Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kilonum posted:

So just came across this just east of the Germany/Poland border heading into Szczecin

So, that Man really wanted to mate with a car. Good on him for taking the iniative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For anyone that hasn't bought this game yet, it's on this week's Humble Bundle sale: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

$10 gets you ETS2 (with an exclusive fantasy paint job DLC), along with Tropico 4, Turbo Dismount, Out of the Park Baseball 14, Cook Serve Delicious!, and Universe Sandbox. Pretty good deal.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you are just interested in ETS2 and not the other games, there is also this bundle for $10:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/euro-truck-simulator-2-collectors-bundle

It has more truck in it.

EDIT: More truck for your buck

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JHVH-1 posted:

If you are just interested in ETS2 and not the other games, there is also this bundle for $10:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/euro-truck-simulator-2-collectors-bundle

It has more truck in it.

EDIT: More truck for your buck

That's probably much better if you don't care about the other games, since that one has the Going East DLC, and the Humble Bundle doesn't.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I recently started upgrading my truck. Just unlocked the highest hp engine on the MAN trucks, so I thought I might as well make that my flagship for a while instead of always rolling Volvo's; also, MAN does a good job looking like a truck. I'm confused as to what the chassis do though. I always had a 4x2 and that was fine; went straight for a 6x4 and it seems to have a lot less fuel while I don't notice a whole lot in terms of handling.

I'm not confused, though, as to what lights do. Hot drat. The night has never been this bright. Looking forward to unlocking higher level rails that can hold more lights. Illuminating everything all the time doesn't cost me any more fuel than normal right?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I won't get the humble pack, even if I'd get baseball, universal sandbox, and turbo dismount...

Cook Serve Delicious is a fun game, but the real prize in the bundle is getting Euro Truck Sim 2 with an exclusive skin pack.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Fleve posted:

I recently started upgrading my truck. Just unlocked the highest hp engine on the MAN trucks, so I thought I might as well make that my flagship for a while instead of always rolling Volvo's; also, MAN does a good job looking like a truck. I'm confused as to what the chassis do though. I always had a 4x2 and that was fine; went straight for a 6x4 and it seems to have a lot less fuel while I don't notice a whole lot in terms of handling.
More wheels don't improve your handling; in fact, they degrade it slightly. The real improvement is in traction; even if you have a beefy engine, you'll still struggle on steep hills if you can't put the power on the road.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

More wheels don't improve your handling; in fact, they degrade it slightly. The real improvement is in traction; even if you have a beefy engine, you'll still struggle on steep hills if you can't put the power on the road.

More wheels is more stable though, especially in turns under heavy braking.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

More wheels means less tipping at high speed. If you aren't doing high speed you are doing it wrong.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I just got this game and I'm a big baby that can't park his trailer. :(

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Does getting constant speeding tickets and accidents ever end up amounting to anything in this game other than a small loss of income?

Because going 150kmh through city centers owns.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mcqueen posted:

Does getting constant speeding tickets and accidents ever end up amounting to anything in this game other than a small loss of income?

Because going 150kmh through city centers owns.

You can't put a pricetag on truckin', friend.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Largepotato posted:

The best choice of truck is a stock engine Iveco.
Well, it's my employees' choice anyway.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

I've been playing this game for 43 hours so far according to Steam. I still don't park my trailer and I just use autopark.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

IAmTheRad posted:

I've been playing this game for 43 hours so far according to Steam. I still don't park my trailer and I just use autopark.

Xtanstic posted:

I just got the game as well and I tried for the first three missions but it's incredibly frustrating. I'll probably end up just doing autopark as well. Also, what can I do if I get stuck? The AI cars are following so close that if I make a mistake in a narrow road with barriers, I can't move anymore. Even ramming them doesn't give me enough space to maneuver.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

ihatepants posted:

Also, what can I do if I get stuck?
Traffic positions aren't saved, so if you save, then reload, the roads should be at least temporarily clear. (The few times it's happened to me, I've just quit and restarted, but I tend to forget manual saves are a thing that exists.)

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
It took me a while to figure out parking too. I think my very first parking job took 40 minutes of wiggling the truck back and forth to figure out the logic of how to turn the things. Next one took 15 minutes to park. Now I can usually back the thing in on my first or second try.

For me it helps to think of the angle between the truck and the trailer as part of a giant circle that is your direction. If your trailer and cab are perfectly aligned you'll reverse in a straight line, but as you increase the angle between them it will reverse in an increasingly tighter circle.

Keep in mind that it takes time for the steering wheel to turn completely, so don't start reversing until you're sure the wheels are pointed in the right direction. If you start backing up and turning at the same time you can end up turning a small error into a huge one unless you know exactly where you're heading.

If you're driving first person you can turn your camera all the way over the driver side door and look out the window toward the trailer. Try to keep your driver side on the inside of the turning angle when backing your truck in, it will give you a much better view of the action compared to using the tiny side view mirrors.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

In first person mode, look out the driver-side window back towards your trailer. From that view, turning left will cause your trailer to turn left and turning right will cause it to turn right. This turns parking into a completely trivial matter and you'll ace it every time so long as you're patient.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FredMSloniker posted:

Traffic positions aren't saved, so if you save, then reload, the roads should be at least temporarily clear. (The few times it's happened to me, I've just quit and restarted, but I tend to forget manual saves are a thing that exists.)

If you check the show autosaves box on the load screen, there's probably a save that's only a minute or two old, the game autosaves constantly.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
You don't even need to save, just reload your profile.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Did something happen to weather in this game? I started playing it again for the first time in about a year and in like 15 hours I haven't seen a drop of rain or anything. No mods for most of that time and a jazzycat trailer mod and TSM for a couple hours worth.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Bunleigh posted:

Did something happen to weather in this game? I started playing it again for the first time in about a year and in like 15 hours I haven't seen a drop of rain or anything. No mods for most of that time and a jazzycat trailer mod and TSM for a couple hours worth.

One of the patches made rain rarer, but last longer. Never been a fan of the change myself.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You can turn up the probability of rain in the game options as well.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The default chance of rain is extremely low. Like 5%. If you actually want rain, pump up that bar.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I always crank it up to 90%.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

I always crank it up to 90%.
Nothing like the endless rain throughout the night to feel the bleak and empty existence of being alone on the road forever with no place to call home. :smith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My favourite thing is going to sleep during a nice summer morning and then waking up into a thunderstorm in the middle of the night.

What's really rare though, is fog which I've only ever seen about 3 times in 9000 hours of play.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The fog looks really cool, until you look up towards the sky.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
With all this weather talk, I'll renew my suggestion from a few pages back to try out Improved Weather:

StarkRavingMad posted:

One mod I haven't seen mentioned very much is the Improved Weather mod. And it's worth bringing up now because I just found out he did an Improved Weather Reloaded (aka Improved Weather 2.0) and he didn't really publish it to any of the mod sites, most of them still have the old 1.3 version. But the author is doing some really beautiful stuff with lighting in the new version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11WUDTggUM

I think some of the night time effects are really neat. The only downside is it may make it so you can't see your own beacon lighting. You can find it here: http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=125948

Supposed to be a new updated version soon which will update your own headlights (most people think they are currently too dark in this mod). There's a lot of great looking weather stuff in it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Let's see I got a shipment of Military clothes that are in Hungary going to Budapest also in Hungary. Let's see the trailer.

:patriot::911::patriot:

Keep in mind I'm Canadian. But there's just so much America in that picture.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had no idea there even were mods for this, beyond "unlimit the speedometer." Other than that weather one, what are some good ones?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I had no idea there even were mods for this, beyond "unlimit the speedometer." Other than that weather one, what are some good ones?
You no longer need one to turn off the truck speed limit. There is an option in the Game options to turn it off. If you're still a mod that turns it off, remove that mod, and it's no longer needed.

But one amazing mod selection are Jazzycat's mods. http://jazzycat.ucoz.net/ is the direct link to their website. They are the highest quality trailers I've seen and there's more variety of things to take across Europe, and you can even see the enemies towing them too. Military Vehicles and Train items are the hardest things to tow, especially across certain roads. I hate how often that a tank is behind one of those tiny arch loading dock things, and they JUST squeeze through. They're for more advanced drivers and not for beginners. I mean you can tow them at level 1, but I advise against it.

Beyond that, you can use either TSM or ProMods to expand the map, but if you're running on a beta build of the game, you can't use them. The QOL improvements of the beta mod far outweight having more places to Truck around to.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

StarkRavingMad posted:

With all this weather talk, I'll renew my suggestion from a few pages back to try out Improved Weather:

Supposed to be a new updated version soon which will update your own headlights (most people think they are currently too dark in this mod). There's a lot of great looking weather stuff in it.

Yeah I installed this mod and noticed that while low beams are useful high beams and any installed lights seem not to do anything. Beautiful mod otherwise.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
They have put out a new blog post. Firstly the game is in the humble bundle today so get it if you haven't.

Secondly, the next update is likely to come out next week, which will hopefully mean the new promods map will come out shortly after!

Thirdly, that DAF Euro 6 truck will be released "this summer!" Also 1.12 will likely include such things as new bus enemies and new trailers!

So it seems they are busy slaving away over there on Prague.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The beta patch has this though :
- Speed cameras now use truck speed limit

The worst update.

I wish they'd smooth out the speed limits. There is some place where the speed limit goes from like 130 to 70 with a speed camera right there to catch you even if you lay on the brakes as soon as you see the 70 sign you'll still blow through the camera.

It also kills me how enemy cars just immediately throw on the breaks as they pass a speed sign instead of slowing down to the new limit. It's the cause of much rear ending. One time I rear ended some enemy car so hard that it flipped over my cab and landed behind me.

Also I don't know exactly how traffic lights work across Europe, so maybe they work accurately as-is but I wish they'd prioritize traffic instead of just flipping every 30 seconds. I get really annoyed driving through cities when I have to sit through every light even though its like 3am and there isn't another car on the road anywhere.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fina posted:

I wish they'd smooth out the speed limits. There is some place where the speed limit goes from like 130 to 70 with a speed camera right there to catch you even if you lay on the brakes as soon as you see the 70 sign you'll still blow through the camera.

Hahahaha, I know that exact spot. I think I can recognize it on sight now and actually jam on my brakes in time.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fina posted:

The worst update.

It also kills me how enemy cars just immediately throw on the breaks as they pass a speed sign instead of slowing down to the new limit. It's the cause of much rear ending. One time I rear ended some enemy car so hard that it flipped over my cab and landed behind me.

Also I don't know exactly how traffic lights work across Europe, so maybe they work accurately as-is but I wish they'd prioritize traffic instead of just flipping every 30 seconds. I get really annoyed driving through cities when I have to sit through every light even though its like 3am and there isn't another car on the road anywhere.

I dunno, you are describing everything around here in my area of the US. Cars stomping on the brakes when a new speed sign shows up, lights that are not synched or follow traffic, speed traps with a cop watching (even better, the speed change happens halfway down a hill just so you can burn up your brake pads while the cop watches in glee).

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Seems a red light counts even if only the last 10 centimetres of your truck pass through the red and the rest was green/orange. Sometimes there are intersections where you have to wait for opposing traffic to pass before you can turn, and if there are a few cars in front of you who also wait before they can turn, you end up parking midway through a traffic light.

The worst situation that once happened was when my trucker was also fatigued. I ended up having to wait for traffic to pass while halfway through a traffic light; when I finally got the chance to move my guy fell asleep, got a fine for sleeping, then a fine for getting a red light. Still better than when I was dozing at 120 km/h though.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Fina posted:

Dutch 'Trajectcontrole' systems work like this too. The system distinguishes between cars and trucks, and will impose stricter speed limits for trucks. It was highly inaccurate when it was introduced, marking vans and cars with trailers or even bicycle racks as trucks.

Quite a shame because the idea behind the system is pretty great: It notes down your license plate and when you enter and leave a multi-kilometre section. So if you're getting fined, it's not because you went 3 km/h too fast whilst overtaking someone right in front of the camera. You got a fine because you'd been going too fast for a good few minutes.

Traffic lights in cities could use some kind of green wave system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I just turn off police. :shrug:

• Locked thread