Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Piell posted:

Only things like demons and angels and poo poo have alignments. Boom, done.

Still doesn't take care of the sizable gaps left in the system. My book also redesigns some of the magic items keyed off of alignment to other thematic things (sunblades bestow negative levels on undead and Light-blind creatures instead, for example). Anyways, I'll let my work speak for itself when I finish it.

zachol posted:

Maybe give this a read?

e: Specifically, the next post talks about spells and there's some discussion about outsiders and DR.

This is a good article. I've already looked over the areas of spells and monsters in my own stuff, but it's a cool resource nonetheless.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Is it wrong that I started reading "gently caress elves" in this thread with the same intonation as, say, "high elves", like "gently caress" is just an adjective describing what flavour of elf they are?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

GodFish posted:

Just make your elves grumpy miners who live underground, drink a lot and love gold. But are tall, willowy and ~beautiful~

One Unique Thing: World's most beautiful dwarf.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

Is it wrong that I started reading "gently caress elves" in this thread with the same intonation as, say, "high elves", like "gently caress" is just an adjective describing what flavour of elf they are?

I'm pretty sure that just means you've been reading Chris Fields supplements.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Arivia posted:

Or Oglaf.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other thing: If Angels and Demons still have alignments, make it make them act really loving weird by mortal standards. Like they were following an inhuman series of taboos that they could not but follow because they don't truly have free will but actually act as avatars of an ill-defined moral concept like D&D Alignment.

I've done that, it works. It had my players reaching for the muskets whenever they ran into a Demon, sure, but also whenever they encountered Angels. Because gently caress if what they do makes any sense, either.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Arivia posted:

No no no, if it were Chris Fields book they'd all be loli elves.

Night10194 posted:

The other thing: If Angels and Demons still have alignments, make it make them act really loving weird by mortal standards. Like they were following an inhuman series of taboos that they could not but follow because they don't truly have free will but actually act as avatars of an ill-defined moral concept like D&D Alignment.

I've done that, it works. It had my players reaching for the muskets whenever they ran into a Demon, sure, but also whenever they encountered Angels. Because gently caress if what they do makes any sense, either.

This does provide a good way to make use of those celestial stat blocks which go unused in so many campaigns.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 15, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Remove good and evil and go all SMT

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Remove good and evil and go all SMT
Make the choices Bad Choice, Bad Choice, and Kill Everyone? (last one is probably also a bad choice)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Judging by what I've seen in humanity lately I don't know that last one might be for the best :smith:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Zereth posted:

Make the choices Bad Choice, Bad Choice, and Kill Everyone? (last one is probably also a bad choice)

Mega Facism, No Rulz, Pass The Buck, Comedy Fourth Option. SMT Tradition.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tollymain posted:

Judging by what I've seen in humanity lately I don't know that last one might be for the best :smith:
I said "probably". And this was about D&D, not real life.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Mega Facism, No Rulz, Pass The Buck, Comedy Fourth Option. SMT Tradition.
I thought it was usually Mega Facism, ANARCHY IN THE UKEVERYWHERE, and I Don't Like Either Of Those Options So It's MURDER TIME

Although SMT3 had like seven weird options including quintupling down on MURDER TIME.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Zereth posted:

I said "probably". And this was about D&D, not real life.

I thought it was usually Mega Facism, ANARCHY IN THE UKEVERYWHERE, and I Don't Like Either Of Those Options So It's MURDER TIME

Although SMT3 had like seven weird options including quintupling down on MURDER TIME.

Generally the 'Neutral' option is kill 6 billion demon random encounters and make all the buggaboos go away without firmly engaging with whatever moral quandaries caused demons to show up in the first place, thereby leaving the chance of what hath been wrought being wrought anew. This is still the superior option always because choosing a side is always a losing move unless you post in Let's Play too much.

SMT 3 had an optional Mom's Basement path, and a double optional Break Heaven's Gate Hail Satan path.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Neutral is less "pass the buck" or "oh no moral quandaries" and more "gently caress you, your arbitrary choice is dumb, I refuse to play along." That refusal just happens to come along with killing all your enemies, which is now everybody.

Then some time later both Law and Chaos go "Well THAT rear end in a top hat's gone, let's try again."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zereth posted:

Be fair, it's Bad Choice, Bad Choice, and Kill God. Always kill god.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
My initial point is that GOOD VS EVIL doesn't really have space for that much weirdness because, well, it's literally the objective force of good. You can't have much grey area there.

Focusing instead on law vs chaos allows for more nuance.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alignment should be replaced with Good vs. Bad. Any killing is automatically justified because if they were good they would have won instead of lost.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Bongo Bill posted:

Alignment should be replaced with Good vs. Bad. Any killing is automatically justified because if they were good they would have won instead of lost.

Ah, the "trial by ordeal/combat" school of thought.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Isn't that how 40k works?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Night10194, et all posted:

In the Elric series (where D&D gets Law and Chaos as alignments from) Law and Chaos worked like this, and formed a more coherent cosmology with only one alignment axis. Chaos is the same as it would later be in the Warhammer franchises - demons out to corrupt the material world into a big ol' soup of roiling nothingness. They've got Chaos Gods and what-not too. Chaos in Elric even uses 8 arrows pointing outwards as a symbol.

Law in it's pure form is overwhelming stasis and IIRC isn't really willing to take any action. There are Lords of Law but times when they are ascendant aren't really interesting periods to be around, and they're as inimical to human causes as Chaos is, despite seemingly being more benevolent. One time Elric goes to the home plane of a Law God and finds that it's just an infinite, featureless blank plain.

Balance is a force in between the two, but they don't really do much either in that setting.

Y'all should really read Elric.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 15, 2014

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

quote:

Elfchat
Saying that elves are played out is like saying that theater is played out because there are no new plots. Yes, elves are well-trodden territory, but that also makes them a shorthand for various cultural movements such as traditionalism and naturalism. Novel world-building might generate player interest for a one-shot, but what is going to be compelling over the long-term are the relationships between the PCs and their game world. I'll never blame a GM (or a system such as 13th Age for that matter) for using genre short-hand to quickly stand up a world so that they players can get to making those relationship choices. That said, I also understand the motivation for going with a novel setting to grab player interest in early sessions and make a campaign feel like a more unique experience (although, as with theater, what is a campaign but the same relationships played out with a different facade and some nuance for interest?)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Man did anyone else read the Shadows of the Apt series that just wrapped up? Never have I wanted to run a game in a setting more. People taking on aspects of bugs and the fraught relation between magic and technology, each advancing in its own way and remaining a potent force.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zereth posted:

Don't forget that each Bad Choice involves you killing one of your friends at the behest of another.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Paolomania posted:

Saying that elves are played out is like saying that theater is played out because there are no new plots. Yes, elves are well-trodden territory, but that also makes them a shorthand for various cultural movements such as traditionalism and naturalism. Novel world-building might generate player interest for a one-shot, but what is going to be compelling over the long-term are the relationships between the PCs and their game world. I'll never blame a GM (or a system such as 13th Age for that matter) for using genre short-hand to quickly stand up a world so that they players can get to making those relationship choices. That said, I also understand the motivation for going with a novel setting to grab player interest in early sessions and make a campaign feel like a more unique experience (although, as with theater, what is a campaign but the same relationships played out with a different facade and some nuance for interest?)

or just like, y'know

come up with new races

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Alouicious posted:

or just like, y'know

come up with new races

Oh hey its that "novel world-building" thing I mentioned in my post! So, in the light of "no new plots", what do you mean by "new races"? Staying within a game's balance framework, what will you make that is more than a remix of existing physical and cultural features with a China Mieville veneer?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Admittedly, I made the Angels arbitrary and weird as hell because I made them D&D Good. As in, the way Good often seems to come out in grogmined alignment arguments about how 'Oh yeah, totally okay to kill orc children, they're Evil after all.' and stuff like that, basically. They were operating on weirdly simplistic and mechanistic ideas of what Good were that didn't map at all to the world they'd invaded because I was basically running 18th century SMT as it was, just with D&D invading a saner world rather than lots of crazy poo poo with Yahweh kickin' up.

I still need to find a better system for that game because that was the game where we all realized Pathfinder is even worse than 3.5 and should never be used again.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yes but have you considered gently caress elves and this hobby.

Have you considering quitting this hobby instead? If this hobby bothers you so much, then quit and find something else to do.

Alternatively, try playing RPGs that don't have elves or maybe even games that aren't fantasy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DocBubonic posted:

Have you considering quitting this hobby instead? If this hobby bothers you so much, then quit and find something else to do.

Alternatively, try playing RPGs that don't have elves or maybe even games that aren't fantasy.

FT does run the most Vietnam war games or whatever on these forums. He's already put his money where his mouth is.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arivia posted:

FT does run the most Vietnam war games or whatever on these forums. He's already put his money where his mouth is.

Yeah I don't think I've ever run traditional fantasy in PbP or in real life. Your move DocBubonic. :agesilaus:

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Forums Terrorist posted:

Yeah I don't think I've ever run traditional fantasy in PbP or in real life. Your move DocBubonic. :agesilaus:

Then why did you feel you needed to interject your opinion into that discussion? I don't care for elves either, but I didn't feel the need to say that. Or do you just feel like telling people what to play and how to play it?

Arivia posted:

So why should he care what other people do? People having elves in their fantasy games isn't hurting anyone. If someone was talking about how rape should be an integral part of their rpg system, I'd understand saying something about it. We're talking about elves here.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Current forum dictates suggest call out threads are relegated to FYAD, further personal jabs are directed there for posting. The chat thread is not the place to have a throwdown over someone else doing it wrong.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

Current forum dictates suggest call out threads are relegated to FYAD, further personal jabs are directed there for posting. The chat thread is not the place to have a throwdown over someone else doing it wrong.

Winson this is a bad moderating call

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG :mad:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Arivia posted:

Winson this is a bad moderating call

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG :mad:

Comments on moderation quality are directed to QCS, also as a matter of general practice.

:smug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

Comments on moderation quality are directed to QCS, also as a matter of general practice.

:smug:
Then maybe you should go back to GBS, which is where your posting goes.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

DocBubonic posted:

At the rate I'm going if I were to follow that logic I'd probably just end up stuffing myself in a box and doing nothing for the rest of eternity.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Goofy comedy FATE games! Taking a little inspiration from MrSunabouzo's Shadows of the Unseen games from Semisponge and Sinatrapod's old dicegames Let's Play and running something as a bit of a palate cleanser from my last few games.

What advice can be offered in this arena, insofar as making a game funny but not going to a level of abusurdity that loses the players?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; unrelated (other than it being one of the games on the ENnie page), but has anyone played Warbirds? The concept seems pretty neat.

I own it, but sadly haven't played it. It seems pretty cool and I'd love to give it a go one day, either as-is or quickly reskinnef into Crimson Skies the RPG.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Mimir posted:

In the Elric series (where D&D gets Law and Chaos as alignments from) Law and Chaos worked like this, and formed a more coherent cosmology with only one alignment axis. Chaos is the same as it would later be in the Warhammer franchises - demons out to corrupt the material world into a big ol' soup of roiling nothingness. They've got Chaos Gods and what-not too. Chaos in Elric even uses 8 arrows pointing outwards as a symbol.

Law in it's pure form is overwhelming stasis and IIRC isn't really willing to take any action. There are Lords of Law but times when they are ascendant aren't really interesting periods to be around, and they're as inimical to human causes as Chaos is, despite seemingly being more benevolent. One time Elric goes to the home plane of a Law God and finds that it's just an infinite, featureless blank plain.

Balance is a force in between the two, but they don't really do much either in that setting.

Y'all should really read Elric.
I do need to read more Elric. The stuff that got put into D&D has been repeated and rehashed so many times that most old-school sword and sorcery feels really refreshing in comparison.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
So, question, let's say you had a friend living elsewhere who was interested in RPGs but had literally no experience at all, and he was interested in starting up a group with some of his friends.
What specific product would you recommend as an introduction to the idea of an RPG to a completely new GM who wouldn't have a way to get advice or a demonstration from someone with experience? Importantly, what in-print product could you recommend, something where you could say "go buy this off Amazon" or "print off these twentyish pages" without it being something from the 80s?

I was having a real hard time thinking of an answer. I kinda feel like "Pathfinder beginner box but don't ever actually get the PF books themselves" fits but is still an unfortunate choice, and the 4e box/intro adventure apparently wasn't very good.
Gamma World? That had a nice box, right?
Does anyone know how Fiasco turns out if none of the participants are familiar with it or "roleplaying"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

GURPS.

• Locked thread