Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'm surprised no one has been talking about how INSANE the opening credits to this show is. When that first image pops up I always lose my poo poo

I said it before but yeah the intro is really loving awesome. It fits the tone of the show (or at least the tone they're trying for) so well. I'm a nerd for show intros and True Detective is the only recent show with a better intro that I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I can buy theories on why people would join the GR, but the show has done an atrocious job of convincing me why Liv Tyler (the character we get to experience the cult's indoctrination process via) would suddenly decide to join.

I get that she lost someone, cant even remember who, and was having a tough time getting over it but her decision to join is super weak in the "show, dont tell" dept

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Liv Tyler is just super un compelling in general though so that's par for the course.

GR is about nihilism and the meaninglessness of continued existence in the face of uncertainty of rapture. Think aggressive hopelessness.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This less-than-stellar episode just made me wish Chris Eccleston was the main character. There's just so many more interesting things to explore there than with this grouchy-rear end police chief. I don't mind him being unlikeable, but his whole persona feels so dramatically forced and Justin Theroux just isn't very entertaining to watch.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

He's pretty though.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

messagemode1 posted:

He's pretty though.

So pretty.

One positive about this show is the kudos Eccleston is getting. I don't think the American audience at large is familiar with him and he's such a great actor.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Theroux is alright, but they should have cast Matthew Fox...just so we'd get more hilarious Jackfaces when he dealt with GR shenanigans.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Episode 4 really tested my suspension of disbelief when the Police Chief turned down that easy poon at the school dance.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Why hasn't anyone in the show asked Charlize Theron to bankroll an expedition to find out from our creators why the people went missing?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Argh, this show!

I watched the first episode, was bored as poo poo and decided I didn't want to either wait for the season to be over and then binge watch, or watch the episodes as they happened, so I got the book and read it in like a day (it's a quick read). Then I found out that the book doesn't answer any goddamn questions either! Plus, it even seems like the author just stopped writing in the middle of a chapter, it's so aprupt.

Anyway, with that out of the way I started on the rest of the episodes, and it was pretty nice not to have to wonder what the *~BIG MYSTERY~* was and just watch some TV. Episode 3 was awesome.

But episode 4?

thathonkey posted:

I can certainly understand not liking the show at this point but why do people keep acting like it keeps bringing up new mysteries and such?

Because it loving does! We have Flapping Penis Guy in the beginning all like "I saw you in a dream with white, dead people!" and then at the end we have the Grievedolls (tm brylcreem).

What the hell is that? Is everybody psychic? Is it only her? What?

loving annoying, I tell you.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I said it before but yeah the intro is really loving awesome. It fits the tone of the show (or at least the tone they're trying for) so well. I'm a nerd for show intros and True Detective is the only recent show with a better intro that I can think of.

I love it. They're like paintings from the time of black death and the crusades, just modernized. Something that we would see 500 years from now and just feel whats going on in the time

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

In 500 years they'll discover tumblr, deviantart and call our time the dark ages.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

In 500 years they'll discover tumblr, deviantart and call our time the dark ages.

I discovered those sites already and consider our time to be the dark ages.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Deviant Art is a symtom of something greater that will be compared to the decadence of late Rome except taken to such an extreme that the souls of everyone from the poorest man to the richest is darkened.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ChristianDB posted:

I love it. They're like paintings from the time of black death and the crusades, just modernized. Something that we would see 500 years from now and just feel whats going on in the time

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

New ep tomorrow anyone excited?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Not really. Just hoping that the ep4 stumble doesn't turn into an ep5 collapse so I'll have something, anything to watch on Sunday nights besides True Blood.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is True Blood really an option? Find a good book.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

messagemode1 posted:

He's pretty though.

Check out Mulholland Drive to see him cuckolded by Billy Ray Cyrus.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Haha book, what a fuckin idiot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think people would be well advised to put Lost out of their mind entirely when watching this show. It doesn't really seem to be about plot at all, it's just about grief.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, LOST really hosed up a lot of people.

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!
Just watched the first episode, I enjoyed the story but I am incredibly off-put by all the jump-scare bullshit. Does that crap continue in the rest of the episodes so far?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, LOST really hosed up a lot of people.

I can't decide if your gimmick is insufferable or hilarious.

I really hope this episode brings it back in because I really want more of what we got in episode 3. Now that was great TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whether it's insufferable or hilarious depends on whether he actually believes it or is satirising all the people who are blaming hate for this show on anything other than the show itself and its massive gaping flaws

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Have they actually said that they aren't ever going to say what happened to everyone? The show seems like it's starting to pick up steam but if they're not even going to give us anything there I think I'll just drop it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I've read it somewhere. But it's so clearly not about explanations in any way that I can't imagine being annoyed by that.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The slogan "Grace period is over" implies that some poo poo is going to go down but nothing has gone down yet...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well the feds did storm Wayne's compound.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I'm excited for the intro.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I only saw the previews for this show before it started and haven't had a chance to read reviews or anything on it. Is it worth watching or is it crazier than Lost?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

So far at least, it's pretty tame.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

kloa posted:

So far at least, it's pretty tame.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
:stare:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Well that was some opening

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That made me really queasy. Holy gently caress.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The cult sucks and I wish death upon them all

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Brb, gotta puke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Poor Stephen Root didn't deserve to die like that.

• Locked thread