Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Isn't there a lot of Bedouin in the Negev that aren't recognized by the Israeli government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

This is a real good post

Really? I thought it was a lot of obfuscation meant to distract from or qualify the facts of occupation and massive disparity of force, two things that make my statement "Palestinians are victims" utterly irrefutable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Silver Nitrate posted:

That isn't a good enough reasoning for him unfortunately.

It's not "reasoning", it's the truth. Gaza is so densely populated that there isn't really anywhere that isn't within bombing range of civilians. If he doesn't want to believe it, that's his problem (and bias).

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Really? I thought it was a lot of obfuscation meant to distract from or qualify the facts of occupation and massive disparity of force, two things that make my statement "Palestinians are victims" utterly irrefutable.

Weakness doesn't necessarily make right, not any more than might makes right.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Just because his rhetoric wasn't turgid enough you want to pretend he's some kind of shill for the occupation? Harsh, man.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
What the gently caress does that statement even mean.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

It is a good post. I haven't read much of the rest of the discussion (or anything in the thread, really) aside from that post, but it seemed to be pretty much correct. It of course skirts the more controversial parts of the discussion, but doesn't seem to be whitewashing or underplaying everything. It's like how post-colonial studies have moved away from the victim-paradigm to highlight the more complex role the oppressed play in their oppression - it doesn't mean they aren't the victims of certain acts or transgressions, but it refuses to label them as victims. It's basically about giving agency to the oppressed and recognising them as actual human actors, instead of merely being defined by their oppression.

Nothing wrong with that, right?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There's a lot wrong with it. "Giving agency" can in fact be whitewashing. "Moving past the victim paradigm" is almost bullshit to begin with when talking about subject populations, and moves firmly into bullshit when used by a proven genocide apologist.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Seems like your argument hinges on him arguing in bad faith, I guess.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

SedanChair posted:

I think you'll find that that was actually a real good post. Maybe you misread it? He puts the vast majority of responsibility on Israel for the bullshit over the past few years, not exculpating them in the least while trying to explain somewhat why parties on the Palestinian side still takes some actions that are a bit unwise, maybe counterproductive. It doesn't try to equate the actions of Israel and Palestine; Israel is clearly at fault and guilty of heinous crimes while being unwilling to negotiate on any reasonable basis.

It's not a perfect post but it's not one to go frothing about, unless I completely misread things.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 13, 2014

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Reverend Catharsis posted:

IIRC France is about fed the hell up with all this poo poo and might not be a reliable source of veto for much longer, and I don't think the UK will be for very much longer either presuming Israel keeps up with this crap. That just leaves the US and.. Well that's the only one that really matters, isn't it? Our government isn't liable to ever stop protecting poor widdle Iswael and their constant victimization by the entire non-Israeli world.

http://www.newsweek.com/2014/02/07/are-french-anti-semitic-245474.html

Related question: Is this a sensationalist article? (in parts it seems to be mistaking anti-Zionism for antisemitism but is the gist of it BS?)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

I think you'll find that that was actually a real good post. Maybe you misread it? He puts the vast majority of responsibility on Israel for the bullshit over the past few years, not exculpating them in the least while trying to explain somewhat why parties on the Palestinian side still takes some actions that are a bit unwise, maybe counterproductive. It doesn't try to equate the actions of Israel and Palestine; Israel is clearly at fault and guilty of heinous crimes while being unwilling to negotiate on any reasonable basis.

It's not a perfect post but it's not one to go frothing about, unless I completely misread things.

The majority of the blame is unacceptable, 100% of the blame belongs to Israel.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Why are you doing this? There's actually nothing in that post that puts any blame on Palestinians, quite the opposite. NLJP just said the majority because he didn't expect you to go full anal on him.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

I thought that was what he (Reverend Catharsis) concluded on, unless I'm mistaken. NLJP is probably just tiptoeing by saying "vast majority", in which case you should challenge him to qualify what part of the responsibility is on Palestine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NLJP posted:

He's also very correct that ultimately, Israel has all the power in this situation. The Palestinians have done a great job without much power or agency.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

First Bass posted:

I thought that was what he (Reverend Catharsis) concluded on, unless I'm mistaken. NLJP is probably just tiptoeing by saying "vast majority", in which case you should challenge him to qualify what part of the responsibility is on Palestine.

That'd be fair but I also think it wouldn't really be worth it. I'm completely on the side that Israel is responsible for the current situation and that it is their task to negotiate in good faith, after all this time and a lot of reasonable effort on the Palestinian's side. Beyond reasonable effort, even from Hamas, in the last few years. Also, I'm of the controversial opinion that they should stop their war crimes and ethnic cleansing.

My earlier post was about my interpretation of Absurd Alhazred's post though, trying not to put words in his or her mouth.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 13, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Randomly found this video while looking for info online. I just started watching so I'm not sure how true or bullshit it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etXAm-OylQQ

"...and dispels the myth that there has been a conflict for ages by producing proof that it was peaceful up until 1947 when Israel launched their illegal attacks."

I don't know about the rest of it, but this is patently false. There were constant violent episodes, such as in 1929, and prolonged clashes throughout 1936-1939. The Zionist militias did not arrive out of a vacuum in 1947.

SedanChair posted:

The majority of the blame is unacceptable, 100%150% of the blame belongs to Israel.

I think that when you paint Palestinians as victims you are not serving them well. If they are victims there is nothing for them to do but accept the charity of (white?) saviors such as yourself. If some of their leaders are agents who have suffered immensely and who live under horrific odds, but have nevertheless made impressive choices, and basically put Israel on the spot in ways that the rejectionist front never did, then that should be commended, and it also harbors lessons for the future. Being weak doesn't make it less important for one to be more politically astute, it makes it more important, something that Zionists originally understood, hence their success.

As far as blame goes, reread my post. Try to pretend you haven't already decided that I'm a "proven genocide apologist" (citation needed, by the way). I think Palestinians have had a slight bit of ability to do things, and some of their prominent leaders have done them. This is not the first time, let me add; either in this thread or in another discussion, so I'll recount it, I have mentioned that Arafat had already attempted to try and negotiate with the Israeli government over a two-state solution in 1979. He publicly took a two-state solution position in the UN in 1974. This was not a sniveling statement, but it allowed Israel a non-violent option. The key sentence that may be familiar is the following:

quote:

Today I have come bearing an olive branch and a freedom-fighter's gun. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat: do not let the olive branch fall from my hand.

He took a lot of heat from other Palestinian organizations at the time, just like the Rejectionist Front, true to its name, rejected the Oslo Accords. Again, I refuse to see him as a victim, but instead as a courageous leader who made tough and unpleasant decisions for the sake of his people.

The point of bringing things up in this way is that, even if a reader is not convinced that Zionism is a horrible scourge on the face of Palestine, it all makes Israel look terrible and exposes that it had peaceful options that it actively rejected in favor of war. It is simply not subject to most of the criticisms that baby Hasbara shills suck from Netanyahu's teat. I think it's best to convince the most people of what I perceive to be positive action (namely, effective sanctions and rebukes of the Israeli government, instead of coddling it) rather than answer to the shibboleths of the anti-colonialist left, and reach an echo chamber.

NLJP posted:

My earlier post was about my interpretation of Absurd Alhazred's post though, trying not to put words in his or her mouth.

I think you've interpreted it fairly, although I don't think that I bring up that many things that Palestinians have done wrong, simply because I don't think they have. It is the opposite: I think that they (Fatah, and especially Hamas recently) have made amazing strides to accommodate Israeli needs, and have gotten their civilian population bombed for the trouble.

TheImmigrant posted:

Weakness doesn't necessarily make right, not any more than might makes right.

Using your might to harm others when there is not even a real defensible reason to do so is wrong, though. I mean, I think even Israeli patriots should on some level agree with that, even if they can't see it through a red wall of spite.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silver Nitrate posted:

So I was talking to a family member and he says that Hamas intentionally hides its weapons and people among civilian populations. Is there truth to this at all?

Yes, because they live civilian lives most of the time.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

edit: never mind actually, I need to go to bed.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Believe it or not, Muslims and Jews actually lived side by side in peace for pretty much the entirety of the Ottoman Empire. The I/P conflict is strictly a 20th and 21st century conflict, not a thousand year long conflict between the eternal enemies Jews and Arabs.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

the boston bomber posted:

Believe it or not, Muslims and Jews actually lived side by side in peace for pretty much the entirety of the Ottoman Empire. The I/P conflict is strictly a 20th and 21st century conflict, not a thousand year long conflict between the eternal enemies Jews and Arabs.

Funny how most people in this thread talk about it in terms of the political realities and a local power and land conflict. This is not news.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

NLJP posted:

Funny how most people in this thread talk about it in terms of the political realities and a local power and land conflict. This is not news.

Except a few posts above you Absurd Alhazred claims that the I/P conflict has actually persisted for ages.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"...and dispels the myth that there has been a conflict for ages by producing proof that it was peaceful up until 1947 when Israel launched their illegal attacks."

I don't know about the rest of it, but this is patently false. There were constant violent episodes, such as in 1929, and prolonged clashes throughout 1936-1939. The Zionist militias did not arrive out of a vacuum in 1947.

There were never, in fact, "constant violence episodes" before 1947. Besides, I don't really see how something can be both constant and episodic at the same time. Sure, Absurd isn't saying that the conflict goes further than the 20th century, but lots of zionists have an interest in portraying the conflict as persisting for much longer than it actually has, usually in an attempt to portray the Muslims as barbarous interlopers on the traditionally Jewish land of Israel.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Except a few posts above you Absurd Alhazred claims that the I/P conflict has actually persisted for ages.

:downs: Didn't read that properly. Definitely a sign I need to go to bed as I said above. Sorry.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Silver Nitrate posted:

So I was talking to a family member and he says that Hamas intentionally hides its weapons and people among civilian populations. Is there truth to this at all?

Insurgencies have to "hide amongst civilians" not just because of population density. Its not physically impossible even in a dense city to designate certain areas for weapons and barracks. The real reason is when facing a vastly superior force if you have anything even vaguely resembling a military target it will be instantly annihilated. Demanding the cessation of "hiding amongst civilians" is the same thing as demanding the insurgency surrender to all demands both now and in the future. You might argue that that is the best option, but at least recognize what you are actually saying.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jews had varying degrees of autonomy and oppression under consecutive Muslim empires. One of the flashpoints for Jews and Muslims which instigated the 1929 riots was that Jews wanted to pray freely at the Wailing Wall, which was at the time an alley right next to the Moroccan Quarter, and they were constantly interrupted there. In Hebron they were forbidden from going beyond the 7th Step to the Cave of the Patriarchs, which is holy to Judaism, not just to Islam. These were issues that constantly flared up throughout Ottoman rule, and did not start with the British Mandate.

Generally they were a minority and not considered equal citizens. That Iraqi foreign minister cited earlier complaining that the Partition Plan would cause grief to Jews in his country just proves this point: that Jews ultimately were a contingent part of the population, as far as they were concerned, and would become suspect because of what other Jews did in another country. What kind of "equality" is it that evaporates this quickly? You will find that Jews of Arab descent or some of the most vocal anti-Arab racists. Some of that has to do with the dominant European-descended Jews making them feel that they needed to separate themselves from the Arab enemy, but some of it also had to do with their poor experiences and this sense of contingency in their erstwhile homelands. It is no coincidence that the party they ended up supporting to overthrow Mapai was more explicitly anti-Arab in rhetoric - Likud, a coalition lead by Herut, made up of Irgun veterans and their ideological descendents.

Calling "living as a minority with reduced religious rights and subject to occasional violent attacks" "Peace" is misleading to say the least.

That is not correct. What I said is that "it was peaceful up until 1947 when Israel launched their illegal attacks" is false. Perhaps I should have made that more clear by not quoting the whole statement: "...and dispels the myth that there has been a conflict for ages by producing proof that it was peaceful up until 1947 when Israel launched their illegal attacks", but I think considering my counter-arguments that it was clear from context what I was responding to.

quote:

There were never, in fact, "constant violence episodes" before 1947.

Is that so?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
And now a Home for the Disabled has been hit in Beit Lahia. The metaphor for killing wheelchair-bound people with a hammer has now been surpassed by literal murder of wheelchair-bound people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

illrepute posted:

And now a Home for the Disabled has been hit in Beit Lahia. The metaphor for killing wheelchair-bound people with a hammer has now been surpassed by literal murder of wheelchair-bound people.

Wasn't that already posted upthread?

There's worse(?) news:

quote:

3:50 A.M. Israeli army special forces raided a target in the Gaza Strip, the IDF Spokesperson's Unit reported. According to the IDF, the target was a compound from which long-range rockets were fired. Four soldiers were lightly wounded in the raid, and taken to hospitals for treatment. (Haaretz)

I guess you could say that the ground invasion has started. :smith:

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jews had varying degrees of autonomy and oppression under consecutive Muslim empires. One of the flashpoints for Jews and Muslims which instigated the 1929 riots was that Jews wanted to pray freely at the Wailing Wall, which was at the time an alley right next to the Moroccan Quarter, and they were constantly interrupted there. In Hebron they were forbidden from going beyond the 7th Step to the Cave of the Patriarchs, which is holy to Judaism, not just to Islam. These were issues that constantly flared up throughout Ottoman rule, and did not start with the British Mandate.

Generally they were a minority and not considered equal citizens. That Iraqi foreign minister cited earlier complaining that the Partition Plan would cause grief to Jews in his country just proves this point: that Jews ultimately were a contingent part of the population, as far as they were concerned, and would become suspect because of what other Jews did in another country. What kind of "equality" is it that evaporates this quickly? You will find that Jews of Arab descent or some of the most vocal anti-Arab racists. Some of that has to do with the dominant European-descended Jews making them feel that they needed to separate themselves from the Arab enemy, but some of it also had to do with their poor experiences and this sense of contingency in their erstwhile homelands. It is no coincidence that the party they ended up supporting to overthrow Mapai was more explicitly anti-Arab in rhetoric - Likud, a coalition lead by Herut, made up of Irgun veterans and their ideological descendents.

Calling "living as a minority with reduced religious rights and subject to occasional violent attacks" "Peace" is misleading to say the least.

That is not correct. What I said is that "it was peaceful up until 1947 when Israel launched their illegal attacks" is false. Perhaps I should have made that more clear by not quoting the whole statement: "...and dispels the myth that there has been a conflict for ages by producing proof that it was peaceful up until 1947 when Israel launched their illegal attacks", but I think considering my counter-arguments that it was clear from context what I was responding to.

Is that so?

You use misleading and vague historical facts in an attempt to portray Jews as far more oppressed under the Ottoman Empire than they actually were. Most importantly, you completely ignore the Millet system in which Jews enjoyed privileges comparable to all other religious minorities under the Ottoman Empire. Of course you can find cases of Jews being treated unfairly in certain circumstances, but this is par for the course for any religious minority in any nation-state for the majority of history. Relatively speaking, Jews exercised a tremendous amount of privilege under the Ottoman Empire when compared to, say, England or Spain.

quote:

Under the Millet system the Jews were organized as a community on the basis of religion, alongside the other millets (e.g. Orthodox millet, Armenian millet, etc.). In the framework of the millet they had a considerable amount of administrative autonomy and were represented by the Hakham Bashi (Turkish: Hahambaşı حاخامباشی), who held broad powers to legislate, judge and enforce the laws among the Jews in the Ottoman Empire and often sat on the Sultan's divan.

In other words, Jews were most certainly not second class citizens by any measure, under either mandatory Palestine or the Ottoman Empire.

The wikipedia article you quote is hardly proof of constant violence in the region prior to 1947. Most of the entries in that chart occur either during the Arab Revolt, which is obviously not a period of peace, or post-WW2 leading up to the war. Besides, blacks have been a persecuted minority and subject to constant violence for over a century, but you would not say that the American South hasn't experienced peace for the last century.

Painting the period before WW2 as some sort of sectarian bloodbath in which no one had any peace and Jews were oppressed is deliberately misleading and propagandist.

nigel thornberry fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 13, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's worse(?) news:

Several Palestinians were also wounded in the raid and were also taken to... oh gently caress, right.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's worse(?) news:

And will never end!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

You use misleading and vague historical facts in an attempt to portray Jews as far more oppressed under the Ottoman Empire than they actually were. Most importantly, you completely ignore the Millet system in which Jews enjoyed privileges comparable to all other religious minorities under the Ottoman Empire. Of course you can find cases of Jews being treated unfairly in certain circumstances, but this is par for the course for any religious minority in any nation-state for the majority of history. Relatively speaking, Jews exercised a tremendous amount of privilege under the Ottoman Empire when compared to, say, England or Spain.

Did they enjoy the same rights as sunnis though? They did not, they were indeed second class citizens, and while near Constantinople they were treated well, in the outliers their treatment varied.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

In other words, Jews were most certainly not second class citizens by any measure, under either mandatory Palestine or the Ottoman Empire.

The wikipedia article you quote is hardly proof of constant violence in the region prior to 1947. Most of the entries in that chart occur either during the Arab Revolt, which is obviously not a period of peace, or post-WW2 leading up to the war. Besides, blacks have been a persecuted minority and subject to constant violence for over a century, but you would not say that the American South hasn't experienced peace for the last century.

Painting the period before WW2 as some sort of sectarian bloodbath in which no one had any peace and Jews were oppressed is deliberately misleading and propagandist.
I think it's pretty clear that Absurd is responding specifically to the claim that nothing happened before 1948 and everything before that date was peaches and cream. He also clearly distinguishes between the run up to the I/P conflict in the 20th century (which did see some strong sectarian violence) and the pre-20th century situation (which couldn't honestly be called an era of peaceful coexistence on equal footing, although it was better than in other parts of the world and it generally didn't involve much violence). I think you're also not very clear on what the Millet system was - it gave privileges to the Jewish people, but it still meant that they were second class citizens. They had more rights than other minorities, but weren't on the same footing as Muslims. It should of course be noted that within the context of its time, this was a very generous deal, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Jews and Muslims didn't live on the same footing.

Either way, you should take a step back because you're being unreasonably aggressive at the moment. I don't really care about the tone of an argument, but it's clearly clouding your ability to see what's being said here.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Did they enjoy the same rights as sunnis though? They did not, they were indeed second class citizens, and while near Constantinople they were treated well, in the outliers their treatment varied.

Then so were Christians, and they didn't get their own Middle Eastern state.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Well, yes, Christians were second class citizens too. That's what he's saying. Not because of the lack of state, though.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

OwlBot 2000 posted:

They got Lebanon, at least on paper. The demographics shifted afterward.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

You use misleading and vague historical facts in an attempt to portray Jews as far more oppressed under the Ottoman Empire than they actually were.
They felt oppressed enough to feel the need for using European Capitulations instead of Millets, and to support the Zionists when those came in. Not all of them did, but quite a few, especially after 1929. Your argument is with them, not with me.

quote:

Most importantly, you completely ignore the Millet system in which Jews enjoyed privileges comparable to all other religious minorities under the Ottoman Empire.
Except for Muslims. You do realize that all of these minorities other than Muslims were second class compared to Muslims, right? Also, Armenians enjoyed the same privilege, didn't seem to help them much after the Empire fell. Or is that Zionism's fault, too?

quote:

Of course you can find cases of Jews being treated unfairly in certain circumstances, but this is par for the course for any religious minority in any nation-state for the majority of history.
What's your point?

quote:

Relatively speaking, Jews exercised a tremendous amount of privilege under the Ottoman Empire when compared to, say, England or Spain.
Depends on the time and place. I would say that Jews were treated better in England than in the Ottoman Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century. In any event, much like Palestinians in Israel, Jews compared themselves to how those around them were treated, not like how their compatriots were treated in other countries. Arguments like yours are why people in Israel say Israeli Palestinians should shut up about oppression.

quote:

Again, the Millet system did not mean that non-Muslims were not second-class citizens. Or are you supporting Separate But Equal?

quote:

The wikipedia article you quote is hardly proof of constant violence in the region prior to 1947. Most of the entries in that chart occur either during the Arab Revolt, which is obviously not a period of peace, or post-WW2 leading up to the war.
So you are saying that there was a period of non-peace before 1947? I'm glad we agree that the youtube description was of a false statement, then.

quote:

Besides, blacks have been a persecuted minority and subject to constant violence for over a century, but you would not say that the American South hasn't experienced peace for the last century.
I don't know. Was the Jim Crow South Peaceful? The Civil War was definitely not peaceful. You're really grasping at straws here, my argument is very simple: Jews didn't have a grand old time under the Ottoman Empire, and there were definitely times of conflict before 1947, unlike the claim I was disputing. Even you agree to the latter. How about you stop second-guessing my arguments and get to a point?

quote:

That would be terrible if that were what I was doing. I was not. If I have to make this explicit, because you feel the need to extrapolate from what I did not say to what I believe, Arabs were oppressed under the Ottomans, which is why they helped the British defeat them. That doesn't mean Jews and Arabs had a rosy relationship throughout the Ottoman Empire. These are all unrelated statements.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Note: I do not agree with the following article, just wanted to draw attention to an article and try to make this thread more content focused:

http://www.businessinsider.com/israel-is-raising-the-moral-standards-of-warfare-2014-7

quote:

Israel’s air war in Gaza has now killed more than 100 people. Around the world, there’s concern and anger. These concerns are appropriate—war is horrible, and any number of deaths should trouble us. But given that this war is happening, let’s focus on the narrower question of how to minimize civilian deaths, now and in future conflicts. How bad is this war compared to others? Are Israel’s attacks indiscriminate?

First, it’s important not to get consumed by whether you love or hate Israel. There will be other wars in other places. We need to build rules that apply everywhere. Second, we don’t need to debate the conduct of Hamas. Hamas rejects the whole idea that it’s wrong to target civilians. So behaving better than Hamas isn’t a standard worth talking about. Let’s focus instead on what Israel is doing.

1. The casualty rate. Total deaths in Gaza now exceed 100. Every account except Israel’s says most are civilians. That’s a bad ratio, but it’s skewed by the low number of Hamas military deaths, which can be traced to two factors: Most Hamas officers are lying low (literally—many are underground), and Israel has mostly targeted assets such as rocket launchers, not people. The better measure of Israel’s moral performance, then, is the number of civilian deaths. The latest tallies range from 58to 75, though the numbers will be higher by the time you read this.

How does that compare to other conflicts? Wars differ in nature (ground vs. air, for example), pace, and duration. So let’s look at air wars and compare the civilian death rates per strike. So far in Gaza, Israel has hit approximately 1,100 sites. Using the high-end casualty count, that’s an average of one civilian death for every 14 to 15 sites struck. In the 1999 Kosovo air war, Human Rights Watch found that NATO had killed approximately 500 civilians in attacks on more than 900 targets. That’s more than one death for every two targets hit. In the invasion of Iraq, HRW cited a low-end estimate of about 3,500 civilian deaths but attributed most of these to ground combat. There seems to be no separate count for the bombing campaign. In Libya, according to the U.N. Human Rights Council, NATO killed only 72 civilians in 3,327 strike sorties. That’s three times better than Israel’s performance. Because of population density, you’re less likely to hit civilians in Libya than in Gaza. But in areview of the Libya campaign, HRW also credited “the care NATO took in minimizing civilian harm.”

2. Israel’s practices. On the whole, the worst incidents in Gaza have resulted from strikes on houses. In traditional rules of war, houses are off limits. Israel’sstated rationale for hitting houses in Gaza is that “Hamas was running the operations of their units out of these homes. Some had weapons storage caches in them.” But residents have already asserted that in some cases there was no such basis. Israel hasn’t clarified whether it thinks these houses were valid targets or whether it hit them by accident.

The “terrorists work from home” rationale raises ugly problems for the rules of war. Israel’s warning procedures, however, could become a model. In the Kosovo war, HRW says NATO failed to issue warnings that might have spared civilians. In Iraq, HRW’s report doesn’t mention any warnings during the air campaign. In Libya, the U.N. report says NATO touted its “leaflets and radio broadcasts,” which told civilians how “to avoid areas likely to be struck.” But leafleting is unreliable, and radio announcements about “areas” are, by nature, vague.

Israel claims to be doing something much better. Here’s how the IDF’s spokesmandescribes it:

We phone up our enemies and tell them that we are going to blow up the building, we throw non-explosive munitions, and that is a sign they are supposed to vacate the building. Only once we have seen them vacate the building—and we are talking about [hitting] command and control places and not the terrorists themselves—then we hit.

In other accounts, Israeli briefers have said that they also send text messages and that the final warning shot, known as a “knock on the roof,” can be a mortar strike that hits just hard enough to scare everyone out. “According to the procedure,” says Ynet, an Israeli news site, “it is only after the IDF makes sure residents have evacuated the premises that the missile that could destroy the house is launched.”

In the history of warfare, this kind of systematic warning—direct, specific, double-layered—is unprecedented. It lets the enemy military officer escape in order to avoid killing his family. But how strictly is the IDF adhering to this policy?

In some cases, there’s video evidence of targets being warned or knocked. In other cases, Gazans have confirmed that they received calls or warning flares.

But the IDF’s performance seems inconsistent. In one incident, residents say that there was no phone call and that the strike, which killed six people, came only four minutes after the knock. In another case, a video shows just one minute between the knock and the strike. In two of the worst mass-death incidents, one in Khan Yunis and the other in Rafah, residents say there were no warnings.

Israel has also killed civilians at sites where no Hamas link has been established. The worst was a nine-fatality strike on a café where people were watching the World Cup. Another was a four-fatality strike on a house in al-Meghazi. Another strike killed the driver of a news agency vehicle which, according to the Palestinian news site Ma’an, was clearly marked “TV.” The IDF says it’s investigating these cases.

3. Human shields. Israel says Hamas has inflated the civilian death count by telling Gazans to ignore strike warnings and stand in harm’s way. It’s true that some Gazans have done this. There’s photographic evidence of people going on to the roof of a targeted building after a warning. And in the worst mass-fatality incident of the campaign’s first 48 hours, witnesses say that after residents had been warned and had left the house—thereby making the IDF think it was empty—neighbors and some family members went back in to “form a human shield.” By then, the IDF couldn’t stop the missile.

It’s not clear how often this has happened or what role Hamas has played. Israel cites a TV interview in which a Hamas spokesman praised the courage of human shields. It also points to a statement from Gaza’s interior ministry, which urged Gazans not to “pay attention” to Israel’s “communications on the phones of citizens.” But praise isn’t an order, and the ministry statement may have been referring to a mass robo-calling campaign in which Israel told Gazans to leave their homes in preparation for a ground assault.

If Gazans choose to defy the warnings and go on to their roofs, what right does Israel have to strike them? The IDF claimsit will strike anyway, but it has already blinked. In the case that was video-recorded, “the IDF decided not to bomb the home,” says the Israeli news site Arutz Sheva. “In most cases ... Israel will simply refrain from taking action if Israeli forces are aware of the presence of civilians in the vicinity.”

Do these factors—the fatality rate, the warnings, the shields—make Israel's conduct acceptable? I'll leave that to you. Either way, we need to cut through the propaganda on both sides, analyze the best information on the ground, and put it in context. In some ways, Israel is raising the standards of what can be expected in warfare. Our job is to clarify those standards and hold everybody to them, including Israel.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Haaretz' editorial cartoon for Sunday.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tezzor posted:

Insurgencies have to "hide amongst civilians" not just because of population density. Its not physically impossible even in a dense city to designate certain areas for weapons and barracks. The real reason is when facing a vastly superior force if you have anything even vaguely resembling a military target it will be instantly annihilated. Demanding the cessation of "hiding amongst civilians" is the same thing as demanding the insurgency surrender to all demands both now and in the future. You might argue that that is the best option, but at least recognize what you are actually saying.

Knowing they must choose a populated area, would insurgents bear any responsibility for choosing an area more likely to result in civilian casualties when it is targeted? Like launching rockets from a disabled children's center or hospital?

• Locked thread