Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What can goons tell me about Starpoint Gemini 2? [gasp early access]
it seems pretty cool.. One of the reviews said it's like EVE offline which would seem pretty good.
The promoted reviews are positive, but it's hard to always say if it' sgood or bad.
not many goons on my list have played but 4 own..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Watch_Dogs suffers the same problem as Assassin's Creed: I'm too bloody busy absorbing all of the city's history via Wikipedia to play the game properly. I didn't realise Chicago was so fascinating.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hellburger99 posted:

ME3 multiplayer is still good and is still worth the $15 you'd have to pay to play it for a month on Xbox Live or whatever. Origin might not be as good as Steam, but it's a lot better than it was a year ago this time. The community still seems super active, too. I've been playing for the past week or so and I've never had trouble finding a full party.

Also, we will probably never see a collected edition of all the DLC. They never made one for ME2 and even the trilogy edition doesn't come with any of it. Bioware is making too much money selling it all separate for their Bioware funbucks.

I actually had ME3 for 360 and kept thinking I should get it for PC just for multiplayer but had no idea how active the playerbase was. Legitimate thanks for this.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Goddamn is the new Wolfenstein grim. Good, but grim.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

Watch_Dogs suffers the same problem as Assassin's Creed: I'm too bloody busy absorbing all of the city's history via Wikipedia to play the game properly. I didn't realise Chicago was so fascinating.

A lot of it is sadly made up, though. Place names have been changed (The location that is obviously Buckingham Fountain is not called Buckingham Fountain, stuff like that), locations have been made up, things like that. None of the many museums or sports arenas are included (there's one fictional arena that's supposed to stand in for like 4 different locations), and Navy Pier is n't anywhere close. Now I know how people in Seattle felt when Second Son came out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

A lot of it is sadly made up, though. Place names have been changed (The location that is obviously Buckingham Fountain is not called Buckingham Fountain, stuff like that), locations have been made up, things like that. None of the many museums or sports arenas are included (there's one fictional arena that's supposed to stand in for like 4 different locations), and Navy Pier is n't anywhere close. Now I know how people in Seattle felt when Second Son came out.

Haha, well, the in-game stuff was a jumping off point more than anything. :)

I've spent more time running around looking up place names, and then finding their real world equivalents online, than actually playing the game.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Technetium posted:

I actually had ME3 for 360 and kept thinking I should get it for PC just for multiplayer but had no idea how active the playerbase was. Legitimate thanks for this.

It's weird playing it with K+M instead of a controller, but you get used to it pretty fast. Or you can use Joy2Key if you have the patients to figure that poo poo out.

And add me on Origin: HellburgerSA.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha, well, the in-game stuff was a jumping off point more than anything. :)

I've spent more time running around looking up place names, and then finding their real world equivalents online, than actually playing the game.

That's because doing that is better than the game.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Hellburger99 posted:

It's weird playing it with K+M instead of a controller, but you get used to it pretty fast. Or you can use Joy2Key if you have the patients to figure that poo poo out.

And add me on Origin: HellburgerSA.

I dont have the cash for it right now but it goes on sale p often, I'll probably get it. Doesn't it have native controller support?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Technetium posted:

I dont have the cash for it right now but it goes on sale p often, I'll probably get it. Doesn't it have native controller support?

Nope, none of the Mass Effect games have any controller support on PC. Which is stupid as hell. Every time I get all pumped up to play through the series in glorious High Def, I stop myself when I realize that I can't do it just chilling out on my couch with a controller the way Shepard intended, even though Bioware very obviously has the data needed to put it in.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Technetium posted:

No, and there are some bizarre, rambling interviews with the devs explaining why (pretty much, they didn't want to). Honestly, though, it's not bad with K+M and you can rebind buttons in game.

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope, none of the Mass Effect games have any controller support on PC. Which is stupid as hell. Every time I get all pumped up to play through the series in glorious High Def, I stop myself when I realize that I can't do it just chilling out on my couch with a controller the way Shepard intended, even though Bioware very obviously has the data needed to put it in.

I thought ME2 had controller support for PC?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

That's because doing that is better than the game.

Be nice you pessimistic goose.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm so glad "My Sonic OCs the game" is actually making it to release

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Isn't that game supposed to be actually pretty good

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like a drooling idiot for asking this, but I'm at Galbalan in Oath in Felghana, and how are you meant to dodge the fireball spam in his first form? No matter what I try, running, normal jumping, double jumping, I always, always get clipped by the third-to-last one. I know I'm gonna need to take as little damage as possible for the later parts already, and this is also really frustrating me, which doesn't help.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Isn't that game supposed to be actually pretty good
It looks like it would have been on sale for $15 at the blockbuster video in 1993 after too many parents returned it

e: it even has japanese text in the logo for no raisin

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hellburger99 posted:

I thought ME2 had controller support for PC?

Nope. None of them. Closest we've got is some guy figuring out how to copy the .ini from the 360 version over to the PC, but then you're not able to use powers or menus. Which, again, means that all Bioware had to do was copy over the .ini and maybe port the menus over, but like you said, they just didn't want to do that.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Looks like Sanic meets Gunstar, and thus fantastic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know, it looks pretty good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quote:

Fight your way across the oriental world of Avalice where cats are green, motorcycles drive up walls and monster girls do most of the buttkicking!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

Be nice you pessimistic goose.

I was being politely truthful about Watch_Dogs. :colbert:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
There's a demo

http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know, it looks pretty good.

It is pretty good. It looks like Sonic, but plays more like a mash-up of every great platformer on the Genesis, including Gunstar Heroes and Ristar. Nice big levels, multiple characters with their own special routes/gimmicks through them, and in the early preview build I played, a couple of quite creative boss fights.

It's definitely more combat-focused than Sonic, depending on character played.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This looks like some weeaboo poo poo in the soft serve sonic machine and then had it greenlit, but it also looks like an actual sanic game which there really aren't enough attempts at, so I'll regret groaning when it is actually fun.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Don't badmouth the next Shovel Knight.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

Don't badmouth the next Shovel Knight.

That's a pretty good comparison. Shovel Knight was a big mash-up of the best elements from NES platformers, while this is the Genesis/Megadrive equivalent.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Holy crap, this looks great! I'm not crazy about the Sonic influences, but anything Gunstar-related gets a curious raise of the eyebrow from me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is the best game on Steam that is like Final Fantasy Tactics? I just played XCOM - thanks for the recommendation, by the way - but I'm in the mood for something more RPG-esque, something I can relax with after work and not worry about clicking things quickly.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Phenotype posted:

What is the best game on Steam that is like Final Fantasy Tactics? I just played XCOM - thanks for the recommendation, by the way - but I'm in the mood for something more RPG-esque, something I can relax with after work and not worry about clicking things quickly.

Shadowrun Returns is pretty good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Nope. None of them. Closest we've got is some guy figuring out how to copy the .ini from the 360 version over to the PC, but then you're not able to use powers or menus. Which, again, means that all Bioware had to do was copy over the .ini and maybe port the menus over, but like you said, they just didn't want to do that.

Last pc bioware game to have native controller support was Jade Empire, if I recall. Even then, it was janky as hell with mouse and keyboard being way better.

lordfrikk posted:

Why must you remind me of the worst thing I've watched in the last few years? :negative: But that's exactly how it is. I even knew beforehand it's going to be terrible but I felt like I wanted to watch it all just so I can reprimand everyone extremely harshly not to even start or end with the fourth or fifth season.

But Dexter¨s last few seasons are truly terrible unlike a certain third part of a trilogy.

Really I think Dexter is worse than any of the Mass Effects, writing wise. Dragon Age 2 is pretty borderline though.

That show is just dire.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 21, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Phenotype posted:

Sounds like you would probably like Divinity Orignial Sin then.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I thought only ME1 didn't have controller support because console ports weren't great then anyway but what the gently caress how does 2 or especially 3 not have it. loving EA.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sounds like you need to play some Fallout Tactics.

Divinity OS might be a little more complicated, but it's certainly a great game.

Also, Frozen Synapse is the best Chess substitute ever in the form of strategic cyberpunk SWAT destruction. It's fuckin' radical. Also, check out Silent Storm 2. :black101:

Don't waste your time with Shadowrun's lovely combat design until you've got no other games to turn to.

Also, and I'm still being absolutely serious here, but Sunrider, yes, it's anime, is actually really nicely done. It's got some pretty drat solid boardgame-esque type of combat. I don't know, but it's free and surprisingly well done and fun.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 21, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Technetium posted:

I thought only ME1 didn't have controller support because console ports weren't great then anyway but what the gently caress how does 2 or especially 3 not have it. loving EA.

I think it's just Bioware. Most EA games have controller support on PC, unless they flat-out don't have a console version.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Lance Streetman posted:

I think it's just Bioware. Most EA games have controller support on PC, unless they flat-out don't have a console version.

It could just be Bioware in which case EA also could've said "hey, put loving controller support in your games" so in either case I hate them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp the final boss in Betrayer is loving terrible but that was still a pretty neat game. No reason to ever play it again though and enabling "Dark Souls lose your equipment if you can't corpse run" mode sounds like a good way to really hate that game.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

or her pooch!
"

Phenotype posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Shadowrun Returns. The base campaign is a little too linear for some people, but I found it to be a pretty nice introduction to the setting. I'm currently running through the expansion and while I still like the base game, the expansion does improve upon it in virtually every way. They were on sale on the Humble Store recently, and they go on sale fairly often now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Finally fired up Magic 2015 and played through the tutorial. The UI seems just fine, not sure what the complaints are. Unless people mean the menus outside of a game? Those have always been scrolling, which is a little annoying to be fair. The UI seems functional enough to me - you don't need a ton of information on screen during a Magic game.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Technetium posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-bioware-explains-why-pc-mass-effect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads

They claim that it was too expensive to add it to the PC version. How loving expensive could it possibly be. There's no way Unreal doesn't support it in the back-end and all the front-end poo poo was already developed for the console version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thingyman posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-bioware-explains-why-pc-mass-effect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads

They claim that it was too expensive to add it to the PC version. How loving expensive could it possibly be. There's no way Unreal doesn't support it in the back-end and all the front-end poo poo was already developed for the console version.

They're essentially lying straight up, because you can enable controller support with a couple ini tweaks. It doesn't work in menus of any kind, but the dude parts of the game work fine. This holds true for all three ME games on PC.

• Locked thread