Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo, is this right? I punched in my numbers and it looks like wearing just the suit gives me the most health/armor total. :stare:

That doesn't seem right, but I guess it might be. If so that'd actually be kinda cool, although also kinda weird.

I guess you get more effective health but less armor, and since armor regenerates that's not necessarily good. Which means the CTV is still actually decent on lots of super loud missions, but yeah does make you think. I may try taking ballistic vest or such lesser armor next time I'm doing something where I gotta run fast.
Bear in mind that in order to enjoy that insane effective health, you need to be perpetually sprinting, which means either you've got Aced Iron Man or you aren't shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FAUXTON posted:

The ghost class/playstyle is a poor fit for the game as it currently is. I imagine they want it to be a "rogue" type of role, avoiding getting shot at or hit altogether rather than absorbing damage through bulky armor, but since you're going to be running out into a hail of bullets to revive someone or retrieve a bag basically every loving mission, all that poo poo about staying under the radar and sneaking around to flank enemies is loving pointless.

Stealthing a mission is only occasionally an option and only sometimes among that is it actually feasible. They ought to just retool that whole tree to either be a peripheral combat support role (I.e. give them the sniper rifle skills and better aggro-dissipation so they can pick off specials without getting shot at like Amadou Diallo every time they leave cover) or just turn it into a straight support skill tree like it is now but without the bullshit skills nobody takes.
The thing is, Ghost players should make use of silent attacks when flanking cops and murder them before they notice you. Seeing as how my crew tend to be superforcers who stay in place, makes it easy to move around and kill cops who are busy with everyone else. You are not moving around enough and probably being as loud as possible, at a long distance, to have a change of style.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

maswastaken posted:

Bear in mind that in order to enjoy that insane effective health, you need to be perpetually sprinting, which means either you've got Aced Iron Man or you aren't shooting.

No, I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. If you read the sheet carefully and modify the values for the ghost perks, then even standing still you have more effective health points with straight suit than with everything short of Iron Man armor. However, it is heavily weighted towards effective health, and you have very little armor, which isn't as ideal since it doesn't regenerate.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Got my 5th level of infamy last night, thank you to the folks who both ran a diamond store and bought an election day pro so I could rid myself of that +50% boost.

NOW I can plan those super builds.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Reith posted:

Any advice on this spec? I haven't used pistols in ages and I'm messing with HoxHud's skill profiler so it's fun to try out a lot of different setups. I feel like maybe it's a bit too heavy in MM... I got most of the quality of life skills I want, but no C4 always hurts. :(

http://www.pd2skills.info/profile/pistolmind-17/

When you use HocHud's profiler to switch between profiles, does it charge you the normal dollar amount to swap all your skills over to a new profile?

I'm currently saving up for a respec because that poo poo's gonna cost me upwards of $5M and I rarely have more than $1M on me at any given time. *sigh* Why does respeccing have to be so expensive? I just want to play around with some new game mechanics. :smith:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah I'm a big scrub who likes to tank fire with my face, so I got ICTV and I love it. If I can get Bulletproof it'll be even better.

I wish mag plus worked with sniper rifles. 15 shot thanatos :getin:

(mind you, I know that's exactly why it doesn't)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trustworthy posted:

When you use HocHud's profiler to switch between profiles, does it charge you the normal dollar amount to swap all your skills over to a new profile?

I'm currently saving up for a respec because that poo poo's gonna cost me upwards of $5M and I rarely have more than $1M on me at any given time. *sigh* Why does respeccing have to be so expensive? I just want to play around with some new game mechanics. :smith:

First, yeah it still costs the same. Otherwise it'd be a pretty big cheat.

Second, the game is balanced such that we could grind on it for years and never have everything. Which is kinda smart and kinda awful.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Re: GhostForcer stuff

Maybe the idea is have a fatforcer sit on a perch with a sniper and max threat to pick off cops, use big armor to survive, have an awesome shotty for anything that rolls up close, and alleviate pressure from the rest of the group by getting the cops to focus fire and EXECUTE COMBAT ROLL? That could help with ghosts trying to do their thing in the fray.

I've been snipeforcing anyway so kind of want to try it. Of course the idea of a rooftop guy distracting a shield/dozer so a ghost can hit 'em kind of breaks down when the best answer to that already is to shoot 'em in the face with said sniper from 6 feet away. Being separated with the potential to get tazed/cloaked/sniped doesn't really help either.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

John Murdoch posted:

Equilibrium is mostly a gimmick for turning the Stryk into a buzzsaw, but I could see it working as a nice DPS increase on the various near-zero-recoil pistols. Though even then, most of them already fire plenty quick.

Aced Equilibrium could also be useful for panic firing the Bronco or Deagle, but yeah, it's unnecessary for most builds. I will say that Basic Equilibrium is nice, though, since I cycle weapon constantly mid-firefight and the difference is noticeable.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Zaphod42 posted:

First, yeah it still costs the same. Otherwise it'd be a pretty big cheat.
And yet, HoxHud left a setting in the profiler script (if you know how to set up LUA mods) that makes spending points, through the standard tree or profiler, absolutely free :v:

edit: To be clear, this isn't accessible by default, it costs money in a standard HoxHud install and they didn't leave the setting in the HoxHudTweakData file. You have to know the exact setting name in order to toggle the cheat. But still. :allears:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 7, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

maketakunai posted:

And yet, HoxHud left a setting in the profiler script (if you know how to set up LUA mods) that makes spending points, through the standard tree or profiler, absolutely free :v:

Oh snap.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. If you read the sheet carefully and modify the values for the ghost perks, then even standing still you have more effective health points with straight suit than with everything short of Iron Man armor. However, it is heavily weighted towards effective health, and you have very little armor, which isn't as ideal since it doesn't regenerate.
I was mixing up health and durability (to be fair, effective health is only part of the equation) and I was looking at it with Bulletproof factored in, where all the standing durability values are roughly the same except for the massively superior ICTV. Flak Jacket is lowest at 481, Ballistic Vest is second highest at 499, ICTV has 617. When you start running, only the CTV fails to blow the ICTV out of the water and it fails hard.

I really wouldn't take this spreadsheet too seriously. For fun and science, have the armour count double (or triple with t-6 enforcer buff) for the final calculations. Putting in a crude "I actually take cover sometimes when I'm hurt" factor like that instantly puts the suit at the bottom for standing values and slightly above average (because CTV is just plain terrible for dodging) for sprinting. That's without bulletproof.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 7, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Just stealthed Nightclub last night with a friend on Deathwish.

And by stealth I mean we put down ECMs and murdered everything with eyes to witness crime and voices to speak of them.

We were trying to stealth it without anyone noticing or anyone dying, but as soon as the silent drill went up someone noticed us. Cue ECMs, nightclub massacre. There was an eerie silence afterwards, walking through shattered corpses, burning grenade craters, and awkwardly strewn guards. I think I made a hundred bucks total.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

And by stealth I mean we put down ECMs and murdered everything with eyes to witness crime and voices to speak of them.

We were trying to stealth it without anyone noticing or anyone dying, but as soon as the silent drill went up someone noticed us. Cue ECMs, nightclub massacre. There was an eerie silence afterwards, walking through shattered corpses, burning grenade craters, and awkwardly strewn guards. I think I made a hundred bucks total.

My favorite part of when this happens is Bain congratulating you on a good clean job afterwards. :allears:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scalding Coffee posted:

The thing is, Ghost players should make use of silent attacks when flanking cops and murder them before they notice you. Seeing as how my crew tend to be superforcers who stay in place, makes it easy to move around and kill cops who are busy with everyone else. You are not moving around enough and probably being as loud as possible, at a long distance, to have a change of style.

I've never tried the ghost thing for this reason - I prefer mowing down waves of cops from an entrenched position (aka behind the world's most bulletproof building column) to slinking around and needing 5-8 hits from a silenced weapon to kill an enemy. Most people know to flank a shield if the group doesn't have a sniper anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deathwish.

I think I made a hundred bucks total.

This should be an achievement. :unsmigghh:

Damegane
May 7, 2013

President Ark posted:

My favorite part of when this happens is Bain congratulating you on a good clean job afterwards. :allears:

Well, your hands ARE clean and free of blood. Free of yours anyways. :v:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering, since in every level 100 build we advise against taking Endurance aced because "someone else should have it", how many people currently actually have Endurance aced?

Perhaps the rule should be anyone with Fast Learner that isn't doing a Master/something build should ace Endurance along with acing Fast Learner.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

FAUXTON posted:

I've never tried the ghost thing for this reason - I prefer mowing down waves of cops from an entrenched position (aka behind the world's most bulletproof building column) to slinking around and needing 5-8 hits from a silenced weapon to kill an enemy. Most people know to flank a shield if the group doesn't have a sniper anyway.
Melee weapons are silent and effective.

Bootcha posted:

I'm wondering, since in every level 100 build we advise against taking Endurance aced because "someone else should have it", how many people currently actually have Endurance aced?

Perhaps the rule should be anyone with Fast Learner that isn't doing a Master/something build should ace Endurance along with acing Fast Learner.
ACE Endurance is really not that good. Sprinter provides a hidden endurance buff and Mastermind tiers buff it further. Basic is awesome enough.

The percent list on XP bonuses for holding off on doing heists are not entirely correct or a visual bug. I have been getting lots of numbers that do not the few positive percents like 43 and 50. I had a few 46% and 48%, a number of 30s.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Melee weapons are silent and effective.

This is very true, especially the new tomahawk. 40 damage on an uncharged swing is fantastic, and the reach is fairly silly. You don't need to be that close to people to kill them- test it sometime.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grenade stealth runs are the best stealth runs.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Scalding Coffee posted:

ACE Endurance is really not that good. Sprinter provides a hidden endurance buff and Mastermind tiers buff it further. Basic is awesome enough.

To be fair, I'm not sure when the +50% stamina is calculated.

Also, opinions for a sniper/loco build:

Version #1: http://goo.gl/C5pTs9
Version #2: http://goo.gl/cjOlMb
Version #3: http://goo.gl/HGvL87
Version #4: http://goo.gl/LAQarB

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 7, 2014

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Zaphod42 posted:

This should be an achievement. :unsmigghh:

I think buying "Bad Music" and minimizing civillians was the only thing that made it profitable.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Anyone still need doctor miserable? I want to break 500 kills on one day and I guess I might as well get some people one of the worst achievements while I'm at it. I'm probably going to bring along The Homosexual Agenda to guard my rear end (:pervert:) so I can take two more. I was going to run it this evening.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

-Zydeco- posted:

Anyone still need doctor miserable? I want to break 500 kills on one day and I guess I might as well get some people one of the worst achievements while I'm at it. I'm probably going to bring along The Homosexual Agenda to guard my rear end (:pervert:) so I can take two more. I was going to run it this evening.

I'm down for it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I've never run Big Oil, so can someone explain why that is so terrible/whatever?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The instructions are sometimes in a horrible place requiring a flashlight or just a bitch to find. Stealth automatically breaks when you bring a bag to the helicopter. Said bag requires bunnyhopping to move faster than a slug and only barely faster. There are many bags to look through if you are wrong.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

I've never run Big Oil, so can someone explain why that is so terrible/whatever?

It's the only mission I can think of where you need to be on the lookout for actual physical text on documents scattered about the mission house. Then if you don't get all that information, you've got a good chance of getting the wrong engine. Carrying those engines is really, really slow, and once you've delivered one you are going to be in a police assault.

Here's a link to the Payday wiki showing an example of one piece of information you need to keep an eye out for. Intel. Keep in mind you need to read this information yourself and apply it to the logic that determines the correct engine. It's not like one person can just pick it up and the game figures it out for you.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 7, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Psion posted:

Too many bad gimmicks, not enough thought put in to them to make them good, and at the end a stealth mission punishes you horribly for gearing down for stealth by forcing you to go loud despite everyone on the map being dead or tied up.

In short, between Big Oil and Framing Frame (post stealth revamp) The Elephant gives the worst missions on average of all the brokers, even when Election Day is factored in.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It's the only mission I can think of where you need to be on the lookout for actual physical text on documents scattered about the mission house. Then if you don't get all that information, you've got a good chance of getting the wrong engine. Carrying those engines is really, really slow, and once you've delivered one you are going to be in a police assault.

Also there is a chance that even with all of the information you have two engines that fit the criteria.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Psion posted:

It's been ages since I've attempted it, but I recall hating it because it just never loving ends. It's just waves and waves and waves and waves of dudes while one player is trying accomplish some piddly task, and then you get swamped and run out of ammo and die and wonder why you just wasted the last hour+ of your life.

Well that describes a bunch of Payday missions I guess, but Big Oil lacks the fun that some of the other big chaotic shitstorm missions have.

Oh wow ef;b

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 7, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Oh, and I guess to top it all off, it's always a pro job. Which means if you fail the incredibly finicky day 2, then get hosed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Psion posted:

It's not that bad, it just requires learning how the mission works, which a lot of people don't like doing. This learning process is made more frustrating by its status as a Pro only mission. The second day starts in stealth, but the stealth is very difficult/luck-based, and there's an inevitable loud part at the end. This makes the second day absolute hell on DW-I'd say it's the hardest mission to clear on that difficulty.

This page will do the engine determination for you. Open it in another window or in the shift+tab interface when Day 2 starts and things get a lot easier.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Psion posted:

Also, the doctor miserable achievement can take up to an hour of constant fighting to complete.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Also, here's a video that covers how to Big Oil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqPbMNwxx9w

I've only run it once and failed miserably, looking forward to trying it again now that I'm not a lvl 20 know-nothing. I imagine it's annoying as poo poo but it sounds fun to try and coordinate people finding things laying around and read it off to each other instead of the usual video gamey 'walk to the big glowing arrow'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Psion posted:

Imagine Rats, except if you gently caress up cooking the meth instead of getting to leave early you have to wait twice as long. And you have to keep doing it over and over until you get it right. And its way more complicated.

Its less bad if you use the app that was just linked, but it still doesn't make the mission all that much fun.

teh_Broseph posted:

I've only run it once and failed miserably, looking forward to trying it again now that I'm not a lvl 20 know-nothing. I imagine it's annoying as poo poo but it sounds fun to try and coordinate people finding things laying around and read it off to each other instead of the usual video gamey 'walk to the big glowing arrow'.

Have you done Rats? It gives you that kinda fun coordinating with people during hectic firefight thing, but without all the huge hassle.

I do like that overkill tried to give us a couple things harder than "grab the stuff" or "press the button", but ugh.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If there's still a spot I would like to try for Doctor Miserable.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bootcha posted:

To be fair, I'm not sure when the +50% stamina is calculated.

Also, opinions for a sniper/loco build:

Version #1: http://goo.gl/C5pTs9
Version #2: http://goo.gl/cjOlMb
Version #3: http://goo.gl/HGvL87
Version #4: http://goo.gl/LAQarB

As the pre eminent masterforcer here (:v:), I can confirm that I have aced endurance, and will continue to do so until I get seduced by techforcing (probably never, aced inspire is so goddamn good).

With regards to your build, a few suggestions:

Aced inside man, aced spotter are probably skills that only masterminds will have. Not too many people splash mastermind (unlike the ghost tree), so it's going to be rare that people will randomly have them.

Aced kilmer is super sweet, but probably a waste of skill points in a sniper build.

Aced oppressor is also overkill. You're weapons are going to draw a lot of fire from the police without a suppressor. The skill is counter productive or overkill (which leads me to...)

Basic Iron man. Absolutely a great skill to pick up, and you'd be foolish to not get it, if you're going to invest in the enforcer skill tree that heavily.

Technician tree: aced nerves of steel, and basic Sharpshooter (the left skill on the first tier) instead. The extra zoom is useless and being able to ADS in bleedout (especially with a sniper rifle) is I'd more marginal utility.

Ghost tree: for the love of God get aced fast hands and basic shinobi. Don't be a slug.

I'll get you a build when the skill planner site comes back up, or the next time we shoot cop.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Bootcha posted:

I'm down for it.

UnknownMercenary posted:

If there's still a spot I would like to try for Doctor Miserable.

I'll be running around 8 EST unless that won't work with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
If Big Oil's documents give me a choice of two engines, I will totally and unabashedly cheat because gently caress that. If that makes me a horrible person, I'm totally okay with it. :colbert:

• Locked thread