Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Action Tortoise posted:

I like radiata stories bc it had some cool joke armor that rendered in cutscenes.

I like ff6 bc you can suplex a train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zExDUoaZPo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Radiata Stories is a cool ps2 rpg.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I've never played Vagrant Story but I remember a lot of people saying it's really good, does it still hold up?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sabin is the best monk and needs his own beat em up game

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

fronz posted:

Radiata Stories is a cool ps2 rpg.

One of the armors constantly drains your health but gives you bitchin rad armor with a tattered cape. Like a black Artorias in an anime

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

I've never played Vagrant Story but I remember a lot of people saying it's really good, does it still hold up?

You know I haven't played it in years. Most of the PS RPGs hold up pretty well. Except for Wild Arms where the remake is a lot better because the 3d models during fighting were pretty loving bad.

Hard to beat this list...

Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile
Suikoden
Wild Arms
Vagrant Story
Legend of Legaia
Grandia
Monster Rancher
Lunar
Alundra
Breath of Fire
Vandal Hearts
Saga Frontier
Final Fantasy Ad Nauseum
Legend of Dragoon
Chrono Cross
Thousand Arms
Arc the Lad
Guardian's Crusade
Jade Cocoon
King's Field
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Parasite Eve
Ogre Battle

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ps2 has a huge loving rpg stockpile but most of them were limited print or nobody heard of them or they were ar tonelico

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hog Butcher posted:

ps2 has a huge loving rpg stockpile but most of them were limited print or nobody heard of them or they were ar tonelico

yeah, this

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I need to fix my loving snes now you bastards. Do you know how much snes rpgs cost? gently caress me.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I need to fix my loving snes now you bastards. Do you know how much snes rpgs cost? gently caress me.

lol you don't still own all of them

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

surc posted:

lol you don't still own all of them

like most idiots I sold a good portion of my gaming poo poo years ago, I constantly regret it

like selling spiderman web of fire

kill me my life has no meaning or joy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

Get the Super Famicom versions and play using an English guide. Japanese games can run on American systems with no hardware modifications. You just need to snip two plastic tabs on the console itself

Mother 2 is 10 dollars, Chrono Trigger is a buck, all the SNES final fantasies will run you 3 dollars in total for the set of three, Secret of Mana is 50 cents, and for the hell of it get Dragon Quest 5 and 6 since those are a quarter each.

Oh and Super Metroid for the SFC is the same as the American SNES version, right down to having everything in English.

What I'm saying is I walked into a used Japanese game store one time and I thought I was dreaming because I thought it was impossible for any of this to be real, but it was and is.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well I have a friend who has enough games to open a gaming museum so it's time to knock him out steal his poo poo.

Panzer Dragoon? Thanks! Radiant Silvergun? Sure thing! Sealed Earthbound with stickers and poo poo? Eh, you can keep that one.

I'm going to have to take a trip to Japan, it's probably less in airfare than buying american released games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

Well I have a friend who has enough games to open a gaming museum so it's time to knock him out steal his poo poo.

Panzer Dragoon? Thanks! Radiant Silvergun? Sure thing! Sealed Earthbound with stickers and poo poo? Eh, you can keep that one.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is another game that's ungodly expensive in English, but the Japanese version is 11 dollars and the game even comes with English instructions translating the menu commands.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

I'm going to have to take a trip to Japan, it's probably less in airfare than buying american released games.

Buy online from places like Rakuten.

I ordered around 20 Super Famicom games at once and the shipping was like 20 dollars.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The SF looks real sexy, too. You sold me. You fucker I love you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

The SF looks real sexy, too. You sold me. You fucker I love you.

Just snip two tabs from your American SNES and you can play Japanese games on American SNES.

Game genie method doesn't really work I tried, games always had issues, so I had to cut the tabs. SFC is a nice looking system but the money is better spent buying more games.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just snip two tabs from your American SNES and you can play Japanese games on American SNES.

Game genie method doesn't really work I tried, games always had issues, so I had to cut the tabs. SFC is a nice looking system but the money is better spent buying more games.

I am strangely OCD about playing games on the original hardware, but I can easily snip two suckers if I can actually get my SNES working. I know a shop down the street that has an SF, so we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully all I need is a new pin strip.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kazvall posted:

I am strangely OCD about playing games on the original hardware,

Yeah me too. I went to three different gamestops to get silent hill 2 and ico. Im sitting on an eBay page and waiting til next pay day to get another ps2 game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Down with emulation unless it lets me play coop games over the internet with people I can't see in person!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Get the Super Famicom versions and play using an English guide. Japanese games can run on American systems with no hardware modifications. You just need to snip two plastic tabs on the console itself

Mother 2 is 10 dollars, Chrono Trigger is a buck, all the SNES final fantasies will run you 3 dollars in total for the set of three, Secret of Mana is 50 cents, and for the hell of it get Dragon Quest 5 and 6 since those are a quarter each.

Oh and Super Metroid for the SFC is the same as the American SNES version, right down to having everything in English.

What I'm saying is I walked into a used Japanese game store one time and I thought I was dreaming because I thought it was impossible for any of this to be real, but it was and is.

cheesus crust why did you have to post this now its gonna happen

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hmmm I don't read japanese, but I can get through these text heavy RPGs by following these english guides that tell me when to press A. Sounds like fun.

I mean except for Super Metroid, I've thought about doing that but I'm just gonna replace the battery on my american copy at some point so I can save again.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The Dragon Quests are the only two that you shouldn't be able to play by memory

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

surc posted:

Hmmm I don't read japanese, but I can get through these text heavy RPGs by following these english guides that tell me when to press A. Sounds like fun.

I have this jap import of a mech game called Framegride, for Dreamcast. It's from the makers of Armored Core. Sort of their take on Virtual On. There is a series of questions in the beginning, about 10 of them. All in japanese and all determining what kind of poo poo you get to start. After that, it was fun trying to reverse engineer the game to figure out what the gently caress was going on.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I was looking through the good GBA RPGs and I realized that I was just missing Superstar Saga and no way in hell am I getting yet another version of Final Fantasy 4 or 6.

I thought it had a longer list of RPGs but the PSP and PS2 still has more.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
psp has a bunch of good ones and also emulates gba pretty well, and has native psx support

snes emulation is a bit shoddy though

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think the N64 had the least amount of RPGs.

And Aiden Chronicles was garbage.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't the N64 total games list pretty small in general?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

yeah it had under 400 games, but I think it only had like 6 RPGs and even if you counted Zeldas the number was still under 10.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Kazvall posted:

Per Wikipedia:

Of the console's 387 official releases, 84 were exclusive to Japan, 50 to North America, and 4 to Europe.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Poonerman posted:

Per Wikipedia:

Of the console's 387 official releases, 84 were exclusive to Japan, 50 to North America, and 4 to Europe.

It still is kinda weird that Nintendo doesn't bother to localize most of their Japanese games as a quick way of giving the Wii-U somewhat exclusive games.

Like even if they packaged them together or with extras or some poo poo or even gave them VC releases. Because the next big release is late October and that's Bayonetta 2.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The total list of N64 RPGs that made it to North America:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/list-48?region=1

It gets smaller because three of those are Quest 64, two are Paper Mario, and two are Mega Man 64.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 13, 2014

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i remember quest 64. i was so committed to nintendo and needed an rpg i got that game. dumbest idea. i switched over to psx and the only reason i kept my n64 around was starfox and... no honestly just starfox. i felt so burned that i didn't really get anymore n64 games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I never bothered to look through Gamestop's bargain DS games because they're not BOGO or 75% off. But they had Advance Wars Days of Ruin for 5.99, Deep labyrinth for a dollar and I found a copy of Scurge Hive which was a very good GBA game and was ported to the DS. Scurge plays like a Metroid/Diablo hybrid, it was also a dollar too.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i remember quest 64. i was so committed to nintendo and needed an rpg i got that game. dumbest idea. i switched over to psx and the only reason i kept my n64 around was starfox and... no honestly just starfox. i felt so burned that i didn't really get anymore n64 games.

I kept trying to play that without a pak. Never got past the cave.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It was the SNES, then it was Sony Platforms through the PS2. and now? it's the Nintendo 3DS

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

lesbian baphomet posted:

It was the SNES, then it was Sony Platforms through the PS2. and now? it's the Nintendo 3DS

I dunno about the 3DS being the top RPG platform, it's got pokemon, Monster Hunter, and fire emblem but it's missing a shitload of the good RPGs that came out on other current systems.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno about the 3DS being the top ROG platform, it's got pokemon, Monster Hunter, and fire emblem but it's missing a shitload of the good RPGs that came out on other systems.

Shin Megami Tensei 4
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey 4
coming soon: Persona Q

plus the million other ports of RPGs from other systems

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i mean Bravely Default alone is probably enough to make it the strongest RPG system in years, but when you add the SMT series plus all the other random stuff like fe and pokemon? poo poo man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't like bravely default all that much and i love ff5 and bought it at full price because of people telling me how much it was like ff5

• Locked thread