Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

13. If you ever see anyone singing the national anthem in Spanish -
KICK THEIR rear end.

Yeah, gently caress Freedom of Speech! In America I may not like what you say, so I'll defend to the death my right to kick your rear end for saying it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alterian posted:

The frustratingly mad thing about this is a lot of times women who get an abortion around 12 weeks are doing it because their 12 week scan came back really bad. This happened to a friend of mine. She wanted the baby, but was told it wouldn't be born alive so she went through with an abortion. Having poo poo like this shoved in her face isn't what she needed at an already hard time in her life.

No, it needs to be a super deformed 12 week old fetus.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Nostradingus posted:

Some moron got hold of my office email and has been sending me poo poo like this.

Related to Rule 13, the Smithsonian American History Museum had a really good exhibit last year on Clotilde Arias, the woman who created the official Spanish translation of the Star Spangled Banner. Unfortunately it's over, but the online portion is still extant.
http://americanhistory.si.edu/documentsgallery/exhibitions/arias/index.html

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

quote:

Rules for the Non-Military

(Make sure you read #13 twice) I added one at the bottom.

Dear Civilians, we know that the current state of affairs in our great nation has many civilians up in arms and excited to join the military.

There are literally none of these on the list that I find even vaguely warranting an rear end-kicking, and most of them not at all. I have a slight inclination towards people taking their hats off for the national anthem, but that's only for people that are actually into it but just being oblivious. If someone wants to remain seated and hat on for personal or religious reasons I could give a gently caress, I just find it slightly silly when people who are all gung-ho and judgmental overlook a commonly-agreed ceremonial gesture. Hell, I don't put my hand on the heart for the anthem because a) that's a civilian thing and b) it's vaguely fascist. But personally I'll stand up out of general courtesy over the custom.

More importantly, the list has jack about :
- Support politicians who emphasize having proper during and post-military mental health services available, and take seriously the issue of sexual assault in the military.
- Lend your political support to measured and reasoned approaches to military applications and resist jingoism and adventurism
- Refrain from glorifying warfare and violence, keep in mind the practical and human cost to all sides
- Asking someone you barely know if they killed anyone in the war is pretty drat invasive unless you have an awfully good context

Not to be all preachy, but it's galling to see a claimed vitally important list of things to do for vets, that has not one single substantive of significant thing above petty culture-war bullshit. And coincidentally no actual financial, political, or spiritual demand on the reader other than "keep this in mind" or "kick his rear end".

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Nostradingus posted:

Some moron got hold of my office email and has been sending me poo poo like this.
So basically what he's saying is, military people are horrible and always looking for an excuse to beat you up and you should never, ever go near them if you can help it. I'm not a super-patriotic flag-waver guy, but unlike whoever wrote that I'm willing to give our troops :911: the benefit of the doubt and not assume they're going to assault me over the tiniest perceived sleight.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, gently caress Freedom of Speech! In America I may not like what you say, so I'll defend to the death my right to kick your rear end for saying it!

It's not like the US owns any territory that is predominately Spanish speaking

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I'd like to thank all the vets today for preserving my freedom. I will no longer use any of them for fear of a beating by the vets, but, nevertheless, thank you.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I wonder where all those "kick your rear end for not supplicating hard enough to vets" guys are when Bergdahl is being discussed. Must be in the other room.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

OAquinas posted:

I wonder where all those "kick your rear end for not supplicating hard enough to vets" guys are when Bergdahl is being discussed. Must be in the other room.

Nah, man, that poo poo don't apply to traitors. Kick Bergdahl's rear end, too!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OAquinas posted:

>>Real patriots would never let themselves get captured. They'd first get the ball at the top of the flagpole, eat the grain of rice so they wouldn't be hungry, tear the >>flag to shreds so it couldn't get captured, then shoot themselves with the bullet.

>Semper Fi

><> ps cLOSE tHE bOARDERS

I bet OBAMA won't let this one get spread around. - Stan
>>>>>>>> OMG u should try this it really works: Bil gates says that for every person who forwards this post he will give a THOUSAND $DOllars

CONTENTS OF THIS EMAIL ARE PRIVATE AND SPECIFIC TO THE PERSON FOR WHOM IT WAS INTENDED

>Ooo-rah!

n a mixing bowl, mix sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Fold dry ingredients into wet mixture and blend well. Fold in carrots and chopped nuts until well blended. Distribute batter evenly into 3 (9-inch) cake layer pans, which have been generously greased. There will be approximately 1 pound 5 ounces of batter per pan. Place in preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool layers in pans, for approximately 1 hour. Store layers in pans, inverted, in closed cupboard to prevent drying. Layers must be a minimum of 1 day old.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A few things:

When it comes to the National Anthem, I stand with my hands behind me. I am an assistant coach of a girl's basketball team and I have had people come up and ask me why I do not put my hand on my heart. It was honestly how I was raised and I leave it at that.

Alterian posted:

The frustratingly mad thing about this is a lot of times women who get an abortion around 12 weeks are doing it because their 12 week scan came back really bad. This happened to a friend of mine. She wanted the baby, but was told it wouldn't be born alive so she went through with an abortion. Having poo poo like this shoved in her face isn't what she needed at an already hard time in her life.

I just had a person post this earlier today. I just linked the snopes article disproving it. This is what she responded with:
"This picture may not be accurate but its the idea. I'd like the thank the woman (whoever you are) who chose life for my husband [insert name, he was adopted], God has truly blessed me and my family."

She never thinks about people like your friend or my wife. My wife had already had one miscarriage in June, We found out in November that she was pregnant again but by the beginning of December, we had found out that there was no growth. They told her that if she continued on with the pregnancy, it could lead to it becoming toxic for her and making her infertile. We had an extremely hard decision to make but we went and had a D&C. It crushed my wife to the point where if she even saw a baby on television, she cried. I could only imagine if she had seen and read an image like that.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

OAquinas posted:

I saw this shared several times on my Facebook today. Lots of people are convinced that Bergdahl is some sort of super-traitor who gave Al Qaeda a million nuclear weapons and coordinates to every piece of US military hardware in the world, or something I don't know.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Soviet Commubot posted:

I saw this shared several times on my Facebook today. Lots of people are convinced that Bergdahl is some sort of super-traitor who gave Al Qaeda a million nuclear weapons and coordinates to every piece of US military hardware in the world, or something I don't know.

Captured an E-3? Great gods, now AQ has access to vital insights into how mean SFC Johnson is, how everyone hates the Black Bean Burrito MRE, and America's most closely-held dick jokes.

EDIT: I also love the assumption that in a country that's been at war since 1978, they desperately need a kid from Idaho to teach them how to blow up armored vehicles.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 11, 2014

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

There are literally none of these on the list that I find even vaguely warranting an rear end-kicking, and most of them not at all. I have a slight inclination towards people taking their hats off for the national anthem, but that's only for people that are actually into it but just being oblivious. If someone wants to remain seated and hat on for personal or religious reasons I could give a gently caress, I just find it slightly silly when people who are all gung-ho and judgmental overlook a commonly-agreed ceremonial gesture. Hell, I don't put my hand on the heart for the anthem because a) that's a civilian thing and b) it's vaguely fascist. But personally I'll stand up out of general courtesy over the custom.

More importantly, the list has jack about :
- Support politicians who emphasize having proper during and post-military mental health services available, and take seriously the issue of sexual assault in the military.
- Lend your political support to measured and reasoned approaches to military applications and resist jingoism and adventurism
- Refrain from glorifying warfare and violence, keep in mind the practical and human cost to all sides
- Asking someone you barely know if they killed anyone in the war is pretty drat invasive unless you have an awfully good context

Not to be all preachy, but it's galling to see a claimed vitally important list of things to do for vets, that has not one single substantive of significant thing above petty culture-war bullshit. And coincidentally no actual financial, political, or spiritual demand on the reader other than "keep this in mind" or "kick his rear end".

I find it hilarious, in the military you do not remove your cover (hat) for the national anthem/taps/revelry you face the music and salute if you are in uniform, otherwise you stand at attention facing the music (hat or no hat). The rant sounds less like it comes from someone who ever actually served and more like the ravings some chickenhawk military fetishist to me.

Skex fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 11, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Nostradingus posted:

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE! 
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them! 

This part made me double take. It's seriously disturbing that an American patriot could write this unironically. "Support the junta or go before a firing squad" -conservative American values

Edit: I wonder if these military fetishists realize that B. Hussein Obama is the commander in chief of the military. He's the number one military guy. Super king of the military. Every soldier from top to bottom has the ultimate duty to enact the will of our Marxist Muslim Emperor.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 11, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Bloodnose posted:

This part made me double take. It's seriously disturbing that an American patriot could write this unironically. "Support the junta or go before a firing squad" -conservative American values

Edit: I wonder if these military fetishists realize that B. Hussein Obama is the commander in chief of the military. He's the number one military guy. Super king of the military. Every soldier from top to bottom has the ultimate duty to enact the will of our Marxist Muslim Emperor.

I'm pretty sure the actual military does recognize it.

http://terminallance.com/2013/05/17/terminal-lance-presidential-service/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's why they refer to him as the Usurper in Chief.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Ashcans posted:

That's why they refer to him as the Usurper in Chief.

Usurper: n, one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another.

additional conservative definition: One who wins a legal election.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

gatesealer posted:

Usurper: n, one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another.

additional conservative definition: One who wins a legal election.

Duh. A black guy could never win an election. I don't know anyone who voted for him, so obviously nobody actually did.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CellBlock posted:

Duh. A black guy could never win an election. I don't know anyone who voted for him, so obviously nobody actually did.

Black people did. In fact, they voted for him only because he was black (note: I actually had some milquetoast centrist unironically tell me this the other day).

It's a well known fact that every black person was juuuuuust about to vote for McCain (or Romney) when they suddenly noticed Obama is black.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Skex posted:

I find it hilarious, in the military you do not remove your cover (hat) for the national anthem/taps/revelry you face the music and salute if you are in uniform, otherwise you stand at attention facing the music (hat or no hat). The rant sounds less like it comes from someone who ever actually served and more like the ravings some chickenhawk military fetishist to me.

In the Marines at least, saluting without a cover is completely verboten, so on some weird level it really bothers me seeing civilians without a cover on saluting by bringing their bladed hand to their bare head. And civilians saluting while wearing a ballcap or whatever just seems kinda silly. But those are purely subcultural things, I don't have any deep abiding emotion about it.

If for whatever weird reason I ever held a civil position like congressman where military guys are supposed to salute me, I'd feel pretty weird returning their salutes bare-headed. I've occasionally had old vets in civvies salute me after some discussion of military stuff, so I returned that in civvie so as not to be a dick but I felt really silly.

In any case, I think just standing up quietly when everyone else does works fine for general observation of the custom, or sitting quietly if you have a personal objection. Barring people being oblivious and just yacking away when 95% of people are standing or silent for flag/anthem/Taps I find annoying, mostly because they're dicks in US flag t-shirts who are presumably into this kind of thing.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 11, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If somebody tells you you're a traitor for not putting your hand over your heart for whatever patriotic thing, tell them real Americans don't hide their heart from America with their hand. I mean, why not?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If somebody tells you you're a traitor for not putting your hand over your heart for whatever patriotic thing, tell them real Americans don't hide their heart from America with their hand. I mean, why not?

I'll put my hand over my heart when we actually get a decent national anthem. Whenever you hear someone tell you to rise for the Star-Spangled Banner, your first thought isn't "gently caress yeah, the Star-Spangled Banner!", it's "Great, now we gotta sit through the loving Star-Spangled Banner."

I have an idea for a suitable replacement, though. :911:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Blarghalt posted:

I'll put my hand over my heart when we actually get a decent national anthem. Whenever you hear someone tell you to rise for the Star-Spangled Banner, your first thought isn't "gently caress yeah, the Star-Spangled Banner!", it's "Great, now we gotta sit through the loving Star-Spangled Banner."

Superior idea for a replacement. :911: :patriot:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

:bahgawd: Obama already stole that one from us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbS-1N0TkRg

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Blarghalt posted:

And how many people can sing it, really? It's a drat brutal song to sing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

If for whatever weird reason I ever held a civil position like congressman where military guys are supposed to salute me, I'd feel pretty weird returning their salutes bare-headed.

I'm not sure you're supposed to salute back in that case. The military is subject to the civilian leadership, although Congress isn't in the direct chain of command like the president was. I recently read someone's (Rachel Maddow, maybe?) explanation that you only salute your superior officer, and so the president's marine guard should salute him but not vice-versa. But then Reagan started saluting back because he thought it looked good in photos, and now if the president doesn't salute the soldiers he's seen as disrespecting the military.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

Black people did. In fact, they voted for him only because he was black (note: I actually had some milquetoast centrist unironically tell me this the other day).

It's a well known fact that every black person was juuuuuust about to vote for McCain (or Romney) when they suddenly noticed Obama is black.

They all wanted to vote for Herman Cain in the Republican primaries, but they didn't have IDs.

Captured an E-3? Great gods, now AQ has access to vital insights into how everyone hates the Black Bean Burrito MRE,

gently caress you.

ArgonHarvester
Sep 6, 2010

Let's be honest, there's only one choice for our new national anthem, and we already let it slip through our grasp.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ArgonHarvester posted:

Let's be honest, there's only one choice for our new national anthem, and we already let it slip through our grasp.

I don't understand why R Kelly is not our Poet Laureate. Real Talk is one of the finest compositions in the English language. "What they eat don't make us poo poo" should be our new national motto.

Though, if we're looking for a song that everyone knows the words to and will join in on singing every time, the choice is obvious.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 12, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Again the choice needs to be Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land."

The full song not the one missing the awesome verses.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

From Facebook:

Guy 1 posted:

Gotta love this politically correct bullshit. All these illegals are crossing over into America with it seems some help of Central American countries, and the press insists on calling the "migrants". WTF you cockbags. Grow a set of loving balls and call it what the gently caress it is. You useless loving liberal mouthpieces. Your lips are so far up the liberals and current administrations asses, you sweat poo poo.

Guy 2 posted:

Immigrants cease being illegal when they are unaccompanied children. It's called the bleeding heart exemption. That's the best way to smuggle a nuke into the country. EMP, here we come.

Guy 3 posted:

Don't you need to detonate a nuke pretty high in the sky to get an EMP without the more pressing matter of having a major city blowed up?

Guy 2 posted:

Yes, but the children will be lifted up on wings of leftist love.

Guys 1 and 2 are diehard mega libertarians. The verdict is still out on Guy 3, but he's not so forceful with his lovely opinions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dirty Job posted:

Guys 1 and 2 are diehard mega libertarians. The verdict is still out on Guy 3, but he's not so forceful with his lovely opinions.

To be fair, they have a point: I certainly can't think of a better way to get a nuclear weapon into the country than having a young child carry it through the desert.

Nope, definitely no problems with that plan.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

From Facebook:

I will give guy 3 some credit. He at least seems to understand how a nuke works to some degree.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think they took the term "suitcase nuke" a bit too literally.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Thanatosian posted:

To be fair, they have a point: I certainly can't think of a better way to get a nuclear weapon into the country than having a young child carry it through the desert.

Nope, definitely no problems with that plan.

Also, these kids are turning themselves in to the first Border Patrol officer they meet. You'd think the Border Patrol would notice something like a nuke.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A few things:

When it comes to the National Anthem, I stand with my hands behind me. I am an assistant coach of a girl's basketball team and I have had people come up and ask me why I do not put my hand on my heart. It was honestly how I was raised and I leave it at that.

I just had a person post this earlier today. I just linked the snopes article disproving it. This is what she responded with:
"This picture may not be accurate but its the idea. I'd like the thank the woman (whoever you are) who chose life for my husband [insert name, he was adopted], God has truly blessed me and my family."

She never thinks about people like your friend or my wife. My wife had already had one miscarriage in June, We found out in November that she was pregnant again but by the beginning of December, we had found out that there was no growth. They told her that if she continued on with the pregnancy, it could lead to it becoming toxic for her and making her infertile. We had an extremely hard decision to make but we went and had a D&C. It crushed my wife to the point where if she even saw a baby on television, she cried. I could only imagine if she had seen and read an image like that.

If you told that to ignorant people a lot of them would consider that to not really be an abortion even though it is and those fucks are making harder for women to get procedures like this done.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
This remains my favorite statement on the national anthem.

Fake Obama posted:

And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.'

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

This is not a baby. This is a creepy rubber doll sold by "One Tiny Life" - http://www.onetinylife.org/menu.htm - to use at anti-choice "crisis pregnancy centers" for poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_22E_KDxg

This is what an actual 12 week fetus looks like:

This is what's in that photo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Okay I'm going to have nightmares because of those little dolls.

If that's what a 12-week-old baby looks like, well, abortions for all!