Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Someone will have to a make a decision where to drop off my platoon. I'll also suggest that the tanks should unbutton, since there are plenty of enemy tanks around, but probably not much infantry yet. Also, cancel your previous target arcs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DagPenge posted:

I guess I have to move then, but it should be possible to get a clear line from the hill and to the city right? If I am still not making sense, just ignore me and I'll just follow your orders once I have them.

This is the view from northern edge of F10 to the station.

It's far too dense, buildings and trees and poo poo.

I'd caution though that if you go any further to north, then the view (after the smoke withers) from F9 to southwest is this:

You could get shot in the fanny if there's anything with a gun south of the river. At the very least I would recommend swinging your turret that way until you get behind some real cover.

edit: oh and by the way, vehicles must stop for a full turn for infantry to disembark, iirc. Otherwise they will be carried to the vehicle's next waypoint, even if you gave the vehicle a sufficient pause for passengers to get off. So pay attention to where and when to disembark!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 8, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I've put my orders up on the spreadsheet. Now everybody else can put theirs in.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm thinking my tank should keep moving north to the railway station, swing the turret/target arc to the east and leave the infantry to dismount at their discretion?

Posting here before I turn it into orders, CM newb and all that.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Whoops! I finally managed to get the thing to go full size, and it appears that the Panther south of the river is Panther 2, not 3 as I previously assumed!

It turns out anilEhilated is correct about the apparent mislabelling - I'm now also genuinely confused about who's commanding what.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Grey, could you please put up a map stating "this guy commands this tank" so I can then number them and clear up this confusion?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey, can you make your youtube updates hidden until the game ends? After watching our video that darned thing suggested the Soviet update and I almost clicked on it because I'm a retard.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
These are not my final orders, but please Nenonen can you check that this isn't too dumb.

1. Panther 1 and 2 turn turret towards to arc, fast move to 2 using the indicated route.

2. Panther 1 dismounts infantry and overwatches the indicated area, Panther 2 moves towards 3.

3. Panther 2 dismounts infantry.

Both Panthers are unbuttoned and are free to engage targets of opportunity. If we start to engage, stop and dismount infantry (if you can do both at the same time)

My thinking was that this route should keep me as clear of the treeline of doom as I can get, while setting me up for withdrawing Panther 2 back to Panther 1, so we can overwatch the road into town as well as the rail station. Any suggestions?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

DagPenge posted:

These are not my final orders, but please Nenonen can you check that this isn't too dumb.

1. Panther 1 and 2 turn turret towards to arc, fast move to 2 using the indicated route.

2. Panther 1 dismounts infantry and overwatches the indicated area, Panther 2 moves towards 3.

3. Panther 2 dismounts infantry.

Both Panthers are unbuttoned and are free to engage targets of opportunity. If we start to engage, stop and dismount infantry (if you can do both at the same time)

My thinking was that this route should keep me as clear of the treeline of doom as I can get, while setting me up for withdrawing Panther 2 back to Panther 1, so we can overwatch the road into town as well as the rail station. Any suggestions?

On the map Panther 2 is the panther south of the river covering the L8 ford

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That route ought to be safe*, although the initial arc will be safer if it's large as possible centered on east.

(*no guarantees, lines of sight through woods can be unpredictable)

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Okay the initial plan seems good, so I'll order the initial Panther that way. If my other Panther is the one across the River, then it will stay there as Unwanted ordered. I will however ask that the 2nd Panther across follows my lead.

Once we get the map with commanders marked, I'll do my official orders.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

DagPenge posted:

Okay the initial plan seems good, so I'll order the initial Panther that way. If my other Panther is the one across the River, then it will stay there as Unwanted ordered. I will however ask that the 2nd Panther across follows my lead.

Once we get the map with commanders marked, I'll do my official orders.

you're other panther is now under the command of Soup Inspector

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

you're other panther is now under the command of Soup Inspector

Even better! Sorry I missed that.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
unwanted platypus, we're going to need to make sure our tanks can get into good ambush positions. There's at least one light recon tank and probably a platoon or more of T-34s, plus a platoon of mounted infantry. And a shitload more infantry and tanks are probably on the way.

I've marked some potential positions for our tanks. Purple lines are long lines of sight. Our tanks need to be very careful while crossing these, since Soviet tanks may be looking down them. Orange marks are keyhole positions. Red marks are general ambush positions.

--

revised orders for Nenonen and Man With Hat

Nenonen, please move your platoon to the marked area (green arrow) and get your men covering the L ford and the nearby riverbank. Keep an eye out for any Russian forces in their treeline. If you can get good LOS, deploy your HMGs. Try to get there by Turn 8.

Man With Hat, please move your platoon to the marked area (blue arrow) and try to get LOS on the L ford and the north bank of the river. Deploy HMGs at your discretion.

--

e:TonySnow can we modify our fire mission on the L ford to have a higher intensity? It seems like the Soviets are heading across the river hell-for-leather and I think we ought to hammer them while we still can.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I'm a bit confused about the spreadsheet. I want to use a map to give orders, so I should just link my forum post containing the orders as a comment there, right?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Valiantman posted:

I'm a bit confused about the spreadsheet. I want to use a map to give orders, so I should just link my forum post containing the orders as a comment there, right?

Just put the link in the comment.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I light of recent events I move to cancel all operations and have a impromptu soccer match.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

unwanted platypus, we're going to need to make sure our tanks can get into good ambush positions. There's at least one light recon tank and probably a platoon or more of T-34s, plus a platoon of mounted infantry. And a shitload more infantry and tanks are probably on the way.

I've marked some potential positions for our tanks. Purple lines are long lines of sight. Our tanks need to be very careful while crossing these, since Soviet tanks may be looking down them. Orange marks are keyhole positions. Red marks are general ambush positions.

--

Nenonen, please move your platoon to the marked area (green arrow) and get your men covering the L ford and the nearby riverbank. Keep an eye out for any Russian forces in their treeline.

--

e:TonySnow can we modify our fire mission on the L ford to have a higher intensity? It seems like the Soviets are heading across the river hell-for-leather and I think we ought to hammer them while we still

I think if I can get my platoon to put down some suppressing fire, or at least on orders to fire on sight of the enemy you might be able to move up quite quickly (I'm the guys up to te north of your green arrow). Depending on my own orders, we're at least there to provide some backup.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bacarruda posted:

Nenonen, please move your platoon to the marked area (green arrow) and get your men covering the L ford and the nearby riverbank. Keep an eye out for any Russian forces in their treeline.

In what time frame do you need this to happen? The more time you give my men, the fewer the risks.

What should I do with my flamethrower? Don't expect them to sprint long distances under fire.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Nenonen posted:

In what time frame do you need this to happen? The more time you give my men, the fewer the risks.

What should I do with my flamethrower? Don't expect them to sprint long distances under fire.

Try to get there around Turn 8. I know we're moving at a fast tempo, but I need your platoon in position to cover the fords and the far bank.

It's up to you and Man With Hat on how to task your flamethrowers. My intent is for 2 Kompanie to begin fording during Round 10, so I would recommend that both of you move your flamethrowers behnd the ridge to that they are closer to the river. They won't have much to do up on the ridge.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 9, 2014

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Jobbo Fett take your HMGs from BP Bruno to Carl. Primary direction of fire is L8 ford. Maintain dispersion between guns.

ForeverBFWC, take 2 of your mortars plus ammo bearers to BP Carl. Ensure they have a direct line of sight to L8 and can drop rounds directly onto the near and far side.

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 9, 2014

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Orders: 1st Fusilier Company, effective until you receive new orders

Company HQ will dismount at the red circle and then follow the light yellow line quickly and seek cover from inside of the farmhouse.

1st Platoon is to wait until the 2nd has crossed the river, then advance and stop at the farmhouse marked with green circle. You act as a reserve platoon for now. Prepare to reinforce the two forward platoons at any time.

2nd Platoon is to start fording. Space out so that a potential mortar barrage won't cause horrible casualties. Your goal for now is to secure the orchard marked with a yellow circle and act as our eyes towards the objective area.

3rd Platoon will likely dismount roughly around the red circle. You are to secure the western end of the village. Marked with red dots are three key buildings you have to secure. Actually manning them is recommended but ultimately left at the platoon leader's discretion, depending on enemy movements.

4th Platoon is to provide the 3rd Platoon with anti-tank support.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grey/unwantedplatypus: Can we get the first two posts updated with current forces/commanders/orders spreadsheet? It'd make it tons easier to find things.

And orders in, I think. Surely nothing can go wrong! (I am totally not 100% sure which PZshrk team is mine :O )

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Grey/unwantedplatypus: Can we get the first two posts updated with current forces/commanders/orders spreadsheet? It'd make it tons easier to find things.

Done

Zyrden
Mar 25, 2012

Climbing gear.
Pretty sure my panzer is carrying 1st com. HQ and one of the Schrek teams. They'll both be dropped off at 3A on Valiantman's map. Given that the soviets already have tanks at the train station, would it be safe to occupy the railroad keyhole, or would they shoot me immediately?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Zyrden posted:

Pretty sure my panzer is carrying 1st com. HQ and one of the Schrek teams. They'll both be dropped off at 3A on Valiantman's map. Given that the soviets already have tanks at the train station, would it be safe to occupy the railroad keyhole, or would they shoot me immediately?

The red line I've marked at PL Schtizengiggle should be ok, but you'll need to approach it carefully, preferably with your frontal armor facing the enemy as you approach. And it's be risky to go there until PL Farva has been keyholed and covered by one of the other tanks.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 9, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TonySnow posted:

Jobbo Fett, take your HMGs from BP Bruno to Carl. Primary direction of fire is L8 ford. Maintain dispersion between guns.

HMG 4/1/2 moves to G-16 (6) and deploys facing EAST-NORTH-EAST. HMG will lay down suppressing fire at anything WEST of line L.

HMG 4/1/3 (I assume 4/1/3 is not the one next to HQ) moves to G-15 (1) and deploys facing NORTH-EAST. HMG to lay down suppressing fire on all targets of opportunity.

HMG 4/1/1 and HQ team 4/1/H will stay where they are.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Orders for 2 Kompanie

2 Kompanie's Headquarters will MOVE to square F14 and HIDE. We will remain on the reverse slope.

Nenonen and Man With Hat, please follow your updated orders:

Bacarruda posted:

Nenonen, please move your platoon to the marked area (green arrow) and get your men covering the L ford and the nearby riverbank. Keep an eye out for any Russian forces in their treeline. If you can get good LOS, deploy your HMGs. Try to get there by Turn 8.

Man With Hat, please move your platoon to the marked area (blue arrow) and try to get LOS on the L ford and the north bank of the river. Deploy HMGs at your discretion.

Dark_Swordmaster, you have new orders. Please move to F14 and go to ground. There's no big hurry, so exercise caution.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Ok, some analysis of video and map:

They smoked Ford L pretty heavily. With the tanks contacts being in the center of town, we have to assume that they crossed the river at Ford L. That means they've taken 1 of the 3 following options:

1. They rushed their tanks across the L Ford, and the majority of their infantry will be following right behind them across Ford L.
2. They rushed their tanks across the L Ford, and the majority of their infantry will be crossing at Ford P.
3. They rushed some of their tanks across L Ford, and some will cross at Ford P, with their infantry split up between the two.

Personally, I believe that they have taken Option 2, and that the force we are seeing is a forward security element, set up in town to 1) Delay us while they establish defenses deeper in the town or 2) secure a forward toe hold, and they will bring the rest of their troops up to these advance elements and defend from there. Our infantry need to advance into the town ahead of our panzers to identify any enemy tanks. Even a T-70 with a flank shot down a road can take out a panther.

Long term, I think the panzer on Ridge G is in a great position to cover Ford L8 and needs to stay there until we are sure there are no more tanks crossing. I would recommend moving it closer to BP Carl or Hill H14, so that the trees cover it's flank and form a more keyholed position.

My heavy weapons are being moved up to hit Ford L if any infantry cross. The best we can actually hope for is that they mistimed their smoke and that we are about to see a massed body of infantry attempt to cross at Ford L... I doubt that is the case, but hopefully our weapons can cover the open ground across from Ford P, to catch any squirters that cross there.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, is it just me, or did both sides smoke the same area roughly?

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

I got mentioned in the update :allears:

And orders are in, I am moving up and continuing to cover the ford.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Recommend if you do move that you utilize the reverse slope of the ridge you are on, skirt the treeline near BP Carl using fast move, and then come up the side of H14 to a good position. That way the tanks in town and any tanks in ToD are screened using Ridge G.

Edit: Like so.

For everyone controlling vehicles, it will almost always be better to draw your movement route on a map, if you just tell Grey to move to position XYZ, he'll just move you in a straight line there. You lose a lot of the advantages of using cover from the terrain that way.

For the panzers north of Ford G, I also recommend the following path into town, as it uses terrain to screen your movement.

Not trying to control everyone here, I just have the game and can see the terrain and judge the LOS off that. These are always just my recommendations. If anyone wants screenshots of the ground they occupy, I can provide them. I won't put units on the ground to draw LOS from though, that's just taking it too far into gamey territory.

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 9, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Dark_Swordmaster, you have new orders. Please move to F14 and go to ground. There's no big hurry, so exercise caution.

Done. A word of caution about moving into their outcropping: They have SMGs and will SLAUGHTER us in there if we let them get close. Keep a couple scout teams low and quite a bit ahead of us for some advanced warning if they're coming through the woods.

For a good AAR featuring Russian capabilities and strengths, read this. It's a FANTASTIC read. http://battledrill.blogspot.com/2014/02/combat-mission-red-thunder-beta-after.html

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Ygmir posted:

I got mentioned in the update :allears:

And orders are in, I am moving up and continuing to cover the ford.

You're gonna need to much more clear about where you want to move, how you want to get there, and how fast you want to move there. Ambiguity is how Grey murders your pixeltruppen.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Keep in mind that their infantry cannot have crossed their ford. Looking at the map, it took 1st company five minutes to cross the five squares to ford B8. Even being generous, at most they are nearing ford L8 or are currently crossing ford P7. This is why I ordered TonySnow to bombard ford P7. Either it halts the enemy's advance long enough for us to mop up their advance elements, or we inflict significant casuatlies. We have half of our forces covering L8, so I don't think we will need artillery there.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Artillery will be falling on P7 this turn. Hopefully we can catch them crossing and gently caress up their lead elements.

Updated overlay. Orders are NOT reflected on this map. Only the rough current location of most units. Each icon is either a platoon/section or an individual vehicle.

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 9, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Is there

TonySnow posted:

Ok, some analysis of video and map:

They smoked Ford L pretty heavily. With the tanks contacts being in the center of town, we have to assume that they crossed the river at Ford L. That means they've taken 1 of the 3 following options:

1. They rushed their tanks across the L Ford, and the majority of their infantry will be following right behind them across Ford L.
2. They rushed their tanks across the L Ford, and the majority of their infantry will be crossing at Ford P.
3. They rushed some of their tanks across L Ford, and some will cross at Ford P, with their infantry split up between the two.

Personally, I believe that they have taken Option 2, and that the force we are seeing is a forward security element, set up in town to 1) Delay us while they establish defenses deeper in the town or 2) secure a forward toe hold, and they will bring the rest of their troops up to these advance elements and defend from there. Our infantry need to advance into the town ahead of our panzers to identify any enemy tanks. Even a T-70 with a flank shot down a road can take out a panther.

Long term, I think the panzer on Ridge G is in a great position to cover Ford L8 and needs to stay there until we are sure there are no more tanks crossing. I would recommend moving it closer to BP Carl or Hill H14, so that the trees cover it's flank and form a more keyholed position.

My heavy weapons are being moved up to hit Ford L if any infantry cross. The best we can actually hope for is that they mistimed their smoke and that we are about to see a massed body of infantry attempt to cross at Ford L... I doubt that is the case, but hopefully our weapons can cover the open ground across from Ford P, to catch any squirters that cross there.

Agree on all points. A few suggestions for our artillery.

One, we've got the FO in the H14 woods. If he can hit either ford with artillery, he should try to do that ASAP.

Two, if you're right and they're moving men through Ford P this next turn cycle, we need to modify the 75mm fire mission on Ford P. Something like a 4 gun mission with HEAVY intensity for a SHORT duration. We have the chance to kill a shitload of Russians as they're stuck in a swamp and our planned trickle of 75mm ain't gonna do it.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I agree, with the first turns made and our arrival at the ford we should let loose our initial Artillery barrage at the first soviet ford. I don't know how long it takes for our shells to come down in that area or if it will have effect seeing as we already have contacts across the river. We do have plenty of artillery to go around no?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Better to have shelled and lost than not to have shelled at all ~ Napoleon Bonaparte, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Samuel posted:

I agree, with the first turns made and our arrival at the ford we should let loose our initial Artillery barrage at the first soviet ford. I don't know how long it takes for our shells to come down in that area or if it will have effect seeing as we already have contacts across the river. We do have plenty of artillery to go around no?

It isn't a mattter of letting it loose. Those rounds are already coming. I'm saying we need to increase the intensity of the Ford P fire mission (we should be able to edit fire missions, right?). Our current barrage is a trickle of shells and it isn't going to really do much damage to the Soviets as they cross.

• Locked thread