Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
How could we not trust the mighty imagination of Chewbot?? NINJAEDIT: Or, indeed, of Speedball, who so clearly surpasses him in a myriad of dazzling ways? :smithicide:

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ghostwoods posted:

How could we not trust the mighty imagination of Chewbot??

Chewbot?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Get people to vote, then decide on the thing all by yourself anyway, it is the tropican way.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dad posted:

Chewbot?

NYARGHL.

Speedball, obviously. *beats self with sticks*. I was just thinking about great archived LPs for the "New 'What LP?' thread" discussion, and Animal Crossing got lodged in my head.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

How could any loyal citizen of Tropic doubt the divine inspiration behind El Presidente's leadership. Truly La Presidente needs no advisors to tell her how she grew up!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jesus, how long before the Swiss Bank Account actually comes in? :stare: I can't believe I actually caught up with this LP and it still hasn't happened!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Jesus, how long before the Swiss Bank Account actually comes in? :stare: I can't believe I actually caught up with this LP and it still hasn't happened!

The Swiss Bank Account has absolutely no gameplay effect other than end-of-mission score. Until Modern Times comes in. In the original Tropico it was justified as you literally saving up for your retirement once you hit the maximum number of years in power.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
I love the improbable explanations every mission! If we came to a vote, the Loyalists would only agree with you anyway.

edit: oh god was that a five-day old post i feel really embarrassed for some reason

Arquebus fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 21, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Don't panic my friend! El Presidente, will, I am sure, forgive you! He may take your life, your freedom, your family and your health, but she will never remove your ability to see the glorious presence of El Presidente!

(For what it's worth, Speedball has been focusing on his Civ 5 LP, which you should read even if you already have. He's said he's coming back to this one, and I trust him.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Update 14-1: To Bait Fish Withal

Uh-oh! Looks like we’re being BLACKMAILED! Scandal!

To defeat the Generalissimo, we must look the part of a general ourselves! Haha! Yes, with DLC even female Presidentes can look the part of a soldier!

If we’re being blackmailed, that means we need black gold to pay off the black-hearted Santana! Fortunately, La Presidente has experience in this as well. She picked up a few tricks during her stint with a guy named “Rico” who parachuted all over oil-laded tropical archipelagos. Of course, blowing the crap out of enemy oil derrecks was really bad for the environment…

At this point, we aren’t even keeping track of which political party we belong to. Whoever has the largest voting bloc will suddenly find us as its party runner, and today, on this island, it’s the Communists!

Remember how I said La Presidente was a killing machine? LA PRESIDENTE IS A KILLING MACHINE! Any goddamn rebels who dare to oppose us now will suffer the wrath of our hand cannon!

In addition to the basic training, our Bold Leader helped train the deadly and amazing secret agent Colubra, and taught her everything she needed to know to survive in the wild. La Presidente developed a unique martial art style for fighting with your bare hands and can dismantle a gun in seconds!

As we have previously established, MANY TIMES, we are a Witch Doctor who can brew many bizarre potions. All of them began as failed hair-care products, for some reason…

So let’s begin!

Gasp! I didn’t even know we had a twin brother! …though considering the new body, we’re not twins anymore, are we? Well, drat fool, I guess this means we need to go and build ourselves some tourism infrastructure to support the rollercoaster.

We’re back on the tiny three-tiered island with some grassy areas and some ores on the second tier. There’s oil deposits in the sea and the third tier, so as soon as it is affordable to do so, we’re building a sea refinery to turn that into cash, as we have previously planned to do.

First, though, we build another tenement, a mine, a restaurant, a tourist dock and a hotel.

…YOU BASTARD! We are a prisoner in our own kingdom! How DARE YOU! We find ourselves in quite a pickle, don’t we, dear Tropicans?

At least somebody’s on my side. What a crazy world we live in, our own guards are our enemies, but the rebels are our friends!

Restaurant and Tenement built, now people can eat, have minor entertainment, and not live in their own filth!

Hotel and Tourist Dock built, and a church too! Now we need to wait for some more cash to roll in because we’ve kind of overspent.

I’m working on it, Rodriguez! Geez! Go practice more police brutality on your own time!

Haha! A light in the darkness! Well, we will need to work on this, Marco, but it’s nice to have goals!

Goal 1: Get Ministry so we can have an Internal Services minister to issue Secret Agents
Goal 2: Get some power and money to be able to build a rollercoaster for Santana’s bizarre revenge plot
Goal 3: Build some oil wells and make sure we have lots of educated ladies to staff ‘em!

A lot on our plate.

In parting: a shot of the Souvenir Shop!

Till next time, Tropicans!

Poll:

You forgive Presidente for being so late between updates, don’t you? Don’t you!?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 20, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

La Presidente has a busy schedule, and is saddened that it meant it took so long to talk to us again.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Of course! Who would dare-ah I mean- be so misguided as to do otherwise?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
There is nothing to forgive, because La Presidente never releases a late update. They come out exactly when she intends them to.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I have no idea what you're insinuating. It wasn't at all like La Presidente went anywhere, right?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

La Presidente always updates exactly when needed no more and no less. Such is the expression of her genius. Viva La Presidente.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
A REAL PRESIDENTE DOES NOT ASK FOR FORGIVENESS! AN IMPOSTER HAS TAKEN THE PLACE OF PRESIDENTE SPEEDBALL! Viva La Revolucion!

Maybe this is El Presidente's twin brother?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

La Presidente still has a twin brother. He's just not necessarily an identical twin at this point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
La Presidente's will is the will of the people. Thus, if La Presidente wishes forgiveness for anything... La Presidente must forgive herself, and the people will of course follow her enlightened lead.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I have it on good authority that La Presidente was merely examining the next iteration of the universe, to which she will relocate herself and all loyal Tropicans once her work in this universe is done. Sadly, Penultimo will have to remain behind to ensure that Tropico remains as La Presidente built it, but I understand that he had health issues preventing him from living in a time period before electricity and thus can't go with her anyway.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The trains always run on time when there is no timetable, as a wise man once said.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

La Presidente still has a twin brother. He's just not necessarily an identical twin at this point.
The twin also changes body and clothes to fit with la Presidente. Because of quantum.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 20, 2014

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Poil posted:

The twin also changes body and clothes to fit with la Presidente. Because of quantum.

How else could Generalissimo Santana have figured out La Presidente's clever plan?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The souvenir shop looks appropriately kitschy. Nicely done on that modeler.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

SporkChan posted:

How else could Generalissimo Santana have figured out La Presidente's clever plan?

He did not figure it out. La presidente is luring him into her trap you all will see.

Or are you implying La presidente could make a mistake?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Poil posted:

La Presidente's twin brother is whoever, or whatever, La Presidente wants him to be.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Speedball, I just wanted to say I binged this entire thread in, like, two sittings, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. I'm terrible at this sort of game, but I love backseat gaming them, so this is just fantastic.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Speedball, I just wanted to say I binged this entire thread in, like, two sittings, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment. I'm terrible at this sort of game, but I love backseat gaming them, so this is just fantastic.

Sure thing, I think I may alternate this thread and the other one I'm doing as my mood sees fit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bumping this thread to keep it alive and out of the glitchy archives (yes I will finish it eventually). Also, got my hands on Tropico 5.

Yeah, it's not a better game. More of a lateral move, if anything.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

Speedball posted:

Also, got my hands on Tropico 5.

Yeah, it's not a better game. More of a lateral move, if anything.

Which game should a Tropico newbie play first, if they wanted to ease into the series?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm really sad by the cast reduction - there's new characters, but the number of them is reduced, I feel like it doesn't have as much flavor as Tropico 4

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bluemage142 posted:

Which game should a Tropico newbie play first, if they wanted to ease into the series?

Both 3 and 4 are pretty solid. I'm not sure which is better, they both have their benefits.

Also the radio lady isn't as good as Penultimo or Juanito.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Tropico 4 is really just the Tropico 3 ease of life expansion. Its not a really much better game so much as it is a more improved, polished game. Theres no great g changes or anything, its just Tropico 3: pretty much better version. Dont bother with three, just get four or five. I havent played five yet myself, but i heard it was more of a sequel than 4 was, so id grab 4 first. Theres a lot of DLC for 4. Most of it is just stuff to make life easier or provide some aesthetic poo poo, i think modern times is the only huge one, but you can hold off on buying it, because its got its own secondary campaign and im not sure if the new stuff integrates into the original campaign.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, 5 really is lateral rather than an upgrade. It's fun, some of the quality of life stuff is great, but the characters aren't as interesting and the music isn't as good. It's also a bit disjointed in terms of how raw materials and industries upgrade, with things like the basic farm you get right from the get-go only getting an upgrade at the very end of the game.

Personally I'd say start with 4, grab Modern Times when you can (it's a lot of fun), and some of the DLC buildings if you're interested.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

lot people seem to dislike Juanito, but I generally find his broadcasts endearing in the same way a dumb, but loyal puppy is - while Preultimo and Sunny (and Sunny and other characters) generally had good character comedy. Tropico 5 doesn't really have that.

In fact I almost never hear the radio in 5 as a mission will generally pop up and interrupt.

I generally think 5 had lost a lot of bite in it's humor - it had it in the colonial stage, but it drops off sharply.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
This is a really good LP, I am so glad it got bumped and I managed to notice it. Devoured the updates in one go and cackled madly at all the zaniness. I never made it past the faction war mission, so it's really neat to see what came out afterwards.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Soooo... Steam's weeklong sale has Tropico 4 + all DLC for $6.59 CAN until the 24th. This is barely a buck more than any of the DLC normally, and is only about a quarter of what the base game normally costs.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you like Speedball's LP of the game you should buy the package quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

Soooo... Steam's weeklong sale has Tropico 4 + all DLC for $6.59 CAN until the 24th. This is barely a buck more than any of the DLC normally, and is only about a quarter of what the base game normally costs.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you like Speedball's LP of the game you should buy the package quick.

You should probably get it, it's a good deal.

• Locked thread