Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I played a Monk in a 4th Edition campaign run by Poorweather, he once stopped a sea monster from chasing our ship by kicking an iceberg at it. Like an entire one.

Point is; Monks are anime as gently caress regardless of what version/game you're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

They didn't cut it, they just gave it to wizards.

Actually Wizards don't have it. The ablity most people mistook for it is just useless for the Wizards in the playtest.

Anyway While I won't say that Fighters are as good as Casters in 5e. They are much more useful and needed to protect the Wizards and poo poo from being grounded into paste. Wizards are weaker and have much less options in 5e and they do less single target damage then a fighter or rogue unless they burn their very few spell slots.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 6, 2014

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually Wizards don't have it. The ablity most people mistook for it is just useless for the Wizards in the playtest.

Having looked it up, it's obviously an issue where wires got crossed. Page 31, Evokers get an ability on level six called Potent Cantrip that allows them to do half damage on a save. The problem is that damaging cantrips seem to be based on a ranged attack roll, not a save. It's either a throwback to earlier playtests, when cantrips were Damage On a Save (which is a miss, darn it) and they simply haven't substituted it for something else, or it's meant to be damage-on-a-miss period.

Rules As Written, though, it's completely useless. Go Wizards!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In a good system, weapons would be entirely made or break by the crafting system which would be the fighters specialty, but the problem is that D&D has always been about magic being really powerful poo poo, with everything else burrowing from them to catch up.

I thought most people were just kinda jiving with it by now.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anyway While I won't say that Fighters are as good as Casters in 5e. They are much more useful and needed to protect the Wizards and poo poo from being grounded into paste. Wizards are weaker and have much less options in 5e and they do less single target damage then a fighter or rogue unless they burn their very few spell slots.

Well, except the only option a fighter has to protect an ally is to take the Protection fighting style, which requires you to be right next to the person you want to protect (and which you can only do once per turn). And of course taking the Protection fighting style means you can't take any of the other fighting styles. So yeah, fighters can't really even protect the wizard.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I guess this is why i play a barbarian. (But i play pathfinder, i vastly prefer it to the more recent iterations of D&D). at least for me, protecting the casters involves just being tremendously fast, and closing the distance to get up in the enemy's faces. And as a pure melee class, i've been able to easily keep up with the damage output of the spellcasters, it's truly a sight to behold when the dice are singing.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Even though They're Optional™, there is a feat that gives you some 4e fighter features, like stopping people who you hit on opportunity attacks and such. So if that's still in, AND YOUR DM ALLOWS FEATS (weird), you can actually do some defendery things.

At least in the playtest we've been using, there's a feat that does it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Drakkel posted:

I played a Monk in a 4th Edition campaign run by Poorweather, he once stopped a sea monster from chasing our ship by kicking an iceberg at it. Like an entire one.

Point is; Monks are anime as gently caress regardless of what version/game you're playing.

Either anime as gently caress or professional wrestlers.

or both

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

SirSamVimes posted:

Either anime as gently caress or professional wrestlers.

or both

On that light I'm utterly shocked Wolfshirt hasn't managed to sneak an Ultimate MUSCLE reference into this thread yet.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The only viable way to play a 3.5 Monk is to also take a Vow of Poverty, but at that point you can play any other class that doesn't rely heavily on equipment (like say a sorcerer with eschew materials) and get an equally, if not more, broken character.

Or you could not be a sperglord, come up with a CONCEPT for your character, choose the race and class that best fits that concept, and actually roleplay instead of trying to min-max, but that's just me. I mean, Fighters aren't exactly the best 3.5 class either, but if I want to play a knight-like dude (i find the actual knight class too restrictive and i dont like losing flanking bonuses roleplaying or no) or some sort of merc-for-hire dude, then I'll pick up some armor.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

Or you could not be a sperglord, come up with a CONCEPT for your character, choose the race and class that best fits that concept, and actually roleplay instead of trying to min-max, but that's just me. I mean, Fighters aren't exactly the best 3.5 class either, but if I want to play a knight-like dude (i find the actual knight class too restrictive and i dont like losing flanking bonuses roleplaying or no) or some sort of merc-for-hire dude, then I'll pick up some armor.
I agree. Unarmed Swordsages and Tashalatora Psionic characters are the best "monks".

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

kalonZombie posted:

The only viable way to play a 3.5 Monk is to also take a Vow of Poverty, but at that point you can play any other class that doesn't rely heavily on equipment (like say a sorcerer with eschew materials) and get an equally, if not more, broken character.
I think the best example of this is Druids. "I can have all my enhancement bonuses in animal form without spending extra wild shape uses? Yes please."

kalonZombie posted:

One does not preclude the other. A concept can be realised systematically well or systematically poorly. A knight-like dude can just as easily be a Crusader, for instance. A merc-for-hire can just as easily be a Warblade. These are both better systematically than the Fighter class, and fulfill the concepts you describe. Class names (and, just as easily, class fluff) can be discounted. Work with your GM!

That said, 3.5 is a horrid system and I've been GMing it for years. At higher levels encounter design is really tedious, because a single overlooked or skimmed ability description can render the encounter a cakewalk or a total party wipe. You basically have to design encounters specifically for the party that's going to face them if you want any challenge (and lack of sudden party wipes), which makes the whole CR / EL system fall to the wayside.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

kalonZombie posted:

This is a pretty bad attitude. "Well, you could not have autism and actually PLAY the game by using the super bad rules and sucking it up, like a true gamer."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
If you are going to just ignore the mechanics and only care about your concept, why play 3.5? There are so many other options available now that there is literally no reason to force yourself to ignore everything bad about 3.5 anymore.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

kalonZombie posted:

I like succeeding and have things that my character is good at doing, ideally better than what the rest of the party can do, so that we can form a party dynamic and have fun having roles in the group. "Just choose something and play it" just means that I end up worse and not having fun because of it. 3.5 is so antithetical to "make a concept and run with it" that this is probably the worst advice you can give someone if they want to have fun.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
3.5 isn't next, if you're gonna argue at least be on-topic

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Having looked it up, it's obviously an issue where wires got crossed. Page 31, Evokers get an ability on level six called Potent Cantrip that allows them to do half damage on a save. The problem is that damaging cantrips seem to be based on a ranged attack roll, not a save. It's either a throwback to earlier playtests, when cantrips were Damage On a Save (which is a miss, darn it) and they simply haven't substituted it for something else, or it's meant to be damage-on-a-miss period.

Rules As Written, though, it's completely useless. Go Wizards!

Just confirmed by twitter it's useless right now and they plan on adding in some cantrips that benefit from it.

Fighters are still much better then they were in 3.5 anyway they will do tons of damage. Action surge can let them get 4 to 8 attacks in a single round. On how they can protect the Wizard. By getting into their enemies face and ripping them apart with their great offensive damage.

While I would not put them on the same level as Wizard in overall usefulness at max level, they are still very useful and surpass the Wizard at several points. Hell most Wizard buff spells are better for buffing the fighter then casting on themselves. Take Stoneskin for example it makes whoever it is cast on tanky but if cast on a wizard he has to make his concentration save to keep it up. If cast on the fighter and the fighter is hit he won't have to.

Anyway once monsters are added to basic I think the game will look even better. As the characters are not meant to be fight each other. Though if a High Level Wizard Fought a High Level Fighter. I would probably bet on the fighter. Because the Wizard other then a save or suck (And Fighters can have advantage on saving throws and massive damage (And fighters have lots of HP) has no way to beat him on the Wizards first turn. While the Fighters first turn will result in him splatting the Wizard. (Though it is heavily dependent on who will go first.) But I would put it 60 to 40 in favor of the Fighter winning.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 6, 2014

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

PlasmaMan posted:

I got all excited seeing 40 new posts thinking there was a new episode out.

(There was not.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Whycalibur posted:

I got all excited seeing 40 new posts thinking there was a new episode out.

(There was not.)

I was as well still I felt I could add to the discussion.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you want it to be more "To Do it, DO IT" (I want to cut the ogre's hair/set his lair on fire/hire him to beat up the kobolds"), try Dungeon World.

If you want tactical combat with an interesting, unobtrusive skillsystem and every character being BY DEFAULT One-of-a-kind in some way, 13th Age.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I had a really long drat post here, but then I thought: "It's elfgames. You can say 'It is so much better to run it in X' or 'Do not use Y, it sucks' till you're blue in the face, but in the end, it actually all depends on the GM (EDIT: To clarify, "How the GM does things")."

I've played simple games of RIFTs which felt fair. I've played (and run) enough GURPS to know where to streamline and where to crack down so nobody goes "Errrrh, GURPS is reaaaallly complicated and annoying!"

So, to summarise what would have been a really long-rear end post:

- Wizards are only as OP as a GM lets them be.
- This mindset leads to adversarial bullshit, which just isn't fun for most groups.
- Every god-drat system has their merits and flaws
- Yes, you totally can run X campaign in Y ruleset. But sometimes, the ruleset is actually designed with the campaign in mind.
- Prime Directive: Have fun when you're playing your elfgames, and, as a DM, don't hesitate to fudge, streamline, and otherwise gently caress around with the rules within reasonable bounds. (A really good example: The magic system in Shadowrun can be ever so slightly streamlined for more fun. Making Eddie Vedder someone's totem spirit helps.)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 6, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Golden Bee posted:

If you want it to be more "To Do it, DO IT" (I want to cut the ogre's hair/set his lair on fire/hire him to beat up the kobolds"), try Dungeon World.

If you want tactical combat with an interesting, unobtrusive skillsystem and every character being BY DEFAULT One-of-a-kind in some way, 13th Age.

And those are basically the best two D&D alternatives out there. One of those will scratch your D&D itch, guaranteed.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I remember when I first played a 3.5 game. Dwarf Fighter, when the rest of the team were either casters or this one smug dude who was min/maxing his monk. Was a pain that the whole of my character's early levels were bull rush, attack, five-foot step, attack, return to five-foot step, when everyone else was doing cool poo poo and was picking up new ways to do cool poo poo with just about every level. I managed to convince the DM that my Bluff checks could be used against enemies during battle, yelling taunts and obscenities or just yelling in general. The sort of effects that would happen would be enemies moving a square away from me or distracting others, or making enemies cower or straight-up flee if the Bluff blew the counter-roll out of the water.

We had an encounter where I rolled a high enough Bluff and the counter-rolls were low enough that the whole encounter, which was meant to be tough, was nullified by effectively giving the whole team a free turn. That was a good night. Even if it was that one little thing, it felt great to actually do poo poo to affect battles aside from occupying a space between the enemies and my spell-flinging buddies.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

PlasmaMan posted:

I'm sorry, this is all my fault. Kill me now.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
D&D next seem harder to break compared to 3.x. I'm noticing less stuff that can be stacked with each other and the numbers look tighter, meaning the difference between a level 1 character and a level 20 character is less when it comes to Attack Bonus and skill checks among other things. It looks less flexible though.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

Crystalgate posted:

D&D next seem harder to break compared to 3.x. I'm noticing less stuff that can be stacked with each other and the numbers look tighter, meaning the difference between a level 1 character and a level 20 character is less when it comes to Attack Bonus and skill checks among other things. It looks less flexible though.

This is what's bothering me about the system currently. In 4e, even before the metric fuckload of add-on material was released, you could mix and match feats with classes and powers and magic armor effects to produce something pretty unique and cool.

In 5ed and 13th Age too it seems that in order to keep things from breaking they don't let anything interact or overlap and keep things pretty compartmentalized.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still we will have to wait for the PHB to know for sure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know I'll probably give Next a try sometime. At least at a glance (I've forgotten practically everything about how to even play 3.5 at this point), it seems as much of a boring fragile wuss a level 1 Fighter in Next would be compared to 4th edition, at least I'll be a better off than a fresh faced fighter in 3.5. Since you can still self heal once an encounter on top of getting a perk so you can do "Basic attacks plus an extra", instead of just default mechanics without feat options.

I am not surprised at all they removed the damage on miss to instead just give you brutal 2 option with big weapons. But at least being able to reroll 1's and 2's on your damage dice, on a 2d6 weapon like a Maul (Only 10 Gold! Buy now!) or Greatsword (50 Gold!... wait, come back! People love swords! And you can get one for free!) is pretty sweet. Though my favorite thing about being a Guardian Fighter in 4th was the combination of "I am a useful tank, and enjoy it :aaaaa:" and "Hahh My Fighter has a good Will defense, suck it psychic attacks :allears:"

Larry Lumphammer the blue collar Dwarven miner will have to wait until they actually work out the obvious mistakes in their Free/obvious beta test rules though, as well as some pals of mine wanting to try it out of curiosity if nothing else.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Still we will have to wait for the PHB to know for sure.
I was looking into that. Could somebody explain to me why the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master Guide are all being released a month apart?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 6, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Section Z posted:

I was looking into that. Could somebody explain to me why the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master Guide are all being released a month apart?

The 5E development team is incompetent. They literally finished the starter set PDF the night before it was supposed to release.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Man, Wolfshirt is showing us the future episodes, and they are SO GOOD you guys

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Man, Wolfshirt is showing us the future episodes, and they are SO GOOD you guys

Even hearing that brings a smile to my face. I can't wait to see them. I believe we get the next one tomorrow if the I remember right.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

Session 1-3 The Errut Problem

The foretold land of cakes and golems gives our heroes a difficult time as things turn out to be less simple than they appeared.

(As a side note I dropped the background music levels and boosted the audio in general since people were having trouble hearing it. Let me know if it's better.)

WolfShirt fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 8, 2014

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Aiding and abetting corporate espionage is very evil, Panzer, sorry

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Due to finding this LP, I am currently attempting to go through the 4e episodes, and wow is there so much to go through. I'm still only at episode 3.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I was literally in tears laughing during this episode. I'm kind of hoping that Mr. Ted Cola winds up being completely innocent after all this.

Oh, and the audio levels worked much better in this episode, thanks for adjusting them.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

wokow6 posted:

Due to finding this LP, I am currently attempting to go through the 4e episodes, and wow is there so much to go through. I'm still only at episode 3.

Well if you're looking for something a little less mountainous that has the advantages of greater experience and being ongoing there's this too.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I'll check that out sometime, but I think I'm gonna continue with the 4e crew for now. I've already become invested in this group of adventurers.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

wokow6 posted:

I'll check that out sometime, but I think I'm gonna continue with the 4e crew for now. I've already become invested in this group of adventurers.

I don't really get that since it's essentially the same people and they all feature different casts of characters, but it's your free time to spend.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Audio levels are poifikt. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I hope Rockmeats eventually learns the virtue of rolling actual dice for stealth.

• Locked thread