Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Should be golden then. I was in the 50's at 1.2 volts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So when is the 14nm stuff coming out?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

wargames posted:

So when is the 14nm stuff coming out?

It may never, to be perfectly honest. 10nm is certainly very much in question right now.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 15, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Picked up the CM Glacer 240L, fiddled with it a bit to reverse the direction of the fans to allow me to maintain positive air pressure. Played around with the OC, and this is what I settled on:

Cranking it up to 4.8 required a whole lot more voltage, which was something I wasn't willing to accept for daily use (especially since SpeedStep just does not work on this board apparently, even after I updated the BIOS and completely reset it to default settings). Even at this, under full load it gets a bit louder than I'd like (the fan control options on this board leaves something to be desired as well, and PWM control on pump speed does nothing and it stays at the max 3500RPM all the time).

Whatever, it's good enough to tide me over to Haswell-E at the very least.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Rime posted:

It may never, to be perfectly honest. 10nm is certainly very much in question right now.
Source? Intel has roadmapped both Broadwell and (some) Skylake for 2015 which are both 14nm parts.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Since I live like 10,000 miles from a Microcenter I don't really get the big hoo-ha about the Pentium AE since even when paired a cheapest Z87/97 board, the B85 + i5 4590 that costs only a mere 20% more crushes it relevant real world benchmarks. Far less priceworthy than the $180 E6300 Conroes IMO.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Palladium posted:

Since I live like 10,000 miles from a Microcenter I don't really get the big hoo-ha about the Pentium AE since even when paired a cheapest Z87/97 board, the B85 + i5 4590 that costs only a mere 20% more crushes it relevant real world benchmarks. Far less priceworthy than the $180 E6300 Conroes IMO.

The Microcenter deal *is* why it's such a great deal - that i5-4590 is $199 by itself on Newegg, or double the cost of the whole bundle.

Otherwise, yes, it's not a fantastic deal since it needs a Z87/97 board - just get an i3 instead.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cstine posted:

Otherwise, yes, it's not a fantastic deal since it needs a Z87/97 board - just get an i3 instead.

Gigabyte and asus h87/b85 boards can overclock now also.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

For a few days there you could score the same deal for about $130 on Newegg too which honestly would be worth it if you had some use for it. I mean it is retarded fast for what you get, in its own way

GokieKS posted:

Picked up the CM Glacer 240L, fiddled with it a bit to reverse the direction of the fans to allow me to maintain positive air pressure. Played around with the OC, and this is what I settled on:

Cranking it up to 4.8 required a whole lot more voltage, which was something I wasn't willing to accept for daily use (especially since SpeedStep just does not work on this board apparently, even after I updated the BIOS and completely reset it to default settings). Even at this, under full load it gets a bit louder than I'd like (the fan control options on this board leaves something to be desired as well, and PWM control on pump speed does nothing and it stays at the max 3500RPM all the time).

Whatever, it's good enough to tide me over to Haswell-E at the very least.

That is what I eventually settled on too. Did you notice how above 1.30 vcore the voltage would spike in both directions every few seconds by huge amounts? I think the mobo is "holding" it back but ... who cares really at the cost.

I didn't have any fan or speed step issue though for sure though. Might be worth exchanging if you care about those

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 15, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Welmu posted:

Source? Intel has roadmapped both Broadwell and (some) Skylake for 2015 which are both 14nm parts.

Derp, I was thinking 10nm & 5nm. :doh:

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Rime posted:

Additionally, IBM is pouring $3 billion into 7nm research. Cannonlake (10nm) is scheduled for 2016 and in their 2013 Keynote Intel planned 7nm parts for 2017.

Maybe we'll have 450mm platters by then as well. along with rainbows and unicorns

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Note that the nm of the process names aren't the actual nm measurement of the circuits.

http://eandt.theiet.org/blog/blogpost.cfm?threadid=48709&catid=366

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/devices/the-status-of-moores-law-its-complicated

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rime posted:

There is a big possibility Apple's upcoming A8 SoC will be fabbed at 20nm to leapfrog Intel's historical lead in process size, especially since the new Qualcomm modem is already 20nm and Apple's heavy investments into TSMC process.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

So it's the bit wars for the modern age :v:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Palladium posted:

There is a big possibility Apple's upcoming A8 SoC will be fabbed at 20nm to leapfrog Intel's historical lead in process size, especially since the new Qualcomm modem is already 20nm and Apple's heavy investments into TSMC process.

Because 20nm < 14nm?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
14nm parts aren't on the market yet, they're all 22nm.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

That IEEE article is a great summary of how hosed things are getting in foundry land. :v:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There's no doubt we're reaching the limits of silicon.

The future may be the spiritual successor to the vacuum tube.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Palladium posted:

Combat Pretzel posted:

14nm parts aren't on the market yet, they're all 22nm.
TSMC's new 20nm planar process is not as good as Intel's highly mature 22nm FinFET process, much less the upcoming Intel 14nm FinFET process. Keep in mind that even pessimistic projections have Intel's 14nm mobile processors in the hands of consumers by the end of the year, and TSMC won't be close to catching up until their 16nm FinFET process, so Intel is almost a full process cycle ahead.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Also, I have to imagine anyone who follows the GPU market has to be chuckling at the idea of TSMC of all people leapfrogging Intel's process size lead, even with Apple investment.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

You know the thought really is kind of amusing, especially these days. But I'd really love if something came out of nowhere that kicked rear end.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rime posted:

That IEEE article is a great summary of how hosed things are getting in foundry land. :v:

With the important caveat at the end

quote:

Many people in the industry, who have watched showstopper after showstopper crop up only to be bypassed by a new development, are reluctant to put a hard date on Moore’s Law’s demise. “Every generation, there are people who will say we’re coming to the end of the shrink,” says ASML’s Arnold, and in “every generation various improvements do come about. I haven’t seen the end of the road map.”

You can pull up articles from the 90's all the way through today that predict the demise of Moore's law at [current date] plus five years (tops!). And smartypants engineers figure it out every time. The end of process shrinking cadence of 18-24 months will probably come, but I don't think it will be soon.

However, EUV patterning with any kind of good yield and volume (as far as I know) is still a HUGE question mark right now. At least it was a year ago when I did a lot of reading about it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Can someone explain to me what Intel means by the Pentium G3258 only supporting 1333 mhz ram? Even if the motherboard sets and reports something faster, is it being limited in some other way?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

1gnoirents posted:

Can someone explain to me what Intel means by the Pentium G3258 only supporting 1333 mhz ram? Even if the motherboard sets and reports something faster, is it being limited in some other way?
Nope, it's just a default speed limit so if your motherboard supports setting non-default speeds (like any board you might buy) you are unaffected. Well, technically you're overclocking so I suppose you might get unlucky and get a CPU with a bum memory controller, but I doubt it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Cool thanks, I was caught a little off guard by it. After I enabled XMP it immediately went to 2133 mhz so I guess it can handle at least that

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alereon posted:

TSMC's new 20nm planar process is not as good as Intel's highly mature 22nm FinFET process, much less the upcoming Intel 14nm FinFET process. Keep in mind that even pessimistic projections have Intel's 14nm mobile processors in the hands of consumers by the end of the year, and TSMC won't be close to catching up until their 16nm FinFET process, so Intel is almost a full process cycle ahead.

Sure, if the market success is entirely ALL about process nodes which clearly isn't. As Intel as much as they like to harp about their process advantages and CPU performance, there is no question that the general consumer chip market has been trending towards <$20 Apple in-house and Qualcomm SoCs, the former having absolute 100% control over chip design and the latter with the best in class modem designs as key advantages over Intel, while both also has more than the enough performance for their target market.

Another overlooked about Intel's strategy of aggressive process size reduction and CPU improvements for the past few years has already backfired by having no choice but to provide the PC market with TOO much CPU power in order to sell chips. A $50 SB Pentium chip 3 years ago still is now vastly overkill to 90% of the PC population. If a 2500K gamer doesn't want a Haswell upgrade, why would the average consumer even care, just to save another 10W of power consumption?

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 17, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Palladium posted:

If a 2500K gamer doesn't want a Haswell upgrade, why would the average consumer even care, just to save another 10W of power consumption?
Not disagreeing with your point, but I was under the impression that some 2500k gamers didn't want Haswell upgrades ostensibly because they weren't fast enough to merit throwing more money at a new high-end motherboard and CPU. This almost reinforces your post, since it's Intel's ballgame to play regardless on development decisions.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

At least the high end PC market is growing vs shrinking now though

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of process difficulties: Intel 14nm desktop processors delayed again to Q3 2015.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rastor posted:

Speaking of process difficulties: Intel 14nm desktop processors delayed again to Q3 2015.

Glad i went ahead and got a devils rear end in a top hat instead of waiting

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does Chip Loco have any reputation or is this all likely BS? E5 2600 and 1600 v3 lineups:

http://www.chiploco.com/haswell-ep-e5-2600-v3-specs-35055/
http://www.chiploco.com/intel-haswell-ep-e5-1600-v3-35072/

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Palladium posted:

Sure, if the market success is entirely ALL about process nodes which clearly isn't. As Intel as much as they like to harp about their process advantages and CPU performance, there is no question that the general consumer chip market has been trending towards <$20 Apple in-house and Qualcomm SoCs, the former having absolute 100% control over chip design and the latter with the best in class modem designs as key advantages over Intel, while both also has more than the enough performance for their target market.
I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. Intel had product wins for their Medfield smartphone processors despite the fact that they were garbage, merely because their process technology (32nm at the time) was so compellingly better than the competition. Bay Trail has also found success despite being significantly behind competing ARM-based SoCs, again because Intel's 22nm process allows so much better frequency/voltage scaling, which kind of fixes a lovely architecture through brute force.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

japtor posted:

Does Chip Loco have any reputation or is this all likely BS? E5 2600 and 1600 v3 lineups:

It certainly looks plausible; it follows the same basic Xeon pricing structure and matches core growth we saw SB->IB. The top-end 16/18 core parts probably look similar to the 2695/2697 v2s.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

japtor posted:

18 cores! :holymoley:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Palladium posted:

Another overlooked about Intel's strategy of aggressive process size reduction and CPU improvements for the past few years has already backfired by having no choice but to provide the PC market with TOO much CPU power in order to sell chips. A $50 SB Pentium chip 3 years ago still is now vastly overkill to 90% of the PC population. If a 2500K gamer doesn't want a Haswell upgrade, why would the average consumer even care, just to save another 10W of power consumption?

But us with i7 860s want to upgrade, and want quicksync for streaming.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

Glad i went ahead and got a devils rear end in a top hat instead of waiting

Ok that's it, I'm picking up devil's oval office too whenever nvidia gets of their asses with the proper Maxwell chips now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
joke's on you guys, i'm getting haswell-e and totally screwing myself when intel suddenly decides to move broadwell-e off of x99 to a new chipset after all

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just hope there's an M-ATX X99 board. They've demo'd an ASRock one so surely it will hit production, right? :ohdear:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 18, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Are there technical reasons for Intel to abandon 2011?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Rime posted:

I just hope there's an M-ATX X99 board. They've demo'd an ASRock one so surely it will hit production, right? :ohdear:
Where are images of this board? I want to simultaneously laugh at and drool over it.

Don Lapre posted:

Are there technical reasons for Intel to abandon 2011?
None that we know of, but LGA 2011-2 is most definitely a thing, and worse things have happened as a result of process change before, I'm sure.