Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

The american audience loves an overdog

Only if the overdog is american.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Lungboy posted:

Is there any way to work out the annual viewing numbers, rather than individual ones? I guess the Fight Pass stuff makes it much harder to be accurate. As long as UFC are getting more overall annually, do they care about individual cards doing worse?

There is no way to calculate it like before. 5+ years ago, you could just add up all of the PPV buys. Nowadays you have foreign TV deals in multiple counties, FightPass, PPVs, Fox deal, etc.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Jacare vs Mousasi is being moved to the 9/5 Fight Night in Connecticut, which I'd imagine would be the headliner.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Lloyd Boner posted:

Jacare vs Mousasi is being moved to the 9/5 Fight Night in Connecticut, which I'd imagine would be the headliner.

For a fan in MA that is a whole lot more enticing than the Maine card

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Parillo digs that grave some more

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/8/5881813/jason-parillo-never-in-a-million-years-would-i-have-developed-b-j

Change a whole style around? That's not going to happen

uh

Edit: LOL and in another part of the interview he said he told Penn this new style was dumb while they were on TUF 19 and he didn't get invited to the training camp because it might strain their friendship. Yeah right. All in all he blames the entire thing on BJ getting what BJ wants so maybe he's right but him and everyone around him are still dumbshit idiots letting BJ Diva his way into a nationally televised rear end beating.

There has been long-running animosity between Jason and BJs guys in Hawaii, precisely because Jason tended to tell the Hawaii guys that they were bad trainers and letting BJ do whatever he wanted for 10% of a purse was not actually training somebody. And trying to depart from what someone has been doing for an entire training camp in the last week is, in fact, a bad idea. Parillo probably should have stayed away from the whole shitshow but I don't see anything particularly ridiculous in that interview.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Aldo is kind of correct in that he's getting dicked on fighter pay. He draws what he draws, yes, but the place where he'd be the most likely to get buys, has the fights for free on tv.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm just saying if he thinks changing his boxing style after X weeks is bad, why isn't changing it after X years even worse? But yeah I agree the best course of action here isn't to jump on the train right before it hits a curve doing 300.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
My expert analysis says that Aldo would earn more money if he was still killing dudes with double-jump knees in under ten seconds. :colbert:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm just saying if he thinks changing his boxing style after X weeks is bad, why isn't changing it after X years even worse? But yeah I agree the best course of action here isn't to jump on the train right before it hits a curve doing 300.

changing and evolving your style after many years is an important part of growing and developing as a fighter. trying to do it in two years is a reasonable undertaking. changing your style to not bend your legs because bending your legs makes you too tired is perhaps not a wise change to make. but like. he completely bought into that style. the change process itself was undertaken successfully. its just that in this case it was the dumbest possible change to make.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
ok. so you are getting tuckered out from your current fighting style. we are going to completely retool your game to avoid having that happen. what we are going to do is: make you stop trying.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think Jason was saying that after 2 years of BJ doing this under the totally useful tutelage of team Hawaii:

david carmichael posted:

ok. so you are getting tuckered out from your current fighting style. we are going to completely retool your game to avoid having that happen. what we are going to do is: make you stop trying.

Jason wasn't going to come in during the last week and try to change everything around. Which is reasonable. What is not reasonable is BJ's decision not to bend his legs, ever.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
new fighting style: sort of lean up against the cage resting on your right arm, and constantly ask the ref if its hot in here, or is it just me

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I remember my fencing coach, who had a long rear end pedigree of about every kind of fencing champion outside of an Olympian (plenty of Junior Olympic Golds though) that certain athletes had characteristics that a lifetime of training just would not change, and that after a certain point it was better to embrace the person's kinks and have them enter matches in a good mindset and not stressed. I think this all came out of a conversation about why he would be a grueling taskmaster with some athletes, and others he preferred to let relax going into competition.

Maybe it's that train of thought in action? Penn was not going to drastically change for one fight at the end of the career so better to work with what he had?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 9, 2014

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

new fighting style: sort of lean up against the cage resting on your right arm, and constantly ask the ref if its hot in here, or is it just me

Frank Mir's Art of Deception

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It's why not everyone can coach. Been able to get the best out of a person and work around their weaknesses is hard. The Chael/Jones TUF was a great example of this, you had Chael working guys to their abilities whilst Jones would show techniques to people that they just couldn't do. Jones just didn't realise that not everyone can do what he can.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I think I read that Jenny Thomson (swimmer) had like really bad stroke technique but it worked for her so her coaches eventually said "gently caress it" and embraced it.

So it happens I guess.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Nibbles141 posted:

It's why not everyone can coach. Been able to get the best out of a person and work around their weaknesses is hard. The Chael/Jones TUF was a great example of this, you had Chael working guys to their abilities whilst Jones would show techniques to people that they just couldn't do. Jones just didn't realise that not everyone can do what he can.

"Be taller!"

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
My theory for what inspired Baby Jay's strategy:

BJ's been watching movies nominated for Best Picture and just got up to The Crying Game.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

david carmichael posted:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Frank Mir's Art of Deception
lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Reminder that bj did no s&c this camp, just taro root farming and building roads.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He's in the best shape of his life Joe

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Log posted:

Maybe it's that train of thought in action? Penn was not going to drastically change for one fight at the end of the career so better to work with what he had?

Well the problem was Penn did drastically change his style at the end of his career. We've never seen him fight like he did Sunday. Jason only had one week to either get him back to the old style or develop another entirely new style.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
BJ was gonna get his rear end whipped whether he changed his style or not.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
The Chael vs. Jones coaching reminds me way too much of some things I've personally encountered and I never really thought too much about it until comparing the two.

Yeah, I guess you could call it pragmatic coaching. My fencing coach knew I had entered too late to ever amount to much in Nashville. You either had to start young and establish yourself on the regional tournaments and then go crush the Junior Olympics. If you started late you had to rank in small tournaments and go up from there. It never happened at my age in Nashville because we had a lot of immigrants in the 35 years old and up age of Soviet bloc countries who could go to any of the smaller tourneys and sleep through them and still maintain their Men's A rating. My club had a chain smoking Russian ex-Olympian who never talked but was cool in that unsettling foreign guy wearing a twenty year old leather jacket way.

Anyways, I've never been able to stretch my legs for a gently caress. Before tourneys people would go into intense stretching routines and I would flounder badly and get exhausted just trying to limber up my legs. My coach eventually said, "Stretch for five minutes, then relax. You'll do better with a fresh mind and your other skills than shot legs that will take five to ten years to get limber." After this, I started placing well enough to get a low ranking and enjoy myself enough to be able to coach a bit in college. He saw what I could do and made the best of it.

Sadly, we had one Women's Junior Epee fencer who was always in the top three if not two in the nation. She was considered a shoe in for the Olympics if she could post a good college career. She got a full fencing scholarship to a drat good school up north but the coach fought her going tooth and nail. He knew she was a mental case before tourneys and would let her listen to music, relax, and joke around. Then she would win. The Russian idiots at her school had a, "YELL FREQUENTLY! YOU ARE WRONG! TRY HARDER! PUT A TOWEL OVER YOUR HEAD FOR AT LEAST FIFTEEN MINUTES WITHOUT MOVING OR TALKING BEFORE A MATCH AND VISUALIZE THE WIN! (I'm not loving joking on that last one.)" She then started to peter out, dropped in rankings, didn't qualify for the Olympics, and one morning jumped out of her lofted top bunk onto an upturned stiletto heel which then shot through her foot and that was it for her hopes. It was God drat angering and sad, but he called it happening before she left for college.

tl;dr - My fencing coach was cool. Fencing was cool. Smart coaching is rare and very cool.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bj is back and more motivated than ever! and also he doesn't want to bend his legs, because that's too much work. his level of fierceness may never be matched

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't even understand why I kept hope alive after seeing him on that TUF season. Where he was constantly humming along at 1/8th the energy level of a 200 year old wrestling golem and speaking in some odd distracted cadence where it sounded like he was always talking to an 8 year old who was trying to explain Magic the Gathering to him while the game was on.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So the UFC only has Mighty Mouse, Dillashaw, and The Herb as healthy champions. Cain, Weidman, Hendricks, Pettis, Aldo and Ronda are all recovering from surgery or on medical suspensions. As if the lack of headliners wasn't hurting the UFC before.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
BJ's standup style was pretty obviously a bad idea, but I feel like people's fixation on it has obscured the main difference between their second match and this one. Sure, the close-together stance had him getting beaten on the feet, but he got beat on the feet before - the major difference here was in the second match when Frankie got BJ down, BJ mostly kept him off balance and was able to use his guard to get back to his feet the way he always has. In this one, when Frankie got BJ down, that was pretty much it - he was down there getting elbowed up for the duration.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Trast posted:

Cain, ... Hendricks, Pettis, Aldo ... are all recovering from surgery or on medical suspensions. As if the lack of headliners wasn't hurting the UFC before.

those 4 are supposed to fight between the months of october to december, so UFC will be fine for those PPVs cause that's plenty. In that case Weidman and Ronda can be out until early next year and it doesn't hurt them much. If that Diaz vs Silva fight does go down in "early 2015" then that's already 1 PPV they really don't need a champion for.

Demetrious Johnson vs John Dodson II will also happen before the end of the year and i'm 99.9% sure it will happen on the December FOX card. Cause Dana said sure Mighty Mouse will headline a PPV again despite the bad buyrate, and maybe FOX is looking into using him again too what of it?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

BJ's standup style was pretty obviously a bad idea, but I feel like people's fixation on it has obscured the main difference between their second match and this one. Sure, the close-together stance had him getting beaten on the feet, but he got beat on the feet before - the major difference here was in the second match when Frankie got BJ down, BJ mostly kept him off balance and was able to use his guard to get back to his feet the way he always has. In this one, when Frankie got BJ down, that was pretty much it - he was down there getting elbowed up for the duration.

i didn't watch the fight. instead i just read the interview where the coach said that bending his legs made bj too tired.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
without watching the fight i would say that bj not being able to get up was a combination of frankie being able to get deeper on his shots and land in a better position for top control, improved top control from frankie, and bj not wanting to tucker himself out.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

without watching the fight i would say that bj not being able to get up was a combination of frankie being able to get deeper on his shots and land in a better position for top control, improved top control from frankie, and bj not wanting to tucker himself out.

It is very difficult to effectively use your guard when bending your legs is forbidden.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Telling BJ Penn to not use his stupidly bendy rubber legs is like telling Pettis to stop throwing spinning poo poo, Diaz to stop being a Diaz, Hunt to speak at length about his feelings and Jones to stop being a piece of poo poo.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Aurain posted:

Telling BJ Penn to not use his stupidly bendy rubber legs is like telling Pettis to stop throwing spinning poo poo, Diaz to stop being a Diaz, Hunt to speak at length about his feelings and Jones to stop being a piece of poo poo.

So you're saying it was 75% good advice?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bubba Smith posted:

those 4 are supposed to fight between the months of october to december, so UFC will be fine for those PPVs cause that's plenty. In that case Weidman and Ronda can be out until early next year and it doesn't hurt them much. If that Diaz vs Silva fight does go down in "early 2015" then that's already 1 PPV they really don't need a champion for.

Demetrious Johnson vs John Dodson II will also happen before the end of the year and i'm 99.9% sure it will happen on the December FOX card. Cause Dana said sure Mighty Mouse will headline a PPV again despite the bad buyrate, and maybe FOX is looking into using him again too what of it?

I'm not so sure about it. Cain and Pettis both seem like the types who get hurt in camp from going too hard. Hendrick I think will be on schedule as he seems to have a singular focus in proving to the world he beat GSP and the judges robbed him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I do think Cain Velasquez Never Fights, but he actually has recorded 1 fight every year since 08. Same with Pettis. My gut tells me that these guys are competitors and sorta bored with all the offtime and will fight with an injury if necessary since they have done so before. And since they're filming TUFs that are meaningful there is more pressure than usual for them to show up. Deeper in my gut tells me that unless you contract some sort of stomach virus like Mike Swick or you forget to eat your apples like Brock Lesnar you usually don't go a full year without fighting. So never have a bad stomach.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Where he was constantly humming along at 1/8th the energy level of a 200 year old wrestling golem

name one person who isn't a) mentally ill and playing for the cameras like mayhem or b) clay guida that can come close to matching the energy level of the ancient and irascible one

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Chael Sonnen was an entertaining coach because he gave a lot of motivational speeches. But he probably didn't tell the guys how much blood doping you need to do to fight for a world title.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
I didn't even know they had an effective test for determining HGH abuse that was inexpensive enough to use on someone who was already busted for being dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
BJ had a pretty traditional muay thai stance in his fight which is pretty weird because I don't really remember him ever doing that (or it ever really appearing in MMA in general). It's not popular in MMA because obviously you're standing straight up in the air with your feet basically touching which means you have next to no ability to defend takedowns because you basically can't sprawl and it's really easy to offset your center of balance. In practice this could have been deliberate from BJ if he favored his odds on the ground even off his back (although historically I don't know why he would think this) and was going to employ the benefits of the stance while standing.

In execution he just sort of looked like a kid who had never been in a fight before, and if 'moving with my knees bent' is too tiring for a person who quite frankly isn't really old enough to warrant that level of old-man fatigue I think the conclusion probably should have been 'I probably shouldn't be fighting', not 'how can i try to be in a fight while maintaining my resting heart rate'.

• Locked thread