Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Present posted:

So wait, at the end of the show the humans decide to live on some new planet they found, caveman style?

They willfully abandon modern (future) medicine, science, plumbing and electricity to live in mud huts and hunt animals for food with rocks and clubs?

What the gently caress.

you watched 75 hours of a show and didn't understand any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

butplug accident posted:

while you must singed-handedly spend all day maintaining a huge spaceship, lee's mongrel crew will be doing hard, fulfilling work which includes exploring new places to pick food off of trees from, and crafting various tools, but rarely for more than 4-6 hours a day. lol

ladies who wants to go back to the good old days of 30-40% infant mortality and women dying in childbirth and all that awesome poo poo everyone loved that amirite!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

ladies who wants to go back to the good old days of 30-40% infant mortality and women dying in childbirth and all that awesome poo poo everyone loved that amirite!

yeah anything but that. the functional equivalent of abortions. oh noes lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No see, they all died in the crash. That's what the empty plane on the beach meant. They were in purgatory the whole time. That's what the one guy's dad meant in the church at the end.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Xaris posted:

edit: also syfy really never made good shows.

We'll just have to agree that what you said about Farscape is crazy, but Defiance has turned out to be quite good. The first year is heavy on the cheese, but this season has been pretty well done. I really don't follow the "great Acting" in BSG thing though. EJO and old Apollo did the best they could with what they had to work with, but everybody else was pretty painful to watch.

Oh, except the guy who played Baltar. He was hammy and over the top, but the fun he was having while doing it was kinda infectious.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

butplug accident posted:

yeah anything but that. the functional equivalent of abortions. oh noes lol

aborting mommy too is usually not part of the procedure but I am not an expert idk

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i like how they all split up in the end to make their odds of survival worse

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

zVxTeflon posted:

i like how they all split up in the end to make their odds of survival worse

How else can you possibly explain humans on different continents?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Flesh Forge posted:

aborting mommy too is usually not part of the procedure but I am not an expert idk

ok in all seriousness, not that i'd ever advocate going back to that poo poo for any reason, but the fact that for 100.000 years our ancestors worked less hours than we do for a greater reward (in social terms, all their work was fulfilling and cooperative) and enjoyed a higher quality of life is disturbing. if you factor out the dead-rear end kids and moms they even lived an average of like 60 years to our 78. and most of the really bad diseases only came about when people started crowding in cities anyway. it's just good as a reminder that a better way of life is possible

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

better in that since you have no tech thus you have no televisions and are spared the horror of watching this lovely, lovely show yes

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Cylons are autists

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Cyclons are vaccinated machines

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
Be sure to watch Battlestar Galactica: The Plan to see Edward James Olmos direct his own wife (thirty tears his junior) in an extended R-rated sex scene with a big black dude.

Also, Starbuck gets her right tit out in that newest Pitch Black Riddick Vin Diesel poo poo.

Also lol @ the boxing episode.

Also be sure to check out the BSG threads on here for double lolz where you can read the fags from TVIV talk about how "perfect" the ending was and how it completely made sense.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

ejo is the most handsome latino man.

danny trejo is #2.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kirk Johnson posted:

Be sure to watch Battlestar Galactica: The Plan to see Edward James Olmos direct his own wife (thirty tears his junior) in an extended R-rated sex scene with a big black dude.

Also, Starbuck gets her right tit out in that newest Pitch Black Riddick Vin Diesel poo poo.

Also lol @ the boxing episode.

Also be sure to check out the BSG threads on here for double lolz where you can read the fags from TVIV talk about how "perfect" the ending was and how it completely made sense.

Yeah the latest Riddick movie had the classic sleazy shower scene in the beginning.

Lucy Lawless got wonderfully naked in Spartacus.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Kirk Johnson posted:

BSG had the single worst ending I have ever seen in a tv series. The entire last season was complete poo poo.

I remember reading that the writing team had no plan or direction for the series. They just kind of wrote it and made poo poo up as they went. Then when it came time to end the series, they had written themselves in to a corner and decided to just give up and poo poo out season 4. It's hilarious to watch the fanboys defend the last season in that light.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pawn 17 posted:

I remember reading that the writing team had no plan or direction for the series. They just kind of wrote it and made poo poo up as they went.

spoiler alert: this is literally every serialized television show ever made

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Xaris posted:

edit: also syfy really never made good shows. BSG was sort of an anomaly in quality and great acting, but most of the stargate stuff sucked and Farscape was ok but not as good as people claim.

Stargate started on Showtime and ran there for 5 years before the siffy came into play any and about 14 of the 15 seasons of Stargate stuff was enjoyable at least. Farscape is literally the best sci-fi series ever, though.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Kirk Johnson posted:

post funny stuff from the threads

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

BSG had the single worst ending I have ever seen in a tv series. The entire last season was complete poo poo.

I remember reading that the writing team had no plan or direction for the series. They just kind of wrote it and made poo poo up as they went. Then when it came time to end the series, they had written themselves in to a corner and decided to just give up and poo poo out season 4. It's hilarious to watch the fanboys defend the last season in that light.

It was ok until Widmore used that machine to send Desmond to the flash sideways because that made it seem like another timeline when it was purgatory. What bullshit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jack Gladney posted:

It was ok until Widmore used that machine to send Desmond to the flash sideways because that made it seem like another timeline when it was purgatory. What bullshit.

It's funny, you could copy+paste what Pawn17 said into a Lost thread and it's still fit. 2009-2010 was a poo poo year for season finales.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

It's funny, you could copy+paste what Pawn17 said into a Lost thread and it's still fit. 2009-2010 was a poo poo year for season finales.

And what the gently caress was that cut to black all about? Did somebody finally get Tony? And all to Journey? gently caress that poo poo.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

remember that time baltar kept his mouth shut about the nuclear weapon and it resulted in the deaths of hundreds of people

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kirk Johnson posted:

What, is she nursing him?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Frankenstyle posted:

We'll just have to agree that what you said about Farscape is crazy, but Defiance has turned out to be quite good. The first year is heavy on the cheese, but this season has been pretty well done. I really don't follow the "great Acting" in BSG thing though. EJO and old Apollo did the best they could with what they had to work with, but everybody else was pretty painful to watch.

Oh, except the guy who played Baltar. He was hammy and over the top, but the fun he was having while doing it was kinda infectious.

can anyone else endorse defiance. i like pretty bad scifi but the few clips i saw of the first season looked so godawful i stayed the gently caress away

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gaius baltar did nothing wrong

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

...of SCIENCE! posted:

you watched 75 hours of a show and didn't understand any of it

I quit watching at the end of season two because I couldn't take any more of the Baltar/blonde lady hallucination scenes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Apoplexy posted:

Farscape is literally the best sci-fi series ever, though.

How do people say this when Babylon 5 exists? Everyone please watch it if you haven't.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Present posted:

I quit watching at the end of season two because I couldn't take any more of the Baltar/blonde lady hallucination scenes.

Balter is the only reason I kept watching.

I'm enjoying rewatching the series a lot more now that I decided to straight up skip some scenes and episodes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Baltar was well acted but he was really an unlikeable little poo poo for the most part.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dont think you are supposed to like him. hes cowardly, has no morality, and is pretty much the villain. he was there so you actually rooted for the gruff captain and the gruffer xo

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

spoiler alert: this is literally every serialized television show ever made

Except Breaking Bad. Which also happens to be the best show of all time. No suprises that having an overall direction for a show with a beginning, middle, and end results in a good show vs just making poo poo up as you go along like LOST or BSG.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 23, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

THS posted:

i dont think you are supposed to like him. hes cowardly, has no morality, and is pretty much the villain. he was there so you actually rooted for the gruff captain and the gruffer xo

Yeah I know, which is why I sort of don't get all the "I kept watching just for Baltar" stuff. The guy was mostly just irritating.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

How do people say this when Babylon 5 exists? Everyone please watch it if you haven't.

Nah B5 is pretty good but half the cast are literally the worst actors and two out of 5 seasons are dogshit. Farscape has a better ratio of good/bad and has a better plot than your old man cold war analogy.

THS posted:

can anyone else endorse defiance. i like pretty bad scifi but the few clips i saw of the first season looked so godawful i stayed the gently caress away

Its good, not amazing and starts like absolute garbage but the space mafia guys are loads of fun as ones like a competent puppet master type and the other is a stab happy cartoon villain type which is actually the best goddamn thing in this show. Your not going to write home about it and it does some stupid poo poo but overall they seem to have found their groove by season 2 and avoided falling into the lovely 'oh god please dont have that be the reason stuff is happening' plot holes.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kingcom posted:

Nah B5 is pretty good but half the cast are literally the worst actors and two out of 5 seasons are dogshit. Farscape has a better ratio of good/bad and has a better plot than your old man cold war analogy.

babylon 5 is possibly the most uneven tv show ever made. like some of the makeup and costumes and sets are amazing, some of the makeup and costumes and sets are completely loving awful. a few of the actors are terrific, possibly some of the best performances on a scifi tv show, and a few of the actors are unbelievably bad

it would have been unwatchable if the writing hadnt been consistently interesting. i think the first two seasons are actually pretty ok also. id rate season 5 as the worst

also i wish i had never known that the guy who plays garibaldi is a conservative libertarian parody irl

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

THS posted:

babylon 5 is possibly the most uneven tv show ever made. like some of the makeup and costumes and sets are amazing, some of the makeup and costumes and sets are completely loving awful. a few of the actors are terrific, possibly some of the best performances on a scifi tv show, and a few of the actors are unbelievably bad

it would have been unwatchable if the writing hadnt been consistently interesting. i think the first two seasons are actually pretty ok also. id rate season 5 as the worst

also i wish i had never known that the guy who plays garibaldi is a conservative libertarian parody irl

The only reason I could ever sit through season 1 is to just skip to Londo and G'Kar scene since those two basically carry the show.

Season 5 has a interesting plot after you get past the garbage first half that goes nowhere and is pointless. Season 1 is purely just set up except the main character needs to be removed so a big chunk of the setup is wasted. Outside of Mordin scenes (and aforementioned Londo/G'Kar) everything is irrelevent and skippable. Delen is basically a completely different character after season 1 and most of the setup doesn't have much of a payoff outside of standalone episodes.

Also any time Chekov shows up is usually a pretty solid episode too.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 23, 2014

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

THS posted:

yeah but to be fair, anyone else would've signed those death papers if they also got to bang the hot blonde one

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THS posted:

It's a somewhat inconsistent show but still worth watching due to how it's really not a scifi focused techno-babble show.

More like a future deadwood that takes in something akin to post apocalype portland.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kingcom posted:

The only reason I could ever sit through season 1 is to just skip to Londo and G'Kar scene since those two basically carry the show.

Season 5 has a interesting plot after you get past the garbage first half that goes nowhere and is pointless. Season 1 is purely just set up except the main character needs to be removed so a big chunk of the setup is wasted. Outside of Mordin scenes (and aforementioned Londo/G'Kar) everything is irrelevent and skippable. Delen is basically a completely different character after season 1 and most of the setup doesn't have much of a payoff outside of standalone episodes.

Also any time Chekov shows up is usually a pretty solid episode too.

goddamn i forgot how much mordin owned (got owned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZGAWcda2E

what are you gonna do mollari, huh? blow up the island?

my fav scene in any scifi show. goddamn was that a satisfying end to that plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

old dog child posted:

yeah but to be fair, anyone else would've signed those death papers if they also got to bang the hot blonde one

Gaius Baltar is the best character on that show. Everyone who disagrees is the wrongest persons.

THS posted:

goddamn i forgot how much mordin owned (got owned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZGAWcda2E

what are you gonna do mollari, huh? blow up the island?

my fav scene in any scifi show. goddamn was that a satisfying end to that plot

Again, the reason B5 is watchable is for Londo/G'Kar moments.

Case and point, best scene in the show is a joint Londo and G'Kar moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKloZRwLu4

• Locked thread