Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any idea what the best deal going on a 3DS XL is?

This looks pretty good, but I dont know if anyone has it cheaper: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-3ds-xl-with-mario-luigi-dream-team/2287164.p?id=1219071509030&skuId=2287164

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Huh, I got Bravely Default in the mail today but not Kirby. That's weird considering they have the same tracking history. Anyone else get their games from the deal piecemeal?
I got both my games and my pro controller in 3 separate packages even though they had the same tracking number and shipped from the same place.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
So I delayed on Kid Icarus until my paycheck rolls around and now I'm torn because Kingdom Hearts 3D looks pretty fun as well, and I've been a fan of Kingdom Hearts for a long time. Anyone recommend KH over KIU?

If it matters I do have a circle pad pro

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I got both my games and my pro controller in 3 separate packages even though they had the same tracking number and shipped from the same place.

Weird. Oh well, doesn't really matter as long as they both arrive.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This looks pretty good, but I dont know if anyone has it cheaper: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-3ds-xl-with-mario-luigi-dream-team/2287164.p?id=1219071509030&skuId=2287164

That is the only current deal for the XL at the moment, even better with the pre-installed game. I had a 20 dollar BB rewards cert that brought it down to Black Friday level pricing.

Wal-Mart had a half decent one a number of weeks ago that was pretty good too but that has since ended.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

AzureRequiem posted:

So I delayed on Kid Icarus until my paycheck rolls around and now I'm torn because Kingdom Hearts 3D looks pretty fun as well, and I've been a fan of Kingdom Hearts for a long time. Anyone recommend KH over KIU?

KH is a pretty good game, but Kid Icarus is tons better in gameplay (more varied and more fun), writing (it's not stuck up its own rear end and the characters are hilarious) , and replayability (tons of different weapons and difficulties). I'd say go for KI.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Refurbished, direct from Nintendo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:doh:

Right, I forgot. But hey, Silver Mario & Luigi!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

jivjov posted:

That's the case with any gimmick, really.
Still annoyed that people call a feature a gimmick. When it's build into the core of the device and used this well can we just call it a feature? It's not something to only sell devices, it's something that adds to the games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

minusX posted:

It's not something to only sell devices, it's something that adds to the games.
:can:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

AzureRequiem posted:

I haven't tried Kid Icarus myself, but I just started KH3D earlier this week and I'm loving it so far. You can like, parkour around, bouncing off buildings and stuff. I parkoured up to the top of a building and there was a treasure chest. You can also parkour enemies to throw them around and spin into them. It's ridiculously fun. :D

However, lots of folks here say Kid Icarus is really, really good. It's next on my list to pick up once I've finished Kingdom Hearts.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Standard policy is to always check a physical ad, and Walmart keeps stacks of competitor ads at each register for this purpose. Standard policy also says not to match BOGO deals (or % off, for that matter) unless they include a line like "Final Price: $40"

That said, most employees don't give a gently caress and will ignore policy and match anyway. You've just got to get one of them, and not one who cares.

Yeah, unfortunately it was the latter -- they were real nice & apologetic but said they could only do fixed-price sales. Picked up Fire Emblem instead since I'm not super interested in Bravely Default or Kirby at full-price, & so far I don't think I'm gonna regret that purchase one bit

Edit: the 3D makes these cutscenes look SO GOOD, drat

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

goferchan posted:

Yeah, unfortunately it was the latter -- they were real nice & apologetic but said they could only do fixed-price sales. Picked up Fire Emblem instead since I'm not super interested in Bravely Default or Kirby at full-price, & so far I don't think I'm gonna regret that purchase one bit

Edit: the 3D makes these cutscenes look SO GOOD, drat

Congratulations you got the best game on the 3DS.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Listen, I hated Kid Icarus and I've explained why way too many times in this thread. Yes, I hate Santa and your dreams and vote for the Communist party every time but whatever. The game is just not fun to me.

However, Kingdom Hearts is amazing fun, but the game felt like a watered down version of the first one to me. Not in a tribute kinda way either, but like someone just wanted to remake the game and didn't have 100% of the resources needed. Maybe I was missing some key part of the story, but I also wasn't entirely sold on its newness, but I always fall in love with Disney characters.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AzureRequiem posted:

Congratulations you got the best game on the 3DS.
Wait until you play Kid Icarus before you start saying things like that.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

AzureRequiem posted:

Kingdom Hearts is fun but Kid Icarus is incredible, probably one of the best games on the console.

If you're a lefty though you should get the Circle Pad Pro or whatever cause it's terrible to control as a lefty otherwise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly I thought the parkour gimmick in KH3D felt really lame and stilted. It didn't really feel like free-running, it felt like running up to a thing and doing an awkwardly canned animation. Got old real quick.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

minusX posted:

Still annoyed that people call a feature a gimmick. When it's build into the core of the device and used this well can we just call it a feature? It's not something to only sell devices, it's something that adds to the games.

Until such time as a feature is used regularly and with a somewhat consistent degree of quality, I'm gonna call it a gimmick. I don't mean anything bad by it, but I see a big gap between "Hey, we have two thumbsticks, that's a feature of our controller" and "hey, we've got a screen on our controller. Use it for...whatever I guess"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think it is a gimmick now, but its ahead of the curve. Think about previous Nintendo consoles, they all predated big fads with "gimmicks" that turned into fads.

When the Wii was new, motion control was pretty well unheard of. It became A Thing™ once the iPhone came out and is now in pretty much every console and mobile device.

The DS didnt invent touch screen input, but it did a lot to further its progress in the gaming world. Everything comes with a touch screen now, even refrigerators.

Similarly, the 3DS didnt invent 3D displays, but its doing a lot to bring it into the average home without clunky glasses and an accompanying super high price point. Someday that will be commonplace, just like motion control and touch controls are now.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The other console manufacturers and game publishers in general are also jumping on the whole second-screen thing. I have a buddy who plays BF4 on the MS console, and he uses his second device to work the server browser and game map, for example.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The KH game suffers a lot from the vast, open, and utterly empty worlds. Like massive spaces of absolutely nothing. It's almost eerie. That combined with the drop system (where you are automatically forced to switch from one character to another after a meter/time limit runs out, even literally right in the middle of battle) sort of takes away from what fun parts there are.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Captain Mog posted:

The KH game suffers a lot from the vast, open, and utterly empty worlds. Like massive spaces of absolutely nothing. It's almost eerie. That combined with the drop system (where you are automatically forced to switch from one character to another after a meter/time limit runs out, even literally right in the middle of battle) sort of takes away from what fun parts there are.

If you drop in the middle of a boss fight you get the pleasure of looking forward to starting that boss fight over after your next drop! :suicide:

Including a bullshit boss with 12 health bars and an attack that drops your HP to 1. That's when I put that game down.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Is the plot as convoluted and confusing as past Kingdom Hearts games have been?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

homeless snail posted:

Wait until you play Kid Icarus before you start saying things like that.

Congratulations goferchan on getting the best game on the 3DS.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

AzureRequiem posted:

Is the plot as convoluted and confusing as past Kingdom Hearts games have been?

Yes, but you get to capture monsters and pet them with the stylus. :3: The core gameplay is actually pretty fun but the drop mechanic really hurts one's ability to enjoy it. I played the game non-stop when it came out until I gave up and I still couldn't tell you who the main villain was. Ansem I guess? Is he still around? :shrug:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

Yes, but you get to capture monsters and pet them with the stylus. :3: The core gameplay is actually pretty fun but the drop mechanic really hurts one's ability to enjoy it. I played the game non-stop when it came out until I gave up and I still couldn't tell you who the main villain was. Ansem I guess? Is he still around? :shrug:

Ansem, having been resurrected because his heartless and nobody were both killed, yes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bravely Default is pretty fun so far. The story leaves a lot to be desired so far though, and the voice acting is questionable at times. Mrgrgr, indeed. But man is it fast for a JRPG.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
If you don't like mrgrgr you need to leave

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

cobalt impurity posted:

If you drop in the middle of a boss fight you get the pleasure of looking forward to starting that boss fight over after your next drop! :suicide:

Including a bullshit boss with 12 health bars and an attack that drops your HP to 1. That's when I put that game down.

People bitch about this all the time, but if you went into a boss fight with a low drop meter, that sounds like your own fault. Every shop sells Drop-Me-Nots. They are prevalent in chests. If you don't either drop or use a Drop-Me-Not before a boss, you're playing the game wrong.

Hellioning posted:

Ansem, having been resurrected because his heartless and nobody were both killed, yes.

We are Xehanort, for we are many

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People bitch about this all the time, but if you went into a boss fight with a low drop meter, that sounds like your own fault. Every shop sells Drop-Me-Nots. They are prevalent in chests. If you don't either drop or use a Drop-Me-Not before a boss, you're playing the game wrong.

What bothered me about it is that when you come back, the boss is fully healed but you aren't. That just isn't fair :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

What bothered me about it is that when you come back, the boss is fully healed but you aren't. That just isn't fair :colbert:

This was just Square being lazy, because I'm pretty sure they actually released a patch that fixed that in Japan!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Gamestop has SMT4 for $20 which is even less than the current eShop price.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This was just Square being lazy, because I'm pretty sure they actually released a patch that fixed that in Japan!

Oh, wow. I was just kidding. That's cool that they patched it though (in Japan)

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Uh, yeah, pfft, god! Don't you know anything? Every time a boss fight begins, all ya gotta do is immediately kill the buildup and action and start playing a different part of the game or stop and chug a bunch of items. I mean, tch, it's just how you play the game, idiots! :smuggo:

gently caress the drop mechanic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I thought the drop mechanic was kind of neat and I mean drop-me-nots were so prevalent that I generally just chugged them all throughout a world and then let the meter fall as I played through the next, but okay, sure, keep being mad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

cobalt impurity posted:

Uh, yeah, pfft, god! Don't you know anything? Every time a boss fight begins, all ya gotta do is immediately kill the buildup and action and start playing a different part of the game or stop and chug a bunch of items. I mean, tch, it's just how you play the game, idiots! :smuggo:

gently caress the drop mechanic.

It literally takes less than a minute to use a Drop-Me-Not. Also don't people usually, you know, prepare for boss fights in RPG's?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

There's a difference between making sure your magic bar is full and making sure you top off the meter that's only there for the game to go "Nnnnnnnope you play as the other guy for a while now!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That does seem like kind of a dumb mechanic. There being an item to stave it off doesn't make it better so much as it makes you wonder why that mechanic is there in the first place if they thought you'd required that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is honestly a pretty bad mechanic. It doesn't get it in the way but it doesn't add anything either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Okay I'll hold off on Kingdom Hearts until my 3DS backlog dies down a bit more. One more question, however. I know the Circle Pad Pro works with KH3D, but does it actually improve anything?

• Locked thread