Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sports Song was meh to begin with and this video added nothing. Definitely the weakest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So out of curiosity, what do people think is Al's best album? I'd say a toss up between Running With Scissors and Off The Deep End.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Mine's a toss up between Straight outta Lynwood and Bad Hair Day, but the latter has both Santa Craziness and Amish Paradise, and the Alternative Polka is one of my favorites.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo... so, I kept thinking, without going into the discography, "Ok, I owned Bad Hair Day... since there, there was, what... Poodle Hat? And then Mandatory Fun?"

Totally forgot about Running With Scissors and Straight Outta Lynwood. I think I'm going to just look up Weird Al on wikipedia and learn everything there is in one go.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo... so, I kept thinking, without going into the discography, "Ok, I owned Bad Hair Day... since there, there was, what... Poodle Hat? And then Mandatory Fun?"

Totally forgot about Running With Scissors and Straight Outta Lynwood. I think I'm going to just look up Weird Al on wikipedia and learn everything there is in one go.

And Alpocalypse.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So out of curiosity, what do people think is Al's best album? I'd say a toss up between Running With Scissors and Off The Deep End.

Dare to be Stupid, maybe? Tough question.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Even Worse is a perfect album. idgaf

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Definitely a toss up between Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors for me. Although I do hold The Food Album and Alapolooza close to my heart as well since those were the two Weird Al albums my family had when I was a young 'un

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just an hour away from the next video! (They come out at 11 AM EST/8 AM PST) Can't wait to see what we get!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Personally, I don't find any of his albums to be better than any other. I love them all.

I will admit, however, that Even Worse and Running With Scissors have special places in my heart.

Even Worse was the first "Weird Al" album I ever owned, and Touring With Scissors was the time I got to see him in concert. My wife had bought tickets, and didn't tell me, making it a surprise.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Running with Scissors and Straight Outta Lynwood are pretty perfect.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I had listened to Weird Al before Straight Outta Lynwood, but that was the album that came out while I was in college and made a true fan of his work. White and Nerdy was my anthem during those years (despite not being white) and Trapped in the Drive-Thru was amazing from start to finish

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Video's up!
http://popcrush.com/weird-al-yankovic-first-world-problems-video/

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
That wasn't bad but I'm getting the feeling he should have saved Word Crimes for last

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
How did he fit his hair under that wig?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I liked this video much more than Sports song and Handy. I'mk not sure if I like it more than Foil, because I do like the abrupt change in tone on that one.

edit:

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

That wasn't bad but I'm getting the feeling he should have saved Word Crimes for last

I'm feeling this too. I now seriously doubt that there will be any videos that top Tacky or Word Crimes. Start and end strong.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well you want to sell as many albums in the first week as possible.

He's actually on track to potentially have his first number 1 album:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6165950/weird-al-mandatory-fun-billboard-200

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Since these are all singles, could he possible have 12 songs on top 100?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

These non-parody songs are ok but not really that catchy for me. Really loved foil/handy, word crimes and tacky were only ok for me, but the video for tacky was sweet.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've listened to the album a few times now, and while I like it for the most part ("Word Crimes" is excellent and should have been the lead song on the album,) I feel like some of the songs are updated versions of songs he's done in the past. "Handy" almost seems like a redo of "The Plumbing Song" and "My Own Eyes" feels like an update of "Midnight Star." Obviously, the music and lyrics and new, but the subject matter is so closely related, they feel like rehashes to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the new songs, but I feel like I've heard them before.

"Sports Song" and "Jackson Park Express" are tied, for me, as the worst songs on the album. I love the long format songs he's done on the past few albums - "Drive Through" and "Genius in France" are amazing, but there is no payoff in "Jackson Park". In addition, "JPE" also seems like a rehash of "Good Old Days", where the story starts off sweet, but goes off the rails when the narrator turns out to be a complete maniac. "Good Old Days" was a much better song, and took far less time to get to the point.

"Mission Statement" started off as a dislike for me, but it's really growing on me - I think the style of the song far outshines the lyrics. Also, the use of a counter-culture folk song to convey corporate bullshit is particularly inspiring.

"Now That's What I Call Polka" seemed to be really short, compared to the past few polkas he's done, am I wrong?

Also, if you haven't checked out his YouTube channel, there are a shitload of videos for his songs. I was just thinking what an awesome video could be made from "Party in the CIA" when, blammo, there it is. The amazing thing is that it was very close to what I envisioned (though I wasn't expecting it to be animated.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

First World Problems was another "just alright" video. Unless one of the last couple videos he releases is really great, he probably should've stopped after Handy.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Amanda Palmer, who did vocals on "First World Problems" just posted a pretty cool blog post about Weird Al's influence on her life and music career.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

How did he fit his hair under that wig?
Much like they did for the "Smells Like Nirvana" and "The Saga Begins" videos, they braid it very tightly and snake it down his back under his costume.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

drat, Inactive is the tits.

Radioactive is the type of song that always seems to be blasting out of the windows of the average white Camaro driven by a shirtless dude wearing five-ohs and chains around his neck.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

weirdojace posted:

Amanda Palmer, who did vocals on "First World Problems" just posted a pretty cool blog post about Weird Al's influence on her life and music career.

pro-click, this owns, everyone read it

second-hand smegma posted:

drat, Inactive is the tits.

Radioactive is the type of song that always seems to be blasting out of the windows of the average white Camaro driven by a shirtless dude wearing five-ohs and chains around his neck.

I really hope he does a video for it, it's definitely one of the best on the album.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I LOVE the Pixies, so First World Problems is a loving great song, at least to me. It seriously sounds like about 15 Pixies songs put together. Debaser, No. 13, Tame... great stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only way First World Problems could be a more accurate Pixies parody would be if one of the verses was half in Spanish.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sports Song was meh to begin with and this video added nothing. Definitely the weakest one.
I enjoyed it, and it's certainly a catchier riff on the "unnecessarily articulate sports cheers" joke than Lonely Island's recent "Crowd Song," which has an identical concept.

"Mission Statement" is almost too painfully true for me to enjoy - the kind of circular nonsense language is so common at my work.

"Jackson Park Express" surprised me with some of the stranger lyrics. Weird Al jokes about decapitation, poo, murder, death, etc, but he's never gotten sexually graphic in his songs, or at least very often (with the brilliant exception of "I'm stranded all alone at the gas station of love, and I have to use the self-service pumps" from "One More Minute") so I nearly choked on my mac n' cheese listening to the line, "I want you inside me ... (long pause) ... like a tapeworm!" Awesome.

Count me in as a lifelong fan. I'm not a very "loyal" music fan in general - I get the music I like and there are few artists who are "auto-buys" for me. Or even regular buys. I think Weird Al is the one artist whose albums I always buy right when then come out.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Henchman of Santa posted:

The only way First World Problems could be a more accurate Pixies parody would be if one of the verses was half in Spanish.

There was going to be a verse about his gardener, but...

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that he was smart to release these the way he is. The parody songs are always going to grab the zeitgeist the hardest and there was bound to be some drop off throughout the week. So starting strong was the best way to get people interested.

I'm just hoping for a ten minute long epic conclusion with a "Jackson Park Express" video. I know that probably won't happen though.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
What is the Pixies song that is most like the chorus of First World Problem? That's the fun part with Al, I have almost zero musical knowledge and hear a lot of songs through him, and thus get to find a lot of cool music I've never heard before.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

What is the Pixies song that is most like the chorus of First World Problem? That's the fun part with Al, I have almost zero musical knowledge and hear a lot of songs through him, and thus get to find a lot of cool music I've never heard before.

Overall the song that it's sounds the most like is probably Debaser. The intro alone is super close and it has the same lyric "echo" in the chorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P3lhrwio-M

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can we talk about how UHF is the best thing Al did in his entire career? Because that is seriously my favorite movie. Getting my entire extended family together and watching it is like a religious experience, most of us can quote the entire thing and we have to yell at each other to stop. I definitely wore the gently caress out of my VHS copy. The DVD is great because the commentary track is amazing, the deleted scenes and features and stuff are hilariously narrated by Al as well. I guess this year would be the 25th anniversary, right?

EDIT: Monday is the 25th anniversary of the release of UHF. Everyone should watch it in celebration.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 20, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

AnimeJune posted:

"Jackson Park Express" surprised me with some of the stranger lyrics. Weird Al jokes about decapitation, poo, murder, death, etc, but he's never gotten sexually graphic in his songs, or at least very often (with the brilliant exception of "I'm stranded all alone at the gas station of love, and I have to use the self-service pumps" from "One More Minute") so I nearly choked on my mac n' cheese listening to the line, "I want you inside me ... (long pause) ... like a tapeworm!" Awesome.

A lot of his songs are pretty messed up when you listen to them. Like "Melanie." When you're a kid, it's cute and absurd. When you're an adult, holy gently caress, you realize how messed up and creepy that song is. Weird Al gets away with it because he's supposed to be funny. But like if Sting sang the song, everyone would be like...

Well, actually they'd probably think it's a lovely song about a guy who would be willing to kill himself to prove his love for a woman he's stalking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmApJCgqnU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've listened to the album a few times now, and while I like it for the most part ("Word Crimes" is excellent and should have been the lead song on the album,) I feel like some of the songs are updated versions of songs he's done in the past. "Handy" almost seems like a redo of "The Plumbing Song" and "My Own Eyes" feels like an update of "Midnight Star." Obviously, the music and lyrics and new, but the subject matter is so closely related, they feel like rehashes to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the new songs, but I feel like I've heard them before.

That's nothing really new, Al recycles his previous material quite a bit, "Do I creep you out" is a recycle of "Melanie", "First World Problems" is a recycled "Why does this always happen to me?", "Couch Potato" is a recycle of "Syndicated Inc." is a recycle of "I can't watch this" is a recycle of "the brady bunch", "Perform this way" is a recycle of "Smells like Nirvana", "Since you have been gone" is a recycle of "One more minute", "White and Nerdy" "All about the pentiums" and so forth, but then again, who cares?

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 20, 2014

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Can we talk about how UHF is the best thing Al did in his entire career? Because that is seriously my favorite movie. Getting my entire extended family together and watching it is like a religious experience, most of us can quote the entire thing and we have to yell at each other to stop. I definitely wore the gently caress out of my VHS copy. The DVD is great because the commentary track is amazing, the deleted scenes and features and stuff are hilariously narrated by Al as well. I guess this year would be the 25th anniversary, right?

EDIT: Monday is the 25th anniversary of the release of UHF. Everyone should watch it in celebration.

I attended the last concert of the Alpocalypse tour which coincided with the 25th anniversary of the filming of UHF in Tulsa (so a local radio station in Tulsa threw this big celebration for him and had an expensive guided tour to all the filming locations which I didn't bother to attend). Al mentioned this at the concert of course and thanked the city for the support.

Of course, the Brady Theater misspelled his name on the marquee, but it was still a blast. The city presented him with a sweet plaque, a commemorative "Weird Al Yankovic" day and the official Weird Al Yankovic supply closet at the radio station.

I don't know if he's doing anything for the anniversary of UHF's release, since Al did say he's going to do the album promotion, then take a vacation to recuperate, and start the Mandatory Fun tour in 2015.

quote:

That's nothing really new, Al recycles his previous material quite a bit, but then again who cares?

Al's said he's nothing if not redundant, but he also hates being predictable and repetitive, so we'll see if he starts branching out more when he goes completely digital now that he's freed from the constraints of a record contract. Not that I had any problems with the album but "Handy" really did feel like a rehash of The Plumbing Song. I still dig it though because it's drat catchy and he did some great word-smithing as usual.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Edit: duplicate post

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Al addresses the Word Crimes issues.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

the video for Lame Claim to Fame is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yazr8JkazmE

It's a really great video. I'm not a huge fan of the song but this video is great.

I sure hope Inactive is the last one...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
drat is that all done by hand or digital? Don't really like the song but that video looks like it took ages to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I was blown away by the Lame Claim To Fame video.

• Locked thread