Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

mlmp08 posted:

Who has that gif of three or four of us all ramming the last remaining enemy, a pby, in the space if ten seconds?

The OP does:

Sard posted:

Where do you find the chat logs? I'd love to know what they're saying when you reply to Russian text with "Gesundheit." Also to find out what the context is for using "potato" as an insult.

127.0.0.1:8111 in your browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I'm the guy ramming it last once it's already lost a wing. :japan:
That duel event was the poo poo and they really need to bring it back soon.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Gaijin needs to get hosed re: battle ratings and fix their poo poo. I know it's been rehashed a few hundred times but it's really loving silly that what is essentially the same plane (P40, P39, F6F) has different battle ratings in different nations, and it's even more retarded when it's the same nation like with the Typhoon Mk 1b and Typhoon Mk 1b/L.

Typhoon 1B/1BL have different engines, and the BL is totally worth that extra .3 BR. What I don't get is why Gaijin insist on using x.0, x.3, x.7, etc., instead of just just normal numbers.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Oh pardon me then, I just assumed it was a gimmick to get people to buy the Ace Pack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Heliosicle posted:

The OP does:

I love how the plane that takes off the H6K's wing does not have a wing itself.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gaijin needs to get hosed re: battle ratings and fix their poo poo. I know it's been rehashed a few hundred times but it's really loving silly that what is essentially the same plane (P40, P39, F6F) has different battle ratings in different nations, and it's even more retarded when it's the same nation like with the Typhoon Mk 1b and Typhoon Mk 1b/L.

Maybe it's just because american queues are so overfilled, but it feels like I always get hella overmatched when trying the P-47. It displays an 3.0 battle rating for me, so I'd expect to face stuff like 109E/F2s, 190A-1s, later Hiens and a mix of A6M2s and A6M2-Ns. But seemingly all I get are 109G2s and Ki-84s all day long, often making up the majority of the enemy team.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Gaijin may have just switched on matchmaking for CA RB wherein you are locked into the vehicle you had selected in the hangar. And they're not matching vehicle types between teams, so enjoy a 6v6 where one team is all tanks and the other has three.

:downsbravo:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Perestroika posted:

Maybe it's just because american queues are so overfilled, but it feels like I always get hella overmatched when trying the P-47. It displays an 3.0 battle rating for me, so I'd expect to face stuff like 109E/F2s, 190A-1s, later Hiens and a mix of A6M2s and A6M2-Ns. But seemingly all I get are 109G2s and Ki-84s all day long, often making up the majority of the enemy team.

If you're queuing for RB the P-47 has a 3.7 BR. You can switch what BR and other assorted info is displayed by clicking one of the buttons in the bottom right of the research screen.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

Sard posted:

Gaijin may have just switched on matchmaking for CA RB wherein you are locked into the vehicle you had selected in the hangar. And they're not matching vehicle types between teams, so enjoy a 6v6 where one team is all tanks and the other has three.

:downsbravo:

It looks like aircraft can spot any vehicle less than a kilometer away after yesterday's micro-patch, which has really turned the tables in favor of aircraft - why worry about getting shot down when you can just place your bomb cursor over X number of tanks and wipe them all out?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is there a difference between the Do-217 J1 and J2? Also, these planes feel really cumbersome and slow compared to the Bf-110c. Are they actually supposed to be an upgrade or are the planes just lovely?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Elmnt80 posted:

Is there a difference between the Do-217 J1 and J2? Also, these planes feel really cumbersome and slow compared to the Bf-110c. Are they actually supposed to be an upgrade or are the planes just lovely?

The Do 217s are literally bombers with the nose full of guns. Ram Hunt other bombers unless you're confident in going for fighters in a bomber.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Fun H6K4 trick I've only tried in AB: Dive from 5k, accelerate further with ground effect from the waters surface, then pull back on the stick the hardest you can. Can you get more than 15G? You can also keep it spinning in fast small circles for minutes to astound pubbies and get hackusations.

(..fuckit, time to try it in RB)

(I've killed jets in the T3 217 bomber, forward facing funs)

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Perestroika posted:

The P-47 is 3.7 in RB isn't it?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

With the new system for Combined Arms where the matchmaker knows exactly what you'll be flying or driving, they need to make maps have a certain number of slots for each vehicle type or something, because having a team of 90% Flakwagons or Yaks is pretty loving silly.

Edit: Looks like they fixed it nevermind. Just assumed this was the ~new system~ instead of some random bug.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 17, 2014

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
Good god I hate the new ground forces map, Carpathia I think it was? It always turns into both sides camping opposing hills shooting into each others spawns. Is there any good way to move around without having the tanks on either hill just blasting you to pieces?

I've tried flanking the long way around the hill with the castle ruins on it but most of the time I get spotted through the hill and a few Panthers are just waiting for me to try to get over it

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Oh goody, the authorization server is down. I can't even log into the forum to complain about it.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

El Disco posted:

Oh goody, the authorization server is down. I can't even log into the forum to complain about it.

Send them a tweet I guess.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

AceRimmer posted:

I don't understand why it is so difficult to just slap some invisible landing gear on the wings, make the gear immune to damage and call it a day. :shrug:

Or just make the wings stop taking damage from collisions with the ground and separate collision modelling from environment and other planes so you can still die from ramming. Assuming someone tried to cheese this by dragging their wings at high speed, the plane would tumble into an area that would hit and cause it to explode.

Gaijin often seems content with just having something horribly broken until they actually fix it properly.

BitBasher posted:

Wow, the P40 is my best plane in Tier II right now, although I admittedly know poo poo and have been playing less than a week. I get up to 1000, spot someone turnfighting with poo poo energy and going slow and dive on them at 500+ kph and shoot the poo poo out of them as you pass. Keep going straight, don't turn to pursue if you don't kill them. Don't turn. Just go straight and gain your altitude back and repeat the process. There aren't a lot of planes that can do poo poo about it if they are low because by the time they turn to me I'm already 500m above them and a kilometer away. It's not uncommon to live through a whole game in it in arcade mode with some situational awareness.

This is why energy fighting rules and why earlier in the thread we were talking about how even turn fighters with poor energy retention should fly like energy fighters when they can get away with it. Master it early on because soon in Era III, you will be fighting Germans in their prime who absolutely specialize in this style of fighting and can keep up with you in a dive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMVZmydUIXQ

BitBasher posted:

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me if something is hosed about the F4F-3's flight model? It seems to absolutely lose all turning ability when I dive for a pass. On paper it has a better turn rate than my p40 but at speed doing a pass it just ceases the ability to turn at all making it hard to do any fine adjustments to hit a target. Is this a common thing? It's loving annoying.

All planes lose their control when going too slow or too fast.

Go too slow and you will stall. Go too fast and compression will lock you into whatever direction you're flying in because the control surfaces are literally struggling to move. The F4F can turn decently at lower speeds but it can also dive rather well for how low tier it is. After a while, you will get used to predicting and adjusting for the lines you want to draw at high speeds but it certainly takes some practice.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm not sure I like tank combat as much as plane combat. It's cool in some ways but also horrible in others (and, for some reason, the tanks are much harder on my system than planes are). It makes me wonder what the maps will be like when they're combined, though.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Welp, the F9F-5 is kinda poo poo. Handles like a truck and pretty much noticeably worse in every way than the F9F-2. And it gets thrown into the Sabre/Mig-15 playground.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Welp, the F9F-5 is kinda poo poo. Handles like a truck and pretty much noticeably worse in every way than the F9F-2. And it gets thrown into the Sabre/Mig-15 playground.

The first one gets Mig15 as well.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
The p40 is one of my favorite planes of the war but man, it's tiered way above some extremely overpowered planes. We badly need tomahawks and p40bs since losing a few 50 cals usually seems to be worth at least a few br steps.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

The first one gets Mig15 as well.

OK, it gets thrown exclusively into the Mig-15/Sabre playground.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warbadger posted:

are you comparing the stock, new plane to the earlier one you have some upgrades for?

Jet upgrades can be pretty huge

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

are you comparing the stock, new plane to the earlier one you have some upgrades for?

Jet upgrades can be pretty huge

Unfortunately not. Got most of the important upgrades thanks to the July 4th event and it remains godawful compared to the previous model. While you can't trust the stat cards, even there it actually lists lower performance in everything but max speed. I can definitely tell the difference between the two, comparatively sluggish turning and course adjustments when lining up shots plus noticeably slower climb at 15 degrees. It's kinda depressing because I was really looking forward to it, and figured it would be an improvement (the -5 is the model they replaced the engine with a much better performing one).

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 17, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just got the P-39
Holy poo poo, no one can shoot me down unless I can I get super fixated on a bad target. I'm always top 3 now. This is beautiful

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

P39 is just magical for anti-bomber patrol too. I don't even know why you'd fly a bigass plane like that at or above BR 3.7, at least in arcade, but people constantly let you rack up 37mm kills. :iia:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

P39 is just magical for anti-bomber patrol too. I don't even know why you'd fly a bigass plane like that at or above BR 3.7, at least in arcade, but people constantly let you rack up 37mm kills. :iia:

It's the best plane ever, and pubbies fly against you like it's an easy target or something. Should I bother upgrading the 37mm?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

This is the best match I've ever had in an RB Beaufighter and it shouldn't have happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGYdhXbVUg

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AirborneNinja posted:

This is the best match I've ever had in an RB Beaufighter and it shouldn't have happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnGYdhXbVUg

Nice round and all, but that poo poo was unwatchable due to your squirrel-on-meth camera control technique. :psyduck:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

The Orange Mage posted:

Nice round and all, but that poo poo was unwatchable due to your squirrel-on-meth camera control technique. :psyduck:

I'm guessing he had it on follow pilot view and having it on a faster timescale made it look spazzy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Adrian Owlsley posted:

The p40 is one of my favorite planes of the war but man, it's tiered way above some extremely overpowered planes. We badly need tomahawks and p40bs since losing a few 50 cals usually seems to be worth at least a few br steps.

As that video so eloquently put it; rating planes firstmost by their armament to set (the initial) BR is pretty dumb. Who cares if you get a extra pair of .50cals or a 20mm if you can't actually put it to use because you are flying a trashcan?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Well after the horrifying grind that was playing the Tiger and the last Panzer IV before the Panther, enduring some of the most horrible MEIN SNIPER teams and an airgame where Russia has Yers, B-25s, Yak-9s, and so on, the Tiger II is a bit of a relief. It doesn't suck! And the German players at this tier seem to "get" map control.

Lost the first round but killed a T-44 and SU-122P-or-whatever. :toot:

Sard fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 17, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I have looked into the face of the devil himself.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Don't be mean. Bombing bases is useful for your teams chances of winning. *flips coin*

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Been taking a break for the game and its good to see the devs are on a communication spree at the moment.

One thing they confirmed is interesting -

quote:

have the devs chosen between the Hunter and Swift?

Hunter F1

So the 4 Aden armed monster is going to be in game. Faster, as agile as the other end game jets and armed with almost modern day cannons (think .50 M3's but firing 30mm cannon shells). Guess Britain becomes the top Jet dog, until they increase the games time period. Well except for people who are too trigger happy.

ukle fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 17, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The most important part:

quote:

quote:

Do you have any plans for German flying boats ?

Yes

e: asking the hard questions

quote:

What is your reason for ignoring my suggestion to be able to remove the headrest on the Me 262's?

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I want to see the Avro Arrow. But I guess we'll have to settle for the CF-100 Canuck instead in the future, or the Sabre in the German tree.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 17, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

YellerBill posted:

If you're queuing for RB the P-47 has a 3.7 BR. You can switch what BR and other assorted info is displayed by clicking one of the buttons in the bottom right of the research screen.

Well dang, and here I thought just switching into the relevant queue would adjust the data. Shows what I know :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Whenever I fly it, I wonder why the P47 has that low BR.

When I fly Japan against US T3 and below, I am reminded.

• Locked thread