Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
This guy. He's been horribly conned by house-flipping company and (probably) a real estate agent who are just, like, the General Motors of of human beings. And he's still so gormless and self-absorbed that he's hard to sympathize with. That takes some doing.

I mean, this guy's got a huge problem and he's not dealing with it like an actual adult -- that is, by getting a clear idea of the problem's extent and nature, then setting clear priorities for how to address it as part of a coherent, long-term plan. He still hasn't done anything (like, say, pulling all the drywall) to get a clear idea of what the problems with this house are, what they'll cost to fix, whether he can afford to fix them, and how he'll pay for the fixes if he elects to (as opposed to doing a short sale, declaring bankruptcy, or defaulting on the mortgage).

Instead, he's discovering problems as he goes, with no clear idea of what all needs to be done, of whether the problems he's currently fixing are the most important or urgent, how much the whole effort is likely to cost, how long it's going to take, whether it's worthwhile, and so on. I mean, he's running networking cable while raccoons fill his attic with poop and God knows what damp, unboxed wiring sizzles away between the layers of newspaper and orphan bones the house flippers used to insulate the walls.

So he's not even in a position where you can expect charity to do any good -- his sales pitch is literally "I need an unspecified amount of money to repair a house that is so badly damaged that I can't afford to fix it, and can offer no assurance that fixing the house is either a possible or practical course of action." It's like his thought process starts and ends with "I deserve money because the reasons I need it are not my fault," as opposed to, say, "how can I convince people that helping me is worthwhile?"

It's like he's saying "I'm raising money to build a school. I don't know how much money we'll need, how long it'll take, how many students it'll serve, which permits we'll need, or whether the problems that building this school will solve could be better solved by sending people to the school across the street. Instead, my plan is to spend all the money I can raise or borrow until I one day decide that the school is finished." And it's hard to rally behind -- much less sympathize with -- someone who's willing to throw other people's money into that kind of boondoggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Basically the Doobie of house building.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

This dude is a loving moron, that house is beyond saving, just stop.

AdolfHitler
Mar 21, 2009

Brainworm posted:

This guy. He's been horribly conned by house-flipping company and (probably) a real estate agent who are just, like, the General Motors of of human beings. And he's still so gormless and self-absorbed that he's hard to sympathize with. That takes some doing.

I mean, this guy's got a huge problem and he's not dealing with it like an actual adult -- that is, by getting a clear idea of the problem's extent and nature, then setting clear priorities for how to address it as part of a coherent, long-term plan. He still hasn't done anything (like, say, pulling all the drywall) to get a clear idea of what the problems with this house are, what they'll cost to fix, whether he can afford to fix them, and how he'll pay for the fixes if he elects to (as opposed to doing a short sale, declaring bankruptcy, or defaulting on the mortgage).

Instead, he's discovering problems as he goes, with no clear idea of what all needs to be done, of whether the problems he's currently fixing are the most important or urgent, how much the whole effort is likely to cost, how long it's going to take, whether it's worthwhile, and so on. I mean, he's running networking cable while raccoons fill his attic with poop and God knows what damp, unboxed wiring sizzles away between the layers of newspaper and orphan bones the house flippers used to insulate the walls.

So he's not even in a position where you can expect charity to do any good -- his sales pitch is literally "I need an unspecified amount of money to repair a house that is so badly damaged that I can't afford to fix it, and can offer no assurance that fixing the house is either a possible or practical course of action." It's like his thought process starts and ends with "I deserve money because the reasons I need it are not my fault," as opposed to, say, "how can I convince people that helping me is worthwhile?"

It's like he's saying "I'm raising money to build a school. I don't know how much money we'll need, how long it'll take, how many students it'll serve, which permits we'll need, or whether the problems that building this school will solve could be better solved by sending people to the school across the street. Instead, my plan is to spend all the money I can raise or borrow until I one day decide that the school is finished." And it's hard to rally behind -- much less sympathize with -- someone who's willing to throw other people's money into that kind of boondoggle.

i think hes cool because of this post

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

We have two full time maintenance guys on staff 24/7, if it is something they can fix they will fix it for parts only. For stuff like plumbing the management company has full time licensed plumbers on staff, we have to pay but it is well below market because they work full time for the company. I guess it is one of the perks of living at a medium sized building that has full time staff.

My condo has none of this so anything that goes wrong I have to fix myself

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mookface posted:

My condo has none of this so anything that goes wrong I have to fix myself

I dunno man move to a better condo? There are bad rental apartments too.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

It might be because its older but the loving thing is worth 315 000 dollars and the condo fees are almost three hundred a month

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Condo/HOA fees must make retirement planning a bitch.

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax

revmoo posted:

Condo/HOA fees must make retirement planning a bitch.

LOL the condo board has decided the building needs a new roof this year, we're upping your fees 400% for the next 6 months!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

"Mehehehe, James Bond. With you captured by my men there will be no way for you to stop me from exposing myself to your bloody queen!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Area Man's Facial Expression Remains Permanently Frozen Since Jacking Off This Morning

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Nah he probably doesn't want to have to buy into homegrown condo wifi or else get his place foreclosed on.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReptileChillock posted:

LOL the condo board has decided the building needs a new roof this year, we're upping your fees 400% for the next 6 months!

That's not how it works, you have to vote on stuff, we did last year and they are putting in the cabanas and fire pit and dog park and Technogym now. :neckbeard:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

lol three olives

ya let me just access the trust fund my dad left for me so i can move into an upscale condo thx4the advice!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Three Olives posted:

?????????????

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i haven't read a word of this thread because that picture is hypnotic

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Three Olives posted:

That's not how it works, you have to vote on stuff, we did last year and they are putting in the cabanas and fire pit and dog park and Technogym now. :neckbeard:

:smug:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is a technogym like the Danger Room from X-Men?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

boom boom boom posted:

Is a technogym like the Danger Room from X-Men?

TECHNOGYM: LET'S KICK SHELL

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kazr posted:

lol three olives

ya let me just access the trust fund my dad left for me so i can move into an upscale condo thx4the advice!

weird, your condo doesn't have personal concierge service? Do you live in the ghetto?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

mr.capps posted:

i haven't read a word of this thread because that picture is hypnotic

Don't stare at stupid too long, it might rub off.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Brainworm posted:

From his blog posts it looks like he's done estimates of the house but the scope and nature of just how hosed it is means that he's inevitably just going to keep discovering more things. He's also weighed his options and is effectively trapped with the house, so is fighting back and fixing it. It looks like something good may come of this in the long run though - the publicity he gets will likely wind up helping to pay for the repairs, and also new laws being passed from the awareness he raises etc.

Also, it's really not a good idea to blame the victim here. Regardless of the dead-eyed bad photo stare 'he was wearing', no one deserves this and we shouldn't focus on the victim so much as the damage created by the crooks.

Furthermore, this really looks like any one of us could have just as easily been the victim of the con job here - the crooks went to great lengths to cover their tracks and hide the faults in the house.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 12, 2014

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

nigga looks like a star trek alien

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
He looks pretty normal in videos of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xE3XciVis

Also it looks like he wears glasses, so that may explain the eyes.

Either that or exhaustion after stressing out over your con job house.

In any case, I always find it hilarious when goons of all people judge others by their appearance.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 12, 2014

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Also, it's really not a good idea to blame the victim here. Regardless of the dead-eyed bad photo stare he was wearing, no one deserves this and we shouldn't focus on the victim so much as the damage created by the crooks.

Furthermore, this really looks like any one of us could have just as easily been the victim of the con job here - the crooks went to great lengths to cover their tracks and hide the faults in the house.

I feel like it's possible to sympathize while still being absolutely stymied by the victim's stupidity- I don't get a sense of true malice for the dude from this thread. I think it's just less interesting to talk about the sellers because they're anonymous and almost archetypal. Like, say one of your friends told the group of you that a man in a bar convinced him to eat a piece of dog poo poo and pick up the bar tab to boot. Sure, the brief initial response would be "wow, who the gently caress would do that to someone else and why?". But the remaining 90% of the story's lifecycle would be the lot of you making fun of your dumbass friend. The circumstances with this story are way more dire but the closeness to the victim is nonexistent, so it kinda balances out to the same net result.

And if the attic wasn't entered, and the gaping raccoon porte cochere was just flapping in the wind, those aren't hidden things- that's just not looking for the bad apple in the spoiled bunch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is nuts. I keep thinking, why didn't he just demo the entire interior and just rebuild everything from the ground up. It's just fix this, fix that. Oh look, I found a new problem in the walls. Just tear em all down and rewire, replumb, and do it right. Probably would have been cheaper.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's pretty weird that a home inspector wouldn't even try to look at the attic.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Three Olives is constantly owning scrubs who should already be in a position to own a house/condo by this point in their life. Goons are so loving sad.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Three Olives posted:

Does your condo just cater to fags or what?

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

I have actually seen the scenario I described play out in real life. Not everyone is on the condo board, especially not in smaller :siren: working class :siren: condos. If the majority vote for a new whatever and you personally can't afford it then tough poo poo, better run to your bank.

Also some condos get downright kafka-esque when there's no on site maintenance. Imagine ten people all on the phone trying to call a series of contractors and owners while there's water pouring into the walls because some 4th floor retard put a tub in wrong.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ReptileChillock posted:

I have actually seen the scenario I described play out in real life. Not everyone is on the condo board, especially not in smaller :siren: working class :siren: condos. If the majority vote for a new whatever and you personally can't afford it then tough poo poo, better run to your bank.

Also some condos get downright kafka-esque when there's no on site maintenance. Imagine ten people all on the phone trying to call a series of contractors and owners while there's water pouring into the walls because some 4th floor retard put a tub in wrong.

Serious post, yes this happens but it is basically the same thing as the idiot in the OP, failure to do due diligence. There are poorly managed condos just like there are poorly managed apartments, poorly managed businesses, poorly managed everything. When I bought mine they could tell me 20+ years out when things were due to be replaced, when things had to be modernized, major maintenance work, I knew the two special assessments were going to happen in the next 5-10 years and a rough idea of what they were going to be and at any given time we have roughly $1M cash on hand, sometimes significantly more to cover planned expenses. That and we act totally transparently, I can go onto the building intranet at any given time and see the monthly variance report:

Last Month's Report posted:

Balance Sheet

The balance sheet reflects $389,548.19 in Operating, $418,520.62 in the Reserve and
$638,740.64 in the Special Account at close out for March. Total cash on hand at close out for
March was $1,446,809.45.

Reserve expenses for March were $2,181.25 for window replacements.

$17,240.22 was paid from the Special Fund as down payment on Pool Area Furnishings. The
$250 credit in Courtyard Expense reflects a payment from a resident for the purchase of old
courtyard furniture.

Operating Expenses

Payroll and Operating
Overall, Payroll Operating Expense was $9,334.44 less than projected for March with savings in
G & A Payroll, Workers Comp and Group Insurance and Payroll Taxes. Savings in G& A payroll
and payroll tax is due to having operated without the swing shift in the lobby for most of the
month. We continue interviewing to fill open lobby shifts. We are also scheduling contract valet
workers to fill in during the busy evening rush hours to ensure adequate lobby staffing.

...two more pages of :words:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Three Olives posted:

Serious post, yes this happens but it is basically the same thing as the idiot in the OP, failure to do due diligence. There are poorly managed condos just like there are poorly managed apartments, poorly managed businesses, poorly managed everything. When I bought mine they could tell me 20+ years out when things were due to be replaced, when things had to be modernized, major maintenance work, I knew the two special assessments were going to happen in the next 5-10 years and a rough idea of what they were going to be and at any given time we have roughly $1M cash on hand, sometimes significantly more to cover planned expenses. That and we act totally transparently, I can go onto the building intranet at any given time and see the monthly variance report:

thanks lemme crunch dem numbers

*old-rear end fax machine slowly sputters out piece of paper making KRT KRRRT BRRRR BRRR KRRT KRT BRRRR sounds*

*looks all shocked and holds up sheet of paper reading "ur a faget" in that calculator digital font*

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone
the kicker is that this is really roboshit on a meth binge

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Arian_Samurai posted:

That's pretty weird that a home inspector wouldn't even try to look at the attic.

ding ding ding

I mean ok some of it - the hilarious fake cable jack - it's fair to have not seen, but the home inspector who did my house would have drat sure noticed that the loving attic had waste in it and there were no drains for the toilet or whatever the gently caress. Hell, we passed on one house because the loving realtor smelled mold as soon as we walked in. How did this fucko live there for six months before managing to realize the drywall was hosed up and moldy? Like, OK, sure the previous owner went out of their way to gently caress this dude, and that sucks, but he also seems like a real stupid guy and they probably knew he'd be an easy mark.

If I were him, and I thank god every loving post on his idiot blog that I'm not, I'd have the house demolished and live in an RV in the yard until I could afford to build a replacement that wasn't a fevela-quality death trap.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

My friend BJ. ($117.77)

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Brainworm posted:

Well, so much for some kid's Christmas.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

madeupfred posted:

My friend BJ. ($117.77)

A blowjob and just under 118 dollars is a good price

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

madeupfred posted:

My friend BJ. ($117.77)

Is that one of the raccoons?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

madeupfred posted:

My friend BJ. ($117.77)

My gutters keep leaking and I don't know why...

no drip flashing and exposed 2x4s?

nah just gonna buy this heat tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jimong5 posted:

My gutters keep leaking and I don't know why...

no drip flashing and exposed 2x4s?

nah just gonna buy this heat tape

Hey man,

my friend BJ's on the job.

• Locked thread