Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'll always give Goldfarb the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that you can see trends in the games he's worked on (good and bad), and that the game carried out things that he said he wanted to do, then I'm not going to completely discount his involvement or direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I dunno why people think beating up a cop will make him surrender if he didn't already.

Although I did have a fun moment where my entire team was standing around bullying one tan cop during the lul in-between waves with me beating him with a baton while all four of us crowded around demanding his surrender, he ended up dying to being flicked in the helmet and neck with uncharged baton attacks.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 14, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Darwinism posted:

Honestly I'd love it if Deathwish weren't the two-trick pony of difficulty settings and was actually hard without murdering you outright for either not stealthing perfectly or not finding a good place to hole up and then just popping heads as they enter your chokepoint.

Overkill 145+ difficulty on Payday: The Heist may have been supercop bullshit, but the wrenches thrown into the maps were really fun. "Okay, the thermite is done, time to jump in the safe guys!" Not if these four bulldozers have anything to say about it!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Death Wish has some stuff like that, though they could stand to give every map its own twist rather than a random handful of them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Death Wish has some stuff like that, though they could stand to give every map its own twist rather than a random handful of them.

Yeah, it'd be nice if some of the map changes weren't just titanium safes/cameras.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I dislike that they put so much stock in the Steam forums when PD2stats.com has shown that they have at least some stat mining going on. Assign one guy to spend a week comparing the complaining to your data and when you inevitably see that no, the game is not super easy, you'll see where you really stand. I mean, come on, there was a thread on there before the shotgun DLC about how the Loco needs a nerf because picking any other secondary feels like the wrong choice.

:ssh:It is the wrong choice.

The content that has been coming out since Goldfarb stopped tweeting anything beyond basic PR stuff makes me wonder if Big Bank and Shadow Raid are his last hurrahs or were fleshed out while he was on vacation. From reading the infamous "Dark Souls of heisting games" interview, Goldfarb may be the person who convinced Overkill to add the skill trees and XP based levelling. From reading his tweets, it also seems he's the person who thought the 90-100 curve was a good idea not worth revisiting. To summarize: :shrug:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goldfarb leaving is largely bad for us - as much as we poo poo on him, this is really because he's the public face of the company, which also means he's how we know things are happening. And whatever his design decisions, they were at least transparent.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The pager thing seems like it would be great, but the randomness of it would probably be annoying. It seems like it would be better as a thing where melee kills on enemies would always disable the pager, and then it gets a limited number of uses like pistol messiah (probably one since that's how much you would get on average with the 25% proc rate, but maybe 2 if the theoretical skill was aced).

It would be UNBELIEVABLY frustrating. If it was "the first guard you kill with melee doesn't drop a pager" that would be one thing, but with a 25% chance that means there's a huge incentive to restart stealth missions based on die rolls, which is not something we need any more of.

Holy poo poo all of this is amazing, especially the "more complicated and interesting infamy bonuses" possibility. I mean we're really looking at hopey change here, but it's a lot of fun to think about. Also if they read the steam community as much as they say, and it's not exactly the DOTA steam community, if more of us posted over there somewhat regularly we could have some influence (the Wargame goons, for example, have managed to become fairly important to that game's development without becoming Goonfleet just by talking about things and then posting them in the right places).

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Tulip posted:

It would be UNBELIEVABLY frustrating. If it was "the first guard you kill with melee doesn't drop a pager" that would be one thing, but with a 25% chance that means there's a huge incentive to restart stealth missions based on die rolls, which is not something we need any more of.

I think this summarizes a lot of my problems with some of the systems in Payday. Any system where a die roll determines major hurdles you'll need to deal with starts to engender a "Reset until [set of circumstances] is true", and that is really lousy gameplay.

There are times when it works well (Watchdogs, for instance, where sometimes you just gotta run to that loving crane, or Rats day 2, where they just might turn on you) but stealth missions tend to have the most egregious and annoying complications (GO Bank phonecalls, or Big Bank elevator guards). I don't really like how a heist can have a die roll that says "Stealth ain't gonna be happening here" which just means restart.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The GO bank stuff feels like a response to the boring heist that you get when you're good at locking down the H&T bank. Yeah, cool, you've got everything under control, the guards are down, the cameras are offline, you've got the drill running... Now here's three to five minutes of gently caress all as your reward. I think they were trying to do something to counter that and just missed the mark with some of it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fil5000 posted:

The GO bank stuff feels like a response to the boring heist that you get when you're good at locking down the H&T bank. Yeah, cool, you've got everything under control, the guards are down, the cameras are offline, you've got the drill running... Now here's three to five minutes of gently caress all as your reward. I think they were trying to do something to counter that and just missed the mark with some of it.

I'd have been fine with GO if the security that shows up wouldn't freak out half a mile down the road from the bank thanks to their telepathy. Seriously, how the gently caress do they know anything is up the instant they hop out of their truck sometimes?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fil5000 posted:

I would be totally ok with the random stealth fails in GO Bank if it weren't for the fact that the stealth and loud objectives are mutually exclusive. Like I think Overkill was going for a thing where you try to stealth the heist as far as you can but be ready in case a call makes you go loud, but that doesn't really work out that well because of the objectives basically forcing you to start over from scratch when you transition.

xutech posted:

They did. http://www.1up.com/news/ea-ignore-syndicate-fps-reboot-failure

Payday / Overkill software was formed from ex-starbreeze members after Syndicate didn't do very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCFclriQtBU
Yeah Syndicate bombed so hard it sent the devs back in time to create another company to release a game several months before Syndicate came out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Gate posted:

I'd have been fine with GO if the security that shows up wouldn't freak out half a mile down the road from the bank thanks to their telepathy. Seriously, how the gently caress do they know anything is up the instant they hop out of their truck sometimes?

:cop: "Hey guys, we're on our way"

:whatup: "Just had a dream I turned into a dog, a fuckin' Pekinese "

:frogsiren: OK CLOWNS HERE COME THE DEAD COPS

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There really needs to be an asset, no matter how expensive, for stealth missions (obviously Shadow Raid would be exempt) where you could grab your combat gear and gear up when poo poo hits the fan. Doing so would transform Deathwish stealth from "restartathon when somebody fucks up" to fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

There really needs to be an asset, no matter how expensive, for stealth missions (obviously Shadow Raid would be exempt) where you could grab your combat gear and gear up when poo poo hits the fan. Doing so would transform Deathwish stealth from "restartathon when somebody fucks up" to fun.

If it costs more than $0, why bother with it when you could just restart?

It should be free. It's not going to cost you anything to leave your duffel bag full of guns and body armour in the van or wherever else you entered the level.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love GO bank because I always get relegated to phone duty and Bain's shady-as-gently caress responses always crack me up.

How do you guys feel about Aced Joker vs. Aced Combat Doctor in a Masterforcer build? I've got fully upgraded ammo bags, so it seems dumb to drop 12 points into medbags, but Joker has never felt that useful to me. On the other hand, it might be nice to have medbags for the rare occasion when no one else does. I'm basically just trying to figure out the most efficient way to get to Aced Inspire

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 14, 2014

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aced Joker is the weaker of the two options. Like you said, on the off chance you need to bring medbags, having them fully upgraded is going to be great.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I have aced dominator, but when you can just grab another one rather easily, Aced Joker just seems like a waste of 8 points.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FAUXTON posted:

:whatup: "Just had a dream I turned into a dog, a fuckin' Pekinese "

This is probably my favorite bluff response in the game.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Lester Shy posted:

I love GO bank because I always get relegated to phone duty and Bain's shady-as-gently caress responses always crack me up.

How do you guys feel about Aced Joker vs. Aced Combat Doctor in a Masterforcer build? I've got fully upgraded ammo bags, so it seems dumb to drop 12 points into medbags, but Joker has never felt that useful to me. On the other hand, it might be nice to have medbags for the rare occasion when no one else does. I'm basically just trying to figure out the most efficient way to get to Aced Inspire

Typically, I would say that the health/damage boosts you get for Ace Joker [EDIT: by this I meant "the converted enemy"; if YOU got those health/damage boosts it'd be one of the best skills in the game] aren't so good as to warrant 8 extra points in the skill such that Acing Combat Doctor is much more useful, but since you already have upgraded ammo bags you'll likely want to always bring those. So in the event that you always play with the same people such that there's no occasion where you'd need to be the one bringing doctor bags, go ahead and Ace Joker then spend another 8 points (Basic Kilmer then Acing something lower tier should suffice) and that'll open up Tier 6 for you. In any other case, Ace Combat Doctor and do the same. Since you're working toward Inspire, be sure you also have Combat Medic Ace as well.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 14, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How the hell would a melee canceling out radios work anyway? Wouldn't a smashed or unresponsive cam frequency make them more suspicious?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crabtree posted:

How the hell would a melee canceling out radios work anyway? Wouldn't a smashed or unresponsive cam frequency make them more suspicious?

I think the idea would be that you're pocketing the pager before it goes off, but really trying to logic out the realities of skill bonuses never leads to anything but a headache.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Crabtree posted:

Supposedly, pagers have deadman switch style loops that pull out when you kill a guard, I think this is just your character making sure you don't set it off when you kill the guard.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 14, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The idea with the pagers is that if they get bounced around or hosed with, they trigger a call. So the melee skill would be your guy swiping the pager off the dude before it got jarred by smashing into the ground. No clue why dominating triggers them now, though, unless the guard has a panic button or something. :v:

Edit ^^: what he said

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Gate posted:

The idea with the pagers is that if they get bounced around or hosed with, they trigger a call. So the melee skill would be your guy swiping the pager off the dude before it got jarred by smashing into the ground. No clue why dominating triggers them now, though, unless the guard has a panic button or something. :v:

Edit ^^: what he said

it would be about twice as exciting if instead of randomly proccing you could go up behind guards and [press F to steal pager]. Presumably this would alert the guard but who cares if he doesn't have a pager?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Technicians should be able to steal the pager and replace it with a block of C4, so the next time they go to make a status report they blow up instead. :unsmigghh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Daryl Surat posted:

Typically, I would say that the health/damage boosts you get for Ace Joker

I thought the Ace Joker bonuses applied to the Joker target, not you?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I finally broke. I can take no more Bain.
I'm trying to replace Bain's voice with Mr Torgue from borderlands 2, but I'm not having much success. Any of you more tech savvy folks willing to help me out?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just have the pager bs last half as long. You already halve the time to lockpick doors and boxes. Why not halve the time on everything for Ghost? They are supposed to be faster at everything.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeah, basically every pager call is easily 5 seconds of dead air past the call-in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dominating guards shouldn't have to answer their pagers, or they should answer them for you and it shouldn't count against the total. That would make the skill tremendously useful instead of only sorta nice for those maps with no civvies if somebody gets captured.

I don't know if I'd say those random elements are "instant fail stealth", I can deal with the Big Bank elevator sometimes. It does suck though, especially RNG difficulty for stealth is all kinds of hosed up. So, like, sometimes on hard difficulty you get a bad roll and stuff is really hard, but sometimes on death wish you get a good roll and stuff is easy? Like that kinda makes sense, and the death wish odds are worse, but RNG being RNG means that it kinda makes the whole difficulty thing seem stupid. On stealth anyways.

I agree entirely that we should be able to run to the van and armor up when things go to poo poo during a stealth run. We need this badly. It makes too much sense. :doh: That or I guess fix dodge so that going pure suit is move viable. :shrug:

-Zydeco- posted:

I finally broke. I can take no more Bain.
I'm trying to replace Bain's voice with Mr Torgue from borderlands 2, but I'm not having much success. Any of you more tech savvy folks willing to help me out?

This is a wonderful idea :torgue: Every time the assault starts he could just yell "EXPLOOOOSIONS!"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 14, 2014

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
Does anyone have a fix for a problem of mine? I can't use 1920x1080 even though it's my default rez, and i forced it through the rendering settings xml but my cursor is off by like 2 inches on the menu now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Does anyone have a fix for a problem of mine? I can't use 1920x1080 even though it's my default rez, and i forced it through the rendering settings xml but my cursor is off by like 2 inches on the menu now.

Try this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675769

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
AMD card? I had the same problem here as with CryEngine games where I had to make a custom 1920x1076 resolution in the Catalyst Control Panel and use that in game. I use that borderless window thing now though at 1920x1080 happily instead. Someone linked an open source one that I tried, but went back to the Steam forums one as I had to offset the X and Y placement by -2 each (and in a hasty look I didn't see that option in the open source one).

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
A fully stealth kitted AK 7.62 might not be as good as the CAR-4, but it does crazy damage and looks oh-so-sexy:

61 Damage, No accuracy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dominating guards shouldn't have to answer their pagers, or they should answer them for you and it shouldn't count against the total. That would make the skill tremendously useful instead of only sorta nice for those maps with no civvies if somebody gets captured.

Dominating a guard used to not cost a pager; they specifically changed it so that it does. I'm ambivalent on it. On the one hand, they changed it for a couple of reasons and rebalanced stealth around that change. On the other hand, now that stealth is more about proper sneaking rather than methodically eliminating guards, there's a legitimate risk versus reward choice in taking an immobile hostage but not having to answer his pager.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
e: whoops, double post

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a wonderful idea :torgue: Every time the assault starts he could just yell "EXPLOOOOSIONS!"

Please also replace a couple of the spotting lines. Not all, just maybe the annoyed "LOOK" from Hoxton and the "We're invisible" line from whoever.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Please also replace a couple of the spotting lines. Not all, just maybe the annoyed "LOOK" from Hoxton and the "We're invisible" line from whoever.

I wish the spotting would actually last until the guard is no longer in view. Having to redo it every 12 seconds because it gets lost while you're staring at the guy is super annoying. Similarly I wish cams being spotted just stayed permanently.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

teh_Broseph posted:

AMD card? I had the same problem here as with CryEngine games where I had to make a custom 1920x1076 resolution in the Catalyst Control Panel and use that in game. I use that borderless window thing now though at 1920x1080 happily instead. Someone linked an open source one that I tried, but went back to the Steam forums one as I had to offset the X and Y placement by -2 each (and in a hasty look I didn't see that option in the open source one).
It's actually an OEM card(GT 720 from Dell). It just plain doesn't run the game well so I'm just gonna wait until I can get a better card to bother with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
What's the best way to get the They See Me Baggin achievement, where you have to get away in an Garage Escape with 8 bags?

• Locked thread