Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hoxhud. It is an awesome bit of code. Provides info on pretty much everything you need to know about shooting cops.

It's even gone public, I'm sure someone can provide you with a link in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Do you think more people might use Stockholm Syndrome if it meant a cop that you'd converted could revive you? Seems like a handy way to make both skills a bit more desirable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh man, first Goon game I join and I'm kicked before we even selected a mission. :thumbsup:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alkydere posted:

Then we all died due to a Cloaker and Tazer that earned their paychecks right before we made it out to the main lobby with our trail of loot. :v:

See what happens when you don't have your cloaker magnet around? Or your healbot I guess.

Matrim posted:

What's all of the extra info shown in your HUD from?

Hoxhud is pretty useful, but ugly and the steam group thing is annoying as hell.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Having your Joker able to walk over and revive you the way an AI is able to would be nice, but the critical thing is that while they were doing this task they would have to have a ton of damage resist. Even tan swat Jokers are currently so fragile that you can't rely on them to hang around too long. This is fine in the context of Jokers since it was kind of silly for a Mastermind to submit the first decent SWAT guy he could find and then have a Crime.net intern for entire assault waves, but the 5 seconds it takes to revive is way more than enough for a Joker to get butchered.

Really all you need to make Stockholm Syndrome useful is to give it a respectable range (say 10-15m) and let tied down hostages proc it, possibly in return for undoing their zip ties. At that point it becomes reasonable for a Mastermind to fight near a tied down hostage in order to have an easy way to revive themselves. Self-reviving is already kind of the Mastermind's thing anyway (see Pistol Messiah) so I don't really feel like it's out of character, even if it only gives you 1-2 charges per time out of custody.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sire Oblivion posted:

Oh man, first Goon game I join and I'm kicked before we even selected a mission. :thumbsup:

a) Were you in the group chat?

b) Were you in Mumble?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I was in the group chat and once I joined, since I noticed everyone was using the in-game text chat I didn't think they were using Mumble so I didn't jump on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm a little disappointed none of the shotgun masks was named "George".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sire Oblivion posted:

I was in the group chat and once I joined, since I noticed everyone was using the in-game text chat I didn't think they were using Mumble so I didn't jump on.

There's your problem right there. Being in Mumble is basically what separates goons from pubbies and they were probably asking each other who you were before kicking you.

ALWAYS. BE. IN. MUMBLE.

e:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 7, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They were actually talking to one of the other players about picking stealth equipment for the specific mission.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sire Oblivion posted:

They were actually talking to one of the other players about picking stealth equipment for the specific mission.

Probably a goon without a microphone. I know one guy has no mic but is in Mumble to hear the others.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sire Oblivion posted:

One of us in the group is basically and idiot and tends to blow any stealth we attempt. He also made it level 9 before figuring out what button on the controller dropped his Ammo bags. We're playing PC, but he insists on using a controller. Yeah, it's a motley crew of incompetence. I'll see if anyone in the goon group wants to play. Thanks guys.

The controller thing is surreall but blowing stealth is no big deal. My crew has a couple deathwish clears under the notch and most of us have all the other masks, and the only mission we stealth more often than not is Diamond Store. Talk to your team about non terrible skill builds, modding guns decently, and assuming they're semi-competent at FPS in general and don't mind failing around, you'll be doing the harder heists in not too long.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I have a friend who prefers to play with a controller on PC. He has a tendency to accidentally throw grenades during stealth. :shrug:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tulip posted:

It's less mystifying than why the cops are working so hard to protect the property rights of arms traffickers (Firestarter Day 1) or the sanctity of a meth lab (Rats Day 1). I'm pretty sure the police has abandoned "protect and serve" for "gently caress those guys."

I'm guessing they were planning on raiding those places anyway and just decided to step it up once they saw there was already a gunfight breaking out.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

President Ark posted:

I'm guessing they were planning on raiding those places anyway and just decided to step it up once they saw there was already a gunfight breaking out.
I'd be happy for just reskins when fighting gangsters/mobsters. Custody becomes Captive. Hostages turn into Witnesses.
Hordes of gangbangers is hardly as silly as hordes of cops protecting a meth lab.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Normal is difficult.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Drewjitsu posted:

Hoxhud. It is an awesome bit of code. Provides info on pretty much everything you need to know about shooting cops.

It's even gone public, I'm sure someone can provide you with a link in short order.
It shows Skulldozers as having 9000HP. It is great that it uses tiny icons on the screen, so the right side of the screen has a line of numbers that doesn't blot out the ends.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

President Ark posted:

Also, regardless of their opinions of the people whose places you are raiding, it does seem in the public interest to crack down on rolling gunfights.

Plus considering how many cops the gang has killed it doesn't seem all that implausible that they would have a "gently caress you" response team on constant alert.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acquire Currency! posted:

Everyone learns this lesson one way or another.

Oh and sorry e-tank my power went out for a bit.

It's not really that big a deal if you just go for the turret parts and ignore all the ammo bags. Even just the turret is a huge $1m+ payout, and the area is basically one huge chokepoint for cops to line up and get shot to death by your sniper rifle/automatic weapon of choice. If you want to take out 4-5 cops in one shot with a sniper, that's the map to do it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I dunno if it's pubs are smart enough to not get it or I've never found it but I've done about 10 or so transports and never seen the blueprints. I didn't even know they existed until I saw goons complaining about it in the thread. I know I probably would never notice it in between tapping the saw and mashing F to pick stuff up. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Stanos posted:

I dunno if it's pubs are smart enough to not get it or I've never found it but I've done about 10 or so transports and never seen the blueprints. I didn't even know they existed until I saw goons complaining about it in the thread. I know I probably would never notice it in between tapping the saw and mashing F to pick stuff up. Maybe I'll try it one day.

The latest patch massively increased the spawn rate for the train heist plans, from something like 2% to 50%.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
How are you supposed to safely move the ammo anyways?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Revitalized posted:

I found out throwing it off the bridge is not effective. What is this, nitroglycerine? :mad:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Psion posted:

I found out throwing it off the bridge is not effective. What is this, nitroglycerine? :mad:

Considering that it's the TF2 turret that you're stealing...

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Revitalized posted:

The explosion is triggered by an excessive hang time. Throw it straight down at your feet and it won't blow. Yes, I know that sounds like terrible advice.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Revitalized posted:

Safely for the ammo or safely for you? Because if it's safely for the ammo the answer is by getting shot...a lot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Revitalized posted:

Slowly.

It's not something you do all the time, but if you get the turret into the boat and you still have health kit charges left/the assault ended and you still somehow have hostages/you're feeling ballsy it can be worth running a half dozen bags down.

And hey, if you run into a bulldozer on your way back down, chuck the bag at him! :getin:

Psion posted:

Lucky you. My buddy and I found it out when doing our usual routine of "bag all the poo poo up and throw it into a corner of the room and maybe the cops will 'help' us carry it". Blew ourselves up pretty good. :stonk:

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Pierson posted:

someone mentioned a holy exp trinity earlier, I assume one part of it is stealth Diamond Store for the 30% bonus then Overkill Firestarter for the insane loot and exp, what's the third part?

VV Oh not a heist then, alright.

Diamond Store Stealth -> Firestarter days 2 and 3 stealth -> Rats -> repeat

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FAUXTON posted:

Probably a goon without a microphone. I know one guy has no mic but is in Mumble to hear the others.

Ahhh, I'll have to try again someday. :unsmith:

Tulip posted:

The controller thing is surreall but blowing stealth is no big deal. My crew has a couple deathwish clears under the notch and most of us have all the other masks, and the only mission we stealth more often than not is Diamond Store. Talk to your team about non terrible skill builds, modding guns decently, and assuming they're semi-competent at FPS in general and don't mind failing around, you'll be doing the harder heists in not too long.

We usually come out on top if we blow the stealth but pulling it off gets us giddy like school girls which is why we always try.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

-Zydeco- posted:

The explosion is triggered by an excessive hang time. Throw it straight down at your feet and it won't blow. Yes, I know that sounds like terrible advice.

Something important to note here - sometimes lag can cause the game to think that the bag was thrown a lot farther than it actually was. I've had a game where just dropping it at my feet STILL made it blow up. When in doubt, just don't bag up ammo until you're prepared to take it all the way to the boat (or you deliberately want to use it as an explosive weapon).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I loving love bagnades, and the fact that they're money down the tubes just makes it more delightful.

I kind of just love train job, but i've never even attempted to stealth it (standing policy).

Other bad thing i love - all four crew members with batons. Ending every wave in Office Space mode is satisfying.

Sire Oblivion posted:

We usually come out on top if we blow the stealth but pulling it off gets us giddy like school girls which is why we always try.

You guys will be fine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A group I was in was running Big Bank loud and we decided to stick together rigorously. So 3 of us ended up on the roof, one to move the pig, one to get the time lock rewiring, and one to cover and blast snipers. We wrap up and start heading towards the ladder and as I'm looking down the ladder I see a skulldozer come trundling up the drat thing, shouting all the poo poo dozers normally do.

Motherfucker gets to the roof and we just open up on him, E-Tank empties his mag and doesn't want to reload so he just starts whanging away on this rear end in a top hat with his shovel. A good time was had.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So what's the verdict on the new shotguns?
I have the DLC but not the cash to try them all out right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FAUXTON posted:

A group I was in was running Big Bank loud and we decided to stick together rigorously. So 3 of us ended up on the roof, one to move the pig, one to get the time lock rewiring, and one to cover and blast snipers. We wrap up and start heading towards the ladder and as I'm looking down the ladder I see a skulldozer come trundling up the drat thing, shouting all the poo poo dozers normally do.

Motherfucker gets to the roof and we just open up on him, E-Tank empties his mag and doesn't want to reload so he just starts whanging away on this rear end in a top hat with his shovel. A good time was had.
Skulls are not in Overkill. I found it hilarious that I was lifted on top of each Shield climbing the ladder and that guy showed up, knocked me away, then everyone is instantly on top of him for a quick kill.

Disappointed that Ace Fully Loaded does fuckall for the new shotshells.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I don't find them to be nearly as enjoyable or effective as the snipers. Especially with riot shields. The pocket shotgun (secondary) is nice to have though. Frag rounds are kind of a joke.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Inzombiac posted:

No meaningful improvement over existing shotguns. Particularly bad is that they've got cheevo-locked mods, but they all take Shark Teeth which remains the most important shotgun mod and so you're still at the mercy of the cards for actually making your shotguns better.

I mean i guess you can make a pocket Raven into a primary version of the pocket Loco, but the only value of this is to dual shotgun which is kind of a weird thing to do, dude. Or i guess for Masterforcers to Shotgun+Bronco.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm surprised Enforcers don't have a top-tier skill that lets them bring two primary weapons to the party. Seems like that'd make the saw less painful to use and also be a fun ability for those who are less about the lootin' and more about the shootin'.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I think a major flub they did with the shotgun shells was that they just went with the -% to total ammo shtick, instead of applying more interesting "penalties." Impose LMG like penalties, gently caress with things like accuracy and/or stability, whatever, but the current total ammo penalties are way too restrictive considering the frankly underwhelming quality of the shell types. Maybe if frag rounds turned anything in their explosive proximity into hamburger, I'd be happy with the penalty, but as it stands, it just knocks guys around and that's about it. In any case, here's hoping Overkill takes a hard look at them soon.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I like the M1014. I can squeeze a bit more damage and therefore range out of it over the Izhma, though it's reload is really bad since it has tube feed. As long as you're always reloading when you're not shooting it's not too bad. Can fail you in an extended, intense fire fight though. For jobs like the big bank where it gets a bit crazy around the vault I would lean towards the Izhma.

The striker is essentially a secondary version of the Izhma which is fantastic. I prefer it over the loco due to it's faster rate of fire which lets me clear out cops faster. Also, once overkill is running, you only need around 55 damage to one shot tans, so all that extra damage from the loco is wasted. The striker also seems to have a less severe damage drop off, but I have no real numbers supporting that.

The Raven has a miserable rate of fire and I hate it. Can make a good stealth shotgun primary, but the M1014 can as well and that one is better at taking multiple people down fast which is what you want in light stealth armor.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Can someone tell me the secrets of the Izhma? People regularly get 100+ kills with it, apparently, but my fully tricked out + skilled out gun simply doesn't work.

What is its intended use?

• Locked thread