Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
ROOT FOR THE BLUE! MAGIC ARMOR FOR THE WIN! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I was going to be mad about the cliffhanger, but then I saw the General Lee and everything was ok.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH :siren:

Championship Match, Dr Stranglelove (Anchors) vs. Horza (ZeeToo), Part 2

And Dr Stranglelove and Horza charge at each other!

Stranglelove looks a whole lot faster out of the gate! Probably because his armor is lighter.

That won't help him though.

We don't know that yet.

Horza lowers his shoulder and charges at the strangler in an attempt to knock him down, but the little guy jumps away!

And that's the advantage of adamantine armor right there! With leather, you can dodge, but you can't absorb a hit. With steel, you can absorb a hit, but you can't dodge. But with adamantine, you can dodge, and then you can absorb the hit if your dodge doesn't quite work out.

Horza charges again, but Stranglelove leaps back!

He's quick on his feet!

But if he keeps jumping back like that, he'll get backed into a corner sooner or later!

Now Stranglelove takes a powerful swing with his pick, but this time it's HORZA that jumps away!

The big guy has is showing some agility too here! A guy that size shouldn't be able to move like that at all!

Horza charges again, but Stranglelove jumps away yet AGAIN!

And Horza just ran right by him!

But Horza manages to stop his forward momentum and get turned back around, and charges again! He lowers his shoulder and finally knocks Stranglelove down to the ground!

He got the knockdown there, but he hasn't even caused so much as a bruise yet through all that armor.

Maybe not, but I don't think a guy who's out-sized like this can win a fight from his back.

Horza tries to take advantage and grab Stranglelove's leg in a wrestling grip, but the strangler rolls away before Horza can get to him!

And STILL nobody has landed a hit yet this fight!

Oh yeah? What about Horza knocking the little guy to the ground? Doesn't that count as a hit?

No, it doesn't count if you just knock him to the ground. You have to at least leave a bruise.

Now Stranglelove gets back to his feet.

And he just barely managed to avoid a haymaker-punch there from Horza in the process!

Horza charges again, but Stranglelove leaps back! Horza continues to charge, and this time Stranglelove leaps to the side, and Horza charges right past him!

All those points in dodging were well-spent.

Yeah, it's just too bad for him you can't spend points on making yourself larger.

Statler, Waldorf, you two have been quiet so far. Do either of you have anything to add?

zzzzzz... hmm? Wha?

Wake us up when someone draws blood.

Horza charges again, and yet AGAIN the strangler jumps out of the way!

And now Horza's off balance, and the strangler has an opening!

Strangler quickly strikes with his pick as Horza tries to get his feet set, and the little guy knocks a tusk right out of the troll's mouth!

That's the first hit anybody has landed all fight!

Only by your interpretation of what constitutes a hit, Gino. The big guy still has one tusk and both his horns.

Horza swings another punch at the strangler, but misses, and the strangler counterstrikes with one of his picks! He connects!

He got him in the arm there, Al, and -- and it looks like Horza's in a little bit of pain.

And for those of you who aren't aware, troll blood is a light-blue, almost cyan color, and you can see a few spatters of that on the arena floor.

That might have been a crippling hit there, if Horza used weapons like most arena fighters do. But as an unarmed fighter, he's not going to be dropping anything that he needs to win here, and he can still fight every bit as effectively as he could before.

Horza is momentarily stunned after being hit, and Stranglelove presses the advantage! He swings his pick again, and connects with the right lower arm again!

It looks like that hit severed the posterior brachial cutaneous nerve!

The WHO?

Is that a motor nerve, or a sensory nerve, or is it one of those nerves that does both, Gino?

It's a sensory nerve.

Well, this could work to Horza's advantage then. It doesn't look like he's feeling any more pain out there, at least, and he seems to be able to move his hand on that arm just fine.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. If i wanted an advantage in a fight, the first thing I'd do is make sure something important and necessary of mine gets severed.

I'd make a joke here, but that setup was too obvious even for me.

Horza charges once again, this time with newfound ferocity!

Stranglelove looks a little surprised at Horza's quick recovery here!

Horza misses with his punch, but his body collides with the strangler, who is knocked to the ground for the second time this match!

And the little guy looks stunned this time! This could be trouble!

Now Horza grabs Stranglelove's left hand and attempts to break it... but the little guy has just enough awareness to slip away before any damage can be done.

He shook out the cobwebs pretty quickly there.

While he tries to get back to his feet, Horza charges and lowers his head to gore the strangler... but the adamantine armor deflects it!

Troll horns are no match for Stranglelove's armor.

I agree with you there, Gino. The big guy is better off wrestling.

Horza backs off and charges once again, and knocks Stranglelove to the arena floor again!

Yeah, and that's -- that's the third time now that he's knocked him down, but he hasn't been able to hurt him yet through that armor.

Horza tries to leap on top of Stranglelove, but the strangler rolls away!

If the little guy can stay on his feet, he has a good chance to win this. But if he keeps getting knocked down, that gives Horza a chance to get right back in this.

And now Stranglelove gets back to his feet, just in time to be knocked back down by another charge from the troll!

I like the strategy by Horza here! He's pushing the strangler into a corner!

Horza tries to leap on the strangler again, and AGAIN he rolls away at the last second!

The little strangler continues to prevent Horza from being able to press any sort of advantage!

Stranglelove gets back to his feet again, and has to IMMEDIATELY leap back out of the way of another charge from Horza!

But now -- now Horza has managed to back him up against the wall! He has Stranglelove right where he wants him!

---

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of the Arena Challenge Championship Match!

You know? You can be a real jackass sometimes, Jazz.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 6, 2014

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
You're a butt :arghfist: :(

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Whatever, I think this fight is awesome so far.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

You're a butt :arghfist: :(

A hilarious butt.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
This is your vengeance for making everyone cast the match, isn't it?

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
It's been nearly two years since the tournament began. I can wait another day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

unwantedplatypus posted:

This is your vengeance for making everyone cast the match, isn't it?

If so, I would like to lay some small amount of claim to everyone's anguish, yvw.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I honestly thought the fight would be flat settled in the first exchange of blows.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dodging is OP.

Hopefully the new version will force a complete reset of the meta.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
That armor was a pro-buy.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Oh man it's haaaaaappppeenniiinngggg!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

I honestly thought the fight would be flat settled in the first exchange of blows.

I did as well. There would be like two lines after 'they charge to the center.'

Those lines would be
"...he took a loving pick to the face!"

And

"It's all over!"

And then roll credits, just like the original (and far superior) ending to Dodgeball.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Championship Match, Dr Stranglelove (Anchors) vs. Horza (ZeeToo), Part 3

Welcome back! As we enter our third day of fighting, this is proving to be one of the longest Arena matches I can remember!

Oh boy, you're telling me!

Statler and I never even had to do a fight anywhere near one-tenth this long, and we still had trouble staying awake the whole time.

Speak for yourself, you old narcoleptic.

And here, during day three, still neither fighter has much of an advantage!

Yeah, Stranglelove has wounded one of Horza's arms and also knocked out one of his teeth, but Horza has knocked the little guy to the ground quite a few times, and has just backed Stranglelove into a corner!

Horza charges again, and with Stranglelove backed against the wall with nowhere to escape to, the little guy is knocked to the arena floor again!

But can the troll take advantage this time?

Horza grabs Stranglelove's right hand and attempts to break it, but Stranglelove squirms free!

Horza has the right idea here! Keep knocking the little guy down, and then go for the wrestling moves, using your size and leverage!

Stranglelove tries to stand up again, and Horza knocks him right back down, then grabs one of his legs!

This could be trouble if he manages to get a joint lock on the knee here!

As Horza tries to get into position, once again Stranglelove slips free!

He won't be able to keep slipping out of these holds forever.

Stranglelove gets to his feet again, and Horza charges again... but this time, Stranglelove ducks under Horza's legs, and the troll slams into the wall at full speed!

Uh-oh! The big guy could be in some real trouble now!

But it doesn't look like that's the case at all, John, as Horza quickly shrugs off the impact, and gets himself turned around to face his opponent.

And that's a lost opportunity there by Stranglelove. If he had been a little bit quicker, he might have been able to do something with it.

Horza charges at Stranglelove and swings a punch! The uppercut bounces harmlessly off of the strangler's adamantine helmet, but the fighters' bodies collide, and Stranglelove is on the ground again!

And Stranglelove is stunned again! Another opportunity here for Horza!

Horza throws another punch, but it's completely ineffective!

Waste of time trying to punch trough that magic armor. It's impossible to hurt him that way. Absolutely impossible.

Horza tries to go for a wrist-lock, but Stranglelove manages to slip away despite being stunned!

The strangler managed to come back to his senses just in time.

Horza tries to grab the little guy's arm and work on the elbow, but again Stranglelove slips away!

Oh, what a missed opportunity for the troll!

Stranglelove stands up again... but once again he's knocked right back down, and stunned! And this time, Horza doesn't waste time grabbing arms or legs, he goes right for the throat, and squeezes!

There's a tiny gap between that adamantine helmet and the breastplate, and Horza's hands found it! This could be it!

The tables are turned, as Stranglelove the strangler is now the strangle-ee! He kicks and thrashes about with all of his strength, and somehow -- SOMEHOW -- just manages to slip out of the chokehold! He rolls away, gasping for air!

Oh, come on. Did this little guy grease himself up with butter before the match or something?

I think that injury and nerve damage to Horza's arm earlier in the match might have been a factor there, but I'm not sure.

I think Horza is starting to get tired! He's been charging and chasing and grappling all match, while Stranglelove has spent almost as much time on his back as he has on his feet!

Well, he's not the only one who's starting to get tired.

Zzzzzz...

Horza charges again, and knocks over Stranglelove again!

But the little guy keeps slipping out of every attempt by Horza at a wrestling hold, and keeps getting back to his feet!

Horza knocks down Stranglelove yet again, and stuns him again!

If Horza can keep doing this, it's only a matter of time before he finally manages to bend one of the little guy's joints the wrong way and cripple him. And then -- THEN he'll have his way with him!

Stranglelove tries to get back to his feet, and Horza punches the strangler's arm as hard as he can!

Stranglelove winces! I can't believe this! It looks like that punch delivered a pretty nasty bruise, right through the MAGIC ADAMANTINE ARMOR!

Ha ha ha ha ha! And they said it couldn't be done! Maybe his armor isn't so impenetrable after all!

That was impressive... but it's just a bruise. And it's going to take a whole lot more than a bruise to win this fight for either side, Jess.

Now Horza places his hands on his own legs for support and leans over, gasping, trying to catch his breath. He's starting to look just a little tired out there!

I told you so! Being on the offense for three days straight is causing him to wear himself out!

A tired Horza charges again, but Stranglelove dodges nimbly out of the way... and Horza crashes into the wall! Horza falls over, stunned!

This might be trouble!

Stranglelove presses his advantage, and swings his picks twice in rapid succession!

Uh-oh.

One pick connects with Horza's left foot -- but only delivers a bruise! The other pick fails to hit squarely, and deflects off of Horza's leg armor, inflicting no damage at all! But Horza is still stunned.

He has time for one more strike, and he'd better make it count!

Stranglelove carefully lines up his pick with the mailed faceguard of Horza's helm, preparing to end this fight with a single perfectly squared-up strike!

This might be it!

It's a shame. Horza had one hell of a run, but like they say, all good things must come to an end.

Stranglelove swings his steel pick with all of his power at Horza's face, and a perfect, powerful strike... IS DEFLECTED by the faceguard of Horza's SHINY GLOWING BLUE METAL helmet!

Ha ha ha! The strangler isn't the only one wearing some adamantine out there for this fight!

I knew that shiny blue helmet Horza was wearing looked awfully familiar.

Ho ho ho! There's no way the big guy could afford a full suit of adamantine armor big enough to fit HIS frame, but he was able to get enough adamantine to protect the most important part of all!

Zzzzz... hmm... what was that? Did you say he was wearing an adamantine protective cup?

snore... uh... Uh, I think they call it an adamantine codpiece. Zzzzz...

Horza shakes his head furiously, and leaps back up to his feet with renewed vigor, as Stranglelove quickly backs away, both of his picks held up at the ready!

---

Tune in tomorrow, where we'll bring you the grand finale of --

If they didn't hate you before, I'm pretty sure they do now. rear end in a top hat.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 6, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:smug:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Wow. Accurately summarising how long this fight has gone on, postwise. I'm honestly impressed, although if I was into betting my Dorfbux, I'd put it all on Strangelove. The helm was a hilarious moment though!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, that helm. I don't even remember who I bet on, but this has been an excellent match thus far!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

This kind of poo poo is why Optimus took back the Matrix of Leadership.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I had your back for a minute, Jazzimus, but now it's getting tired. Finish it!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"I'm going to keep getting knocked down and conserve my strength" is an odd strategy but drat if it ain't working so far.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 6, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I had your back for a minute, Jazzimus, but now it's getting tired. Finish it!

Please don't finish until next Saturday at the earliest. :haw:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
*biting fingernails to nubs*

Come on Dr. Stranglelove! Don't get strangled!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Championship Match, Dr Stranglelove (Anchors) vs. Horza (ZeeToo), Part 4

We're now in the fourth day of the championship match, where there's still no sign of letting up by either Dr Stranglelove or Horza! It's still anyone's fight at this point!

Fatigue will become a factor for both of these fighters eventually. But which one will it get to first?

Horza charges again, and once again Stranglelove is knocked backwards and stunned.

But Horza seems a little slow to take advantage of the situation. I think he's the more tired of the two guys at this point.

I still think he has an advantage here, as long as he keeps knocking the strangler to the ground.

Horza grabs for a leg to grapple with, but Stranglelove easily slips away!

I'm telling you, the troll is looking tired out there. He could make a critical mistake at any moment now if he isn't careful!

Horza charges again, leading with his arms to try to give Stranglelove an extra-forceful shove to the ground -- and Horza steps aside and swings a pick at Horza's left arm, cleanly severing the hand at the wrist!

And there was that mistake Gorilla was talking about!

Stranglelove quickly follows up with a powerful strike to Horza's feet -- but the troll's steel boot deflects it!

Horza's bleeding pretty badly from the stump of his left hand, though.

He can still recover from this as long as he has one good hand. He just needs to get the little guy back on the ground again. And not lose any more body parts.

Horza charges again and knocks Stranglelove right back onto the arena floor!

And -- and he's been doing that all fight, but he hasn't been able to do much with it once he gets the little guy on the ground. He's going to have to change that now if he expects to win this fight.

Stranglelove stands back up before Horza can grab him, so Horza charges and bowls the strangler over again!

yawn... Didn't we see this already?

This time, Horza gathers all of his strength and charges the prone Stranglelove, and gores him in one of his left arms!

Again, I don't think that's the most effective...

Wait, Stranglelove is writhing on the ground in pain! It looks like that hit broke one of the arm bones!

A troll's horn fractured the ulna through the adamantine armor? Are you kidding? How is that even possible?

I don't think we saw this already.

This could be the turning point of the match right here!

Well, both guys are hurting, but Horza is starting to look a little pale from all of that blood he's been losing.

As Stranglelove gets back to his feet, Horza lowers his shoulder and charges again!

If he can repeat what he did last time, he'll be in a great position for the rest of the fight!

But Stranglelove jumps aside, and swings one of his picks as hard as he can with his two remaining good arms -- and takes off Horza's left arm at the elbow!

That's started the bleeding all over again!

This is a really bad development here for Horza.

Horza charges again, and knocks down the strangler one more time!

He'd better do something quick here before it's too late!

The troll climbs on top of the strangler, grabs for the little guy's throat with his remaining hand, and... collapses on top of him, dead from blood loss!

Dr Stranglelove, battered, bruised, bloodied, broken-boned and exhausted, crawls out from underneath the troll's body to huge cheers from the crowd! The strangler has won the Arena Challenge tournament!

Having the ultimate protection saved him more than once this fight, and it proved to be well worth its considerable expense!

The larger fighters had their way through most of the tournament, but the little guy came through in the end when it mattered most! Congratulations to Dr Stranglelove!

I didn't think it could be done. There's no shame in Horza's performance though, proving that unarmed combat is viable in the tournament by taking that approach farther than any one-on-one fighter ever has before. Congratulations to both fighters!

Well, that was fun.

Yeah. Can we go home now?

Here's one final look at the blue-blood-soaked arena where Dr Stranglelove has won the Arena championship. For John Madden, Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura, Statler, and Waldorf, this is Al Michaels signing off from Vox Nihili Memorial Arena! Good night!

---

Welcome back to the DBC Studios, where we'd like to like to congratulate Horza for a memorable performance in defeat, and of course congratulate Dr Stranglelove for winning this in-universe-year's tournament, even though it took three real-world years to complete!

So when does the next tournament start?

Uh, that's all the time we have today. I hope you all enjoyed the tournament, and we look forward to doing all of this again, uh... soon... ish... hopefully. Thanks to everyone who watched and participated, have a good night, and enjoy the off-season! For Ironhide, this is Jazzimus Prime, signing off!

Combat Log

Final Betting Standings

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Daaaamn. Still surprised that sort of damage didn't happen on first contact.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
When I opened this thread for the first time yesterday and saw that the first post was from 2011, I expected that it had been bumped for a last time to notify everyone that a new thread had been posted or something.

As I binged through the whole thread I never could have imagined that I would have finished reading literally just in time for the final update to be posted. Good job, everyone.

Even you Munki.

Kinda.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JT Jag posted:

Even you Munki.

Kinda.

I hope you choke on it.

Wait, you're not Spermy Smurf, wtf is going on here?

Anyhow, I successfully lost all my money, so everything is right in the world.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Oh, well. At least I won the betting! :toot:

I really thought I had this in the bag, because a bigger fighter's armor is proportionately more thick. I figured that there was a decent chance it'd block Horza being hurt almost entirely in this fight.

I was able to focus so much on his armor because I've never seen the wrestling skills change the outcome much, so from the moment I took Horza over from his first manager, I invested solely in upgrading his plating. You can kind of see why I'm disdainful of training wrestling just looking at this fight; even with Dr. Stranglelove's adamantine armor he suffered broken bones and could well have been strangled to death. In my own tests, the difference between nearly maxed and nothing in skills for wrestlers was hard to see. The big problem a Horza-like competitor has is getting out of the gate; while eventually a troll can fumble his bulk to killing a dwarf or goblin, he has to do that before suffering a fatal strike from the smaller fighter's weapon and in the arena that armor he needs is hard to get. It was never a build I would have been willing to make from scratch, myself, but I lucked into it after it was past its most serious danger zone.

Oh, and congrats to Anchors. You earned it, man. Making a good strangler is a difficult proposition, and you took it all the way.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That was a great fight, and what must have been exhausting commentary writing. Well done all around.

Thanks for taking over the tournament Jazz, I am willing to run fights and provide less humorous commentary if the next tournament allows delegation of fights.

I am impressed I am 16th in money after earning 600 more dwarf bucks than what I started with. Just not betting would have been nearly as productive!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, that was legitimately a nail biter to read through, I figured Stranglelove would've been done for after the choke-hold since there's really no skill that directly helps with escaping holds, iirc.

Like, Congrats to ZeeToo for the absolute financial domination.

For anyone who is particularly interested, here is the final build for Dr. Stranglelove:

He has the following equipment.
Steel Pick
Steel Pick
Adamantine Cap
Adamantine Helm
Bronze Mail Shirt
Adamantine Breast Plate
Adamantine Greaves
Adamantine Gauntlets
Adamantine High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 12 Fighting (Master)
Level 2 Wrestling (Adequate)
Level 3 Biting (Competent)
Level 8 Dodging (Expert)
Level 9 Armor (Professional)
Level 14 Misc. Object (Grand Master)
Level 1 Kicking (Novice)

The reason for the skill spread is basically to milk as many stat-ups as possible from experience by buying lots of the cheapest skills. Kicking, biting, and wrestling were basically just leftover points.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
11th in the betting, I think that's the first time I've made a net positive from a tournament. Congratulations Anchors, Strangler managers represent!

:respek:
:respek:

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
This was really fun to read from beginning to end, thanks for finishing the tournament Jazzimus. I also look forward to the next one whenever that will come to pass.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Awesome writeup and great work throughout, Jazzimus.

I look forward to the next one if and when! :hfive:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm assuming we'll have a new tournament start when the new version hits? Maybe?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That was a glorious final. You did it, little guy. You've earned your freedom.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 7, 2014

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Iunnrais posted:

I'm assuming we'll have a new tournament start when the new version hits? Maybe?

Well, previous tournaments have used a mod, which I believe was created by Vox Nihili, to balance the combat better and reduce some of the more nonsensical aspects. I imagine that will need a bit of adaptation to work in the new version of the game. And since Vox Nihili has been MIA for quite some time, it will probably need a few other knowledgeable people hacking it together.

But maybe we should just run something with DF2014 combat out of the box in all its buggy glory...

(edit: also big THANKS to Jazzimus for rescuing this thread and bringing the tournament to a suitably glorious conclusion!)

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 7, 2014

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Jazzimus, you're all sorts awesome for seeing this through with style.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Glad to hear everyone enjoyed it! :)

Iunnrais posted:

It may take a while for a stable version of the new release to come out, so I'm not sure whether we'll use the new one or the old one (which actually runs a DF2010 version, 0.31.25).

I'd like to change a few things with the website before the new tournament, though. Specifically, I'd like to set everything up so that some users will be able to run tournament fights without having full admin status on the site, and this requires some minor changes in the database and the code to support it. This would allow things to move a little faster since I wouldn't have to write up all of the fights myself, which was by far the most time-consuming part of this endeavor.

:siren: INCOMING WALL OF TEXT DESCRIBING IDEAS FOR THE NEXT TOURNAMENT :siren:

After the back-end coding is finished, I'm leaning towards the idea of a tournament which would be kind of similar to an NFL American Football season -- with four divisions of four teams each, each team consisting of five fighters, for a total of 4x4x5=80 participants. I'm not sure yet whether teammates would be determined randomly, or whether those who sign up early would get to choose a team, but the idea is you'd have to work with four other goons to create an optimized build for your team. Three kobold archers protected by two troll meatshield brawlers, perhaps? That would be up to you and your teammates.

Once the teams are set, there would be a round-robin type schedule, where every team fights every other team once except for the teams in their own division, which they'd fight twice. This would result in each team participating in 18 fights for the season (12 interdivision fights and 6 intradivision fights each). Ideally every team would fight once a week, so there would be eight weekly fights total. After the 18 week regular season, the champions of each division would qualify for the playoff tournament, and there would probably be "wild-card" qualifiers as well (i.e. the best remaining teams that did not win a division).

Obviously, this implies a large number of fights for the entire season (18 x 16 / 2 = 144 regular season fights, plus another 7 fights in the playoff tournament if we assume 8 teams qualify -- 4 divisional champions and 4 wild-cards -- for a total of 151 five-on-five fights, compared to 128 one-on-one fights in the tournament that was just completed). Even with more people running the fights, I wouldn't expect every fight to get its own effortpost, but there would be at least one "Match of the Week" (possibly two or three) that would get the full write-up during each week of the regular season. All playoff matches would get the full write-up.

I'm still trying to figure out how it all would work, and any ideas are welcome.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am half mast just reading that. That sounds awesome!

Bad Munki, want to team up so I can backstab you for whatever you did to earn my ire?

gently caress that, I call dibs on "Team Hope Dad Munki Loses The Tournament"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I don't think it'd hurt anyone to let people arrange their own teams. I can tell you that whether we use this version of the Voxmod or upgrade (and I've dropped out of following Dwarf Fortress news, so I dunno what's changed in the last couple years), there would need to be a lot of work on the point costs and points given to races. The tournament outline seems viable, but it's probably going to take a good amount of testing to make the games interesting.

I'm happy to contribute what I can to the project.

• Locked thread