Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
There's nothing more powerful or menacing than a bottle of water as it looms huge above your head every time you take a sip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Irish Joe posted:

There's nothing more powerful or menacing than a bottle of water as it looms huge above your head every time you take a sip.

That depends on how it is shot. In a fiction film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That depends on how it is shot. In a fiction film.

It's a phallus. Always a phallus. It contains the milk essence of life itself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If I had to rank how I like the MCU movies it would go:

1st: Tie between Captain America and Captain America 2
2nd: Tie between Thor and Thor 2
3rd: Other

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That was a good post, SMG.

Now everyone rank your favourite Marvel films to piss him off!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like Marvel movies. They are comfy and easy to watch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wendell posted:

Ok.

Cap 2>Iron Man 3>Avengers>Cap 1>Iron Man>Hulk> Iron Man 2>Thor

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Wendell posted:

1: Howard The Duck
2: Everything That Isn't Howard The Duck

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gatts posted:

It's a phallus. Always a phallus. It contains the milk essence of life itself.

http://thehairpin.com/2011/11/women-struggling-to-drink-water

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wendell posted:

Shazam!

(Guardians of the Galaxy?) Iron Man 3, The Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Captain America 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 2.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ang Lee Hulk, Blade 1 and 2, X Men First Class and DoFP, Amazing Spider Man 2, Howard the Duck, Punisher.

I think something like that. We can throw in Cap 1 and 2, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 somewhere at the lower end of Marvel flicks.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
All three Iron Man movies are pretty much on the same level of quality.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

mind the walrus posted:

I like Marvel movies. They are comfy and easy to watch.

If they ever invent real They Live glasses, marvel movies will be revealed to be two-hour looping trailers for themselves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"They aren't already? :jerkbag:"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I did not watch Man of Steel. Was that a continuation from Superman Returns or not?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Jamesman posted:

I did not watch Man of Steel. Was that a continuation from Superman Returns or not?

No. Returns was basically Superman III, jumping off from Donner's Superman II and disregarding the original III and IV. Man of Steel is a total reboot.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Man of steel is a (comedy)sequel to citizen kane.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I totally forgot those Blade movies were Marvel property. God those sucked. All three of them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yaws posted:

I totally forgot those Blade movies were Marvel property. God those sucked. All three of them.

This is hosed up

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yaws posted:

mods

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean to be fair he's right two times out of three, it's just the one he's wrong about he's really wrong about.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean to be fair he's right two times out of three, it's just the one he's wrong about he's really wrong about.

Blade 2 owned, this is true.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yaws posted:

Look at this mother fucker trying to ice skate uphill.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Yaws posted:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I didn't know they were so well regarded around here. I liked them when I was 16, but have any of you watched them recently? They haven't aged well at all. Some scenes are laughably bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's not wrong. Blade 1 and 2 were cable TV staples of mine growing up but I tried to watch Blade 2 recently and was hopelessly bored, and I'm a huge Guillermo Del Toro fan. There's still a lot of great things about them like their set design, Snipes' one-liners, and for how important Blade 1 was in getting the superhero movie trend underway, but they're not exactly classics even of the genre.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have watched the first 2 recently, and they are both really fun comic book movies. The third has always been terrible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Del Toro a lot, but Blade 2 was always awful. It's the cinematic equivalent of a grimdark 90s Liefeld comic, complete with horrible fake-looking CG people. 1 is alright.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yaws posted:

I didn't know they were so well regarded around here. I liked them when I was 16, but have any of you watched them recently? They haven't aged well at all. Some scenes are laughably bad.

Blade was one of CineD's Movie of The Month.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Incredible Hulk is my favorite of the Avengers lead-ups and if you haven't already you should watch all the scenes that were cut from the movie because they make it even better (minus the montage of Bruce delivering pizzas which was really bad).

Also watch the behind-the scenes footage and see how much fun Louis Letterier had making it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Blade 3 is a great Deadpool movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ladyboy pancake posted:

Incredible Hulk is my favorite of the Avengers lead-ups and if you haven't already you should watch all the scenes that were cut from the movie because they make it even better (minus the montage of Bruce delivering pizzas which was really bad).

Also watch the behind-the scenes footage and see how much fun Louis Letterier had making it.

Captain America 1 is the only Marvelverse film that I consider genuinely good, (in fact, it's possibly the best superhero film ever made) but I'll admit that I haven't seen all of Incredible Hulk. The combination of it being the least popular in a pile of bad movies, the 'more punching than Ang Lee' rep, and the notorious rewrites give me a powerful case of indifference.

If someone can make a good case for it, I'll watch it. Unleashed is rad, and I want to see Hulk blow up downtown Toronto.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The first Captain America movie was, to me, one of the most disappointing movies in quite some time. Just another dull, disappointing Joe Johnston movie. He seems to pick projects that are fun ideas and completely halfasses their execution. They're always just short of being exciting and fun to watch. And I mean just short. Like on the mediocre end of amazing. I wish I could put a finer point on just what it is about his movies that are a let down for me, but I'm just now going through his filmography and realizing almost every one of them elicited a "I was hoping it would be better" response from me, including when I was a little kid seeing Honey I Shrunk the Kids in the theater.

He's like a more technically inspired Chris Columbus or something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If someone can make a good case for it, I'll watch it. Unleashed is rad, and I want to see Hulk blow up downtown Toronto.
You might get something out of it in contrast to Captain America as it deals with someone who takes the super soldier serum. It's definitely not an entirely braindead film, and the Hulk/Banner dichotomy is interesting. There are definitely some things you can read into regarding Banner's eventual acceptance of the Hulk. Stuff that is disregarded and ultimately muddled in Avengers. I also like that the big Manhattan fight scene is in Harlem.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DangerDummy! posted:

The first Captain America movie was, to me, one of the most disappointing movies in quite some time. Just another dull, disappointing Joe Johnston movie. He seems to pick projects that are fun ideas and completely halfasses their execution. They're always just short of being exciting and fun to watch. And I mean just short. Like on the mediocre end of amazing. I wish I could put a finer point on just what it is about his movies that are a let down for me, but I'm just now going through his filmography and realizing almost every one of them elicited a "I was hoping it would be better" response from me, including when I was a little kid seeing Honey I Shrunk the Kids in the theater.

He's like a more technically inspired Chris Columbus or something.

The Rocketeer is a masterpiece, therefore you are wrong. :colbert:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not the biggest fan of Cap 1 but Joe Johnston is sure as hell much better than Chris Colombus.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Spatula City posted:

The Rocketeer is a masterpiece, therefore you are wrong. :colbert:

Well, I think The Rocketeer is a good example of what I mean. Its got such a fresh and exciting premise, it's got all the trappings of an exciting movie, but the execution is so limp and flat, in my opinion. Maybe I just don't like him as a storyteller, or maybe I find his visual flair kind of weak, but there's something about his movies that are just so unsatisfying to me.

He keeps trying to make these fun Indiana Jones style movies, but he's just not very good at it. I didn't hate Cap 1. There was some enjoyable stuff in that movie. It was just not very well made.

quote:

I'm not the biggest fan of Cap 1 but Joe Johnston is sure as hell much better than Chris Colombus.

I did say he was more technically inspired, but yeah that was a low blow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Blade 1 because it's a barely disguised Vampire: the Masquerade movie.

Edit: My favorite Captain America movie is Sunshine.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 21, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Blade 1 because it's a barely disguised Vampire: the Masquerade movie.

Edit: My favorite Captain America movie is Sunshine.

Do you really like the Underworld movies too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheJoker138 posted:

Do you really like the Underworld movies too?

No, not really. Aside from the whole Werewolf vs Vampire thing, Underworld doesn't really go in a WoD direction. Blade, on the other hand, has vampire clans, a vampiric bible, human servants (familiars in the movie, ghouls in the game), younger vampires vs older vampires, ancient blood-gods, etc.

I mean, none of that stuff is particularly original, but it's still funny to me.

• Locked thread