Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

archaeo posted:

UN Security Council calls for a ceasefire. Bibi gives no shits.

Why would he? The UNSC is his bitch. UNSC means that US has veto power, so any UNSC attempt at being coercive against Israel will fail. UK and France also fell in line obediently, so you can count at least three vetos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
IIRC France is about fed the hell up with all this poo poo and might not be a reliable source of veto for much longer, and I don't think the UK will be for very much longer either presuming Israel keeps up with this crap. That just leaves the US and.. Well that's the only one that really matters, isn't it? Our government isn't liable to ever stop protecting poor widdle Iswael and their constant victimization by the entire non-Israeli world.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Reverend Catharsis posted:

IIRC France is about fed the hell up with all this poo poo

Any source for this?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

urea posted:

No Israeli injuries and casualties were reported in Israeli media.

I saw 4 made it through the dome and hit, and ambulances rushing that way, but I'm not seeing any more about casualties, so it might have just been a rushed report. Although I did see one 65 year old woman had a heart attack and died, but I believe that was from a previous attack somewhere else, and she had been in the hospital.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Back in... I wanna say 2006, but it could be 2005 or 2007 or something like that, I was studying Human Sciences at Ahuntsic College. There was a thing where there would be special conferences centered on Human Sciences for a week. We had to go see at least two. I went to see a conference on the state of Tibet (which was extremely shocking and disturbing, but is off-topic) and one on Gaza.

Back then, I didn't really have an opinion on the Israel-Palestine conflict. I knew two groups were killing each other and it was sad, but I didn't really know what was going there or the history or anything else. This conference opened my eyes. It was held by a journalist who worked for Radio-Canada at the time (can't remember her name, and Google isn't helping) and she's spent a long time in Gaza. She brought back pictures, videos, testimonies, statistics, etc. And she spoke out about how she couldn't broadcast any of it because "people didn't want to see that".

The Israeli government, by the way it treats the people living in Gaza, and to a slightly lesser degree in the West Bank, is showing itself to be no better than the likes of Apartheid-era South Africa or any other crazy dictators. Anyone trying to justify these actions shows him- or herself to be a monster without human empathy.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Any source for this?

Unfortunately, no no I don't have any sources. I'm going by half-remembered news articles and soundbytes I heard as long as.. Two years back? Maybe three? I'm completely guessing on this point, I only have a hazy recollection that at least one Important French Governmental Person was tired of this BS.

Extry: I recommend reading "Shut Up, I'm Talking: And Other Diplomacy Lessons I Learned in the Israeli Government", Choc. Pretty good read, fairly informative.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Obama's is a Jew-Hating Administration

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Unfortunately, no no I don't have any sources. I'm going by half-remembered news articles and soundbytes I heard as long as.. Two years back? Maybe three? I'm completely guessing on this point, I only have a hazy recollection that at least one Important French Governmental Person was tired of this BS.

France has a large and marginalized Arab Muslim population, mostly of Maghrebi origin, that is extremely hostile to Israel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cat Mattress posted:

Why would he? The UNSC is his bitch. UNSC means that US has veto power, so any UNSC attempt at being coercive against Israel will fail. UK and France also fell in line obediently, so you can count at least three vetos.

I thought these countries have increasing Arab populations? Wouldn't that help?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Randomly found this video while looking for info online. I just started watching so I'm not sure how true or bullshit it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etXAm-OylQQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xandu posted:

I saw some poll on Twitter that shows support for Israel declines amongst younger people, but support for Palestine stays pretty constant at about 12%.
I'm surprised it's that high considering there are almost no mainstream figures in the media right now who openly support Palestinians.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm surprised it's that high considering there are almost no mainstream figures in the media right now who openly support Palestinians.

All we need is Tina Fey and Nick Offerman to say something in favor of Palestines and the youth support will turn right back around. Since those actors are both Jewish they can't exactly be accused of antisemitism either.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

"Netanyahu is digging a grave for us all. Jews and Arabs."

This is from the Tel Aviv protest that was met with a counter protest that threw eggs and then chased everyone off after a fight inside a cafe.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OwlBot 2000 posted:

All we need is Tina Fey and Nick Offerman to say something in favor of Palestines and the youth support will turn right back around. Since those actors are both Jewish they can't exactly be accused of antisemitism either.

They'd call that "stockholm syndrome." You know, the century of oppression leaving those two with crippling mental issues and all.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Tina Fey isn't Jewish.

Oh and neither is Nick Offerman. I just missed a joke :(

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
That or flat out treason to the nation/race/cause/whatever. It would make for an interesting series of analyses, presuming you could stand to watch all the talking heads conjecture without projectile vomiting blood.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Jizz Festival posted:

Tina Fey isn't Jewish.

I read somewhere she was Orthodox.

Sappo
Apr 6, 2002

Can't stop the rock!

peak debt posted:

They have a massive internal dichotomy between secular and religious groups and a corruption index comparable to China. The Haredi would probably form terrorist groups against a secular state within years if the Palestinians didn't exist.
Hasn't there always been a pressure of far-right terrorism internally anyway? Bombings and attacks whenever anyone made the slightest anti-settlement motion? It was just low key because of the enemy keeping most of the ultra-right in alignment with the state.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's always frustrating that the best progressives in Congress (a lot of whom are Jewish) have really terrible views on I/P, but are great on everything else.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Hmm, that's weird. The AP is reporting that the Security Council is unanimously pushing for a ceasefire, but I can't find any sort of official statement on it except a press release from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights which doesn't address the subject. Anybody know a link to the actual announcement?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/12/un-security-council-gaza-ceasefire-call
http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-153644-UN-Security-Council-calls-for-Gaza-ceasefire
http://www.timesofisrael.com/un-security-council-calls-for-gaza-israel-cease-fire/

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I read somewhere she was Orthodox.

She's Greek Orthodox, not Orthodox Jewish.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

Hmm, that's weird. The AP is reporting that the Security Council is unanimously pushing for a ceasefire, but I can't find any sort of official statement on it except a press release from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights which doesn't address the subject. Anybody know a link to the actual announcement?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/12/un-security-council-gaza-ceasefire-call
http://www.thenews.com.pk/article-153644-UN-Security-Council-calls-for-Gaza-ceasefire
http://www.timesofisrael.com/un-security-council-calls-for-gaza-israel-cease-fire/

The press release IS the unanimous push. Presumably the US wouldn't let anything more binding than a press release through.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

They might be misinterpreting the release of the statements Ban Ki-moon and representatives of Palestine and Israel made to the Security Council. Though the Israeli representative's speech is interesting; interweaved between the usual talking points, one can see the real reason for the sudden escalation poking through.

http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2014/sc11467.doc.htm

quote:

Warning at an emergency Security Council meeting this morning of violence spiralling out of control in Gaza, Israel and the West Bank, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on the international community to accelerate efforts to immediately halt the escalation as he condemned the rising toll on Palestinian civilians.

“We must keep the situation from getting any further out of control,” said the Secretary-General in a briefing that also heard from the Permanent Observer of the State of Palestine to United Nations, Riyad Mansour, and Israel’s Permanent Representative, Ron Prosor.

“We face the risk of an all-out escalation in Israel and Gaza, with the threat of a ground offensive still palpable,” he added, pointing to a barrage of more than 500 rockets and mortars from Gaza into Israel and more than 500 air strikes on Gaza undertaken by Israel primarily targeted at Hamas and Islamic Jihad facilities and residences of their members.

He said that 88 Palestinians, many of them civilians, were reported to have been killed and 339 injured, and some 150 homes had been destroyed or severely damaged with nearly 900 people displaced. “I continue to condemn the rising number of civilian lives lost in Gaza. Once again, Palestinian civilians are caught between Hamas’ irresponsibility and Israel’s tough response,” he said.

He reported that projectiles were being fired from Gaza at multiple Israeli population centres, some intercepted by the Iron Dome defence system, others causing damage and injuries, with one reported to have struck northern Jerusalem. An attempted infiltration by Palestinian militants by sea from Gaza into Ashkelon on the night of 8 July had reportedly been foiled, and the militants killed.

He recalled the lead-up to the current tensions included the murder of three Israeli students and a Palestinian teenager, which he said “shattered a period of relative calm and were widely condemned by the United Nations and the international community”.

The turmoil in the West Bank had continued, he observed, with clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces in and around refugee camps and other areas, with some 10 Palestinians reportedly injured on Wednesday during protests.

“It is clear that the international community must accelerate efforts to achieve an immediate halt to this escalation and reach a durable ceasefire. All actors must exercise maximum restraint and respect international humanitarian law. I will continue my efforts to bridge gaps and revive negotiations,” he said.

More than ever, the situation called for “bold thinking and creative ideas”, he said. “We must strive to restore not only calm today, but a political horizon for tomorrow.” He recognized that confidence in the peace process had been undermined by the lack of progress despite recent efforts. “But surely no one can wish for the alternative — perpetual cycles of violence, pervasive mistrust, polarized peoples.”

Mr. Mansour said he came to the Security Council with the support of the Arab Group, the Non-Aligned Movement, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, to call on the Council to immediately protect civilian lives being lost with each passing minute of what he called the Israeli military aggression being waged against the Palestinian people under illegal, inhumane occupation.

“Enough of the bloodshed of the Palestinian people, enough of their oppression under Israeli occupation, enough of this injustice and enough of this violence and conflict that is inflicting so much suffering on innocent people on both sides and undermining regional and international peace and stability,” he said.

Recalling his recent communications to the Council, he said that he had been trying to draw attention to the crisis and Israeli actions that contravened international humanitarian law, with barely any reaction.

In the past few days alone, he said, Israel had persisted with relentless attacks on Gaza. Those attacks had terrorized the people, killed dozens of civilians and injured hundreds, including a family of eight with five children killed that day. He noted that the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) had declared an emergency in Gaza.

In the West Bank, he said, Israeli military raids continued daily in Palestinian areas, resulting in dozens of casualties, demolished homes and pushing the number of Palestinians captive in Israeli jails to more than 6,000. Settler violence, terrorism and incitement against Palestinians, particularly children and farmers, continued unabated.

He called on the Security Council to send a firm message to Israel to immediately cease its aggressions against the Palestinian people and to abide by its obligations under international law. It was high time that Israel, the occupying Power, be held accountable for countless human rights violations and war crimes, including the killing of Palestinian civilians, the wanton destruction of Palestinian property and the malicious colonization of Palestinian land.

He rejected claims by Israel that Palestinian civilians in Gaza were being used as human shields by Hamas while densely populated areas were being targeted, saying there could be no justification for killing innocent civilians. He recalled Israel’s suspension of peace negotiations in April in response to the reconciliation of the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) and Hamas, which he called a legitimate and necessary step.

He finally called on the Council not only to end the “bleeding” in Gaza, but also to revive “our dying hopes in the prospects for an end to the occupation, an end to this tragic conflict and the achievement of peace and for the realization of the Palestinian aspirations for their freedom”.

Mr. Prosor replied that Hamas had dragged Israel into the conflict and was intentionally threatening the lives of 3.5 million innocent people in his country. As they spoke, a rocket was being fired into Israel every 10 minutes, with hundreds of rockets raining indiscriminately following the murders of the Israeli teenagers. He played a recording of an air raid siren to emphasize the point.

Israel, he said, had exercise restraint and was now being criticized for finally responding to those provocations by launching a self-defence operation to counter Hamas’ attacks and to defend Israeli citizens.

The operation aimed to remove the threat posed by Hamas by dismantling what he called the massive military machine of 10,000 rockets that Hamas had built up over the last few years. His Government was determined to give Israelis the safety and security they deserved. No country would accept the threats Israel faced.

“We aren’t looking for a band-aid solution that will allow Hamas to rest and recoup,” he said, emphasizing that, at the same time, Israel was taking great measures to avoid harming innocent civilians. The Defense Forces warned Palestinians in Gaza of imminent strikes, while Hamas instructed those same civilians to stand on the roof of buildings and act as human shields.

Hamas, he said, was also targeting the only border crossing through which food, medicine and other essentials entered Gaza. Despite the attacks, Israel was keeping the Kerem Shalom crossing open and on Tuesday and Wednesday, 242 truckloads of goods had been delivered into the Gaza Strip.

He said that Hamas was not only behind the attacks, but in the last year alone had attempted to kidnap 64 Israelis, and was recognized as a terrorist organization by many nations. It now had a seat in the Palestinian unity Government. Members of the international community had embraced the Fatah-Hamas partnership even though Hamas had not acted in concert with the Quartet principles, nor had it recognized Israel, renounced violence or accepted previous agreements.

It was time, he said, for the international community to right this wrong and make it clear to Hamas that unity did not equal impunity.
He noted that, in his remarks, the Palestinian delegate had not mentioned a single one of the 442 rockets fired into Israel.

Israel was at the forefront of the free world fighting radical Islamic terrorism, he said. The threat posed by terrorism was global. No nation was immune. The call must be loud and clear — opposing terrorism in one place meant opposing terrorism everywhere. “There is only one responsible course of action for this Council — condemn Hamas. Condemn the rocket fire. Call on President [Mahmoud] Abbas to dissolve the unity Government and support Israel’s right to defend itself,” he said.

The meeting began at 10:04 a.m. and ended at 10:53 a.m., when Council members were invited into consultations on the Middle East.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

It's less about "both sides" and more of "I don't loving care anymore, make it stop or my next suggestion is that we destroy Jerusalem, Mecca, and the Vatican and then nobody has ANY holy lands to fight over ever again."

Thanks for reminding me of this extremely popular opinion among shitheads so I'll have something to respond with the next time some Euphoric says that irreligion cannot lead to violent sentiments.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
I recall apologizing for a hyperbolic statement made in a fit but okay, I'm just a shithead. Moving on..

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheImmigrant posted:

France has a large and marginalized Arab Muslim population, mostly of Maghrebi origin, that is extremely hostile to Israel.

France also has a large and well-integrated Jewish population, mostly of French origin, that is extremely friendly to Israel.

Third largest Jewish nation in the world, after of course Israel and USA. So even if the Maghrebi population is larger, they are overall a lot less influential. Hollande pledged France's solidarity towards Israel, condemned the Palestinians' aggressions, and recognized Israel's right to self-defense.

Official French position on the current events? Palestinians are the aggressors, it's entirely their fault, and Israel is only defending itself and has the right to do so.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Speaking of that and France, please read this delightful old thing. Even better than Stockholm syndrome, prominent Jews who speak up against Israel's policies are dismissed as "Court Jews", or sell-outs, renegades, etc. Wonderful. Hilariously, the guy who wrote that runs some sort of media watchdog that is out to "expose bias in media".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

No, stop. Palestine doesn't need to do poo poo. Palestinians are the victims, period. I suspected someone with a twee, orotund style like yours would be a "both sides"-nik but it's my grim duty to confirm it.

I think you are selling the Palestinians short. Palestinians leaders, particularly Abbas, have been maneuvering heavily with the UN while negotiating under very uneven circumstances, and have recently gotten to a PLO-led unity government with Hamas under its wings, and elections in six months, should Israel have chosen to allow them. They Israelis are definitely at fault here, but not because Palestinians are victims; rather because Palestinians, despite the power imbalance, despite the years of Occupation, despite an unfair mediator and a mostly indifferent world, despite the risks to legitimacy of any leadership that negotiates with Israel under these conditions, have managed to set up a semi-legitimate government over the West Bank and Gaza, tied up in UN treaties which no observer can say they have signed under duress (instead, it was over the objection of Israel and the US), that in the context of the Saudi Initiative would have provided Israel with an opportunity to settle its issues with most of the Middle East (I reiterate that even Iran supports that initiative), and would provide stability with a legitimated government to neighboring territories that would now become part of a state. This would leave Israel within borders better than it had before the Six Day War, in themselves only ceasefire lines which for a long time were of dubious international legitimacy. And with all of its armaments, while the Palestinian state would be demilitarized or at most guarded by NATO forces. This amazingly generous deal, the epitome of the Zionist project since its inception, was rejected by the Israeli government. It chose to use the monstrous abduction and murder of three youths as a pretext to destroy the amazing package deal it was handed, because they think they can do better.

Now, there's this recurring argument as to who is right and who is wrong in this recent flareup, that I think that is not very productive in the way that it is stated. Generally I don't like to talk in the abstract, whether this or that action in itself is moral. Instead, I think you should you should judge people and policy-makers based on the options that are available to them.

It is in this context that the question "what should Israel do faced with rockets fired at its population" be seen; one response is very simple: as a first step, pursue the policies that last stopped this kind of attack, namely, reaching a ceasefire with Hamas; and then see if you can salvage the package deal that Abbas is begging to give you. Since this is a viable option, and since Israel chose instead to pursue an option that resulted in the killing of more than 100 people, and the destruction of countless buildings, including two NGO's for handicapped children (although even if for some reason this turns out to be an entire fabrication, the 100 lost lives are bad enough), Israel is at fault here.

This is not the only alternative it could pursue which does not involve killing hundreds and destroying infrastructure in an open-air prison that has not rebuilt since the last time a major operation was conducted there. Israel could also basically not respond to Hamas other than mocking them for failing to break through Iron Dome. And that's it. Not bomb Gaza once. Eventually, since terrorism will fail to terrorize, Hamas will find something else to do, like maybe lower its demands for a ceasefire.

That is, to me, one of the most reprehensible aspects of this recent operation, by the way; the Dome actually allows Israel room to maneuver diplomatically, so that it wouldn't need to use violence unless necessary. Instead, in the pursuit of victimhood on the international arena, they have completely given away that benefit, and in the process made Israelis look weak. It's the opposite of deterrence. And furthermore, it makes a mockery of the Hasbara campaign when you see people barely jolted from their coffee on the one hand, and entire city blocs leveled on the other.

Let us now turn to Hamas. It has chosen to come under the wing of its enemy, Fatah, and to go into elections which would have probably seen it lose much of its power; in response, Israel has pursued it in the West Bank at the earliest pretext, and then completely broke down the ceasefire in Gaza. The options it has are either to give up completely, or to shoot rockets it knows are ultimately not really serious threats. I have a hard time being angry at them for choosing the latter, despite the damage and injury caused so far. Even then it is offering an entirely legitimate list of demands for a ceasefire. Ultimately it doesn't seem like they have a lot of non-rocket-shooting options to pursue without Israel seeking a ceasefire, because the alternative is for them to disband, and for Islamic Jihad and other groups to rise up, who are likely to be shooting more rockets and not be amenable to any kind of pursuit of Palestinian cohesion.

Beyond who is right or wrong, another important question is who has the power to make significant changes in what is going on. Again, that's all on Israel. It has very simple things it could do and this could all revert to pretty much two months ago. The power differential was, is, and still will be staggering. Meanwhile, there is nothing saying that a Hamas which disarmed and disbanded will have solved anything. History has not shown that to be a cure-all for Palestinian hardship.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cat Mattress posted:

Hilariously, the guy who wrote that runs some sort of media watchdog that is out to "expose bias in media".
What could be more biased than espousing an opinion that does not agree with my own?

See? Simple logic. You Che-Brigadistas should try it some time.

What I'm actually missing is what's up with "Operation Protective Edge". Last time I looked, it was "Operation Mighty Cliff", aka "Operation My Penis is Really Large and Always Ready to Hatefuck the Palestinians".

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
So I was talking to a family member and he says that Hamas intentionally hides its weapons and people among civilian populations. Is there truth to this at all?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well seeing as how their major weapons are composed of piss and fertiliser even Israel is guilty of harbouring Hamas munitions.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Silver Nitrate posted:

So I was talking to a family member and he says that Hamas intentionally hides its weapons and people among civilian populations. Is there truth to this at all?

Gaza's a dense place. There's really not anywhere to hide them away from people.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Silver Nitrate posted:

It has probably been mentioned tons of times already, but the fact remains that the Gaza strip is so densely populated that anything would be "hidden" among the civilian population no matter what.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Can I please be part of the Che Brigade as well I lost my invitation email :shobon:

Silver Nitrate posted:

The Gaza strip is about twice the size of Washington, D.C, but with three times the population. Nobody is allowed to leave. Where exactly do you think people and weapons can be stored that would be away from the civilian population?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Nosfereefer posted:

It has probably been mentioned tons of times already, but the fact remains that the Gaza strip is so densely populated that anything would be "hidden" among the civilian population no matter what.

That isn't a good enough reasoning for him unfortunately.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

More info on the center for disabled children which Israel bombed:

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28279054

I am Jewish. I have visited Israel dozens of times and enjoyed the fruits of Israeli culture. I could give you a reasonably non-touristy list of things which I've done there.

That this is being done in my name, supposedly to protect me, is unconscionable to me. This does not make me proud to be Jewish, eager to visit Israel, or want to speak highly of Israel to others.

Furthermore, I cannot reconcile how difficult it is to get my fellow Jews to criticize the Israeli state's actions, even when they are as brazenly inhumane as this. If this story checks out, and my fellow Jews, Israelis and alleged pro-Israel friends do not criticize it... I don't even know.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

botany posted:

The Gaza strip is about twice the size of Washington, D.C, but with three times the population. Nobody is allowed to leave. Where exactly do you think people and weapons can be stored that would be away from the civilian population?

The Negev. :smugbert:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think you are selling the Palestinians short. Palestinians leaders, particularly Abbas, have been maneuvering heavily with the UN while negotiating under very uneven circumstances, and have recently gotten to a PLO-led unity government with Hamas under its wings, and elections in six months, should Israel have chosen to allow them. They Israelis are definitely at fault here, but not because Palestinians are victims; rather because Palestinians, despite the power imbalance, despite the years of Occupation, despite an unfair mediator and a mostly indifferent world, despite the risks to legitimacy of any leadership that negotiates with Israel under these conditions, have managed to set up a semi-legitimate government over the West Bank and Gaza, tied up in UN treaties which no observer can say they have signed under duress (instead, it was over the objection of Israel and the US), that in the context of the Saudi Initiative would have provided Israel with an opportunity to settle its issues with most of the Middle East (I reiterate that even Iran supports that initiative), and would provide stability with a legitimated government to neighboring territories that would now become part of a state. This would leave Israel within borders better than it had before the Six Day War, in themselves only ceasefire lines which for a long time were of dubious international legitimacy. And with all of its armaments, while the Palestinian state would be demilitarized or at most guarded by NATO forces. This amazingly generous deal, the epitome of the Zionist project since its inception, was rejected by the Israeli government. It chose to use the monstrous abduction and murder of three youths as a pretext to destroy the amazing package deal it was handed, because they think they can do better.

Now, there's this recurring argument as to who is right and who is wrong in this recent flareup, that I think that is not very productive in the way that it is stated. Generally I don't like to talk in the abstract, whether this or that action in itself is moral. Instead, I think you should you should judge people and policy-makers based on the options that are available to them.

It is in this context that the question "what should Israel do faced with rockets fired at its population" be seen; one response is very simple: as a first step, pursue the policies that last stopped this kind of attack, namely, reaching a ceasefire with Hamas; and then see if you can salvage the package deal that Abbas is begging to give you. Since this is a viable option, and since Israel chose instead to pursue an option that resulted in the killing of more than 100 people, and the destruction of countless buildings, including two NGO's for handicapped children (although even if for some reason this turns out to be an entire fabrication, the 100 lost lives are bad enough), Israel is at fault here.

This is not the only alternative it could pursue which does not involve killing hundreds and destroying infrastructure in an open-air prison that has not rebuilt since the last time a major operation was conducted there. Israel could also basically not respond to Hamas other than mocking them for failing to break through Iron Dome. And that's it. Not bomb Gaza once. Eventually, since terrorism will fail to terrorize, Hamas will find something else to do, like maybe lower its demands for a ceasefire.

That is, to me, one of the most reprehensible aspects of this recent operation, by the way; the Dome actually allows Israel room to maneuver diplomatically, so that it wouldn't need to use violence unless necessary. Instead, in the pursuit of victimhood on the international arena, they have completely given away that benefit, and in the process made Israelis look weak. It's the opposite of deterrence. And furthermore, it makes a mockery of the Hasbara campaign when you see people barely jolted from their coffee on the one hand, and entire city blocs leveled on the other.

Let us now turn to Hamas. It has chosen to come under the wing of its enemy, Fatah, and to go into elections which would have probably seen it lose much of its power; in response, Israel has pursued it in the West Bank at the earliest pretext, and then completely broke down the ceasefire in Gaza. The options it has are either to give up completely, or to shoot rockets it knows are ultimately not really serious threats. I have a hard time being angry at them for choosing the latter, despite the damage and injury caused so far. Even then it is offering an entirely legitimate list of demands for a ceasefire. Ultimately it doesn't seem like they have a lot of non-rocket-shooting options to pursue without Israel seeking a ceasefire, because the alternative is for them to disband, and for Islamic Jihad and other groups to rise up, who are likely to be shooting more rockets and not be amenable to any kind of pursuit of Palestinian cohesion.

Beyond who is right or wrong, another important question is who has the power to make significant changes in what is going on. Again, that's all on Israel. It has very simple things it could do and this could all revert to pretty much two months ago. The power differential was, is, and still will be staggering. Meanwhile, there is nothing saying that a Hamas which disarmed and disbanded will have solved anything. History has not shown that to be a cure-all for Palestinian hardship.

This is a real good post

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Back in the 1950's, the government thought that someone should go settle the Negev. Unfortunately, there was a remarkable lack of volunteers. Ben Gurion solved the problem by making an unrefusable offer to people who were desperate enough to accept any roof over their heads - go to the Negev, and such a roof will be provided for you. The result is that the Negev has a highly disproportionate percentage of disenfranchised populations to this day.

I'm saying "that would be ironic, don't you think? Like raiiiiiiin on your rocket day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TheImmigrant posted:

yeah that the rest of France hates. They don't exactly have a say in what the government of France does.

• Locked thread