Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

PleasingFungus posted:

Like Read said, perhaps should've used the wand of draining on the earlier enemy, the one that was actually vulnerable to it. :)

Or I could use my triple sword on it. A triple sword is effective against executioners when wielded with a character with min. delay in the sword skill branch in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

kaschei posted:

You don't have to finish off enemies, and last hitting isn't treated preferentially to other hitting.
Guess I was wrong about EXP and last hitting, but there are several deities where last hitting is an issue if you use Summons.

For example, Okawaru doesn't penalize your summoned allies dying in droves now, but trying to go Okawaru on a Summoner start still isn't a great choice because he only awards piety if you actually kill the monster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

Like Read said, perhaps should've used the wand of draining on the earlier enemy, the one that was actually vulnerable to it. :)

Guys I don't think he's being serious. Just a hunch.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frykte posted:

lmfao raped raping raped GG faggots

Riveting tale, friend.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Darox posted:

Actually, I'm curious. How much experience do you get if a monster gets the last hit on a friend or themselves?
If you or an ally have damaged the monster, I believe you get 50% + (your damage/total damage). I think this includes things like mephing orcs in baileys (where you do very little damage and so only get about half experience... but all the loot!).

edit: actually I don't know how it works if the monster dies from something other than hp loss. If you do 1 out of 1 damage before confusing something into blue lava is that full experience? I don't know

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

kaschei posted:

If you or an ally have damaged the monster, I believe you get 50% + (your damage/total damage). I think this includes things like mephing orcs in baileys (where you do very little damage and so only get about half experience... but all the loot!).

edit: actually I don't know how it works if the monster dies from something other than hp loss. If you do 1 out of 1 damage before confusing something into blue lava is that full experience? I don't know

Pretty sure that damage from monsters you have confused counts as damage from you. You get experience from enemies who you confuse and drown but never directly damage. What I was wondering about was stuff like when an elf mage fireballs at point blank and kills himself.

E: After some quick experiments it seems that if a monster kills itself while confused you get full XP but if another confused monster kills them you only get partial.

Darox fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 22, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Any advice for this guy? http://pastebin.com/z6U2zkxY

code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15-a0-2130-g28e4b74 (tiles) character file.

DSFE the Warrior (Demonspawn Fire Elementalist)   Turns: 138890, Time: 09:35:09

HP 226/226       AC 33     Str 12      XL: 27
MP  47/48        EV 17     Int 33      God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 7388        SH 18     Dex 18      Spells: 10 memorised,  2 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +10 broad axe of the Dungeon {elec, rC++}
rCold  + + +     Clarity  +     h - +2 fire dragon armour
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     p - +0 shield {AC+3} (curse)
rPois  +         rRot     .     Y - +2 hat {rF+} (curse)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     A - +2 cloak {MR+} (curse)
SustAb .         Warding  +     P - +1 pair of gloves "Onlo" {MR++ Stlth+}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  .                        I - cursed macabre finger necklace {Ward rN+}
MR     +++++                    t - cursed ring of Gasaz {Wiz Dex+4 Int+3}
                                B - ring of Summertime {rPois rN+ MP+9 Slay+5}
                                D - cursed ring "Brikix" {rC++ AC+2 Str+2 Int+2}

@: deflect missiles, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, quite
stealthy
A: antennae 1, claws 1, talons 3, large bone plates 3, berserk 1, blurry vision
1, breathe flames 1, clarity, demonic guardian 3, negative energy resistance 1,
poison resistance, powered by pain 3, screaming 1, electricity resistance, slow
healing 1, 50% torment resistance, black mark
a: Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion, Breathe Fire
}: 4/15 runes: barnacled, silver, abyssal, gossamer
I need to re-do my rings, and I can probably get away from the finger necklace. Only end game spells I've found is a necronomicon and a couple of books with Tornado, though. Right now I fireball/iron shot/haste up and melee my way through just about everything. I could just go after the orb but I hate wasting torment resistance. Slime's next, and I guess I just hope for good books?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

What's wrong with tornado? It's perfect for a hybrid and there's nothing stopping you from using it, though it will be a while before you can cast it.

Regarding summons, I just cleared Zot: 5 on my HESu. Though summoner has a rough start, I ultimately found it to be really strong. You get a whole lot of killing power and defensive utility for investment in just one school. I had mid twenties long blades, fighting and dodging in depths while being able to cast summon horrible things as well as haste and controlled blink. Conjuror hybrids can't manage such solid fighting ability even with Ashenzari. I ended up choosing malign gateway and summon horrible things. I read a lot of posts on the tavern that said malign gateway isn't very good, but I think it's brilliant. Its damage output is absurd for the mp cost. I had it castable by the end of swamp and it trivialized the rune vault. It was extremely effective on elf: 3 as well and it's even good in zot for chewing up orbs of fire. Summon horrible things is simply amazing both as a defensive and offensive tool. All in all, summoner feels really finicky early, what with needing to stand next to enemies and take hits without having the xp to train defenses, but by lair branches, it felt like I was playing a skald on steroids.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What's wrong with tornado? It's perfect for a hybrid and there's nothing stopping you from using it, though it will be a while before you can cast it.

You're probably right, although I've cleared almost all of Zot, so I don't know if there's enough XP in slime to make it worthwhile. Ring of fire might be interesting though. I have that in a couple of books.

EDIT: Annihilation at the bottom of slime!

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 22, 2014

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
purple roulette got me Robust 1! and Wild Magic 3.

Good thing I'm a troll :v:

It Freshens!
Feb 12, 2005

Has this happened to anyone else before? What an adorable little D:7 I got!

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

It Freshens! posted:

If you squint, it almost looks like australia

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

It Freshens! posted:

I've seen three people report this now, in D/Lair. I assume it's something with recent layout generation changes, but I'm not familiar with the relevant code, sadly...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Finagle posted:

If you squint, it almost looks like australia

Can't be, there's nothing poisonous in it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
PleasingFungus, please let whoever is responsible know that whenever I see new tiles for helmets or boots or armours or whatever, it makes me very happy. Little things like greater variance in tiles, fresh vaults, and more unrand artefacts makes each play through feel even more unique than it already is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of tiles, is the person who would come in here asking for tiles that people would like to see redone still in here?

I'd personally like to see all the various vault-unique enemies (wardens, convokers, preservers etc) get a redesign to be more visually distinct, and ideally color-coded the way elves and orcs are. It's annoying having to relearn those enemies every time I make it back to vaults because the sprites aren't distinct enough to stick in my memory for more than a few days.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of tiles, is the person who would come in here asking for tiles that people would like to see redone still in here?

I'd personally like to see all the various vault-unique enemies (wardens, convokers, preservers etc) get a redesign to be more visually distinct, and ideally color-coded the way elves and orcs are. It's annoying having to relearn those enemies every time I make it back to vaults because the sprites aren't distinct enough to stick in my memory for more than a few days.

They are color coded though. Guards are grey, sentinels are blue, convokers are yellow, protectors are green and wardens are yellow-red.

It'd be nice if wardens were a little more distinct from convokers but aside from that it's pretty easy to see which is which.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Also:

Green orc = priest
Green elf = mage

megane
Jun 20, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

e:f;b:

Those are my doing, sorry. I guess I could make them more distinct, but I'd have to think about how. They're colored to match their colors in console, so I didn't want to make one bright purple or something.

FulsomFrank posted:

PleasingFungus, please let whoever is responsible know that whenever I see new tiles for helmets or boots or armours or whatever, it makes me very happy. Little things like greater variance in tiles, fresh vaults, and more unrand artefacts makes each play through feel even more unique than it already is.

The new helmets were made by roctavian, if I recall correctly. Bloax contributes a lot as well, but I don't think he's on SA.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Darox posted:

They are color coded though. Guards are grey, sentinels are blue, convokers are yellow, protectors are green and wardens are yellow-red.

It'd be nice if wardens were a little more distinct from convokers but aside from that it's pretty easy to see which is which.

I guess I don't know what my problem is then. Every single time I make it to vaults I have trouble remembering both which name is associated with which deadly, game-ending effect, and which sprite is associated with which name. Maybe it's just because the "body" of the sprite is armor-colored on all of them, with only a colored cloak? I got nothing.

e: Now that they've been helpfully posted in one spot, preservers are definitely the best of them (and the only one I can recognize on sight). It'd be nice to have their color cover their entire body instead of just being on the fringes.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 22, 2014

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Preserver / Warden / Sentinel / Convoker / Guard

The names are very flavorful, but a bit obscure. Are the tiles built off a paperdoll or is that just an artifact of when you made them megame?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Friendly reminder to always worship Xom.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you gonna die

e: that gets more insane every time I read it

e2: pfft no robust

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

megane posted:

I guess I could make them more distinct, but I'd have to think about how.
For what its worth, I think they're fine as is.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

e2: pfft no robust

He legit just gave me that in a fight against Mara.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

He legit just gave me that in a fight against Mara.

it's me I'm xom

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vaults guards look perfectly fine to me. I've never had trouble telling any of them apart.

VVVV I play mutation roulette with basically every character and it usually goes terribly. I have no self control though so I just keep doing it because when it works its sooooooo good.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 22, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Gah... everyone is doing the mutation roulette thing now, "always eat the purple", yada yada...

So for once I actually do try a mutation roulette on my character, and I get shoutitis and teleportitis and frail and a bunch of other bad mutations. I double down on the mutations hoping to reverse the worst ones, and things just keep getting worse and worse. I ended up converting from Trog to Zin because this guy sucks so much now, although he's somehow still alive at XL21.

If I can survive the Trog wrath and get to six Zin stars, this guy may become playable again.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
What's a good god for a KoHu? I really don't have much experience with hunters outside of Ogres, so I'm a little lost. I'm thinking either Oka, because finesse is always good and ammo gifts would be helpful, or Dith, because Kobolds are already super stealthy and my melee weapon will probably be a short blade anyway.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

My Djinni halfbreed DsIE.

Not My Leg posted:

What's a good god for a KoHu? I really don't have much experience with hunters outside of Ogres, so I'm a little lost. I'm thinking either Oka, because finesse is always good and ammo gifts would be helpful, or Dith, because Kobolds are already super stealthy and my melee weapon will probably be a short blade anyway.

Oka is the best choice, Dith would also be great, Fedhas, if you know how to use him, is good for hunters from what I hear, but I never figured him out. Trog wouldn't be awful either, berserk is powerful.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

bisonbison posted:

The names are very flavorful, but a bit obscure. Are the tiles built off a paperdoll or is that just an artifact of when you made them megame?

They're built from older existing tiles. If you track the vault guard tile back a few versions (one or two before the warden et al were added) the vault guard had a diapery-crotch guard and pillowy upper-body. I altered the original vault guard once, megane added several other elements and made the new monster tiles. The monster demigod, hell knight, and death knight are all based on the original Vault Guard tile.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Does stabbing work with ranged weapons?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LogicNinja posted:

No, although bashing with a ranged weapon stabs if you have the boots of the assassin on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Play a VpEn with the boots, wielding a +9 blowgun.

You hear a slurping noise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

No, although bashing with a ranged weapon stabs if you have the boots of the assassin on.

Does this work with anything wielded? Can I finally stab mara with bread like I've always dreamed of?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bisonbison posted:

Also:

Green orc = priest
Green elf = mage
Yeah, this is still something which I think would be way more clear+better if they aligned. There's not really a reason for them not to.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
WRT the Vaults special monsters: I don't have trouble telling the tiles apart, its more a question of remembering which of warden/guard/sentinel do what. Preserver and Convoker are self-descriptive. And I guess in the back of my mind I know that Guards are the pure-melee. But it gets confusing which one marks and which one locks the doors.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Shield / Jailer / Marker / Summoner / Guard

And just call them all Ironbrand.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LogicNinja posted:

Only with blowguns.

bisonbison posted:

And just call them all Ironbrand.

Wouldn't that make things more confusing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

WRT the Vaults special monsters: I don't have trouble telling the tiles apart, its more a question of remembering which of warden/guard/sentinel do what. Preserver and Convoker are self-descriptive. And I guess in the back of my mind I know that Guards are the pure-melee. But it gets confusing which one marks and which one locks the doors.

There's a really easy system for dealing with vault guards. If he has got yellow he's dangerous, otherwise he's a faker. The other guards have colorful plumage to try and convince you of their threat but only the yellow ones have teeth.

More yellow = More danger

• Locked thread