Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

is the 3ds version of this gimped at all?

It isn't going to get the local co-op when it is released IIRC but otherwise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't going to get the local co-op when it is released IIRC but otherwise no.

It also has a Streetpass battle arena that is goddamn frustrating when the other dude shoots a fireball right off the bat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

It has special features that nobody else has! 3D, which is done tastefully, and a crazy spotpass battle arena which is kindof a novelty but still a nice bonus.

That said, I have no clue when or if the 3DS will get the updates that we're supposed to get down the line for additional playable sections. But Nintendo certainly has the infrastructure to do updates like that now without any difficulty.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Awesome! posted:

In addition to the optional 3d effect and Streetpass Arena, you can quickly switch relics and look at your gear via the bottom screen. Hell, i didn't even realize i could switch the relics via a menu until near the end of my first playthrough.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Do Meal Tickets count towards item completion %? I'm trying to do a 0% run and am curious.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Gortarius posted:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I feel like this is pretty mediocre at the end of the day. The only reason I really even think that is because it is so run-of-the-mill.

You're right in a way, it is run of the mill, in that it doesn't bring anything new to the table. What it does well is execute those run of the mill elements very well. Personally that's all I really look for in a game these days. Too many games try to reinvent the wheel and wind up screwing the pooch when it comes to the basics.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Awesome! posted:

The only complaint I have is that some projectiles/platforms in the Explodatorium can be hard to see on the 3DS. Don't really recall having that problem anywhere else in the game though.

The 3D is done pretty well, in my opinion, and is actually amazing in the Tower of Fate with the green rain.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DiscoMouse posted:

You're right in a way, it is run of the mill, in that it doesn't bring anything new to the table. What it does well is execute those run of the mill elements very well. Personally that's all I really look for in a game these days. Too many games try to reinvent the wheel and wind up screwing the pooch when it comes to the basics.

Yeah. It's not innovative, but innovation is not as important as people might think.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yaya posted:

Do Meal Tickets count towards item completion %? I'm trying to do a 0% run and am curious.

I'm not sure, but I did get the Stacked achievement after giving a meal ticket away.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Anyone got advice on route/gear for speedrunning? I've gotten it down to 2:14, but that's a long way from 90 minutes.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ProfessorProf posted:

Anyone got advice on route/gear for speedrunning? I've gotten it down to 2:14, but that's a long way from 90 minutes.

My sub-90minute route was:

King Knight(+Flare Wand)
Specter Knight(+Phase Amulet)
Turn in free meal ticket and buy health/magic extends along with both Troupple Chalices
Treasure Knight(+Throwing Anchor)
Buy Dynamo Mail
Plague Knight
Mole Knight(Dust Knuckles optional)
Turn in free meal ticket and buy health/magic extends, as well as Fishing Rod and Chaos Sphere
Propeller Knight(+Propeller Dagger)
Tinker Knight(Mobile Gear optional)
Polar Knight
Tower of Fate

I beat the game at about 1:28, and there's definitely room for improvement; example being if you can blaze through the Lich Yard and shovel-duel Specter Knight well enough, you can skip picking up the Flare Wand until you go turn in your meal ticket and buy it in the village instead, as well as go so far as to run Specter Knight first so you can tackle Pridemoor Keep with the Phase Amulet. I also wound up having to fight Reize and Phantom Striker, so that ate a couple minutes.

I call the Dust Knuckles optional because while they're not essential they have their uses for streamlining certain areas and Chester is like half a screen off the beaten path in the Lost City anyway. The Mobile Gear is an instant-kill against Tinker Knight's on-foot phase, but you might not save much time anyway with how far in to get it you go (I didn't pick it up that run myself).

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 8, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Are the chalices and fishing line really useful? I assumed the 3-minute dance from the troupple king made them a no-sale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How useful is the anti-knockback armor. It seems like it could save some time if you can use it to brute force through some areas, especially on normal since it tosses so much health at you. I'm not sure if that would overcome the huge damage spike from Dynamo though

ProfessorProf posted:

Are the chalices and fishing line really useful? I assumed the 3-minute dance from the troupple king made them a no-sale.

Being able to get a full HP/MP store or 10 seconds of invincibility would probably even it out. It'd make it a lot easier to speed through areas that otherwise slow you down. I'm not sure about the fishing line though.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ProfessorProf posted:

If you're confident you can damage-race bosses then you probably don't need Troupple Chalices, I picked them up because I had trouble reliably oneshotting Specter Knight with the damage I took in his stage (I keep forgetting about his checkpoint wall chicken). The Fishing Rod does two damage to every boss and speeds up the Tinker Tank fight by a fair bit if you can get in the sweet spot between shoulder missiles.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 8, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Shaezerus posted:

If you're confident you can damage-race bosses then you probably don't need Troupple Chalices, I picked them up because I had trouble reliably oneshotting Specter Knight with the damage I took in his stage (I keep forgetting about his checkpoint wall chicken). The Fishing Rod does two damage to every boss and speeds up the Tinker Tank fight by a fair bit if you can get in the sweet spot between shoulder missiles.

Oh man, I hadn't thought of fishing Tinker Tank to death, that's awesome. I'm not sure how practical it would be against most bosses, though.

One of my greatest Shovel Knight ambitions is to kill the Enchantress's first form by fishing

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

ProfessorProf posted:

Oh man, I hadn't thought of fishing Tinker Tank to death, that's awesome. I'm not sure how practical it would be against most bosses, though.

I just remembered that it also deals like, seven damage to Tinker Knight's on-foot phase, for some reason. If you don't go for the Mobile Gear approach, chase him down until he trips then drop the Fishing Rod on his back to cut down a good third of his life. :getin:

Also remember that just having the Fishing Rod's anchor deployed counts as its hitbox, so him running directly into the thing counts as smacking him with it. Great for when you've cornered him and he threw his wrench in the other direction first.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 8, 2014

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Shaezerus posted:

I just remembered that it also deals like, seven damage to Tinker Knight's on-foot phase, for some reason. If you don't go for the Mobile Gear approach, chase him down until he trips then drop the Fishing Rod on his back to cut down a good third of his life. :getin:

Also remember that just having the Fishing Rod's anchor deployed counts as its hitbox, so him running directly into the thing counts as smacking him with it. Great for when you've cornered him and he threw his wrench in the other direction first.

Y'all please quit abusing Tinker Knight

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Y'all please quit abusing Tinker Knight

It's not my fault he's weak to weird weapons. :v: My discovery with the Fishing Rod was borne out of trying to see if any other bosses had quirks like his Mobile Gear trample, but unfortunately it doesn't seem that way. I was incredibly disappointed to discover that nothing happens if you use the War Horn at the same time King Knight breaks out his trumpets, it really felt like that would've done something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

An update for the Wii U version was just pushed to my console. Anyone know what it does?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

An update for the Wii U version was just pushed to my console. Anyone know what it does?

It's a fix for the Tinker Knight glitch. 3DS Tinker Knight fix is coming ASAP, and there'll be a more substantial bugfix patch coming soon for all versions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat this today. God it's so good. I think I'd say it's one of my favorite platformers. It was challenging but (aside from Propeller Knight's stage) it wasn't too frustrating. I... I might even play NG+ at some point? Or try a no relics run? What a strange feeling.

Faroush
Mar 21, 2009

Amashing

Accomplished this today, and have loved every minute in doing so. Seriously I haven't felt this excited for a game since Mega Man 9.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm still working through all the feats on the 3DS version. Nobody is ever going to be able to look at my non-existant 3DS profile and see that but I'm enjoying the game too much and I like being encouraged to play the game in various ways~

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got to the second tower level, and rage quit at the end.

Got through almost every boss, final one was Plague Knight. gently caress PLAGUE KNIGHT! Used my last ichor and he still killed me :qq:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Got through almost every boss, final one was Plague Knight. gently caress PLAGUE KNIGHT! Used my last ichor and he still killed me :qq:

NG or NG+?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Never managed to get his pattern down. Whenever I fight him I either barely survive/die, or annihilate him while taking barely any damage.

It's helpful to always hold down so if you happen to collide with him you'll damage him. You can also bounce on the vials he summons.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Don't know if I'm supposed to have some ability or item at this point but I think Polar Knight creates situations where you literally can't avoid taking a hit. Either I jump into the spikes and dies or keep on pogoing on top of him and take a hit because there is no floor or snowballs to go to anymore.

Or getting cut off into a corner and then he kicks in those falling spikes and does the leap immediately after, and now you either stand under him, jump into the falling spikes or into the spikes on the ground.

I don't know how I got him but apparently going inside his sprite and mashing attack button worked?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that's a normal case of a boss pattern shaping the environment adding pressure to the player. The trick is to either kill the boss before the situation has the chance to form, or memorize the pattern well enough to avoid being in a location from which you can't get out without getting harmed. Polar Knight is essentially the last boss before the tower which is why he's got the trickiest pattern.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I'm still working through all the feats on the 3DS version. Nobody is ever going to be able to look at my non-existant 3DS profile and see that but I'm enjoying the game too much and I like being encouraged to play the game in various ways~

You could totally brag on Miiverse to show how pro at video games you are.

Gortarius posted:

I don't know how I got him but apparently going inside his sprite and mashing attack button worked?

Enemies aren't able to hurt you while they are in the hit stun flash, so as long as you are hitting the enemy and keeping them in that state you won't be hurt by touching them.

Volty
Jul 25, 2013

weird bleep posted:

Enemies aren't able to hurt you while they are in the hit stun flash, so as long as you are hitting the enemy and keeping them in that state you won't be hurt by touching them.

That's also why you can sorta-fence Propeller Knight, if you hit him as he lunges at you he flies right through you without you getting hit. Timing's sorta tricky, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Volty posted:

That's also why you can sorta-fence Propeller Knight, if you hit him as he lunges at you he flies right through you without you getting hit. Timing's sorta tricky, though.

Yeah, you can do the same with Specter Knight when he rushes across the screen, if you bonk him first he goes right through you.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Volty posted:

I thought this was how you were supposed to beat propeller knight. :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So unless i just completely missed it where do you get the Propeller Dagger at? I didn't find it in Propeller Knight's stage so que me trying to beat Frigid Flight thinking that flying= using mobile gear to get over the first jump and thinking that's how you do everything.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

It's in Propeller Knight's stage. There's a part where you climb up a ladder to a new screen and there are six electric jellyfish you need to pogo over. When you reach the top of that ladder, jump back down the ladder and hold to the right.

weird bleep posted:

You could totally brag on Miiverse to show how pro at video games you are.
Nah I'll just brag here. :buddy:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I beat the game yesterday, it rules. Got most everything (a bug is keeping me from getting all music sheets) and I can't wait for the extra game modes to be added. On that note, I'm glad King Knight won, but I'm not too excited about the other two. Propeller Knight seemed so interesting to me, and he's got a pretty neat design.

And I know Black Knight was kind of an unexciting choice, and even the devs didn't seem to have much of an idea for how he would play, but a part of me feels it's sacrilegious that the rival/cool alternate character isn't going to be playable. I so badly wanted a Julius mode... Oh well. Maybe someone can do a hack where Shovel Knight's sprite is replaced with Black Knight's and I can be satisfied with that.

Anyway, everyone should buy this game. This team are the people who brought us Double Dragon Neon before they left Wayforward, so you know they're legit.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Kaubocks posted:

It's in Propeller Knight's stage. There's a part where you climb up a ladder to a new screen and there are six electric jellyfish you need to pogo over. When you reach the top of that ladder, jump back down the ladder and hold to the right.

I got there by using the Mobile Gear to prevent the wind from sending me up. But that method makes way more sense.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just saw a tweet from Ken Sugimori (the Pokemon art guy), looks like he's been playing Shovel Knight on an imported 3DS:

https://twitter.com/SUPER_32X/status/484625858368245760

The caption says something like "The intermission screen looks like Golden Axe, but that guy isn't Death Adder."

EDIT: for the dude who missed the Volgarr sale, it's $3.99 on the Humble Store right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/volgarrtheviking_storefront

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I really like the game, although it's really challenging. I've got all the music sheets except for number 007. Does anyone know where it is?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just saw a tweet from Ken Sugimori (the Pokemon art guy), looks like he's been playing Shovel Knight on an imported 3DS:

https://twitter.com/SUPER_32X/status/484625858368245760

The caption says something like "The intermission screen looks like Golden Axe, but that guy isn't Death Adder."

EDIT: for the dude who missed the Volgarr sale, it's $3.99 on the Humble Store right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/volgarrtheviking_storefront

Hey! Much appreciated, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Zuzie posted:

I really like the game, although it's really challenging. I've got all the music sheets except for number 007. Does anyone know where it is?

Vague it is in the first village

Specific left wall in the red room to the right of the room down the ladder from the people who increase your health and magic

• Locked thread