Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Wrong" is a funny word guys. What is "wrong" anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Is the occupation of another country wrong? How about launching airstrikes on civilians? I dunno, it's a complicated situation.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on your answer.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Israel did nothing wrong

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Kaal you're a psycho with no regard for human rights or morality or facts. Well, cheers

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

illrepute posted:

What I see is a worm trying to wriggle his way out his own rhetorical noose.

What noose? You propose a meaningless black and white take on a super complex 100-year conflict and then celebrate some kind of rhetorical victory when it is inevitably rejected? Ok sure, you "win".

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cool Bear posted:

It was only the minutes from some meeting where they discussed selling nuclear weapons to south africa, a government they were sympathetic to, unlike everyone else in the world. It wasn't a concrete offer. Lol at the insane nightmare hellscape we live in.

Like South Africa, Israel may someday find itself bereft of friends, and I'd like to remind them that just as they were brought into this world by a handful of western powers, they can easily (really super easily) be removed from it again by the same.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

super complex 100-year conflict

Thankfully there is a simple solution: everybody dies in a self-destructive orgy.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

What noose? You propose a meaningless black and white take on a super complex 100-year conflict and then celebrate some kind of rhetorical victory when it is inevitably rejected? Ok sure, you "win".

It's definitely not meaningless to apply moral judgment to a situation in which a superior military force, as you've yourself stated, is inflicting vastly disproportionate casualties on civilian populations, refuses to negotiate ceasefires in good faith, and then continues to demand it be recognized as moral. So I'm going to ask you again, is it wrong?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

How is that any more black and white than "We're stronger than Palestinians, so history has decreed us to be their masters"?

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
So essentially you are taking the Melian dialogue stance in terms of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and saying the weaker should just submit in totality to the stronger?

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Kaal posted:

There is no support for the one state solution, either in Palestine or in Israel. It's a Western idea that was engendered by Truman back in the Forties, and it will stay in the West.

The One State Solution is the logical fallback if the Two State solution doesn't work. Unless you can tell me about a third way that settles this conflict?

People gravitate towards the most realistic humane outcome for war. When the two state solution becomes is as likely as America giving Palestine it's own homeland, they are naturally going to support the next best alternative.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ReidRansom posted:

Like South Africa, Israel may someday find itself bereft of friends, and I'd like to remind them that just as they were brought into this world by a handful of western powers, they can easily (really super easily) be removed from it again by the same.

Israel was brought into the world after 50 years of trying and two world wars. And they are now far, far more entrenched than the Arabs ever were. How are you planning to replicate those conditions?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ReidRansom posted:

I don't think it's going to be that easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Option

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

Israel was brought into the world after 50 years of trying and two world wars. And they are now far, far more entrenched than the Arabs ever were. How are you planning to replicate those conditions?

Probably the same way other Apartheid governments, other totalitarian, sectarian governments did: protests, insurrection, and blood. Hopefully they'll take the South Africa option before they become even more a pariah. Because in twenty years we won't be comparing Israel to South Africa, we'll be comparing South Africa to Israel.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

This would be the No State Solution

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Kaal posted:

Lol, you really have lapsed into a straight-up villainous monologue.

"You're too late to stop us! MWah ha ha ha!"

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
hey look Kaal is posting in an IP thread, his goal surely isn't to derail discussion long enough to get the thread gassed no siree

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Pleasant Friend posted:

The One State Solution is the logical fallback if the Two State solution doesn't work. Unless you can tell me about a third way that settles this conflict? People gravitate towards the most realistic humane outcome for war. When the two state solution becomes is as likely as America giving Palestine it's own homeland, they are naturally going to support the next best alternative.

But it isn't actually realistic. It's a solution that has no advocates and contains immense challenges. It might seem like a nice idea for a multiethnic state with power-sharing and all that, but the idea hasn't been seriously considered for the last decade. So who is going to implement it?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Kaal posted:

The alternative will be the continuation of the slow expansion of Israeli borders.

We have to keep stealing their land because

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Kaal posted:

Haha, I love the implied threat in this. We're far more...entrenched, which when translated into Human, reads "if you try to interfere with our ethnic cleansing we'll kill you too."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

illrepute posted:

Probably the same way other Apartheid governments, other totalitarian, sectarian governments did: protests, insurrection, and blood. Hopefully they'll take the South Africa option before they become even more a pariah. Because in twenty years we won't be comparing Israel to South Africa, we'll be comparing South Africa to Israel.

So ... not easily and by a handful of Western powers then?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pleasant Friend posted:

The One State Solution is the logical fallback if the Two State solution doesn't work. Unless you can tell me about a third way that settles this conflict?
The Zero State Solution. :getin:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The apparent position of the Only Democracy in the Middle East:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeygAfQgODg

"You know I hosed you, but what chu gonna do about it?"

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Kaal posted:

So ... not easily and by Western powers then?

Well, World War 2 wasn't easy, but it did at least destroy Nazi Germany. Hopefully a similar international coalition will summon the strength of will to destroy the fascist, racist nightmare state your government is so desperately trying to become.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kaal posted:

No planning to it. Israel can't survive on its own, and it's actions are turning a lot of the younger generations in its allies against it. Some day those people will be running things, and if Israel doesn't change its trajectory, all its support is going to dry up, and then you're hosed, whether you piss off your former friends enough to directly engage you or not.

e: seriously. North Korea is more resource-rich and less crazy, and they just barely hang on. You lose your friends, you're toast.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eh, I know about it, but it's a bunch of chest puffery.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 11, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Enjoy posted:

This would be the No State Solution

Unfortunately, I believe the Israeli is crazy enough to do it.

Edit: Government! the Israeli government!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

McDowell posted:

Thankfully there is a simple solution: everybody dies in a self-destructive orgy.

Doctor Dog
Sep 6, 2008

On a lighter note, some wacky hasbara.

Elephants shield young from rockets

quote:

While Israelis in the Tel Aviv area have been running for cover and crouching on the sides of highways when alarm sirens blared in recent days to warn of incoming rockets, the animals in Israel’s zoos had nowhere to go

I swear these animal stories pop up every time Israel bombs Gaza. They can't even muster a human tragedy, think of the poor critters scared by sirens :ohdear:

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

So ... not easily and by a handful of Western powers then?

I don't think you understand the power that Western sanctions had on influencing South African policy and pushing them toward accepting majority rule.

Anyway, are you going to answer my question?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Why are you guys trying to make rhetorical arguments to trick or shame Kaal into answering a simple yes/no question when the entire point of him posting here is to avoid doing so?

He's as much as stated that Israel is the aggressor already and admitted that, yes, Israel has a right to kill every last Palestinian simply because Israel is more powerful. He's monstrously wrong, but all debating him will result in is more questions and deflections on his part.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Yes, we forcibly sterilized thousands of African immigrants without their consent. Apartheid state? What are you, crazy?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Doctor Dog posted:

I swear these animal stories pop up every time Israel bombs Gaza. They can't even muster a human tragedy, think of the poor critters scared by sirens :ohdear:

Hey! You know who else is crying out in fear and putting their arms around their children? Palestinians in Gaza, some of whom will be dead soon, along with their entire families.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Doctor Dog posted:

As usual, don't read the comments.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

A Terrible Person posted:

Why are you guys trying to make rhetorical arguments to trick or shame Kaal into answering a simple yes/no question when the entire point of him posting here is to avoid doing so?

He's as much as stated that Israel is the aggressor already and admitted that, yes, Israel has a right to kill every last Palestinian simply because Israel is more powerful. He's monstrously wrong, but all debating him will result in is more questions and deflections on his part.

We have to assume other posters are arguing in good faith, even if there's no reason to assume so. Anyway I was going to wait a bit to post this but since you've beaten me to the punch I'll go ahead and do it:

Kaal, you can't answer my question. You literally can't condemn Israel directly, even though you've done it by way of implication and handwaving. Every argument you've presented has been to deflect the conversation away from Israel, to put the onus on the Palestinians, to do anything but discuss the monstrosity of the situation. The fact that you've been reduced to this really shows how desperate you've become. You can't even argue that the IDF is in the right, only that they are too strong to be challenged (which itself falsehood, obviously) and must be appeased. It's time to pack it in, man. There's no shame in defeat, unless the dudes you're fighting against are armed with rocks.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

A Terrible Person posted:

No argument is going to convince a committed fascist. The more you bring up how untenable his position is, the more entrenched he becomes in the belief that the only solution is the complete extermination of the enemy. Any objection you bring up is just going to sound like one more annoyance that will simply go away once the enemy no longer exists.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

illrepute posted:

We have to assume other posters are arguing in good faith, even if there's no reason to assume so. Anyway I was going to wait a bit to post this but since you've beaten me to the punch I'll go ahead and do it:

Kaal, you can't answer my question. You literally can't condemn Israel directly, even though you've done it by way of implication and handwaving. Every argument you've presented has been to deflect the conversation away from Israel, to put the onus on the Palestinians, to do anything but discuss the monstrosity of the situation. The fact that you've been reduced to this really shows how desperate you've become. You can't even argue that the IDF is in the right, only that they are too strong to be challenged (which itself falsehood, obviously) and must be appeased. It's time to pack it in, man. There's no shame in defeat, unless the dudes you're fighting against are armed with rocks.

Your position here is absurd. It's like asking if the American Civil War was wrong, or whether WWII was wrong. Those aren't legitimate questions. So go ahead and call me a fascist or whatever for disagreeing with you, but realize that you can't reduce a conflict to yes/no right/wrong black/white.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

Your position here is absurd. It's like asking if the American Civil War was wrong, or whether WWII was wrong. Those aren't legitimate questions. So go ahead and call me a fascist or whatever for disagreeing with you, but realize that you can't reduce a conflict to yes/no right/wrong black/white.

I'm not going to call you a fascist, Kaal, I just want you to state in front of everyone that with the available information, that you cannot determine whether or not Israeli airstrikes killing civilians is wrong.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Kaal posted:

No, it's like asking if the Confederacy or Nazi Germany was wrong. Christ.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kaal posted:

It's not legitimate to suggest Hitler was wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How has Kaal not been probated? Like this is some of the most heinous poo poo, like it's not even a manner if political disagreement it's vile awfulness.

• Locked thread