Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

:3: as gently caress buts it's missing joe silva doing the Say Anything pose w a flat screen playing Akiyama knockouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aurain posted:

The thud from those kicks is insane.

Sounds like fake sound effects

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

-Atom- posted:

I love that Nurmy thinks Daniel Cormier has some pull

They train together at AKA and are apparently pals, and Cormier actually tweeted Khabib right then to remind him that he should call Cowboy out on twitter immediately
https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/489618017458745344

quote:

@dc_mma

@TeamKhabib where are u brother. Call him out right now! Don't wait let him know u wanna fight @Cowboycerrone will gladly accept.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Plus it looks like he's a regular on UFC Tonight now.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I'd rather they do Khabib vs. Benson, because at the rate those two dudes are going and considering the belt is going to be tied up until after November or December, one of those two is gonna need to be knocked out of contention sooner than later because there's gonna be a real gross log jam if they keep on a linear path beating any other possible contenders.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cerrone gettin suplexed repeatedly is a money fight tho.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Cerrone would get taken down a lot but I think he'd fair okay in that match. While the fight is standing he would land better shots than Mr. Khabib and when taken down he has some good offensive subs. Cerrone owns. Kabib wins a unanimous decision.

I agree with others who think Benson vs Khabib is the better match to make, though. Much closer match and it determines a true #1 contender. Cerrone is on a great run but I don't see Pettis vs Cerrone 2 going any differently than the first match so I would hold off on that one.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Is there any reason the UFC don't do tournaments anymore or a Grand Prix?

I would have thought it was a good fit now with all the extra shows and champs sitting out. Something else to market other then championship or number 1 contender fights.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Nibbles141 posted:

Is there any reason the UFC don't do tournaments anymore or a Grand Prix?

Well, the last one they did with the flyweights was relatively small and STILL had a colossal gently caress up.

Best you're going to get is scrubs on the Ultimate Fighter.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, true. Think how much of a big deal the Pride Grand Prix were, or how much attention the Strikeforce one got though.

Would make a Fox main event more marketable if it was for a tournament position rather then to see who's "in the mix" at whatever weightclass. Might draw in the casual viewer. Good way to keep a weightclass moving with a champ out too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No one cares about tournaments. Even Bellator doesn't care.

Joe Silva and Sean Shelby do a good job of matchmaking that roughly approximates a tournament, winners fight winners and losers fight losers.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Having fighters fight multiple times in one night is really dumb too. Unless you're talking about like a really long term tournament which is still going to end up with fighters getting hurt and weird substitutions and whatnot.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
As much fun as the GP was it was still really loving dumb.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I was thinking more long-term. Wasn't the major reason they stopped doing them because commissions wouldn't let people fight multiple times in a night?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
For what it is worth the Womens 115 TUF is going to decide the first UFC Womens 115 champion.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Nibbles141 posted:

I was thinking more long-term. Wasn't the major reason they stopped doing them because commissions wouldn't let people fight multiple times in a night?

In a sport that is not healthy for its competitors, fighting repeatedly in one night is really not healthy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Too constricting I guess. Easier to make matches and put together events without extra stuff like that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At the levels UFC guys train and prep for a single fight, and how likely they're gonna get "injured"/injured due to increased drug testing, planning beyond current fight for a guy is drat near impossible.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I know the sport is lightyears ahead of where it used to be and like none of this poo poo would happen in the modern era but the GP had the following:

Guy Mezger quitting before an OT round because of contract disputes
Royce getting to dictate every rule ever imaginable against Sakuraba
Royce losing to Sakuraba despite all of that
Sakuraba taking Igor to an OT round despite weighing like 40 pounds less
Sakuraba being too drained from the dumb 90 minute fight to be able to fight the OT round
Fujita's corner throwing in the towel in literally 2 seconds against Mark Coleman

"Those who do not regret the collapse of PRIDE have no heart, and those that do regret it have no brain."

-Fat Japanese Professional Wrestler shortly before being forearm choked by Gary Goodridge

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The only way to do a one-night tournament in a commission state is to limit the round time so that you dont hit whatever arbitrary limit the commission has.

Strikeforce did a one night tournament for Women's 135 and they did 3 minute rounds.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Nibbles141 posted:

Yeah, true. Think how much of a big deal the Pride Grand Prix were, or how much attention the Strikeforce one got though.

Would make a Fox main event more marketable if it was for a tournament position rather then to see who's "in the mix" at whatever weightclass. Might draw in the casual viewer. Good way to keep a weightclass moving with a champ out too.

the strikeforce tournament didn't lead to a spike in attendance, or viewership. diaz had two fights that did better business during the tournament, and the final was a miserable failure. tournaments don't drive interest, caesar gracie fight team drives interest

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
How bout a tournament where they keep sending fresh fighters against Rousey and see how many she can beat before she gasses, could go on for a while.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Rousey vs Caraway. Book it.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

Scapegoat posted:

How bout a tournament where they keep sending fresh fighters against Rousey and see how many she can beat before she gasses, could go on for a while.

That's a PPV worth paying for.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I attended the Fedor/Bigfoot Strikeforce tournament show. I paid $20 for tickets and the place was barely half full, there were huge banks of empty seats everywhere you looked.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

fatherdog posted:

I attended the Fedor/Bigfoot Strikeforce tournament show. I paid $20 for tickets and the place was barely half full, there were huge banks of empty seats everywhere you looked.

Makes sense. Lots of people claim to see Bigfoot, but no one ever does.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

hahaha the bit about the loving akiyama fight

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Last night was awesome. In 9 year of watching MMA I don't think I've ever seen more body shots in one night. Almost every fight was dictated by body shots. :cool:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

tesilential posted:

Last night was awesome. In 9 year of watching MMA I don't think I've ever seen more body shots in one night. Almost every fight was dictated by body shots. :cool:

The only time I've seen more body shots was the after party when Dillashaw won the belt :downsrim:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hahaha the bit about the loving akiyama fight

"Was it a good fight?"

"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
"BJ doesn't use IVs. He thinks using IVs are cheating." - Joe Rogan on his latest Fight Companion podcast from last night's card.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Geno Petralli posted:

Sounds like fake sound effects

Nah. That's just what a hard kick sounds like.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cowboy is awesome and his lone Budweiser in a panel full of people drinking bottled water at every press conference will never stop being funny. Sponsored or not its still perfect.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Cerrone would get taken down a lot but I think he'd fair okay in that match. While the fight is standing he would land better shots than Mr. Khabib and when taken down he has some good offensive subs. Cerrone owns. Kabib wins a unanimous decision.

Cerrone's kicks are by far his best weapons and I don't seem him getting much done with them against Khabib's pressure and takedown threat. Considering how hittable Cerrone is, I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Khabib win any brief standup exchanges that come between the long stretches of wrestling Cerrone into cowboy sauce.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Dagestan vs the Marlboro Man

Make it happen, Dana

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Josh Gross posted:

NSAC released its agenda for July 23. @vitorbelfort has requested a license. @sonnench faces a disciplinary hearing

:munch:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Vitor Belfort's balls are slightly bigger than I thought.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Vitor will provide NSAC with test results more redacted than a CIA document and claim that he's being up front and open.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Compare Edson Barboza's kick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB3bBzYfpoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Joe makes me feel better about me though because he's old and a comedian, whereas Edson is young and a fighter. Also devilishly handsome, all things I could never hope to achieve. At what age will a Doc put me on TRT and will it help my beard grow in along with sweet muscles?

• Locked thread