Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Febreeze posted:

TO briefly played for the Seahawks so you even failed your own lovely homerism gimmick

The 2013 Seahawks are literally one of the greatest teams to ever play football, the 2014 Seahawks don't show any signs of decline. That doesn't make me an Aaron Curry fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I wonder if Lord Waffle Beard is a Chich long con

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Intruder posted:

I wonder if Lord Waffle Beard is a Chich long con

Nah, it's more like if Conquistador was a Hawks fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The 2013 Seahawks are literally one of the greatest teams to ever play football, the 2014 Seahawks don't show any signs of decline. That doesn't make me an Aaron Curry fan

Oh so you're a '94 9ers fan yourself without the offense. Yeah you might not get back to where you were but you probably won't have to deal with Eddie DeBartolo, seems like another win for Seattle.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

This seems accurate, imo

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Quest For Glory II posted:

They should all share the same podium in Canton and kick Hines Ward off the stage so he can't be enshrined

All at once, like a can can dance

Anyone who is not already gearing up for the Hines Ward HoF internet fight is not a true football fan.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean

Which is the real reason for the "Super Bowl Hangover."

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_toward_the_mean

Which is the real reason for the "Super Bowl Hangover."

Super Bowl hangover isn't really regression to the mean, its more that winning a Super Bowl is really hard, even if you have a super talented team. Just ask the 2007 Patriots. And the 2007 Pats fans over and over because its fun.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Well it sort of is for the exact reasons you just said. Results in sports are talent + random events including luck.

A good portion of regression to the mean in sports is that luck evening out. It can also be attributed to the underlying reason for the sophomore slump, the SI curse, etc.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, considering that people usually get on the cover of Madden after having a career best season, it's easy to see why they'd regress

Of course, when the Madden Curse results in a jail sentence for dog fighting...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spoeank posted:

Well it sort of is for the exact reasons you just said. Results in sports are talent + random events including luck.

A good portion of regression to the mean in sports is that luck evening out. It can also be attributed to the underlying reason for the sophomore slump, the SI curse, etc.

Regression to mean is more about overperforming rather than performing to your expected ability. For instance, a QB like Foles having the statistical year he had. Next year, he will likely regress to his mean, which may be terrible or it may be really good. We won't know for a couple years honestly. With a more dynamic thing like teams, regression to the mean means that they will got form good to average. The Patriots (and likey) the Seahawks won't regress to the mean. They will still be really really good. If the Broncos win 14 games this year, but not the Super Bowl, they are aren't overachieving, they are doing what is natural.

Basically, there is a difference between regressing to the mean and failing to win a game in the playoffs. If the Seahawks go 9-7 then I will say they regressed to the mean. But if they make the playoffs and win a game, you can't say that even if they don't win the Super Bowl.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Seahawks have had two Madden covers since 2006 - has any other team had two Madden cover players that soon apart? How many teams have even had two Madden cover players ever? Clearly Seahawks rule, especially late-career Shaun Alexander.

Edit: The Alexander Madden cover was actually Madden 07???? Good god, he was terrible in 2006. How did that happen?

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 22, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Titans had Eddie George and Vince Young

e: The Lions had Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders in back to back years but I'm not sure that counts

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

Seahawks have had two Madden covers since 2006 - has any other team had two Madden cover players that soon apart? How many teams have even had two Madden cover players ever? Clearly Seahawks rule, especially late-career Shaun Alexander.

Lions.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Lions sort of cheated and had back to back years.

Titans, Lions, Seahawks.

e: Considering how bad your average Madden fan is I'm kind of stunned the Steelers only have one, and that one shared.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 22, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gohuskies posted:

Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders were back to back.

Edit: gently caress, beaten badly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

How on Earth did neither Tom Brady nor Peyton Manning ever earn the cover?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Seahawks won like six regular season games by one possession when the other team had them dead to rights through most of the game and that's the sort of thing that can regress to the mean very, very easily between seasons.

If they lose any one of those games and/or Drew Brees doesn't get that ticky tack call the Seahawks don't even reach the Super Bowl last year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Swickles my man we're saying the same thing but in different ways and with different viewpoints on regression in athletics. The Seahawks' mean (extracting flukiness) is different than the Jags' mean. Regression to the mean in sports doesn't mean getting closer to average it means getting closer to that player or team's true talent level.

Foles would regress because his non-picks that randomly bounced off DBs' hands will be caught. The Seahawks won't necessarily have random weird wins like the Titans game last year.

Like I said, it's extracting the luck from the results and getting to a team or a player's true talent level. Its the same theory behind bounce back players.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If (team) doesn't get a few breaks it doesn't reach the Superbowl in (year)

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Sour Diesel posted:

Nah, it's more like if Conquistador was a Hawks fan.

conquistador was at least funny-bad once in a while

c&p Lord Waffle Beard --> ~pro click zone~

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
^^^^
Haha, I forgot I put gigs on ignore. I wonder if he's still around.

Bengals get the breaks this year I called dibs.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Intruder posted:

They're waiting for both of them to retire so they can put both of them on the cover for the next year.

I feel that's mastabutory enough for the NFL

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 22, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^
Haha, I forgot I put gigs on ignore. I wonder if he's still around.

Bengals get the breaks this year I called dibs.

Super Bowl champion Andy Dalton would be a really cool thing to see on late night Cincinatti area commercials in a couple years, I'd approve.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

wheez the roux posted:

conquistador was at least funny-bad once in a while

c&p Lord Waffle Beard --> ~pro click zone~

If I put every bad poster on ignore this place would be a wasteland

Also I wouldn't be able to see my own posts

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Hi, I'm Andy Dalton. As you know, I know a thing or two about being carried, kicking, screaming and soiling myself, to greatness. That's why you can trust me when I say Irma's Stroller emporium is the place to go for all your infant transporting needs."

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Here's 300 words from forty nine fans about regression and why I think it relates to the Seattle Seahawks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Here's 300 words from forty nine fans about regression and why I think it relates to the Seattle Seahawks

you're an utterly charmless individual

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I don't know what that means

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Better Seattle athlete: Richard Sherman or Kevin Durant

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
300 words on why the Jacksonville Jaguars should hire 12 MMA fighters and let them wreak havoc on the opposing teams. By: Dogg_Detroit

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Intruder posted:

I think Brady was on the cover of NFL 2k one year.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think Brady was on the cover of NFL 2k one year.

Wasn't he actually on Gameday or one of the other C-tier football franchises?

Shocking.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Imagine it, you let Tom Brady sit back in the pocket while Ronda Rousey stands next to him.

Terrell Suggs breaks through!

Ronda throws him to the ground with a toss and oh my god she's cranking the arm!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Imagine it, you let Tom Brady sit back in the pocket while Ronda Rousey stands next to him.

Terrell Suggs breaks through!

Ronda throws him to the ground with a toss and oh my god she's cranking the arm!

You picked the wrong way to sell this to me, Brady should be the one getting his arm broken

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

You wouldn't, wouldn't you

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Tom Brady might be a chatch at times but he's never poured bleach on one of his own children so he has that going for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I like to think I'm included in this, until I get to the part where the Chiefs will sign Kaepernick after he busts completely or his backup in 3 years and then it's not funny anymore.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Waffle Beard keeps suckering you in by not quite having a negative postcount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!