Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rewatching Sin City recently I finally realized that Dwight has to be rescued like 3 times by Miho.

Miho is the hero and Dwight the sidekick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
WWZ is only a good movie if you imagine Brad Pitt's character as Death. Every single time he goes somewhere or does something, someone dies.

It's actually quite amazing how lethal he is in the movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree. Pretty much the only major safe haven in an entire country is totally compromised just because he happened to be there!

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

50 Foot Ant posted:

Return of the King: Oh, God, the Hobbits Jump on the Bed Orgy scene was just terrible. I saw it opening night, and holy poo poo, that scene just went on and on and on and on. It was loving terrible.

Any military movie: There's always "That Guy" who screams "I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS!" when the combat begins. YES YOU loving DID YOU GODDAMN RETARD!

Movies like "The Crazies" where the people we're supposed to be rooting for are actually the bad guys, and the bad guys are the military that should be the good guys. "Outbreak" had this problem to some extant too. What's that, you have some disease that turns everyone into liquid poo poo and is virulently communicable with multiple vectors and the military is trying to kill you? THEN loving DIE! I don't want your infected rear end living and killing thousands/millions more. I don't care about you that much. As soon as it's a deadly disease, if the protagonist gets the disease, I want to see the Army flamethrower them down.

Any time some 'expert' opens his mouth on nuclear weapons. "IT'S A THIRTY THOUSAND MEGATON BOMB!" No. No it's not. And it isn't going to fit into a loving suitcase.

I've said it before (maybe even in this thread) but NERVE GAS DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! Most of the good/deadly ones are skin permeable. That scene in Twenty-Eight Weeks Later where they use cloth and the air conditioner? No. If that was VX, you were dead already. Oh, and loving 28 Weeks Later... did the ragers reach through loving armored vehicles to grab people? Why does napalm just make little lines that you can hide in a doorway to avoid? Do those loving kids have GPS jammed in their rear end? WHY ARE YOU KISSING HER YOU RETARD? Oh, God, that loving movie.

I'll sit through stupid action movies. Battleship? Break out the pot! Transformers! Well, ignoring the cannibal onscreen, I'm down with this. Pacific Rim? MORE MONSTER ROBOT FIGHTS!

But holy poo poo, stop cramming love interests in constantly. When you expect me to pay to watch giant robots fighting, I couldn't give a poo poo less about the non-robots.

The end of the Hills Have Eyes 2 (remake, 2000's) is that the protagonists are labeled as having deserted. That's not how you do a loving coverup. You label that poo poo as 'training accident' and their bodies as unrecoverable/closed casket, pay out the life insurance, and call it a day. Not this "The military claims they deserted" bullshit.

Giving monsters motives. Rob Zombie, you suck, stop making movies. Halloween was completely destroyed by this rear end clown. White trash people aren't loving scary, they never were, they never will be, no matter how much they bullied that idiot. Michael Meyers was scary because there was no loving reason for him to kill his sister. Stable middle class family, no indicators, no nothing, then BOOM! Eternal evil that will not die. But no... Rob "I SUCK" Zombie makes him white trash and tries to explore the motives of a soulless mystical Samhein killing machine. Oh, and his bullshit of making every single loving female character crawl. Take your kinks somewhere else. And stop making movies.

Military Movies: Stop having those assholes running around like goddamn retards. I know people bust on Battlefield: LA all the time, but holy poo poo, at least they worked together like real soldiers, instead of running around like retards. They kept to cover, and worked together. Unlike every other loving movie, where as soon as contact is made they all start doing stupid poo poo. It had its problems, but at least I didn't want to scream "STAY IN COVER RETARD!"

Oh, speaking of Battlefield: LA: One of my pet peeves is people who are functionally retarded commenting on poo poo. There was complaints about the aliens being all hardwired up. This was a locust species, advanced technology. What makes anyone think t hat the ground troops did anything but get grown in a pod, kept in stasis, and used when it was time to ground combat? For gently caress's sake, they were talking about how the alien ground troops were artificial biomechanical systems, I doubt they sit down and eat with their family. But no, people were all like "LOL HOW DO THEY EAT?" Well, my functionally brain damaged friend, THEY DON'T! So shut the gently caress up!

Later George Romero movies. Holy poo poo, we get it. All soldiers are scumbags. Thanks for playing, George.

Cops in the old 80's monster movies: "Yeah, we know we have this unstoppable killing machine living out by Camp Crystal Lake, but we don't believe you that some hockey mask freak ripped your friends from limb to limb. I know it gets panned a lot, but Jason Goes to Hell had the best response I've ever seen to something like Jason Vorhees: Fully automatic high caliber weapons fire and mortar fire and don't stop till he's in goddamn pieces.

And like others have said: Turning your back on the villain. Tommy Jarvis got it right. Hack on that motherfucker till you drop in exhaustion and he's in enough parts to make a loving jigsaw puzzle.

Movies like Avatar. Jake Sully hosed up all kinds of poo poo, and only is going to ensure that the blue hippies are ruthlessly exterminated by a space-faring civilization capable of carpet bombing that planet till it's a goddamn smouldering crater.

Which leads to: Not solving the loving problem. Jake Sully just ensured the extinction of the Navi or whatever the gently caress those blue people were called. The Crazies, where the 'heroes' manage to finally reach another city, almost guaranteeing that the US Government is just going to say 'gently caress this' and nuke/FAB the whole loving thing because of those two idiots. Yeah, we get it, you want to live, but life ain't fair, you got SuperAidsEbolaSmallpox and frankly I can't wait for them to put a bullet in your goddamn skull and burn you to ash.

And finally: Remaking poo poo just to cash in or impose a director's vision on it. Take Halloween, Rob Zombie took a big giant poo poo over the whole thing and just made it into a generic white trash killer who seems to be bulletproof like every other big bag antagonist. Evil Dead, where they totally hosed up the whole thing. The Evil Dead remake was boring, stupid, and wasn't even scary. The new Nightmare on Elm Street was boring as poo poo. We knew how it was going to go, so let's get to Freddy killing motherfuckers already. Weirdly, I like the new Friday the 13th, but again, it had the mistake that the movie irrevocably snuffs out the antagonist as if to say "See, my characters win! I AM BETTER!" which is just annoying. Oh, and inserting poo poo into remasterings. I'm not talking about Lucas only. Case in point: I used to own an old VHS rip of Nausica, Valley of the Winds (I think that was the name) and I got it on Blu-Ray not too long ago. There were the dumbest loving dialogue changes that just pissed me off.

But, gently caress it, I watch movies to be entertained for a little while. Whether it's cool robots working with a cannibal who isn't believable as a human being or an undead killing machine doing God's work by killing teenagers or Arnold throwing a steam pipe through a guy.

But seriously, Rob Zombie, you suck.

If you could choose any director to adapt one of your novels, who would it be?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

KoB posted:

The book didnt have a cure at all, right? I think its much more interesting that there wasnt a cure or magic way out. It was just a thing they had to deal with from now on.

Yup, no cure. Humanity basically became vampires (daylight was bad and stuff) but didn't actually need to feed on humans if I recall correctly, at least not after a while. The protagonist was one of the last old humans alive spending his nights holed up in his fortress and his days going around killing the zombies/vampires while they were sleeping. In the end he's captured through a ruse and it's revealed that the new generation of humanity have had things pretty well back to normal for a while now, all things considered, which he didn't know because when they were awake, at night, he was hidden and scared shitless because they were trying to get to him in his fortress. You know, because he was killing them indiscriminately when they were vulnerable, women and children and everyone. Like the mythical vampires of old, except in reverse. They put him to trial and execute him, I think, and the legendary monster that stalked through the daytime and killed them was finally dealt with.

Hence the title: I am Legend.

Now compare that to the bullshit movie that, as usual, end with a safe haven and a cure gotten from a sample of the savior who was somehow genetically immune or some poo poo. gently caress that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Taeke posted:

Now compare that to the bullshit movie that, as usual, end with a safe haven and a cure gotten from a sample of the savior who was somehow genetically immune or some poo poo. gently caress that.

Don't forget that the cure was brought to the safe haven by a crazy lady who thought god talked to her.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The sad thing is, even the alternate ending is bullshit.

Waste of a good novel.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

drat, I had forgotten about that. Again, say what you will about World War Z, but at least zombies ignoring ill people and the 'cure' being giving everyone an incurable but not actually lethal disease is more original and better than the standard poo poo you see all over.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Celery Face posted:

It also kinda weirded me out how all the female characters were strippers, hookers or just walked around in their underwear. The one exception doesn't even speak, you only learn about her through slightly creepy monologues about "sweet little deadly Miho."

Well, Frank Miller's kind of a creep.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Celery Face posted:

It also kinda weirded me out how all the female characters were strippers, hookers or just walked around in their underwear. The one exception doesn't even speak, you only learn about her through slightly creepy monologues about "sweet little deadly Miho."

To be fair to a guy who really doesn't deserve it:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well, Frank Miller's kind of a creep.

Noir-ish stuff really isn't what you would consider a bastion of progressive thought.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Taeke posted:

drat, I had forgotten about that. Again, say what you will about World War Z, but at least zombies ignoring ill people and the 'cure' being giving everyone an incurable but not actually lethal disease is more original and better than the standard poo poo you see all over.

Haha, loving nope. It was way, way loving worse than the smaltziest "I found a safe haven and true luv and it turns out my dog Sprky lived and he's here in our rugged Utopia" because while that ending is just overly sweet, Lindelof is just insulting stupid.

The reasoning behind them ignoring sick people doesn't stand up to more than half a second of scrutiny; what does it matter if someone has terminal leukemia when their throat gets ripped out and they rise as a walking corpse? Throat-ripping or [insert fatal disease] ends up with the same reanimated corpse.

Then on top of that they have to be granted a super sweet Detect Fatal Sickness template bonus on top of that within like a 50 foot cone so they aren't attacking the wrong sort of people.

I mean reanimatecd corpses that require headshots is one thing, but once they get super-sickness detecting powers that make no sense they might as well fly and breath fire, right?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Frostwerks posted:

To be fair to a guy who really doesn't deserve it:

Noir-ish stuff really isn't what you would consider a bastion of progressive thought.

Even so

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LeJackal posted:

The reasoning behind them ignoring sick people doesn't stand up to more than half a second of scrutiny
You say this like as though zombies make any kind of sense to begin with. This is why I hate "realistic" zombies. They're not realistic. At all. Saying it's a virus instead of magic makes it less believable, not more, because we know about viruses and they absolutely can't do that. Magic can do anything.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Taeke posted:

:words:

I Am Legend

That wasn't the movie they were discussing, unless I somehow missed it in there. They're discussing World War Z.

However - In the book, they used reconstituted blood and something else to abate the need to feed. And some percentage of the 'turned' were saved by a mutation of the virus that left them in control of their minds despite being 'dead'. So the protagonist, who had been going around murdering people who actually weren't mindless killers realized that, in this new society, he was the monster that would haunt their legends into the future, the same way the vampires had haunted non-vampire people due to outbreaks in the past.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Tiggum posted:

You say this like as though zombies make any kind of sense to begin with. This is why I hate "realistic" zombies. They're not realistic. At all. Saying it's a virus instead of magic makes it less believable, not more, because we know about viruses and they absolutely can't do that. Magic can do anything.

So much of this. With D&D zombies, they explain it. Wizard takes corpse, uses a magic spell, corpse is reanimated into a zombie. When wizard dies, the magic animating the zombie goes with them. And zombie dies. If you catch a disease from a zombie, its because they are rotting. None of this virus bullshit that makes them ~~immune~~ to bacteria. Or coyotes.

Plus, "A wizard did it" makes a ton more sense. Wizards are assholes, of course they'd make zombies.

(Can we have a zombie movie where a wizard did it?)

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Nope, because people are picky about what causes their magic running corpses.

My major issue with World War Z was why these clearly well-organized military states cropping up around the globe never tried to reclaim any territory. There's only so many people in Isreal and it's mostly low-density outside the urban zones. With a large portion of the population clearly inside the walled off city, there couldn't be so many zombies in the surrounding region that simply killing them all with that fleet of copters wouldn't be viable.

And a hell of a lot safer than keeping everyone locked in a high-density, no-escape zone, just waiting for one idiot with a bite to get inside.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Plus as much as people bitch and moan about the movie not being true to the source material the book had poo poo way more goofy that that. Like zombies walking around on the bottom of the ocean indefinitely, zombies freezing solid during the winter and then thawing out in the spring no worse for wear, zombies with their lungs turned inside-out from the force of explosions and still trucking along, all the while insisting that this was because of a viral infection and totally plausible...yet something actually new and original like the disease thing in the movie is just too much to handle.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Zombies that just keep attacking people no matter what are scary. Zombies that leave you alone if you have the sniffles are lame.

Best part of WWZ is that scientist they bring with them that can't stop making noise and alerting zombies. He drops or bumps into shot like 5 times in a row.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ThirdEmperor posted:

My major issue with World War Z was why these clearly well-organized military states cropping up around the globe never tried to reclaim any territory. There's only so many people in Isreal and it's mostly low-density outside the urban zones. With a large portion of the population clearly inside the walled off city, there couldn't be so many zombies in the surrounding region that simply killing them all with that fleet of copters wouldn't be viable.

And a hell of a lot safer than keeping everyone locked in a high-density, no-escape zone, just waiting for one idiot with a bite to get inside.
North Korea pulled out every single person's teeth and was fine in the end, I think.

I haven't read the book in ages, but as I remember it, it was cool because it was a lot of shorter stories from various places, instead of a single character's arc. It was far from high literature, but the movie was completely different and explicitly contradicted a huge amount of stuff from the book. Really the only similarity between the book and the movie is that there are zombies, and a lot of them. It's honestly kind of weird that they named it after the book and made it seem like a film adaptation when it really wasn't at all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThirdEmperor posted:

Sounds like some kind of hamfisted analogy.

I haven't seen it though and it looks like I probably never will.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The one part of Sin City that always annoys me a lil when I run through it is Little Kid Nancy's tearful thankful dialogue with Hartigan when he's in the hospital. "Still a virgin, thanks to you!" what kind of little kid says that, it's just stilted awkward dumb Frank Miller talk. :v:
An irritating Sin City thing that (probably) isn't Frank Miller's fault: the soundtrack suddenly becomes very jarringly obvious during the third episode, with loads of stings and phrases far too dynamic for what's actually on screen, particularly compared to similarly or more action-packed scenes from earlier. It's like they brought in Danny Elfman for that bit.

Just looked it up and I thought Robert Rodriguez had scored the entire film, but it turns out that Yellow Bastard was the only sequence he did. :ms: Dude should probably stick to directing or at least coordinate with his co-composers.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Years ago there was supposed to be a leaked script that had everyone raving about how great WWZ was going to be. Was that the Russia ending or something else?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Years ago there was supposed to be a leaked script that had everyone raving about how great WWZ was going to be. Was that the Russia ending or something else?
What I've heard about the Russia ending sounds terrible. More terrible than the ending WWZ did have.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

A full script was written by Ike guy. It got leaked and looked awesome.

Some weird poo poo happened with the rights, and suddenly a new script was written by another guy in conjunction with a new studio or something. The new script absolutely sucked rear end and is the one that got made.

At least that's my memory of the development cycle.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What was in the first one? can you read it or a summary anywhere?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CJacobs posted:

I agree. Pretty much the only major safe haven in an entire country is totally compromised just because he happened to be there!

The real lesson behind World War Z is that Brad Pitt is bad luck. Goes to Israel, zombies create a meat ladder to climb over the wall; does a stealth mission with some soldiers, wife calls him just as they're about to sneak past; evacs on a plane, zombies magically teleport into the bathroom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elysiume posted:

What I've heard about the Russia ending sounds terrible. More terrible than the ending WWZ did have.

The main issue I've heard about the Russia ending was that it wasn't really an ending. Quick breakdown for those who haven't read about it:

Movie is mostly the same (leaving out the scenes of people not getting attacked) up until the plane. Instead of going to England the plane heads toward Russia, when they get there Brad Pitt is conscripted into a Russian militia that is tasked with killing zombies. Skip ahead an indeterminate amount of time. The family is now living in a refugee camp in Florida with the wife in a relationship with Matthew Fox (who you see in the released film for all of 30 seconds.) Back to Russia where Pitt is still killing zombies (this is where the city fighting scenes from the end of the movie happen) and he ends up noticing that zombies start slowing down because of the cold weather. Pitt and the Jewish soldier lady from earlier end up fleeing across Russia, getting to a boat that will take them to America. They land in Oregon and THE END.

Somebody actually thought that ending it on a cliffhanger where the zombies are all still around and Pitt doesn't get back to his family was a good idea. This wasn't just a script either, they actually filmed all that stuff before Damon Lindelof, who they brought in after terrible test screenings, watched the original version and told them it sucked.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The problem isn't 'realism' its internal logical consistency. The central conceit of 'it needs a healthy host to spread' falls apart when Sal, the 10-pack a day smoker who can't climb a flight of stairs, gets his throat ripped out and then his undead corpse starts doing parkour at the Olympic level. It obviously doesn't need a 'healthy' host because the zombie effect turns every corpse into a super-athlete regardless of 'health' while alive. (Did I mention that I hate 'fast' zombies?)

Once the premise falls apart, we have to ask ourselves "If the health of the victim is obviously immaterial, why would the zombies avoid the terminally ill?" The answer, of course, is because Lindelof is a hack and wanted a lazy way to provide for a cheap way out for the hero and ham-fisted 'drama' with 'hard choices' that only arise with the most ham-fisted contrivances a script-writer can produce.

muscles like this? posted:

Somebody actually thought that ending it on a cliffhanger where the zombies are all still around and Pitt doesn't get back to his family was a good idea. This wasn't just a script either, they actually filmed all that stuff before Damon Lindelof, who they brought in after terrible test screenings, watched the original version and told them it sucked.

The real mistake was letting Lindelof do re-writes for them. The man should be barred from writing, as he has some kind of reverse Midas touch where everything he touches turns into an illogical mess where nothing connects with anything else.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

The problem isn't 'realism' its internal logical consistency. The central conceit of 'it needs a healthy host to spread' falls apart when Sal, the 10-pack a day smoker who can't climb a flight of stairs, gets his throat ripped out and then his undead corpse starts doing parkour at the Olympic level. It obviously doesn't need a 'healthy' host because the zombie effect turns every corpse into a super-athlete regardless of 'health' while alive. (Did I mention that I hate 'fast' zombies?)

Once the premise falls apart, we have to ask ourselves "If the health of the victim is obviously immaterial, why would the zombies avoid the terminally ill?" The answer, of course, is because Lindelof is a hack and wanted a lazy way to provide for a cheap way out for the hero and ham-fisted 'drama' with 'hard choices' that only arise with the most ham-fisted contrivances a script-writer can produce.

Why is it that the people who whine about "plot holes" are always the ones who fail to understand the most basic plot points that are explained to the audience directly in the movie?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Why is it that the people who whine about "plot holes" are always the ones who fail to understand the most basic plot points that are explained to the audience directly in the movie?

I know that characters in the movie say it, but what happens on-screen contradicts what they say. Obviously the characters are written to be mistaken in that instance or its just a bad script. (Its the latter.)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Plus as much as people bitch and moan about the movie not being true to the source material the book had poo poo way more goofy that that. Like zombies walking around on the bottom of the ocean indefinitely, zombies freezing solid during the winter and then thawing out in the spring no worse for wear, zombies with their lungs turned inside-out from the force of explosions and still trucking along, all the while insisting that this was because of a viral infection and totally plausible...yet something actually new and original like the disease thing in the movie is just too much to handle.

Yeah, there were a few things there that made no sense because the book makes it clear they are just reanimated human bodies and get weaker over time due to just using their muscles. Then he takes "the virus keeps bacteria from eating them" to mean that literally no normal decomposition happens. Seems like he should know that freezing a human body means that when it thaws it literally falls apart since the cells burst, and that not even a zombie would be able to function at the bottom of the ocean. The main narrative did not even need them to have these powers since the threat of new outbreaks will be ever present regardless since there has to be a natural reservoir.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Seems like he should know that freezing a human body means that when it thaws it literally falls apart since the cells burst

I haven't read the book since middle school almost 10 years ago so I may be remembering wrong but I recall him addressing this. And by "address it" I mean he just kinda says "Normally being thawed destroys the body's cells, but for some mysterious reason we don't understand it doesn't happen to zombies v:shobon:v" and moves on.

KoB
May 1, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I haven't read the book since middle school almost 10 years ago so I may be remembering wrong but I recall him addressing this. And by "address it" I mean he just kinda says "Normally being thawed destroys the body's cells, but for some mysterious reason we don't understand it doesn't happen to zombies v:shobon:v" and moves on.

Its the same with the ocean zombies, the book admits that it doesnt make sense but just handwaves it as crazy zombie poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad this thread is helping me reinforce my belief that zombie media is goddamn awful. Like sure, zombies are fine I guess, but when you try to justify it with real life poo poo only to half-rear end it and go "IT'S BECAUSE OF THIS AND THIS and who really knows in the end I guess THAT THE ZOMBIES ARE ABLE TO FUNCTION" it all falls apart immediately.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
It's important to remember that WWZ the book had literally zero reliable information sources, since it was told as a series of interviews. The only things you can take for a certainty are things that every character agrees on: things went to hell, the dead rose, things are maybe getting better. Everything else might be someone lying or just wrong.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Silly Newbie posted:

It's important to remember that WWZ the book had literally zero reliable information sources, since it was told as a series of interviews. The only things you can take for a certainty are things that every character agrees on: things went to hell, the dead rose, things are maybe getting better. Everything else might be someone lying or just wrong.

That's a lame excuse though.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That's a lame excuse though.

It's not an excuse. It is the book he wrote.
If you want a pseudoscience treatise then read his other book: The Zombie Survival Guide.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I have read both. Unreliable narrators only make so much sense when the setting is one where literally everyone would have first hand experience with zombies and their behavior would be extremely well known.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I have read both. Unreliable narrators only make so much sense when the setting is one where literally everyone would have first hand experience with zombies and their behavior would be extremely well known.

Sure, their behavior is known. The eat dudes and fall down if you gently caress up the CNS. What's not well known, wouldn't be known to the average person, and likely can't be known due to the breakdown of society, are the specifics about what makes a zombie zomb, chemically and physiologically. When people encounter something about which little is known, or they aren't prepared emotionally or educationally to comprehend what's known, they make poo poo up that sounds good and makes them feel better, like in the whole vaccines autism thing. I thought it worked pretty well in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The interviewer sees a frozen zombie for himself so it's not an unreliable thing.

I really wish the weirder stuff got into the movie, like every boat in the world floating in ocean communities, or the guy watching from the international space station.