Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Volkerball posted:

It's not legitimate to suggest Hitler was wrong?

"Well he really had the right idea except for the whole anti-Jew thing" <-- 21st century fascists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

illrepute posted:

I don't think you understand the power that Western sanctions had on influencing South African policy and pushing them toward accepting majority rule.

Yeah, basically even relatively mild sanctions from the US and EU would destroy their economy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Was Custer wrong? I mean yes, but he had to get that paper. He had to get famous before the rest of his hair fell out. What was he supposed to do, not kill Indians to get famous?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Kaal posted:

Your position here is absurd. It's like asking if the American Civil War was wrong, or whether WWII was wrong. Those aren't legitimate questions. So go ahead and call me a fascist or whatever for disagreeing with you, but realize that you can't reduce a conflict to yes/no right/wrong black/white.

It's more like asking if the US Government was wrong in its quest to exterminate the Native Americans.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Palestinian people: These landlords are a pain in my rear end and I read this book by Marx it's going to- wait shh the landlords

Ottoman empire: People, we have a great opportunity to attack our greatest old enemy, Russia. Let's join their weird dumb war for our gain

Palestinian people: Ugh

*millions die*

British: Righto chap well we mustnt have these belligerent war-starters continuing to exist. I say let's create new countries and agree on their borders and such and go from there.

Several distant wealthy nations holding all the worlds power: Sounds good whatever

Jewish people who deserved something good for a change: Yoink *immediately oppresses ethnic locals economically and violently*

Nearby Arabs: *eyes widen with rage*

Legitimate Israeli state: What is your problem wtf

United States: We need a reliable strategic presence there, let's see what thousands of deadly explosions can accomplish

edit: i don't know enough about why this random form of racism exists against jews but i don't want anyone to think i have that so i edited out the "IZC" word which is fine if thats what anyone wants. someone mentioned it i dont know, but could you imagine if i was all like 'dont impede my freedom of speech to say that' lol

Cool Bear fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 11, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
As the machine guns fire into the crowd of Indians at Wounded Knee, a Lakota mother pleads with the US cavalry commander to have mercy. "Your position here is absurd," replies the 7th Cavalry colonel. "How am I supposed to judge the morality of this situation. It's like asking if the Israeli occupation of Palestine is wrong"

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

I don't think it's cool to bring up Zionist Conspiracies, even if it's just in name.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

illrepute posted:

I don't think it's cool to bring up Zionist Conspiracies, even if it's just in name.
Kaal brought the thread past the point of no return it's all poo poo and we're going to fester in it until Israel decides it's time for a ground invasion again.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-15KBICWiQ

Jack Torrance: Good. I want you to like it here. I wish we could stay here forever... and ever... and ever.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

There weren't Palestinians on lawn chairs chugging mountain dew celebrating the loss of some warehouse you loving monster.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Sitting in lawn chairs and laughing at bombs going off is not a healthy human response you goddamn psychopath.

A common symptom of PTSD is risk-seeking behavior, so this might not be a healthy response, but it sure is a human one.

And before someone makes another fireworks comparison, a threat need only be percieved to be real in order to potentially cause PTSD.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kaal brought the thread past the point of no return it's all poo poo and we're going to fester in it until Israel decides it's time for a ground invasion again.

I hope the thread isn't closed if Israel actually does go into Gaza, because it actually would provide a lot of stuff to talk about considering the implications and what this means for the future of the region (considering the current wars).

If any mods are reading this (I'm getting on my knees and pleading you don't probate me), consider this proposal: turn this thread into a thunderdome for as long as hostilities in Gaza persist. It'll be like d&d fight club, and a good way to blow off steam.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

tatankatonk posted:

As the machine guns fire into the crowd of Indians at Wounded Knee, a Lakota mother pleads with the US cavalry commander to have mercy. "Your position here is absurd," replies the 7th Cavalry colonel. "How am I supposed to judge the morality of this situation. It's like asking if the Israeli occupation of Palestine is wrong"

Pleading Lakota mother: "Whoa now, maybe we should agree not to bring up controversial subjects like the Israeli occupation of Palestine" *takes 2 Walker Colt pistol balls to the dome*

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kaal posted:

Oh I agree that it isn't a tolerable existence, but that still isn't going to make them Israeli citizens. History is pretty clear about life not being fair. Which is again why Palestinians need to seek out a peace process, and it's also why there's little support amongst the Palestinian population for further violence.

"Life's not fair" is an acceptable thing to say when you're powerless to do anything. When it's you that's slaughtering civilians and you say life's not fair that just makes you a sociopath with a cruel sense of humor, hth

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

illrepute posted:

I hope the thread isn't closed if Israel actually does go into Gaza, because it actually would provide a lot of stuff to talk about considering the implications and what this means for the future of the region (considering the current wars).

If any mods are reading this (I'm getting on my knees and pleading you don't probate me), consider this proposal: turn this thread into a thunderdome for as long as hostilities in Gaza persist. It'll be like d&d fight club, and a good way to blow off steam.

If/once an invasion happens, the thread will shift gears from arguing points to discussing developments on the ground, so as long as there's a legitimate threat of that happening, it's not worth closing it just yet.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

I forget his name but one of the first famous authors to popularize the term Zionism as the desire to create a Jewish homeland somewhere said they should do it in argentina in some place geographically similar to ancient israel because people already lived in palestine at that time, the late 1800s, and it would end up with rude things happening to them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

JeffersonClay posted:

A common symptom of PTSD is risk-seeking behavior, so this might not be a healthy response, but it sure is a human one.

Sitting in lawn chairs watching people get bombed in the distance is not risk seeking behavior.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Cool Bear posted:

I forget his name but one of the first famous authors to popularize the term Zionism as the desire to create a Jewish homeland somewhere said they should do it in argentina in some place geographically similar to ancient israel because people already lived in palestine at that time, the late 1800s, and it would end up with rude things happening to them.

The Soviets created a Jewish Autonomous Oblast in Siberia, the Americans came close to putting one in the Inside Passage of Alaska. Not great locations, but I'd certainly take Siberia over the war-torn ruins of Gaza.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kaal posted:

If you think those are yes/no questions, then you lack the political awareness to be talking about conflict.

They're both wrong you loving sociopath. Two wrongs don't make a right, if you've been wronged it doesn't magically turn bad things you do good.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

XK posted:

Sitting in lawn chairs watching people get bombed in the distance is not risk seeking behavior.

JeffersonClay posted:

And before someone makes another fireworks comparison, a threat need only be perceived to be real in order to potentially cause PTSD.

And similarly, a risk need only be perceived to be real to become the target of risk-seeking behavior.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cool Bear posted:

Thedor Herzl?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_New_Land

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JeffersonClay posted:

And similarly, a risk need only be perceived to be real to become the target of risk-seeking behavior.

So anything, thanks for clearing that up

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

illrepute posted:

The Soviets created a Jewish Autonomous Oblast in Siberia, the Americans came close to putting one in the Inside Passage of Alaska. Not great locations, but I'd certainly take Siberia over the war-torn ruins of Gaza.

It's not even that desolate, it's the same latitude as Paris.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

It's not even that desolate, it's the same latitude as Paris.

There's this thing called the jet stream, it's kinda a big deal.

daft
Oct 16, 2012

Cool Bear posted:

Palestinian people: These landlords are a pain in my rear end and I read this book by Marx it's going to- wait shh the landlords

Ottoman empire: People, we have a great opportunity to attack our greatest old enemy, Russia. Let's join their weird dumb war for our gain

Palestinian people: Ugh

*millions die*

British: Righto chap well we mustnt have these belligerent war-starters continuing to exist. I say let's create new countries and agree on their borders and such and go from there.

Several distant wealthy nations holding all the worlds power: Sounds good whatever

International Zionist Conspiracy: Yoink no takebacks lol *immediately oppresses ethnic locals economically and violently*

Nearby Arabs: *eyes widen with rage*

Legitimate Israeli state: What is your problem wtf

United States: We need a reliable strategic presence there, let's see what thousands of deadly explosions can accomplish

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There's this thing called the jet stream, it's kinda a big deal.

There's one helping out the west coast, too. That part of Alaska, Sitka, is 40s to 60s year round.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

JeffersonClay posted:

And before someone makes another fireworks comparison, a threat need only be percieved to be real in order to potentially cause PTSD.

You know, it can be understood why they did that, and rightfully condemned. But at least understood.

Trying to write it off and excuse it as PTSD? Risk seeking behavior? They're gloating in death and destruction, and what they suffer plays a role in that, but come on.

You might as well excuse anyone firing a rocket or mortar at cities in Israel. They probably have a whole lot more "PTSD" notes from their doctor (if there was adequate health care, of course).

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

Wait is someone seriously trying to use some super twisted logic in order to argue that that pic of Israelis sitting outside watching the fireworks is evidence that they're victims of PTSD? Is this for real?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Volkerball posted:

It's not legitimate to suggest Hitler was wrong?

That's a different question. It's specific and direct and leads to some kind of meaningful conversation. And even then, I don't think that you'd get much value out of reducing Hitler to a yes/no question. Asking if WWII as an entire concept is wrong is a different thing entirely - it's just too broad to reduce to wrong or right. It had elements of both. And you can see that in how the alternate questions people have tried to pose have been much more specific and pointed. FourLeaf didn't ask, "Was American expansionism wrong", he instead preferred, "Was the American quest to exterminate Native Americans wrong". Totally different question (though probably equally uninformative due to its simplicity).

Similarly, trying to paint the entire Israeli occupation as wrong or right, which could go back 100 years in some people's minds, is a meaningless exercise in point-scoring. It's precisely the kind of terrible team-spirit rah-rahing that these threads have such a tendency toward. Even trying to narrow it down to specific events is problematic. Was Cast Lead right or wrong? Was the Second Intifada right or wrong? They clearly have elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes and no terms is argumentative reductionism, and only leads to people adopting extremely narrow perspectives.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 11, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Kaal posted:

Similarly, trying to paint the entire Israeli occupation as wrong or right, which could go back 100 years in some people's minds, is a meaningless exercise in point-scoring.

I don't think so, Tim.

It's actually important to the argument you were making- that Palestinians should surrender to avoid suffering even further loss of life and bloodshed at the hands of the Israelis. Isn't Israel, by putting them in that position, that you argued they should be prepared to surrender to escape, wrong?

Answer me.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kaal posted:

That's a different question. It's specific and direct and leads to some kind of meaningful conversation. Asking if WWII as an entire concept is wrong is a different thing entirely - it's just too broad to reduce to wrong or right. It had elements of both. Similarly, trying to paint the entire Israeli occupation as wrong or right, which could go back 100 years in some people's minds, is a meaningless exercise in point-scoring. It's precisely the kind of terrible team-spirit rah-rahing that these threads have such a tendency toward. Even trying to narrow it down to specific events is problematic. Was Cast Lead right or wrong? Was the Second Intifada right or wrong? They clearly have elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes and no terms is argumentative reductionism, and only leads to people adopting extremely narrow perspectives.

:laffo:

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

That's a different question. It's specific and direct and leads to some kind of meaningful conversation. Asking if WWII as an entire concept is wrong is a different thing entirely - it's just too broad to reduce to wrong or right. It had elements of both. Similarly, trying to paint the entire Israeli occupation as wrong or right, which could go back 100 years in some people's minds, is a meaningless exercise in point-scoring. It's precisely the kind of terrible team-spirit rah-rahing that these threads have such a tendency toward. Even trying to narrow it down to specific events is problematic. Was Cast Lead right or wrong? Was the Second Intifada right or wrong? They clearly have elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes and no terms is argumentative reductionism, and only leads to people adopting extremely narrow perspectives.

So Nazi Germany putting the undesirables into concentration camps was just a matter of perspective. Cool.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Kaal posted:

That's a different question. It's specific and direct and leads to some kind of meaningful conversation. Asking if WWII as an entire concept is wrong is a different thing entirely - it's just too broad to reduce to wrong or right. It had elements of both. And you can see that in how the alternate questions people have tried to pose have been much more specific and pointed. FourLeaf didn't ask, "Was American expansionism wrong", he instead preferred, "Was the American quest to exterminate Native Americans wrong". Totally different question (though probably equally uninformative due to its simplicity).

Similarly, trying to paint the entire Israeli occupation as wrong or right, which could go back 100 years in some people's minds, is a meaningless exercise in point-scoring. It's precisely the kind of terrible team-spirit rah-rahing that these threads have such a tendency toward. Even trying to narrow it down to specific events is problematic. Was Cast Lead right or wrong? Was the Second Intifada right or wrong? They clearly have elements of both. Trying to cast super broad concepts in yes and no terms is argumentative reductionism, and only leads to people adopting extremely narrow perspectives.

Was the Holocaust right or wrong?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

quote:

"Was American expansionism wrong"
Yes.

quote:

"Was the American quest to exterminate Native Americans wrong"
Yes.

quote:

Was Cast Lead right or wrong?
Wrong.

quote:

Was the Second Intifada right or wrong?
Wrong.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kaal posted:

we're not talking about hypothetical people with constantly shifting opinions that are rhetorically convenient for you, it's been defined very clearly by the people you refuse to give a direct answer. Is Israel's occupation of the west bank in violation of the internationally agreed upon 1967 borders wrong? yes or no

in fact, just to make it easier for you, you can answer the question is killing of civilians wrong?

the answer is yes. no other factor or event makes that right, no matter the rightness or wrongness of those events. funny how morality works isn't it

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 11, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kaal posted:

That's a different question. It's specific and direct and leads to some kind of meaningful conversation. And even then, I don't think that you'd get much value out of reducing Hitler to a yes/no question. Asking if WWII as an entire concept is wrong is a different thing entirely - it's just too broad to reduce to wrong or right. It had elements of both. And you can see that in how the alternate questions people have tried to pose have been much more specific and pointed. FourLeaf didn't ask, "Was American expansionism wrong", he instead preferred, "Was the American quest to exterminate Native Americans wrong". Totally different question (though probably equally uninformative due to its simplicity).

Or just, you know, yes.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I'm curious about Kaal's idea of what a Palestinian surrender looks like. Is it a full acceptance of every current settlement and mind control such that there's no individual violent outlash against any Israeli Jew, ever again? Even if the idea of an unconditional surrender made any sense when talking about a disaffected, fragmented population and not a military force, how would that state of affairs differ from the status quo?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Additionally, I'd love to hear your complexities that make the American quest to exterminate Indians even halfway Right, Kaal.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

tatankatonk posted:

Additionally, I'd love to hear your complexities that make the American quest to exterminate Indians even halfway Right, Kaal.
Lebensraum. :pseudo:

This belief that nothing in history can be objectively good or bad is weird. Some things are debated to this day and have pros and cons within their historical context. Then there are things that were overwhelmingly bad and to insist that they can't be considered "bad" is dishonest or outright stupid.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 11, 2014

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Well you see there was no civilized legal system which registered the native Americans as the private owners of the land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Kaal posted:

So far we've got roughly 86 dead (almost certainly more by now) and over 500 wounded by Israeli military action. Versus what, still, 3(?) dead Israelis on what evidence that it was Hamas exactly? It certainly wasn't Palestinians as a whole. When does it become okay to say one side might just be horrifically wrong here?

e: Even Germany felt bad at 7-1...sorry Germany, but I had to abuse you to hopefully slightly lighten the mood. I/P is a depressant.

hobotrashcanfires fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread