Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

AXE COP posted:

Well there's no loving way they're giving it to Tobi "lame as a friend of the family's baby" Wan after the shitfit he threw last year.

That is a loving shame. Tobi was fantastic at ESL One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

AXE COP posted:

Well there's no loving way they're giving it to Tobi "lame as a friend of the family's baby" Wan after the tantrum he threw last year.

What happened last year?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

AXE COP posted:

Well there's no loving way they're giving it to Tobi "lame as a friend of the family's baby" Wan after the tantrum he threw last year.

He threw that tantrum in TI2, but yeah I don't expect him to get the finals back. Tobi is a bad person that is a really good play-by-play caster, that's all!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ragingsheep posted:

But ESL One was pretty fun.

Game 5 was a fun watch whether you want to admit it or not.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

ArchangeI posted:

What happened last year?

He tweeted something about how since he/Joindota usually cover the European scene it's only right for him to cover the grand finals between European teams.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
ESL was kinda stupid because none of the teams wanted to show anything so they all just ran TI3 drafts

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

ArchangeI posted:

What happened last year?

Like Geight said it was ti2 but basically he was unhappy with the games he'd been assigned to cast. Instead of just sucking it up he started complaining on twitter before going to cast other games that were already covered, leaving a whole bunch of matches without English commentary. So valve were like "gently caress you" and gave all his finals games to someone else.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

AXE COP posted:

Like Geight said it was ti2 but basically he was unhappy with the games he'd been assigned to cast. Instead of just sucking it up he started complaining on twitter before going to cast other games that were already covered, leaving a whole bunch of matches without English commentary. So valve were like "gently caress you" and gave all his finals games to someone else.

That is outrageously unprofessional and I'm surprised he got work from Valve after that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Firebatgyro posted:

ESL was kinda stupid because none of the teams wanted to show anything so they all just ran TI3 drafts

...uh? The only team that did that was Alliance, and only after they lost games that relied on their usual stRategy.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Did this thread warp here from the year 2012 or am I experiencing time dilation first hand

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Brannock posted:

That is outrageously unprofessional and I'm surprised he got work from Valve after that.

To be fair he was one of like, 3 available casters at the time so they didn't really have a choice, and he has since cleaned up his act.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

http://instagram.com/p/qIa7D8I8gV/

Era :shobon:

(n0tails luggage gone again, what the flying gently caress is up with his luck?)

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Honestly Tasteless x Artosis is the golden standard of esports casting and no duo even comes close to the rapport, ability to transition from small talk (a eventuality and necessity in casting extended duration games such as Dota and Starcrafts) to play-by-play commentary, insight into player actions and outlining the match's trajectory, and sheer personability.

A lot of casters sort of excel in one area and fall flat in another, for example Merlini is arguably the most insightful commentator (tossup between him and Synderen, not including one-off pro player casts), but lack of emotivity can alienate inexperienced or passive viewers, while Lumi trades off some intelligibility and depth of discussion for a more active, genial presentation.

On the caster front (as opposed to the analytic commentator position), LD is assuredly the most insightful of the lot, but lacks charisma, most emphatically so when the hype gets to him; conversely, Ayesee's radio host voice is inviting and conventional, but his incessant platitudes and total lack of game comprehension leaves most viewers with little other than mockable background noise.

Most other casters are objectively bad (Tobi, Lysander, Zyori, Sheever, I would include Sunsfan here but I think he's just a better Ayesee at this point), but I think the biggest reason why there's such a gulf between Dota casting and less freeform games like Starcraft and League is the lack of stable caster couplings. To my recollection LD and Lumi were the longest standing frequent caster pairing, but the latter's emigration from BTS leaves the record somewhere between Tobi and Maut or Ayesee and Draskyl, duos who cast repeatedly together for less than a year, obviously rendering camaraderie and synergy deficient.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Minrad posted:

...uh? The only team that did that was Alliance, and only after they lost games that relied on their usual stRategy.

Ok sorry not every team used TI3 strategies, the rest used strategies from the last 6 months instead.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Firebatgyro posted:

Ok sorry not every team used TI3 strategies, the rest used strategies from the last 6 months instead.

If that is the case, rat DOTA is still the best strategy so far.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

As opposed to...?

All of TI3's games were the same as the games a few months before hand; a meta dominated by top/pick ban io, batrider, naix, alchemist

TI2 was similar only it was dark seer, naga siren, and morphling

Guess what TI4's games will be like...? (hint it's going to revolve around brew, doom, io, and batrider)

Minera fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 7, 2014

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It's nice to have Batrider still be really good because he's super good at that one thing and also be aggressively mediocre at most everything else.

His nerfs have been well-warranted and modest.

I disagree that he will be a super common pick though. I'm willing to be wrong, but I think his 3 position role is taken over by much more capable heroes currently. He's DEFINITELY in the pool, but he might get passed for tide/void/Mirana even if unbanned.

DNK fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 7, 2014

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
ESL One and a lot of recent Chinese tournaments have shown Batrider falling out of favor. He's still good mind you, but between Doom, Void, Tide, Furion, Elder Titan, Dark Seer, teams running offensive trilanes, and teams like iG running heavy roaming strats reducing the need to sacrifice a hero in the offlane, Batrider isn't top of the heap like he used to be.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
Only another day till the play-ins start. I'm not sure how much more caster discussion I can take.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Batrider will never not be good unless lasso is changed significantly.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

MuffinMan posted:

Only another day till the play-ins start. I'm not sure how much more caster discussion I can take.

Time to start seriously debating which courier is the best.

Just kidding, Archer Penguin is the best.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zurreco posted:

Donkey for life.

Im personally excited for the inevitable Nightstalker game. He will wreck face, but not make up for their lovely choice in hard-carry. But it will be :black101:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AXE COP posted:

You mean 2 years ago.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

There's not really such a thing as hiding strats for a big tournament, it's always more valuable to have practiced a pocket strat against competition to make sure that you have it down than it is to have the element of surprise but potentially fall apart. A lot of times when you see a "crazy draft" with a current pro casting they'll mention that the team has tried it out in scrims beforehand and all the pro players are at least aware of it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Minrad posted:

As opposed to...?

All of TI3's games were the same as the games a few months before hand; a meta dominated by top/pick ban io, batrider, naix, alchemist

TI2 was similar only it was dark seer, naga siren, and morphling

Guess what TI4's games will be like...? (hint it's going to revolve around brew, doom, io, and batrider)

I'm pretty sure the rise of Silencer will happen in the early group stages, since he counters all those heroes pretty well if the person has good reactions.

A lot of pros were saying they'd pick him all the time if they had people who played him, since the meta has shifted to heavy teamfights with lots of ganks.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.

Zurreco posted:

I've become a hat addict lately and it's really awful. I had the black/white pokemon courier and the scarab.

Luckily it seems like if you take any Chinese team with a 25% chance to win on D2L you're going to win that bet and make mad steam bucks.

I did buy 15 chests in hopes of beaver knight but it was all d2l winnings. :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dart posted:

Batrider will never not be good unless lasso is changed significantly.

I don't get why they don't make it not drag people through impassable terrain like the tooltip says (said?).

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Elman posted:

I don't get why they don't make it not drag people through impassable terrain like the tooltip says (said?).

So you want them to nerf Lasso? If anything, it needs something like a 5/10/15/20% armor reduction rate in order to make Batrider better.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I want them to nerf Lasso so maybe they can buff his other skills, yeah. At this rate they're gonna keep nerfing him every patch until he's miserable to play and he'll still be a top competitive pick.

It's just that it's a fundamentally strong skill for the same reasons Doom and Chronosphere are. The entire hero has to be balanced around it because killing someone without letting them get any spells off is ridiculously strong.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If you nerf lasso and buff his other skills he's just a hero that wins 1v1 lanes and has a bad ult? I think we have enough one dimensional lane dominators. Bat is unique and fine the way he is.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
With the recent nerfs, DK, IG and Newbee have begun to ignore him as a first pick/ban. Maybe he'll just be a situational pick now.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
What if bat rider was an anime girl with huge tits???

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We're going back to big teamfights and giant ults now, so Bat appears less useful in those cases to me.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

For a moment I thought I was in the League of Legends thread.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tsurupettan posted:

For a moment I thought I was in the League of Legends thread.

What if his ult was a slow moving skillshot and he had a passive to help his right clicks???

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Wait which one, the bat or the rider?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Zurreco posted:

It's the drodo.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Spudd posted:

Por que no los dos?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Spudd posted:

Both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Spudd posted:

The rider becomes an anime girl and the bat gets a 6 pack of nipples.

e: Also the entire match has to stop and watch a 30 second long transformation sequence a la Sailor Moon

• Locked thread