Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

yeah but it's loving retarded how downloading 5 (or however many downloads they let you have per day, I forget) 10kb files counts the same as downloading 5 200Mb files.

I thought the Scandinavian Front mod had them but nope :( regardless TSF is a pretty cool mod, fly swedish planes against sowjets in a series of campaigns over the baltic from the 50s up to modern day :sweden:
http://combatace.com/files/file/14567-the-scandinavian-front-2/

If I plug it into a separate mod folder can it somehow merge with NF5 so I can access an even more retarded number of planes at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I guess you could copy the planes from the objects folder over but they won't show up in the campaigns unless you edit some files and I know nothing about that. might wanna copy the weapons over as well I guess, dunno. the only mod merging I've ever done is with smaller poo poo not huge mod packs.
e; and the decals, pilots, guns folders as well maybe. and some sounds and effects folders wherever they are. so a huge hassle and will probably end up with fuckups somewhere, have fun! :spooky:

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 6, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I've done the NF5/Scandinavia merge in the past, not a huge issue.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
So with SF2 & NATO, would I be able to do say... Ground attack campaigns? In Vietnam? Desert Storm? North Korea gone hot?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ruse posted:

So with SF2 & NATO, would I be able to do say... Ground attack campaigns? In Vietnam? Desert Storm? North Korea gone hot?

There's a separate desert storm mod, but I think that one would be harder to merge.

There's apparently a Korea campaign somewhere but I've never been able to find everything for it.

But yeah, ground attack is possible. Get the Campaign Editor DLC and fly a TU-22 Backfire. Win every mission by lobbing a nuclear cruise missile at your target from 50KM.

I once tried a strike mission with a nuclear equipped F101. Destroyed the runway I was supposed to bomb...and everything in a five mile radius.

Instant Medal of Honour :911:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kilonum posted:

I've done the NF5/Scandinavia merge in the past, not a huge issue.

Any particular tips? Or just copy the folders together?

Any other easily merged mods worth adding?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I assumed there'd be a bunch of conflicts with some files but if it works it works I guess. I just used different renamed exe's with the different mod folders back when I had several big mods running.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's a separate desert storm mod, but I think that one would be harder to merge.

There's apparently a Korea campaign somewhere but I've never been able to find everything for it.

But yeah, ground attack is possible. Get the Campaign Editor DLC and fly a TU-22 Backfire. Win every mission by lobbing a nuclear cruise missile at your target from 50KM.

I once tried a strike mission with a nuclear equipped F101. Destroyed the runway I was supposed to bomb...and everything in a five mile radius.

Instant Medal of Honour :911:
I've since gotten rid of the screenshots from it, but I once did a mission in a Tu-95 carrying a Tsar Bomba. I missed the airfield by like a kilometer and a half but still destroyed everything there and remotely nearby.

I was flying as high up as I could under that heavy of a load and still got caught in the blast radius. :ussr:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This last page has reminded me of playing loving USNF 97 with nukes modded in. It was the coolest poo poo for a 15 year old ever

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Why aren't there any modern combat flight sims with nukes anyway?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mike-o posted:

Why aren't there any modern combat flight sims with nukes anyway?

Because making a realistic believable FM is already hard enough without adding anything game breaking.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Megadyptes posted:

I thought the Scandinavian Front mod had them but nope :( regardless TSF is a pretty cool mod, fly swedish planes against sowjets in a series of campaigns over the baltic from the 50s up to modern day :sweden:
http://combatace.com/files/file/14567-the-scandinavian-front-2/
Funny you should mention that mod, since I used to have an install of that (before my old HDD failed) and that specific mod is actually how I came to find out that the Viggen is only available from Skunkworks since I thought it was strange that there was no Viggen and went looking for a model.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I've since gotten rid of the screenshots from it, but I once did a mission in a Tu-95 carrying a Tsar Bomba. I missed the airfield by like a kilometer and a half but still destroyed everything there and remotely nearby.

I was flying as high up as I could under that heavy of a load and still got caught in the blast radius. :ussr:
First time I fired a nuke in SF2 it was low altitude versus strike aircraft, and the thing failed to lock and just sort of limp-dicked into the ground:

INTERCEPT SUCCESSFUL :c00lbert:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Speaking of Strike Fighters 2, I feel obligated to pimp out SelenicMartian's LP thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573259

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Modded SF2 is the Saints Row IV of sims. My thread is nothing like that, if you don't count the landings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its a great thread. Except for the fact it convinced me not to get SF2. :v:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I remember an old game F/A-18 Korea that had nukes. I nuked the poo poo out of Seoul when I was a kid.

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!
Any sim recommended for carrier landings? Night time, pitching deck, no visibility, etc; the kind of thing that gives naval aviators nightmares.

How bad can you make the weather in DCS?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

dcs has the su-33, the carrier version of the su-27 and also that russian carrier/cruiser thing whatever the gently caress they call it that you can land on. in the editor you can set the wind to 50m/s which is pretty intense. sf2 and the addons have a poo poo on of planes including carrier ones and carriers. game's a but on the simpler side though but there's also about ten billion mods to add more poo poo including more carrier capable planes and more carriers.

only game I can think of that has proper modelling of flight ops was digital integration's old f/a-18e super hornet game. had dudes running around the flight deck waving their arms around and guiding you along and workable lifts I think. game's on gog but it doesn't run that great for me on my 64bit windows 7 system.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Insert name here posted:

First time I fired a nuke in SF2 it was low altitude versus strike aircraft, and the thing failed to lock and just sort of limp-dicked into the ground:

Well the Nuclear Falcon is still, at heart, a Falcon.

I wish SF2 had multiplayer. Unlimited ammo match, weapon sim setting hard, no guns, AIM-4D only :colbert:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the 1st generation of SF games had it (the one that's available now on steam) but it was dropped for the second gen :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Megadyptes posted:

I remember an old game F/A-18 Korea that had nukes. I nuked the poo poo out of Seoul when I was a kid.
There was also F-22 Lightning III, which had a tac nuke which, incidentally, shows up in the demo. "why do they only give you one bomb? How the hell am I supposed to kill anything with this? Oh well just going to drop it for funsies." -Me right after taking off

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Megadyptes posted:

the 1st generation of SF games had it (the one that's available now on steam) but it was dropped for the second gen :(
I think I read that that's because there were only like five people who ever used it. Which is too bad, because it's pretty much my ideal flight sim for realism vs arcadey, whether vs AI or vs other people.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Insert name here posted:

There was also F-22 Lightning III, which had a tac nuke which, incidentally, shows up in the demo. "why do they only give you one bomb? How the hell am I supposed to kill anything with this? Oh well just going to drop it for funsies." -Me right after taking off

I don't know how they ever expected anyone to buy the full game after that .

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

just flight have X-Plane 10 boxed 64bit on sale for £26.49 / €31.95 / $39.99
http://www.justflight.com/product/xplane-10-global-edition-64-bit
cheapest I've seen it so I finally picked up a copy, what poo poo should I download/buy while waiting for it to arrive?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It depends on if you want big jet planes or GA stuff. I usually like the latter and Carenado stuff is really nice and pops up on sale on x-plane.org quite a bit. There is a lot of pretty decent freeware these days as well.

Also Laminar just announced that the game will be available on Steam starting with the next patch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like the 727, CRJ-200, jet stream32, Cessna Corvallis tt. I've heard the 737-200 is great.

Stock baron isn't bad either.

jordguitar
Jul 7, 2008
FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BRING YOU TRAIN SIMULATOR 2014, NOW BRING YOU FLIGHT SIMULATOR X!

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2014/jul/9/dovetail-games-licensing-deal-with-microsoft-takes-flight

So that happened and FSX is going to hit steam later this year.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's kind of amazing how the flight sim community has been dragging the bloody corpse of FSX through the years.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Every add-on dev will probably need to pay a fee for having their add-on available for the Steam FSX, which will becone the norm in a year. Then there's the LM with their own FS branch, and Aerosoft is bound to move to X-plane now that this happened. What a glorious mess.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mokotow posted:

What a glorious mess.
It only needs a fork based on leaked sources for a full Falcon experience.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's kind of amazing how the flight sim community has been dragging the bloody corpse of FSX through the years.

It's the only flight sim you can legally have fun with anymore.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Flight Sim Megathread: No Fun Allowed

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

those train sim devs are a bunch of assholes, why did microsoft give them distribution rights

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Who would be better for the mantle, then?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Resurrect Microprose.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Thousands of dollars of payware based inertia will do that.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Resurrect Microprose.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Resurrect Microprose.