for nothing? Lame

What animal is Franky Forge?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Covok posted:

The Platonic Ideal of an Owlbear.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Covok posted:

Blink Dog.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BrainParasite posted:

The Platonic Ideal of an Owlbear.
Something like this?

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Covok posted:

He's whatever animal your players say he is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If D&D had gun this not happen.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
No one's saying you should ignore the problem, people are saying that you shouldn't let the problem affect your actual RPG-playing experience with your group. The people you play with don't deserve one of you becoming disillusioned about the hobby that you enjoy together, because of random dudes on the internet. Again, no one's saying to ignore the problem -- you can boycott D&D and make internet campaigns to bring awareness to the harassment issues, and in fact we all probably should -- but if you bring the issue up with the actual, living, breathing people you know who actually take time off their lives to go and play games with you, and then proceed to play good games and enjoy them, the impact you make on the RPG-playing community is bigger and more relevant.

RPGs are a hobby about social interactions with people, at its core, and it still grows mostly by word-of-mouth. We should focus our fight on these layers, I think.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

If someone has a succinct bunch of horrible quotes from them I'm just going to try calling Hasbro for the hell of it.

Zak's being Zak here, apparently.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MadScientistWorking posted:

http://wouldyouagreethat.tumblr.com

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

grassy gnoll posted:

Do you see any advocacy re: turning a blind eye to the likes of Tarnowski and Zak S in my post? No, you do not, because it is not there.

D&D Next is a lazy, lovely product associated with lunatics who pass for big names in this hobby because this is what WotC thinks will be profitable. They are probably right! Currently D&D is what your average human will think of when you say the words "roleplaying game" to them, if they even think of tabletop stuff instead of a video game.

To actually affect change, a radical alteration of the climate of the hobby is necessary. You remember that post a few pages back about how Tarnowski is afraid storygame-type stuff will become the new mainstream RPG, but ha ha ha, that'll never happen, shucks? Well, it should. Hence the whole direct action thing I was talking about.

Awful lovely games from awful lovely people are going to be the norm unless there is a continuous effort to replace both. Raising awareness that, say, somebody who's given special thanks in the latest flagship product of the entire hobby is an abusive nutcase is important! But the conditions that allow such a thing to happen in the first place will not change through raising awareness alone.

Have fun putting the majority of the responsibility for that on other people!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just stared long and hard at James Desborough's Wikipedia page, and noticed he wrote the Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers, and instantly had a flashback to my friend reading through a copy of that at Gen-Con 2002 and thinking the dude behind the counter was going to explode from infinite awkwardness at a girl reading his book in his presence. That is actually why I took a picture, because I felt like the guy was going to disappear in a poof of shame/embarrassment.

And I keep flipping back and forth from my picture to the Wikipedia picture ... is that him?

Because drat, if so, I have had a negative opinion of that guy for 12 years now! Haha. Super-uncomfortable to be around.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Quarex posted:

And I keep flipping back and forth from my picture to the Wikipedia picture ... is that him?
I... don't think so? The guy in the 2002 picture looks older than the wiki picture of Desborough, and I have reason to believe that the wiki picture is somewhat recent. The wiki picture of him looks just like he did in an interview I watched last year where he talked about how rape is totally a great plot device! He was even wearing the same terrible hat.

I think your awkward gencon dealer is just an awkward dude. I'd probably feel awkward if I was selling a book called "The Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers" too.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ettin posted:

When you write a roleplaying game with shared narrative authority, roll +Weird

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

XyloJW posted:

Oh well. Maybe D&D, the most widely played and well known roleplaying game, will address the systemic problem of caster supremacy in 2022.

Let me tell you of the good news. Let me tell you of Pathfinder, the worlds best selling RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gnome7 posted:

A horrible dream filled with Encounter powers and storygames.

Exactly! And I for one am glad to have woken up from that hell...

• Locked thread