Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

DeathSandwich posted:

As someone whos knowledge of Warmachine Tabletop extends to "It exists and is almost-kind-of-sort-of-like steampunk warhammer", can someone who's played tabletop kind of break down what you get with this $65 pack? I assume the units you are getting in this kit amount to whatever baseline racial starter kit you can buy for tabletop, are these guys going to hold up compared to DLC units potentially coming up in the future or will I be hitting situations where I'm going to get wiped out because I wasn't a grognard that bought the turbokossak DLC guy?

To add to Kaiju, mercenaries can hold their own but it's sorta-hard mode. THe main factions will have better synergy. However, merc stuff can be fed into a faction army so that may provide an edge. There may be some gems in those 8 mystery merc warrior units.

One of the things about war machine is that it's brutal and there are things that will just wreck your poo poo. Later DLC will power-creep but there are units from the base game that retain their effectiveness.

At it's heart Warmachine is a collectible card game, but with lumps of pretty metal instead of random boosters. I am not at all surprised at the business model but I am considering throwing money at it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Paper Kaiju posted:

Actually, most of what's in the DLC pack is there to simply give you a fifth faction in multiplayer: the 'Mercenaries' faction. The main four factions will like also be able to run some Merc units, though (assuming they keep in line with the tabletop); but as long as the programmers balance them correctly, they shouldn't be more powerful than their point cost would indicate, just have different abilities.

The rest of the pack is an additional jack and caster for each of the main four faction. The jacks are, in theory, going to be more powerful than the base jacks, but they should be costed accordingly, so that running one of them instead of a base jack will likely mean running less warriors, as well.

Basically, it doesn't matter how powerful future units will be, as long as their cost accurately reflects their power and forces players to drop other units to make room for them (and we won't know that until they are released).

Chiming in on Mercenary chat, I don't think they're gonna be in as the mercenary psuedo-faction at first, just swappable/hires for the main ones. Otherwise we'd have seen it advertised more as 5th faction. Makes sense from a resource standpoint to start by adding DLC/units that you can use regardless of faction. Of course it'll be interesting if some of these mercenaries still have their use restrictions.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

As long as I can have my shield-walls of Man'O'War's, I will be happy. And eventually Vlad. I just want to make the army I played in person, pretty much. But yeah, with the introduction of Hordes the power creep was pretty much on full display.

In comparison, the early mercenary units were often just plain worse than the faction ones, until Eiryss started making a mess of everything (the Mangler and the Nomad are just vanilla, if not bad) . So, I am not too excited for those.

The main excited from the DLC for me is the unique jacks. They all were something that were unique, emphasized what armies were all about, and were fun. Also the Behemoth looks ridiculous.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't remember the Apotheosis casters being all that great, but who gives a gently caress when you have Sorsha and Kreoss.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm seeing double(posts) just thinking about it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Coolness Averted posted:

Chiming in on Mercenary chat, I don't think they're gonna be in as the mercenary psuedo-faction at first, just swappable/hires for the main ones. Otherwise we'd have seen it advertised more as 5th faction. Makes sense from a resource standpoint to start by adding DLC/units that you can use regardless of faction. Of course it'll be interesting if some of these mercenaries still have their use restrictions.

Well Magnus The Traitor is included along with three Warjacks, so that's effectively a fifth faction.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

DiHK posted:

I don't remember the Apotheosis casters being all that great, but who gives a gently caress when you have Sorsha and Kreoss.

Asphyxious. :colbert:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is this game meant to be 1v1 only or will it ever open up to where you get 2v2s and 3v3s and such for teaming up with other goons?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I am a kickstarter backer and played with the original backer beta access. The leaps and bounds WMD has made is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what they do. Given the small size of the maps though it makes me afraid we will never see colossals/gargantuans or battle engines.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I am a kickstarter backer and played with the original backer beta access. The leaps and bounds WMD has made is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what they do. Given the small size of the maps though it makes me afraid we will never see colossals/gargantuans or battle engines.

I would imagine that, if the base game and add-ons sold well enough, and WMD felt that it would sell, they'd craft them into a DLC pack along with maps specifically designed to accommodate them.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Can we just go ahead and change the tag line to "black team bias".

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
One thing I hope the UI update has are rule explanations for the various abilities and their effects. For instance, I only could figure out what Dennegrha's feat did because I looked it up via the tabletop rule book.

Also it seems that currently the TFG cannot shield wall and attack. They can charge and SW but every time I click Shield wall Spear it ends my activation. Fire doesn't seem to apply on hit either.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

DeathSandwich posted:

As someone whos knowledge of Warmachine Tabletop extends to "It exists and is almost-kind-of-sort-of-like steampunk warhammer", can someone who's played tabletop kind of break down what you get with this $65 pack? I assume the units you are getting in this kit amount to whatever baseline racial starter kit you can buy for tabletop, are these guys going to hold up compared to DLC units potentially coming up in the future or will I be hitting situations where I'm going to get wiped out because I wasn't a grognard that bought the turbokossak DLC guy?

As far as more general questions about the game: I assume as is the only vs mode is 1v1, no team matches? Is there any AI skirmishes outside of the tutorial mission currently in to test army compositions? What sort of scale in battle are we looking at, in Warhammer 40k tabletop comparison terms? From what I've seen on the amounts of units on the board, I'm assuming battle size is kind of like a 500-700 point warhammer 40k match?

DeathSandwich posted:

So is this game meant to be 1v1 only or will it ever open up to where you get 2v2s and 3v3s and such for teaming up with other goons?

Don't worry about your units being underpowered compared to the future DLC units. We're basing every unit off of their tabletop counterpart and our squad building system will be based off the points each unit costs, so if you just purchase the base game you should be able to hold up against a player with all of the DLC. Once we get all of the units in and squad customization ready you can build armies that suit your playstyle. Although some units are just plain better than others; Mechanithralls are probably the best low point cost warrior in the game.

Currently we only have 1v1, but we're working on the other modes. In the future look out for team matches. As far as scale goes it's going to be small squads for now; we may open up options for larger armies and maps later.

One thing I hope the UI update has are rule explanations for the various abilities and their effects. For instance, I only could figure out what Dennegrha's feat did because I looked it up via the tabletop rule book.

Also it seems that currently the TFG cannot shield wall and attack. They can charge and SW but every time I click Shield wall Spear it ends my activation. Fire doesn't seem to apply on hit either.

If you mouse over an option in the unit's ability menu a tool tip will appear, which gives a brief explanation of the ability. The Withering may or may not have this, I'm actually double checking right now. We have been discussing possible solutions to clear up confusing things like what an ability does and to give players stuff to do during the opponent's turn, I'll have more info at a later date.

Shield Wall Spear was a bug which arose from Shield Wall's potential to be used as a follow-on to a charge in Protector's Rush. It does nothing, so don't use it. Shield wall is supposed to be a special action, which uses up that unit's combat action and in a future update Shield Wall Spear will be gone. Temple Flameguard are supposed to have Menoth's Howl on their spears, but in the current steam build they don't. In our development builds they correctly apply fire on critical hits and in a future patch you'll see that as well.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Re: cost.

Just wait till it goes on sale for $10 + all expansions on Steam half a year after release like everything else does.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Sounds good to me. Maybe add something that states if you shield wall you cannot attack? As with the tabletop game you can do both. Actually it was really confusing to me since in the TT you can't SW and charge (Both are orders and you can only have a unit do one order) and yet in the video game you can't shield wall, move and attack.

All good though. I'll submit all this stuff via the feedback.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Dr Tasty posted:

We have gotten some complaints about the price, but the early access bundle price tag is that way to match what the backers pledged for that much of the game. Making it any lower would dishonor the Kickstarter backers, which we'd like to avoid. I did post that bit when made this thread - the price will drop once the official release comes along.

I'd like to be a lot more transparent about what the plan is, but we're not entirely independent; we have to work with Privateer Press as they own the IP and the decision making process isn't entirely in our hands. I can't say anymore than that, but when there is more information available I'll give a heads up.

As a refresher here's what comes with the base game: 21 single player missions, 4 factions with 2 warcasters and several jacks each, multiple warrior units, 3 multiplayer maps and more for free as they come along, and multiple game modes. If you don't want to play the game in its current state then that's fine, just wait until August when the price is lower. When that happens you'll be able to make custom squads and paint them to your liking.

The early access bundle also comes with 20 extra units.

I'll post some better screenshots tomorrow when I get back to the office.

Why not just give the kickstarter backers more for what they purchased and then make the game reasonably priced? I don't have any idea what Warmarchine is, but I do enjoy miniature gaming.

Just here to give my two cents, I'd only play this game with a very cheap or free, with an obviously limited game. Maybe a basic group of usable units or no/limited multiplayer.

Basically this game needs a demo, especially since multiplayer is a big aspect. It's hard to grow a community for a game that's niche, which this seems to be with the price point, it's a hard pill to swallow when I don't really know what this is or how it plays.

Especially as early access.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pladdicus posted:

Why not just give the kickstarter backers more for what they purchased and then make the game reasonably priced? I don't have any idea what Warmarchine is, but I do enjoy miniature gaming.

Just here to give my two cents, I'd only play this game with a very cheap or free, with an obviously limited game. Maybe a basic group of usable units or no/limited multiplayer.

Basically this game needs a demo, especially since multiplayer is a big aspect. It's hard to grow a community for a game that's niche, which this seems to be with the price point, it's a hard pill to swallow when I don't really know what this is or how it plays.

Privateer press and the average PC gamer have differing ideas on what would be considered reasonably priced. I'm sure PP has a not insignificant say in pricing/licensing, so it's not as easy as saying "It's F2P now!". I'm sure in PPs Mind's Eye, paying $65 and essentially getting what amounts to 5 tabletop starter kits for Warmachines is a VALUE PROPOSITION. Also, say what you will, if this were a tabletop-styled WH40k PC game, $65 would get you maybe one race's starter kit.

Granted, a demo would be nice, but this is a fairly small team and cranking out a Demo along with everything else probably just isn't in the chips for them when you've still got things like army making and multiplayer to hammer out still as well.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I caved and got all :homebrew: last night. I am guessing that :20bux: for the 8 mercs and the Apotheosis stuff will end up being a good deal compared to individual purchases.

I only played about half of the single player mission. The spell-less journeyman warcaster was dull but I assume that's for player progression during the campaign. I'll hit up the MP tonight. I do agree that a demo package might be a good thing, but I don't think it should be the opening campaign mission. Maybe an arena package with the 4 starter lists, no MP.

Aside from the UI stuff, moving the "go here" cursor felt clunky. Moving warjacks was not very intuitive what with the way the grid is highlighted and other units being in the 'jacks path. Is is possible to have a wide angled camera lens in the engine?

I know ya'll have been getting hammered with the XCOM comparisons but my vanilla XCOM hangs up and glitches fairly often and I didn't have a single hiccup with W:T, kudos! Was fun, will play again.

EDIT:

DeathSandwich posted:

Also, say what you will, if this were a tabletop-styled WH40k PC game, $65 would get you maybe one race's starter kit.

More like 3 factions if you go by Dawn of War standards but yeah, comparative to GW PC games.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 12, 2014

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Tabletop games have always interested me, but I've never got into them in real life for a variety of reasons. I would love to get in on this, but the real threat of a lack of a playerbase is keeping me back.

How customizable are armies in this game? Is it like Warhammer where you can equip individual units with different weapons/modifications for more points in order to make your army more unique? What keeps people playing the same factions from having very similar armies?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DiHK posted:

I caved and got all :homebrew: last night. I am guessing that :20bux: for the 8 mercs and the Apotheosis stuff will end up being a good deal compared to individual purchases.

I only played about half of the single player mission. The spell-less journeyman warcaster was dull but I assume that's for player progression during the campaign. I'll hit up the MP tonight. I do agree that a demo package might be a good thing, but I don't think it should be the opening campaign mission. Maybe an arena package with the 4 starter lists, no MP.

Aside from the UI stuff, moving the "go here" cursor felt clunky. Moving warjacks was not very intuitive what with the way the grid is highlighted and other units being in the 'jacks path. Is is possible to have a wide angled camera lens in the engine?

I know ya'll have been getting hammered with the XCOM comparisons but my vanilla XCOM hangs up and glitches fairly often and I didn't have a single hiccup with W:T, kudos! Was fun, will play again.

EDIT:

More like 3 factions if you go by Dawn of War standards but yeah, comparative to GW PC games.

Dawn of War isn't Tabletop styled in the way that this or Blood Bowl is. For record, apparently the early rumblings of Blood Bowl 2 is that the majority of the teams will be paid DLC among other nebulous things.

Megasabin posted:

Tabletop games have always interested me, but I've never got into them in real life for a variety of reasons. I would love to get in on this, but the real threat of a lack of a playerbase is keeping me back.

How customizable are armies in this game? Is it like Warhammer where you can equip individual units with different weapons/modifications for more points in order to make your army more unique? What keeps people playing the same factions from having very similar armies?

It seems like most of a unit's gear is pre selected and there isn't as much wargear purchases like in Tabletop 40k. The equivalent of 40k HQs have a lot of active abilities and spells at their disposal and vary even from inside their own factions. Judging by what I've picked up from the Warmachines/Hordes thread in TG, the fights in this game are on a much smaller scale and you'll eventually have a large choice of basic troops to bring but wont have the space to bring all of them, so that will matter in it's own way.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I'm curious, what are the Merc units in the DLC?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DeathSandwich posted:

It seems like most of a unit's gear is pre selected and there isn't as much wargear purchases like in Tabletop 40k. The equivalent of 40k HQs have a lot of active abilities and spells at their disposal and vary even from inside their own factions. Judging by what I've picked up from the Warmachines/Hordes thread in TG, the fights in this game are on a much smaller scale and you'll eventually have a large choice of basic troops to bring but wont have the space to bring all of them, so that will matter in it's own way.

Yeah, basically, like in the TT game, when you buy a unit you just get that, there's really not much customization. The customization in the game comes with the synergies between units themselves, and units and the warcaster, who is basically the center of your force in both TT and Tactics.

This fact is generally why PP is able to keep units balanced better than GW has.

The merc units that are poised to be in DLC are:
Eiryss
Gorman
Kell Bailoch
Boomhowler(just him)
Croe
Cutthroat
Steelhead Riflemen
Steelhead Halberdier

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

DiHK posted:

Awesome! Don't worry, it is a better deal. Enjoy your Apotheosis and mercs once we get them in!

DiHK posted:

Allison Jakes will be getting her spells at some point in the near future, but she'll have limited options in the beginning.

Megasabin posted:

After looking at the metrics for the game over the past couple of weeks, the amount of active players currently in the game is quite high. There really isn't a threat of a lack of a playerbase. In the following months it's only going to grow, especially after the release price drop. We've got a lot of WARMACHINE fans waiting or already playing. Not to mention there are a number of kickstarter backers who will get their copies upon release, which will cause a flood of new players.

When the army builder is in, you'll be able to make armies based on what units you possess. Some units will have options for extra equipment, like the Winterguard Rocket or the Trencher Grenadier, but it doesn't get much more extensive than that. Like Panzeh mentioned, the balance and customization comes in the form of how each unit works with other units and Warcasters. The tabletop is very balanced; you'll see a large variety of army compositions. Your go-to Cygnar army may be great against Khador, but a Cryx or Menoth player will most likely have a squad that can effectively counter you.

Not to mention that each Warcaster synergizes in multiple ways with different units, depending on what the caster has how you play them, and each faction will start with 2 per. I'm not an expert on the tabletop, but just by playing our game and discussing these things with the tabletop aficionados here I can see no two matches being the same once we get all of the units and the army picker in.

Pladdicus posted:

The Kickstarter backers can't get anymore than what they're going to get, which is everything in the kickstarter including the stretch goals. That's their reward for backing our game, also including any physical rewards that was in their pledge tier. Like I said before, our studio does not own the WARMACHINE ip and ultimately Privateer Press has the most influence. I'd like to see what you think once early access is over and the game is in more of a complete state.

Demos for games aren't a simple undertaking; they require additional time and resources to create. There's additional engineering and testing that goes into them. Like DeathSandwich said, we're a small team and we're using all resources to get the main game finished. A demo would be nice, but it's not in the cards.

However, that means that we can focus more on the regular updates we are releasing - like the one that's supposed to go out tomorrow. I will be posting patch notes when we get the go ahead.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr Tasty posted:

Awesome! Don't worry, it is a better deal. Enjoy your Apotheosis and mercs once we get them in!

Allison Jakes will be getting her spells at some point in the near future, but she'll have limited options in the beginning.

After looking at the metrics for the game over the past couple of weeks, the amount of active players currently in the game is quite high. There really isn't a threat of a lack of a playerbase. In the following months it's only going to grow, especially after the release price drop. We've got a lot of WARMACHINE fans waiting or already playing. Not to mention there are a number of kickstarter backers who will get their copies upon release, which will cause a flood of new players.

When the army builder is in, you'll be able to make armies based on what units you possess. Some units will have options for extra equipment, like the Winterguard Rocket or the Trencher Grenadier, but it doesn't get much more extensive than that. Like Panzeh mentioned, the balance and customization comes in the form of how each unit works with other units and Warcasters. The tabletop is very balanced; you'll see a large variety of army compositions. Your go-to Cygnar army may be great against Khador, but a Cryx or Menoth player will most likely have a squad that can effectively counter you.

Not to mention that each Warcaster synergizes in multiple ways with different units, depending on what the caster has how you play them, and each faction will start with 2 per. I'm not an expert on the tabletop, but just by playing our game and discussing these things with the tabletop aficionados here I can see no two matches being the same once we get all of the units and the army picker in.

The Kickstarter backers can't get anymore than what they're going to get, which is everything in the kickstarter including the stretch goals. That's their reward for backing our game, also including any physical rewards that was in their pledge tier. Like I said before, our studio does not own the WARMACHINE ip and ultimately Privateer Press has the most influence. I'd like to see what you think once early access is over and the game is in more of a complete state.

Demos for games aren't a simple undertaking; they require additional time and resources to create. There's additional engineering and testing that goes into them. Like DeathSandwich said, we're a small team and we're using all resources to get the main game finished. A demo would be nice, but it's not in the cards.

However, that means that we can focus more on the regular updates we are releasing - like the one that's supposed to go out tomorrow. I will be posting patch notes when we get the go ahead.

My big holdout right now before I drop money on it is the army creator because I have a big nerd boner for it. Will you have an Army Painter to go with it so I can have a bright pink Cryx army?

Are you allowed to talk any about how the army creator is going to work? I assume games are going to have a predetermined total point cap? Will players be able to set lower total point totals for smaller battles? If I want to modify a team in a lobby will that be possible?

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
All I know about the Army Picker is that you'll be able to build Armies based on a fix point amount, but that's it. I do not have any details or the authority to talk about how it's going to work, what sorts of limits are going to be placed on it, or where you'll be able to use it. Yes, there will be an army painter, but I'm not sure when that will be ready.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Will unit sound effects be in? For me I am really taken out of the game when I don't hear anything when I click, move or punch stuff. Same with spells.

Also do you know/can you say if Cyriss will eventually be DLC?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
They are charging $45 and say that $20 will be a bargain for the pitiful smattering of DLC included in the $65 prerelease, you can bet your rear end they want as much DLC as possible, as they are already at day-1 horse armor levels. I will guarantee that Cyriss is an eventual DLC. Do you have your $17.95 ready?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

fermun posted:

They are charging $45 and say that $20 will be a bargain for the pitiful smattering of DLC included in the $65 prerelease, you can bet your rear end they want as much DLC as possible, as they are already at day-1 horse armor levels. I will guarantee that Cyriss is an eventual DLC. Do you have your $17.95 ready?

You sound really mad about pixels of plastic mans. Digital versions of cashcow nerd stuff (wargames, ccgs etc) probably aren't a good match for you. Wait until this game goes live, and then if you like it maybe a steam sale for units you might want?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

You sound really mad about pixels of plastic mans. Digital versions of cashcow nerd stuff (wargames, ccgs etc) probably aren't a good match for you. Wait until this game goes live, and then if you like it maybe a steam sale for units you might want?

Careful, that sort of talk gets you yelled at by guys who'd rather be mad that tabletop mini games might have DLC than actually play the game.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I am having difficulty finding a match and usually when I do find one the other person must be dropping because they don't do anything on their turn.

Anyone else having the same difficulty?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, I wonder what sort of technical limitations there would be to procedurally generated maps in this type of game. My thought being that you could set it up similarly to how you would do it in tabletop and have pre-fabricated cover/buildings/trees that the game logically assembles on a generic map and mirrors it so both sides have similar approaches. Procedurally generated maps like that could make it a bit easier to work in bigger armies or team games without hand crafting maps to support it.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Brainbread posted:

As long as I can have my shield-walls of Man'O'War's, I will be happy. And eventually Vlad. I just want to make the army I played in person, pretty much. But yeah, with the introduction of Hordes the power creep was pretty much on full display.

This isn't the right thread for it, but if you genuinely think that Hordes armies are more powerful that Warmachine armies, please come post in the TG thread so we can break down why that's incorrect.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

Will unit sound effects be in? For me I am really taken out of the game when I don't hear anything when I click, move or punch stuff. Same with spells.

Also do you know/can you say if Cyriss will eventually be DLC?

We are actually in the process of recording and creating SFX and voice acting! I don't know how long until that stuff is ready, but I'll keep y'all posted about it.

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I wonder what sort of technical limitations there would be to procedurally generated maps in this type of game. My thought being that you could set it up similarly to how you would do it in tabletop and have pre-fabricated cover/buildings/trees that the game logically assembles on a generic map and mirrors it so both sides have similar approaches. Procedurally generated maps like that could make it a bit easier to work in bigger armies or team games without hand crafting maps to support it.

It would be nice to have something like that, but procedurally generated content is far out of scope for a game like this and a studio with limited manpower. It would require a lot of work to be done modding Unreal Engine 4 and we just don't have the time.

Sarx posted:

I am having difficulty finding a match and usually when I do find one the other person must be dropping because they don't do anything on their turn.

Anyone else having the same difficulty?

We've gotten a lot of reports about people dropping out of matches, but there are also some bugs we need to iron out. Lately there's been talk of people disconnecting when they see the other player chose Cryx.

:siren: In other news: we just dropped a patch a few minutes ago. If you have the game you can see some changes we made, including a fix to some Warcaster spells, and a new map. Forest Ruins has brighter lighting now! :siren:

WhiteMoon Dreams posted:

Release Notes 7/15/2014
Here's the changes we have in store for you in this update that just went live!

New Features:

Warwitch Deneghra's Ghost Walk Spell is now fully functional!

Warwitch Deneghra's Influence Spell is also now fully functional!

Temple Flameguard now have Critical Effect: Continuous Fire on their spears.

The debuff from the Trencher Rifle Grenade is now described when the target is hit, and its effect added to the affected unit's card.

Units with no combat actions left are now automatically deselected after 2 seconds instead of immediately.

Players can now click directly on a warjack during the Control Phase to allocate focus. Right clicking on the warjack will remove focus.

Units on the Minimap now change color when activated, and when they are no longer able to activate that turn.

Our second map, Trenches, has been added! Prepare for close-quarters, trench warfare!

Fixed Bugs

Cygnar Trencher Rifle Grenade debuff now only applies to the primary target.

Sorscha is now immune to Critical Freeze, Icy Gaze, and cannot be targeted by Freezing Grip.

Mechanithrall Pounce will no longer knock down large and medium base units.

Extra 'Shield Wall Flame Spear' button removed from Temple Flameguard.

Dispel on Kreoss's Spellbreaker weapon now spelled correctly.

Temporary Fix for the Focus Allocation screen extending off the screen. A scrollbar will now appear if there are too many upkeep spells and effects to shake.

Brought down texture memory consumption across the board to fix long texture popping issues.

Known Issues

If one player leaves the match while the other player is in the Faction Selection screen, they are not notified the player left and may become stuck.

Players may become stuck trying to join matches immediately after the host closes that match.

Heavy Warjacks cannot trample through small-base units that are adjacent to one another.

Heavy Warjacks cannot trample if their trample movement would incur a free strike.

If a unit receives a free strike while attempting a run action, the run will be interrupted, and the unit will lose their run action.

AOE attacks do not apply damage or Continuous Effects if the original target is killed.

Set Defense does not increase defense against slam attacks.

Spray Attacks do not ignore Stealth.

The player cannot end the Trencher's activation while targeting with the Smoke Grenade.

Units sometimes will show incorrect facing after moving diagonally or being hit with a Free Strike.

Warjacks will sometimes not play all their attack animations when performing multiple attacks.

Putting focus into Stationary Units will remove the Frozen visual effect, even if the Stationary Effect is not yet shaken.

Special Icons indicating free strikes or control area will not appear when selecting a destination for the Run action.

Units will appear to sink into either platform in the Forest Ruins map when standing on certain squares.

Units can move through the stone blocks near each deployment zone.

Cloud Effects, such as Smoke Grenades, do not block Line of Sight.

Slamming a model into another model does not cause collateral damage or knockdown to the second model.

Not Yet Implemented

Deneghra's Cull Soul Feature

Combined Attacks

Warjack Power Attacks: Throw and Two-Handed Throw

Custom Squad Construction

In the patch notes for this update, we have included the passcode for this forum, so everyone playing WARMACHINE: Tactics can join the discussions here. Looking forward to hearing your feedback on this latest update!

Not mentioned in here is a bug with Kreoss where his attack spells are using his mace's dispel, so enjoy some long range damaging dispels while it's there.

Dr Tasty fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 16, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This seems pretty neat. Acquired the TT books etc for the game setting, so will read up about it like a real sperg-lord and might give the game a shot :)

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can you scrim the AI in this or is your only option right now dueling other people?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
How did you guys get rid of all the negative reviews from the front page of steam? I mean all the negative ones are still there if you click 'view all', but now you can only see the recent good ones.

Is this something Steam does periodically (assuming that it isn't a bug or something) or can developers prune the negative ones?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lord Windy posted:

How did you guys get rid of all the negative reviews from the front page of steam? I mean all the negative ones are still there if you click 'view all', but now you can only see the recent good ones.

Is this something Steam does periodically (assuming that it isn't a bug or something) or can developers prune the negative ones?

I thought it was just some weird algorithm based on overall reviews and ones steam thinks is relevant to you and who is clicking they found a review helpful. Double checking community reviews even games like bad rats or orion: dino horde are showing full positive for me. Same for a few games I thought got a bad rap early on and used to be all negative. Looks like Steam is in general leaning towards positive reviews for everyone now.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one

BadLlama posted:

Can you scrim the AI in this or is your only option right now dueling other people?

There's a single player mission where you battle against AI opponents, but it isn't anything like a scrimmage mode. Multiplayer is limited to fighting other players right now. Also a lot of work is being done on the AI, so it doesn't give too much of a challenge just yet.

Lord Windy posted:

Don't know what's up with that; I was surprised when I saw it after reading this post. We have a policy here of not censoring negative feedback, so it must be something that happened with Steam.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Dr Tasty posted:

Don't know what's up with that; I was surprised when I saw it after reading this post. We have a policy here of not censoring negative feedback, so it must be something that happened with Steam.

I think it was just me (or an algorithm change) as it's all fixed now. I didn't think you guys would do it on purpose, I've just seen it happen before and was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
The more I play this the more I am confused by the decision to not just make this Warmachine snapped to a grid.

Its close, but as a player of the tabletop game I would just prefer it to be an analog of the game I love as this is often confusing with its differences. Was it thought that the actual table top game thought too complicated? I'm curious because literally every Warmachine player I know has the same complaint about the game.

• Locked thread