Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Watch out, Brock! There's a gremlin in the plane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Ah, thank you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did they have the crowd mics going during the pre-show when they were introducing the commentators? Michael Cole got booed harder than most of the heels on the show did.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

TheJoker138 posted:

When I stopped watching no one cared about or they hated him. He was doing poo poo like hosting the Diva Search. When I started watching again no one cared about him or they hated him. I guess he headlined 'Mania at some point in between there, but that was obviously some sort of mass hysteria.

From mid-late 2010 to early 2011, the PSP forum was actually very high on the Miz. Then again, I've heard they were once very high on Randy Orton too. I don't think they were ever high on Del Rio. You also missed him at his best: when he was tag teaming with John Morrison and they were hosting their own web series.

But, like a lot of things, it all got fed to the eternal Cena.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did they have the crowd mics going during the pre-show when they were introducing the commentators? Michael Cole got booed harder than most of the heels on the show did.

dunno about that, but I know they muted the jericho entrance a bit.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Meltzer believes Heyman and Cesaro has been quietly dropped with no angle, no explanation. So there you go, it was a way to keep Lesnar in your mind and that's it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Daniel Bryan posted:

Meltzer believes Heyman and Cesaro has been quietly dropped with no angle, no explanation. So there you go, it was a way to keep Lesnar in your mind and that's it.

God, I REALLY hope they put the belt on Brock and he just shows up every ten or so weeks to have a defense and then just vanishes again. It will be hilarious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Cornwind Evil posted:

God, I REALLY hope they put the belt on Brock and he just shows up every ten or so weeks to have a defense and then just vanishes again. It will be hilarious.

At this stage Vince probably hopes Brock wins and goes to MMA events carrying the belts to get attention and validity. Not even having matches, just watching. It'd get more buyrates than his own shows.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Okay, question. People in the Battleground thread kept linking different stuff like this:

I assume they were from some lovely site- is there a link somewhere that I missed?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Luneshot posted:

Okay, question. People in the Battleground thread kept linking different stuff like this:

I assume they were from some lovely site- is there a link somewhere that I missed?

http://allwrestlingsuperstars.com

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Cornwind Evil posted:

Same.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

one of my favorite parts of the ppv was when jericho was coming down the ramp and Cole was advertising the Slam City show instead of selling the match.
yo, they went from bray's "ominous" or w/e entrance to jericho and then cole is saying something like "it's a comical, exaggerated bleuuuurgh SLAM CITY" and it took me out of the moment because there was some dude made out of clay in the bottom corner and why the gently caress would you advertise that during a marquee match, let alone at all?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ages posted:

Watch out, Brock! There's a gremlin in the plane!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Same but in the knowledge that Brock is a draw and it's smart business

Shame about Cesaro but if you really thought he was going to the top with his total absence of mic skill and middling physical charisma, well.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

i'm legit confused. are heyman and cesaro split up? if so, what prompted it? i watched raw this past week but also it was kinda boring so maybe i missed that segment?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

i'm legit confused. are heyman and cesaro split up? if so, what prompted it? i watched raw this past week but also it was kinda boring so maybe i missed that segment?

Ceasaro came out alone for his match and Cole was like "he's been fired by Heyman!" and that was the whole thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

E: Double Post

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Professor Funk posted:

Also, are people really not bored out of their minds with Reigns' ring work?

uh, the match was pretty generic and boring until Reigns started doing his spots in a row and waking the crowd up

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TheJoker138 posted:

Ceasaro came out alone for his match and Cole was like "he's been fired by Heyman!" and that was the whole thing.

People here give HHH grief for the AM I GOING OVER stuff but here's a reminder of what the alternative is if you rely on WWE booking and writing to make you a star.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

oh. well then. i feel like a fool for not watching wwe monday night raw with the same attentive eye for subtle nuance i usually reserve for more intellectual fare like... i dunno? what's the latest LCD show people hate? is it still big bang theory? because lets go with that.

wwe have interesting characters right now. i know vince hates wrestling and i know wwe (for some reason) hates people who try and script their poo poo in a manner not befitting of something i could write during a lunch break, but hasn't anyone taken cues from wildly popular shows like breaking bad or mad men or fargo or w/e and realized people care about compelling narrative steeped in continuity and characters who SHADEZ OF GREY but in a way that organically makes us want to love or hate them? the closest they are to that right now is dean ambrose and even then, eughhh.

e: ambrose rules btw. this last ppv just kinda left me with a sour taste.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

the best part of the ppv, btw, is how cole somehow knew how to call a shining wizard. like that's the one non-suplex, non "name pun" wrestling move he's capable of recognizing on the fly.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That show was bad and they should feel bad.

Sanguinia posted:

I wish they'd space poo poo out to give Mania, Summerslam and Survivor Series an extra week of build each instead of a 3 week build filler show right before the second most important show of the year in terms of storylines.

Mania already has 6 weeks and they don't do a great job with it until the last few of those weeks, but I get what you mean. The bigger ones deserve a longer build and axing a couple could help that.

I have problems with a few annual PPVs. I think Payback should happen before Extreme Rules and go back to being called Backlash as the "Wrestlemania fallout" PPV, Battleground should go away because it consistently sucks, and Hell in a Cell should go back to being a gimmick people challenge each other to because they hate each other, not because "welp it's HIAC time i fite u".

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I kinda stopped paying attention to the thread, did people complain when cena won the main event even though it was a foregone conclusion and really the only thing that makes sense right now

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

so am i wrong or is aj/paige just eddie/batista minus the unfortunate aspect of... well... y'know... batista.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cardboard Box posted:

I kinda stopped paying attention to the thread, did people complain when cena won the main event even though it was a foregone conclusion and really the only thing that makes sense right now

IIRC it was kind of an empty resignation, where everybody was like "wait for it wait for it annnnd rapadooooo okay it happened. When is Summerslam, again?"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

It was more that absolutely nothing interesting happened. It being a foregone conclusion also just doesn't help.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Shine posted:

IIRC it was kind of an empty resignation, where everybody was like "wait for it wait for it annnnd rapadooooo okay it happened. When is Summerslam, again?"

Is there anyone over the age of 12 not rooting for Brock to beat Cena next month? For almost half the audience, Brock is the face. That's really odd considering that he beat the streak in order to get super heel heat.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

Mania already has 6 weeks and they don't do a great job with it until the last few of those weeks, but I get what you mean. The bigger ones deserve a longer build and axing a couple could help that.

I have problems with a few annual PPVs. I think Payback should happen before Extreme Rules and go back to being called Backlash as the "Wrestlemania fallout" PPV, Battleground should go away because it consistently sucks, and Hell in a Cell should go back to being a gimmick people challenge each other to because they hate each other, not because "welp it's HIAC time i fite u".

If any show could use some of the extra build time that axing Battleground would provide it's Survivor Series, that show's been awful for years which is sad because it used to be a Big 4 show for a reason rather than being grandfathered.

100% on board with bringing back Backlash, it was one of my favorites. They should turn Hell in a Cell into Breaking Point, that was a great show.

EDIT:

quote:

Is there anyone over the age of 12 not rooting for Brock to beat Cena next month? For almost half the audience, Brock is the face. That's really odd considering that he beat the streak in order to get super heel heat.

What? Brock has only been seen once since breaking the streak and he got TONS of heat. And that was the post-Wrestlemania Smarkiest Crowd Of The Year.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 21, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

It was more that absolutely nothing interesting happened. It being a foregone conclusion also just doesn't help.

yeah nah I'm not defending the show I thought it was really boring, I was just wondering if anyone was reeeaally hoping roman reigns would win or something

Tr33
May 26, 2007

AlmightyPants posted:

I legit love John Cena and will cheer for him, but theres no way Brock should lose after killing Taker.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Sugar Blaster posted:

so am i wrong or is aj/paige just eddie/batista minus the unfortunate aspect of... well... y'know... batista.

I have no loving idea what the story is with AJ/Paige.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Apple Craft posted:

I think they're supposed to be like female The Megapowers.

The Me-Girl Powers if you will.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Apple Craft posted:

the story is all women actually hate each other because WWE refuses to do anything with divas beyond a superficial level.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
It was a good match, but what the gently caress with Paige crying "c'mon AJ!" in frustration over and over. Then, AJ beats her and she cries. I don't get the motivation at all. It's like a real life relationship and I watch this poo poo for escape. You know what I am saying?

Tr33
May 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure Paige was mocking their supposed "friendship". Like come on AJ you can do better! even though in reality she hates her cuz women don't get along! That's what I got out of it anyway.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Apple Craft posted:

It was a good match, but what the gently caress with Paige crying "c'mon AJ!" in frustration over and over. Then, AJ beats her and she cries. I don't get the motivation at all. It's like a real life relationship and I watch this poo poo for escape. You know what I am saying?
i assume the story is that paige bought into their friendship and the "c'mon AJ" stuff was her not wanting to put the hurt on someone she cares about, but from AJ's perspective its just a ruse to take advantage of someone's emotions to win back the thing she actually cares about.

that said it had like one week of paige being like "oh yeah we're friends but not but kinda also a title match" so its not like the build was doing them any favors.

e: paige wanted a friendship. aj wanted a title. wwe wanted to not give a gently caress. here we are.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Tomorrow Charlotte will debut and confront AJ in the ring and AJ will be cocky and let her have a match and Charlotte will win with a sudden finisher

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think the Usos might be the best American tag team right now. A lot of people will say the Young Bucks, and their matches have been better but they generally have better opponents. The tag match was basically three guys working around one (although Rowan didn't drag it down.) Even if they aren't the best they are right up there with the Bucks, Bad Influence and reDRagon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MotU posted:

Tomorrow Charlotte will debut and confront AJ in the ring and AJ will be cocky and let her have a match and Charlotte will win with a sudden finisher

Ahh, so the story Creative is going for with the divas is Groundhog Day, until they finally find one who can get over with their bad booking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Daniel Bryan posted:

That's really depressing all the face momentum he had from the beginning of the year going into Wrestlemania was just completely squandered with no payoff whatsoever.

AlmightyPants posted:

If the original plan really was Lesnar ending Bryan's title reign I'd imagine he would've gotten a ton of heat for that. But probably 80% of the Summerslam crowd is going to be in his corner over Cena's which will kind of ruin what they were first aiming for.

• Locked thread