Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Met posted:

A mistaken copy paste.

There's a super neat warp jump mod in that vid. Had to find it. I'll need to give it a shot sometime.

Doesn't use Liquid Ozone as a resource. Immersion ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Iceshade posted:

And then there are the early access games where early access is exclusive, where in some cases the alpha is 200 dollars :suicide: , beta 100 and release a normal 50.

If you're talking about Planetary Annihilation, that made perfect sense. Their early high-level backers paid quite a lot of money, in part for the privilege of getting early access to the game. You can argue that paying money for early access is dumb, and I'd probably agree (in most cases), but it is (part of) what they paid for. I'm pretty sure that alpha access was reserved for the very highest levels and beta to slighty lower levels too.

When they released the early versions on steam for non-backers too, they could have made it a lot cheaper, but that would have probably pissed off their high-level backers.

So, important distinction in PA's case: the high price point did not correlate with a higher quality game, but with getting earlier access to (an early version of) the game. Starting at 200 or whatever and going down to normal prices as they approach a finished game makes perfect sense.

It is quite different from KSP because that didn't start from a kickstarter, and didn't have backers paying for early or very early access. Didn't they actually start with a free demo? I forgot. Anyway, price point here doesn't correlate with getting early access, but with getting a better and more finished game.

Both completely different but completely valid business models/funding strategies.

Do note that this isn't a post in favor of 'early access' games, far from it. I'm giving most early access games a very wide berth, only buying when I feel I'll get an immediate return on my money. So far I only got KSP, Prison Architect, and I think there is a 3rd one but I can't think of what it was. So I didn't even get PA yet because I don't think getting early access was worth the money. Doesn't mean that I think it was a dumb idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I buy a fair few EA games and probably about half of them haven't finished and don't show much sign of doing so any time soon, half of those again are a bit crap.

The first half though are fun even without being finished, so I don't really mind if they finish or not, I bought a game and messed about with it for a while and had some fun, maybe doing some development myself changed my mind but I don't really care if a game is finished so long as it's fun.

EA is really a case of caveat emptor, I think. If you aren't comfortable paying for what's on offer, don't. Same with DLC, frankly. You don't have to buy things just because they're available for purchase.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

uXs posted:

Both completely different but completely valid business models/funding strategies.

Do note that this isn't a post in favor of 'early access' games, far from it. I'm giving most early access games a very wide berth, only buying when I feel I'll get an immediate return on my money. So far I only got KSP, Prison Architect, and I think there is a 3rd one but I can't think of what it was. So I didn't even get PA yet because I don't think getting early access was worth the money. Doesn't mean that I think it was a dumb idea.

Well not just PA, but yeah. I agree, but still think it's a bit silly. But I suppose it's more like a reward for backing the kickstarter. It's just that I see the trend more lately (without the whole kickstarter backing/perk thing).

Mount and Blade I bought really early. That was definitely an amazing purchase.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 17, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So now that we're done talking about the virtues/pitfalls of early access for the millionth time, it's time to ask ourselves: will it be today?

For the millionth time.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Solid Poopsnake posted:

will it be today?

Just think no, that way you wont be disappointed and will have a pleasant surprise if it does finally arrive.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ukle posted:

Just think no, that way you wont be disappointed and will have a pleasant surprise if it does finally arrive.

I want to do this, and it's how I normally handle game releases. .24's got me unusually hype.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I stopped hyping myself up when they decided to scrap coop from Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. That really hurt.

Besides, the first thing that I'll do in 0.24 is make some kind of (not-so)ICBM launcher and try to hit some targets. And then rage at the 2.5km cutoff range.

(but secretly I'm pretty hyped :ssh: )

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 17, 2014

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I have been having a very slow day at work, and the question of when the release of 0.24 will occur isn't helping me much. I'm sad that there isn't a keyboard shortcut in Firefox to reload all tabs at once. I need to use the mouse (and then a menu hotkey) to do so.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Inglonias posted:

I have been having a very slow day at work, and the question of when the release of 0.24 will occur isn't helping me much. I'm sad that there isn't a keyboard shortcut in Firefox to reload all tabs at once. I need to use the mouse (and then a menu hotkey) to do so.

Dude, just follow them on twitter or something.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Also keep an eye on the SteamDB history page, it gives you a good idea whats going on testing/QA wise.
http://steamdb.info/app/220200/history/

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

nimper posted:

Dude, just follow them on twitter or something.

Zaran posted:

Also keep an eye on the SteamDB history page, it gives you a good idea whats going on testing/QA wise.

Those are three of the tabs I'm reloading every 30 seconds right there. (The official KSP twitter, Max's twitter, and the SteamDB page) Thanks though!

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly, get a clean install of KSP and put it in a separate folder (works with the Steam version, I use steam and have 5 different 23.5 installs) and install Real Solar System with Realism Overhaul and just try to get to orbit.

If you want a challenge that is.

(Protip, you will want FAR and at least 12K dV, to give you some wiggle room)

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Zaran posted:

Honestly, get a clean install of KSP and put it in a separate folder (works with the Steam version, I use steam and have 5 different 23.5 installs) and install Real Solar System with Realism Overhaul and just try to get to orbit.

If you want a challenge that is.

(Protip, you will want FAR and at least 12K dV, to give you some wiggle room)

I do appreciate the suggestion, but...

Inglonias posted:

I have been having a very slow day at work,...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Inglonias posted:

I do appreciate the suggestion, but...

Heh look at this guy who doesn't play KSP at work via teamviewer.

(No, it's not a very fun experience unless you let mechjeb do all your maneuvers)

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

OwlFancier posted:

The first half though are fun even without being finished, so I don't really mind if they finish or not, I bought a game and messed about with it

But you never received a finished game. e: You basically paid them to be a beta tester, which is a service to them. Developers get a lot of stuff out of this deal. They get a wide beta test audience, money before they've launched the product, Steam's platform to do stuff like host forums and advertise for them. At some point you have to hold their feet to the fire and say it's not cool if you take this money and sit on it.

Now if there was a free demo, and you donated some money, or maybe it was a pay-what-you-want. Then whatever. But they're getting away with selling an unfinished product, and that's not cool.

uXs posted:

If you're talking about Planetary Annihilation, that made perfect sense. Their early high-level backers paid quite a lot of money, in part for the privilege of getting early access to the game. You can argue that paying money for early access is dumb, and I'd probably agree (in most cases), but it is (part of) what they paid for. I'm pretty sure that alpha access was reserved for the very highest levels and beta to slighty lower levels too.

Not only that, but the backers at that time had every reason to believe early access meant backers exclusively get access before the game launches. Going to Steam Early Access is basically just running a second Kickstarter, which is bull on a few levels.

Zaran posted:

..or don't because that's kind of creepy.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

revdrkevind posted:

You heard it here. Watching videogame software get uploaded is creepy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they didn't want people to see that information it wouldn't be public. You're not looking at the private information of a real person, you're looking at the log file of a computer program.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Kiyanis posted:

You heard it here. Watching videogame software get uploaded is creepy.

Hey man, log files are allowed their share of privacy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

But you never received a finished game. e: You basically paid them to be a beta tester, which is a service to them. Developers get a lot of stuff out of this deal. They get a wide beta test audience, money before they've launched the product, Steam's platform to do stuff like host forums and advertise for them. At some point you have to hold their feet to the fire and say it's not cool if you take this money and sit on it.

Now if there was a free demo, and you donated some money, or maybe it was a pay-what-you-want. Then whatever. But they're getting away with selling an unfinished product, and that's not cool.

No I didn't, I don't file bug reports for EA titles, I buy them because they are a toy I want to play with.

As a kid, if you handed me an action man with an arm missing, I wouldn't whinge about the lack of a second arm, I would start the adventures of Jim the one-armed action man and his battle against the tiny millenium falcon full of lego dudes.

Things can be plenty of fun without them being complete, if you require games to be complete to enjoy them then by all means do so, but I do level design for fun, playing with half-finished things is my idea of a good afternoon.

It says on the tin when you buy it 'it's not finished and it's probably a bit buggy'. If a game is sufficiently interesting, I don't really require it to be complete or bug free in order to enjoy it. Quite a lot of finished games are unbalanced and feel incomplete, yet they can also be fun. I am buying what is advertised as a somewhat unstable product, but sometimes unstable and interesting is preferable to non existant.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 17, 2014

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Inglonias posted:

Those are three of the tabs I'm reloading every 30 seconds right there. (The official KSP twitter, Max's twitter, and the SteamDB page) Thanks though!

"Dear passengers of the Hype Train, please return to your seats."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

code:
Changed Depots
220201/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220202/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220203/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
branches/hypetrainstationchief/buildid: 225439
branches/hypetrainstationchief/description: Dear passengers of the Hype Train, please return to your seats.
branches/hypetrainstationchief/pwdrequired: 1
Well that doesn't bode well.

Edit: Sniped.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
No idea what that means. Back to .23.5?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Everybody stop F5ing and laugh at my misfortune.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

eth0.n posted:

If this happens, the recovery percent should be way lower for it than currently. A 95%+ return just for slapping a few parachutes on boosters would eliminate the usefulness of SSTOs we finally just got. 20% for a simulated ocean splashdown on parachutes would be plenty.

Really, ocean recoveries should have significantly lower recovery percent than they currently are in general. Even if it's close to KSC, salt water's a hell of a thing to immerse your rocket parts in...
They could always drop the percentage of the resource recovered based on its projected landing site; still, getting some of your stuff back is better than none, right?

It might actually involve people calculating where best to drop their loads too, rather than just discarding the weight immediately to get the best TWR; what do you need more? Recovered resource, or delta-v/fuel at the end of your ascent?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Warbird posted:

code:
Changed Depots
220201/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220202/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220203/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
branches/hypetrainstationchief/buildid: 225439
branches/hypetrainstationchief/description: Dear passengers of the Hype Train, please return to your seats.
branches/hypetrainstationchief/pwdrequired: 1
Well that doesn't bode well.

Edit: Sniped.

Actually, wait. Doesn't "return to your seats" mean that the train will start moving again?

Confirmed for today :v:

code:
Changed Depots
220201/encryptedmanifests/experimentals/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220201/maxsize: 1632790606 (1.52 GB) › 1632790913 (1.52 GB) (diff = +307 B)
branches/experimentals/buildid: 328076 › 329806

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Geirskogul posted:

Actually, wait. Doesn't "return to your seats" mean that the train will start moving again?

Confirmed for today :v:

Actually, thats what I took from it. Who knows

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

revdrkevind posted:

loving laffo

What is it with goons trying to jump on everything and call it creepy?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, because the train hasn't reached 0.24 Station yet.

Max, are you aware of the problems of releasing dev notes in metaphor like this, meme or not?

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Chuck Tanner posted:

It's just projection, pretty common on the internet.

maniacdevnull posted:

Everybody stop F5ing and laugh at my misfortune.

drat, how did this happen? Did it flip on the ground or on the way down?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Chuck Tanner posted:

loving laffo

woah man, this post is kinda creepy...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Flight manager for reusable stages

Interesting looking addon here. Will have to test it. From what I can gather, you launch your rocket as normal, and it records the timestamp for each of the stages. You can then skip back to that timeskip in control of the discarded stage (SRB with parachutes, 1st/2nd stage with probe core and remaining fuel) and bring them home.

This could be very very handy indeed for .24 where we want to make sure we've got plenty of cash left over. Also SpaceX landings.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Okan170 posted:

"Dear passengers of the Hype Train, please return to your seats."

"Keep your hands and arms inside the spacecraft."

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but what's the mod called that makes Kerbin look realistic?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chuck Tanner posted:

I didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but what's the mod called that makes Kerbin look realistic?

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

Sweet thanks.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Is there a thing that allows me to increase the physics distance? Because by default, objects far enough into the atmosphere disappear after 2.5 kilometers. Which is understandable, but sucks.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

CONFIRMED: .24 TO TURN KSP INTO A REALISTIC TRAIN SIMULATOR!
WILL BE RETROACTIVELY RELEASED YESTERDAY!
SECOND COMING IN FORM OF GREEN MAN?

Be right back, posting to Kotaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Iceshade posted:

Is there a thing that allows me to increase the physics distance? Because by default, objects far enough into the atmosphere disappear after 2.5 kilometers. Which is understandable, but sucks.

the lazor system mod has a setting to change it http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/9923-0-23-5-Lazor-System-v33-(April-17) also a bunch of laser poo poo which I've never used, but the plugin for the physics distance thingy has been used in other mods, I think, so thats where I've seen it before.

• Locked thread