Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Watching the Making of Aliens 3 you end up developing sympathy for the film given how torturous the development of it was. It was going to be set on a wooden planet inhabited by monks before being converted into a desolate prison planet. The workprint isn't much better and only sort of gets by on account of having less plot holes than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure Fincher completely agrees with everyone who thinks Alien 3 is a total piece of garbage.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The thing that really sucks about Alien 3 is that it's awash in pseudo-religious imagery and but doesn't have a single speck of religion in it. It's still a very worthwhile film, but if Fincher was tasked with basically taking a an incomplete re-write of a script that included extensive religious imagery, but then had to make compromises based on the resources at his disposal, then he chose a lot of really boring, very much music video derived motifs to carry this: the barcode tattoos, Ripley having a tryst with a prisoner doctor, before he finally gets killed and the film finally ramps up.

The question becomes why the hell he didn't just make the prisoner doctor a prisoner priest. It seems overtly like a lot of people were cast for typological roles rather than as unique characters, so you get this unnecessary character Charles Dance who only gets unceremoniously killed off anyway - when the point has already been made redundantly that every person Ripley loves dies horribly - when he should have just been combined with the Dutton's character. By thinking in types first and plot mechanisms second, Fincher ended up neglecting a lot of the possibilities that could have made Alien 3 a really potent, psychosexual, oppressive horror film. Her having an even potentially romantic relationship with a murderer and rapist of women would have certainly hammered home the obvious Mother Mary imagery much better.

In a lot of ways, you could see the now frankly over-the-top quality of Seven (which is still loving great) as recompense for the lack of refinement of his debut. His debut is still something that shouldn't be thrown away lightly, however. It shows some distinctly Terry Gilliam-esque influence that I think is sadly lacking from Fincher's current aesthetic.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I'd like to weigh in on this discussion, but all I can add is...

I still like Alien: Resurrection. Well, the first 90% of it, anyway.

Don't hate me for it.

And now: Phantoms! (Part 1 of several)

Trapped in a diving suit and my wife has fainted! Send help!

He hears the Muzak of the Night, I assume?

The Luchadore of the Opera!

Seen it recently. The poster only HINTS at the madness within.

Ook.

"Vot the hell is THAT zing?"

That thing will NEVER be able to close it's mouth properly.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Since we just spent a while talking about Gone Girl

http://movietrailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/gonegirl/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Damnit Fincher movies have the best trailers.

The Trent Reznor music helps.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That looks so good, goddamn.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Nothing quite like a movie poster that tells you exactly what the film's about.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
But what's it about?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm pretty sure Fincher completely agrees with everyone who thinks Alien 3 is a total piece of garbage.

Wouldn't you hate something you made if you were put into the worst possible filmmaking position ever?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darthemed posted:

Does the movie explain the physics of how that woman in yellow is just now flying out of the front windshield even though it looks like the car is facing upwards. If it landed like that she shouldve just hit the roof. :colbert:

Also I like the cop on the right pointing his pistol at the 50 car pileup happening in progress.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Finally a Crash movie I would enjoy watching.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

kiimo posted:

Finally a Crash movie I would enjoy watching.

:vince:

Have you tried this one?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dick Trauma posted:

:vince:

Have you tried this one?

Depends on how you define "enjoy." I've seen a lot of Cronenberg films and Crash makes me the most uncomfortable.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cacator posted:

Depends on how you define "enjoy." I've seen a lot of Cronenberg films and Crash makes me the most uncomfortable.

Really?

Not, I dunno, Dead Ringers?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

K. Waste posted:

Really?

Not, I dunno, Dead Ringers?

Oh yeah. Dead Ringers too. But Dead Ringers is a better movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cacator posted:

What, you didn't get super hard in the scene where Spader fucks Arquette in the leg wound?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The entire sequence of the recreation of James Dean's death was simply one of the most spectacular things I think I've seen in a film.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Phantoms, Part 2.

5,000 cast members left of poster due to space concerns.

Phantom of the Derps

A Nightmare on Elm Street XVIIII: Freddy's Halloween Costume

SEE! The most confused mutant Moomin of all time!

Floating Head Poster, circa 1945

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

There are some roles you're just never going to get away from.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I missed Aliens chat, but Resurrection is a pretty fun movie about 90's comic book space pirates getting stranded on a ship during an alien invasion if you completely divorce it from the trilogy. This is also how to enjoy Prometheus as a one-off slasher film where the axe murderer just happens to be an alien god and the dumb teens are a team of scientists.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
N'aw, Resurrection is bad no matter how you approach it because it tries to do like a dozen contradictory things and does them all badly. Jeunet tries to make a quirky and delightful slasher horror film and while I'm open to the idea of that working, Alien Resurrection is not a movie where that is working. It's a movie that makes me sad while I'm watching it.

Also Prometheus is pretty rad in general (please no one start an argument about how Prometheus is not rad because I assure you I've heard your arguments and I don't give a poo poo)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus has a lot of rad things, and a lot of not so rad things. It's a movie I don't hate, but don't love. But I'd take it any day over any the AvP movies. (despite being named after one of the predators from those movies)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Also Prometheus is pretty rad in general (please no one start an argument about how Prometheus is not rad because I assure you I've heard your arguments and I don't give a poo poo)

Then why say anything on it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Then why say anything on it?

Because it's a rad movie. Weren't you paying attention?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That part where the alien gets sucked into the vacuum of space is pretty dope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will give Alien Res credit for being the first Alien movie I ever saw in theaters. I was about 6 when I saw it. I was already a huge, huge Alien fan by that point. I loved the movie until the Newborn showed up. That poo poo scared me for so long.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
First one I saw was Alien 3 in a double feature with Point Break.
I had a radical and confusing childhood.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, that sounds like a good childhood.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

That part where the alien gets sucked into the vacuum of space is pretty dope.

I felt bad for it :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cacator posted:

I felt bad for it :(

But he killed Ding Chavez! (I like Alien4 more than 3.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

axleblaze posted:

Because it's a rad movie. Weren't you paying attention?

It is rad. It's the raddest movie Ridley Scott has done in long long time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alien Resurrection becomes a lot weirder when you realize that the pirates are just the characters from Firefly with different names.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Alien Resurrection was the movie that made me realize that a great franchise can have terrible entries.

It also made me realize that I dislike quip-focused writing.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Alien Resurrection made me realize I don't give a poo poo about alien movies unless they have a giant crying baby alien that sucks Leland Orser's brains out.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Resurrection was the movie that made me realize that Brad Dourif should be in everything.

It's also when I pieced together that he voices Chucky.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, but the part I'm talking about is almost none of that. I mean the stuff about aliens/angels? coming to Earth and taking over dead bodies to judge us based on how many times we as a species push the button for personal gain.

Thank you for reminding me how much this movie sucked

Slasherfan posted:

I've never seen them advertising the amount of views a trailer got before.

But not as much as this movie. This is literally insufferable.

Erebus posted:

There are some roles you're just never going to get away from.

Dude is actually reasonably familiar with Shakespeare to be fair, being a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company and all. I wonder if he kind of resents Fresh Prince in a way for that.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If he didn't feel good about his role on the Fresh Prince I doubt he would have had two stints on soap operas. I'm guessing the steady paycheck and residuals from a television show make a nice side gig for a theater actor.

He also got to play a witty & snarky British butler for more than half a decade. You could do worse when it comes to iconic roles.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Mierenneuker posted:

If he didn't feel good about his role on the Fresh Prince I doubt he would have had two stints on soap operas. I'm guessing the steady paycheck and residuals from a television show make a nice side gig for a theater actor.

He also got to play a witty & snarky British butler for more than half a decade. You could do worse when it comes to iconic roles.

Oh yeah, not saying he hated the role, just how it might be sticking to him. Kinda like how Alec Guinness hated that Obi-Wan turned out to be what he was best known for (though Guinness actually did hate playing Obi-Want so maybe not the best comparison)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Here's posters for Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings starring Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton as Moses and Ramses, respectively:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 8, 2014