Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sounds like you called an astrology hotline. I assume the psychiatric hotline would have dispatched some orderlies to take you away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The quality of the gimmicks on Jack White's new album sucks terribly. It's way too hard to get side one to play without getting trapped in the etching. So you just hope you don't miss too much of track one. And side one's pressing quality was terrible, with a ton of noise. Then the dual groove on Just One Drink is just bad. It didn't sync up properly, so you hear "jus...just one drink."

The quality of side two is much better. Very little noise.

I got it for the music, but my request to Jack is to drop the vinyl gimmicks.

I had the same issue with that groove on side one and the quality of the pressing. If you don't want to miss any of the song my suggestion is the put the needle in the deadwax spin the record backwards a few times until it's at the beginning of the track and then hit play. While the gimmicks can be fun, they really need to start focusing more on the quality of the actual sound.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Jack White is my favorite Johnny Depp character.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Hey goons, here's some stuff I've bought lately:

Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Giorgio Moroder - Midnight Express OST
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
Conveyor - Prime
Iggy and the Stooges - Metallic KO
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
The Clash - Combat Rock (was sealed OG press)
Sleater-Kinney - One Beat
The Wild Wild West OST (it was like a dollar, okay?)

Didn't realize that Prime was A/D B/C and accidentally listened to the beginning and the end without hearing any of the middle. Oof.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Surfingelectrode posted:

Didn't realize that Prime was A/D B/C and accidentally listened to the beginning and the end without hearing any of the middle. Oof.

Why would anyone do that in this day and age? Does anyone have an automatic turntable anymore?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Is Prime good? I loving love Conveyor, but it sounds like a really huge departure from their previous work so I've been on the fence about it.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 15, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Here's an excellent price ($4.99 or best offer) on Public Image Ltd's "Second Edition" 2xLP. You probably already know this, but this is the same thing as "Metal Box," sans the metal box. And also, it's a great, great record that I consider absolutely essential.

EDIT: I just saw that shipping is $6.94 within the US, which is stupidly high, but I still think it's a sound deal. I'd buy that poo poo if I didn't already have "Metal Box."

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." Not sure what's up with that.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 15, 2014

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

izationalizer posted:

Here's an excellent price ($4.99 or best offer) on Public Image Ltd's "Second Edition" 2xLP. You probably already know this, but this is the same thing as "Metal Box," sans the metal box. And also, it's a great, great record that I consider absolutely essential.

EDIT: I just saw that shipping is $6.94 within the US, which is stupidly high, but I still think it's a sound deal. I'd buy that poo poo if I didn't already have "Metal Box."

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." Not sure what's up with that.

I don't know what this thread did to deserve you, but keep up the good work man!

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Pookdaddy G posted:

I don't know what this thread did to deserve you, but keep up the good work man!

No problem man, and thanks! Also, I think I figured out what was up with the PiL record: I bought from him a copy of "Trout Mask Replica" (also $4.99), and he just told me that it was an "accident", and that he meant to list it as an auction. My suspicion: he just realized that he underpriced his records, and now he wants to relist them as auctions after the fact (he has already changed all of his other listings to auctions). We'll see how it pans out....

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Spoon is spearheading a "Vinyl Gratification" program for their new album:

quote:

A few weeks ago as we were figuring out how to roll out the new Spoon album I kept coming back to this: why do we incentivize people to buy our music from big outlets but we don’t extend the same courtesy to actual record stores? Case in point: why do we encourage listeners to buy early by offering “instant gratification” tracks for pre-orders of the digital album, yet there’s no special motivation for buying music from Waterloo or Reckless Records?? And there’s no incentive to buy the format that so many of those listeners prefer—an actual physical item they can hold and read and play on a turntable.

quote:

4 Easy Steps.
1.Walk, run, bike or take public transit to a participating Vinyl Gratification record store beginning July 15th.

2. Ask to pre-order Spoon’s newest full length album They Want My Soul which will be in stores on August 5th.

3. The store clerk will hand you a receipt and “instantly gratify” you with an exclusive 10” featuring 3 brand new songs from the full length album, 1 of which will be as yet unreleased.

4. Walk, run, bike or take public transit back to the same store with your receipt on August 5th and the store clerk will hand you your copy of They Want My Soul on vinyl.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

grilldos posted:

Two stores near my house and they do it at the one on the other side of town :effort:

This is a really cool idea though.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm glad that you at least noticed the odd sequencing. By the way, just to make things more confusing, the pressing plant hosed up and put the labels for record 1 on record 2 and vice versa, rendering the symbolic labeling system represented on the back of the jacket MOOT. At least, this has been the case for all the copies that I've opened and checked personally. Interested to know if yours is, in fact, correct. We're in the process of planning a larger repress for next year that will correct this error, but because I've always appreciated your guys' support in this thread, I'm letting you know here, now!

Thanks for listening and supporting :)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Please tell me you've got your boots on the plant's neck for a screwup of that magnitude.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Allen Wren posted:

Please tell me you've got your boots on the plant's neck for a screwup of that magnitude.

Yeah, it's Pirates, who press a lot of stuff for a lot of people and have a long-standing, good relationship with the label that put out this release (http://gold-robot.com/records). The label head, who is a great guy, is handling all of it with style and grace. Unfortunately with a smaller-scale operation like ours + Gold Robot, we can't afford to retract the hundreds of records that were sent straight from the plant to Redeye for distribution.

Fortunately it's an abstract enough release that it doesn't necessarily ruin the listening experience; it just sucks because we worked really hard on incorporating the labels into the overall design of the package, and now they're meaningless.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Holy poo poo that sucks. Have they offered any explanation for how that happened?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

1000 umbrellas posted:

I'm glad that you at least noticed the odd sequencing. By the way, just to make things more confusing, the pressing plant hosed up and put the labels for record 1 on record 2 and vice versa, rendering the symbolic labeling system represented on the back of the jacket MOOT. At least, this has been the case for all the copies that I've opened and checked personally. Interested to know if yours is, in fact, correct. We're in the process of planning a larger repress for next year that will correct this error, but because I've always appreciated your guys' support in this thread, I'm letting you know here, now!

Thanks for listening and supporting :)

Nope, the labels are switched on mine, too and Theme VII is at the beginning of side 3 instead of the end of side 2 like the back says. I had to use the digital download to figure out which side was which. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but both of my records also came covered in scratches. It doesn't skip or anything, but it's pretty noisy. I sent the label an email and the guy said he'd send me a new copy in a month when he gets settled in after the move, so that's cool at least.

I remember checking out the first album when it first came out and not really liking it, but I thought the concept behind this one was really cool (and I love THX1138) so I had to order it. I went back last night and gave the self-titled another listen and really liked it this time around so I went ahead and ordered copies of that and the Sun Ray EP. Pretty psyched to get those, so thanks for the good music!

BUY ME A CAT
Oct 18, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

grilldos posted:

I got one of these earlier today, it's a really great idea that I hope catches on. The songs on there are Rent I Pay, Do You, and Inside Out in case anyone was curious.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

Surfingelectrode posted:

Nope, the labels are switched on mine, too and Theme VII is at the beginning of side 3 instead of the end of side 2 like the back says. I had to use the digital download to figure out which side was which. I don't know if I'm just unlucky, but both of my records also came covered in scratches. It doesn't skip or anything, but it's pretty noisy. I sent the label an email and the guy said he'd send me a new copy in a month when he gets settled in after the move, so that's cool at least.

I remember checking out the first album when it first came out and not really liking it, but I thought the concept behind this one was really cool (and I love THX1138) so I had to order it. I went back last night and gave the self-titled another listen and really liked it this time around so I went ahead and ordered copies of that and the Sun Ray EP. Pretty psyched to get those, so thanks for the good music!

Oh shoot, you're right about Theme VII! Thanks for pointing that out, I will definitely add it to the list of things to correct for the repress (it's the jacket that's wrong, not the sequencing of the record, FYI). On the plus side, it's looking like the second run is going to be a magnitude of 10 what the first run was, so your copies will be rare! (no promises on the corresponding value thereof). My apologies about the scratched copy- I've tested a couple copies at home and found some to be a little noisy as well and some to be completely smooth. I think a certain percentage of less-than-perfect copies are part of the terrain when doing runs of vinyl, at least, that's what has been my experience so far. On the plus side, the clean copies of Prime sound great, so here's to GRR hooking you up (they're a great label, everyone should at least check out Monster Rally and Yalls, and keep going from there). Thanks again for the support, glad our earlier record found a spot in you the second time around :)

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Holy poo poo that sucks. Have they offered any explanation for how that happened?

Not so far...

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 15, 2014

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Surfingelectrode posted:

I love the Sun Ray EP sooooo much. It's my personal favorite Conveyor release.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

For those in the US, here's an EX/EX copy of Slayer's "Reign in Blood" for $24.99 w/ free shipping. Not a bad deal at all! It usually sells for ~$30 + shipping, and the Discogs median is $43.33.

I've spent the last few minutes contemplating buying this myself, because I don't have it and it's considered a classic, but I'm frankly not that into metal, so....
SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 16, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Well, I scratched my craigslist bargain hunting itch for the week (although I have a line on a McIntosh, so who knows). $35 for 8 lp's including a numbered white album, super minty 2nd pressing Sgt. Peppers, '77 Led Zeppelin IV RP that looks like it just came out of the shrinkwrap, and an almost equally nice Ziggy Stardust RP, looks like from '77 also.

EDIT: wow, the white album has pretty major seam splits, but other than that it looks great. Media's shiny and nice, no noticeable scratches. First press with all the label misprints, poster and all 4 photos. Not bad for 4 bucks and change.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 16, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mondo is pressing the Batman TAS soundtrack for Comic Con. Just thought I'd update y'all on another Mondo Soundtrack.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

Mondo is pressing the Batman TAS soundtrack for Comic Con. Just thought I'd update y'all on another Mondo Soundtrack.

I think it's actually a 7" 5+ different variants

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I can't find too much info on this $25 obo Led Zep live bootleg, but it looks like it sells from between $28 and $71. Could be a bargain!

E: And here's David Bowie's "Pin Ups" for a mere $3.99. SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 20, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hey vinyl thread, I'm selling some stuff in SA-Mart. Here. Thanks!

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I'm not sure whether this person understands the Goldmine grading system, so it's hard to positively verify condition, but here's an OG copy of Hüsker Dü's classic "New Day Rising" LP for $9.99 + $4 shipping within the US. It is not at all unusual to see auctions hit $15-20 for that record, so that's not a bad deal at all. This is another case of "I'd probably buy it if I didn't already have it." SOLD!

The same seller also has a copy of The Cramps' killer "Bad Music for Bad People" comp. LP for $24.99, which is also a fair deal.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 20, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

I'm not sure whether this person understands the Goldmine grading system, so it's hard to positively verify condition, but here's an OG copy of Hüsker Dü's classic "New Day Rising" LP for $9.99 + $4 shipping within the US. It is not at all unusual to see auctions hit $15-20 for that record, so that's not a bad deal at all. This is another case of "I'd probably buy it if I didn't already have it."

The same seller also has a copy of The Cramps' killer "Bad Music for Bad People" comp. LP for $24.99, which is also a fair deal.

On that Cramps record the box with all the album info says it's an EX but then his own description says VG so I think if you buy something from this guy you're rolling the dice.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Thank you dollar bin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyq1tlgtoM0

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Here's a copy of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" 3xLP box set. The box is only VG, but the vinyl is VG+, and $10.99 w/free shipping within the US is the nice price, indeed. SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Great dollar find. That baby sample at the end of Countdown is worth the price of admission alone.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
I feel inspired by izationalizer.

Die Antwoords new album Donkey Mag for 19.99 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LG6UB9C/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=zg_bsnr_372989011_43

Their older album Tension regularly goes for 100+ and this album is shaping up to be awesome.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I'm on a roll today:

This is yet another instance of a seller seemingly not understanding the Goldmine grading system, but if by "good" they mean "scratch-free" (or "mostly scratch-free," anyway), then $20 w/ free shipping for the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" is a very, very good deal.
SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2014

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Weird question that I'm definitely thinking about too much: why do many records from the mid-to-late 80s have this lovely clear plastic film over them?

I got this on a couple of records I bought today, and couldn't think of a reason to not remove it. I mean, I guess at one point it was intended to protect the cover, but I've never gotten a record that didn't have the film already tearing off. Plus, it has the bonus of removing the stupid promotional stickers on the cover without risking horrible cover tearing :v:

e: also, I got a haul today that, combined with my Lady Gaga shirt, had the record store owner judging the hell out of me:

* Madonna s/t
* Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger
* Duran Duran - Rio
* REM - Fables of the Reconstruction
* The Clash - Combat Rock
* U2 - War
* Yes - 90125

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 20, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

lovely clear plastic film

Do you mean, uh, shrink wrap, like records have usually been packaged in since from a really long time ago --> the present? Some people keep it on for protection, but I've heard that it can warp records over time*, so I, too, usually remove it, and then slip it into a plastic outer from Sleeve City. However, I'm actually less likely to remove it if it has promotional stickers. I think hype stickers are kinda cool, and they're actually desirable for many collectors; if you think you might sell it one day, it's definitely best to leave the shrink/sticker on (and store the record outside of the jacket to prevent warp-age). For instance, if you have an OG copy of "Highway 61 Revisited" with the hype sticker, it's worth double/triple/quadruple what it'd be worth without the sticker.

*Does anyone know how true this is? Most of the shrink-wrapped records I've bought are fine and flat. However, I do have a Little Walter LP that's warped and still has the shrink wrap. Is it causation, or correlation? I'm frankly unsure!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 20, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't think he means the shrink wrap. There some album covers that have this weird laminate that tends to peel off from age.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I don't think he means the shrink wrap. There some album covers that have this weird laminate that tends to peel off from age.

Yeah, but the Duran Duran record he posted a picture of is just still in its original shrinkwrap.

Stuff I bought over the past couple of days:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (original US first press)
Joy Division - Closer (original UK first press on red vinyl)
Wire - Pink Flag (original US first press)
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (original US first press)
Tears For Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World (US reissue with the kick cover)

Those first four punk records are all pretty much completely mint and look and sound amazing. Local store is killing it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Surfingelectrode posted:

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (original US first press)
Joy Division - Closer (original UK first press on red vinyl)
Wire - Pink Flag (original US first press)
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (original US first press)
Tears For Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World (US reissue with the kick cover)

:stare: dear god, this makes me feel so much worse about what I bought today. That's a loving incredible haul.

Though hey, turns out the version of Rio I bought has the best mixes, and Madonna's s/t has some dope tracks, so I guess it's not all bad but gently caress

I guess this is what I get for stopping at my local store on a Sunday afternoon instead of a random weekday, all their good poo poo was gone by then. At least everything I got had been sitting around for months so it was like $6 at most

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, and it's not necessarily exclusive to the 80s. My copy of George Benson's "White Rabbit" is circa 1972 and has laminate peeling issues.

Although I have been curious about the general consensus of keeping the original shrinkwrap on. My mother-in-law's collection had more than a few that had the shrinkwrap on, but some of it was so scuzzy I took it off. Felt a little like I was destroying an artifact as several of these were from the late 60s/early 70s.

As for new records I buy, I typically use a boxcutter to carefully split the wrap to let the record out and leave it as-is. In cases where I've had to take the shrinkwrap off entirely (usually for gatefolds) I usually cut the hype sticker away from the rest of the plastic and throw it in the sleeve. I'm not alone in doing this, as I recently bought a used copy of the Cars' debut album and was pleasantly surprised to find a packaging sticker chilling in the sleeve.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

:stare: dear god, this makes me feel so much worse about what I bought today. That's a loving incredible haul.

Though hey, turns out the version of Rio I bought has the best mixes, and Madonna's s/t has some dope tracks, so I guess it's not all bad but gently caress

I guess this is what I get for stopping at my local store on a Sunday afternoon instead of a random weekday, all their good poo poo was gone by then. At least everything I got had been sitting around for months so it was like $6 at most

The first Duran Duran album is still my favorite, but Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger totally have some huge jams on them.

As far as shrinkwrap goes, I always leave it on new records that are just in single-pocket jackets unless it's crazy tight and is going to mess up the sleeve and record over time. Jon Dwyer from Thee Oh Sees actually showed me a trick to doing it by rubbing the opening on your jeans back and forth really fast at a show I went to a few years ago, so I just do that if I don't have a razor handy.

Here's a photo of that stuff from my last post with some other new stuff I forgot to mention:

The Prodigy record is I guess the reissue that came out like a year ago? I got it used for $10, so hey why not?

The two Joy Division records have the weird variant sleeves... usually Unknown Pleasures has a textured sleeve and Closer has a rough one, but the first US pressing of the former was on a standard thick cardboard one and I guess a bunch of original UK copies of Closer just came in a normal sleeve. Weird but kinda cool? I'm so used to seeing Unknown Pleasures in that textured sleeve that it's kind of a mindfuck to have a copy where it's not.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Grabbed some dadrock, metal, and one of my favorite hip-hop albums today. The Viktor Vaughn album is an original dj promo pressing. It owns.