Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's part of a series of photos Richard Beymer (Benjamin Horne) took during the filming of the final episode. The full series can be found here http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/photos/richard-beymer-twin-peaks-photos/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watched episodes two and three. Some thoughts:

* Coop is so precious and fastidious, you can see it even in the way that he rearranges his pillow before he sleeps. He feels like he's wandered out of the fifties, or Pleasantville, or something. He's permanently on cloud nine, to the point where it's almost a little sinister, though perhaps this show's just educating me to jump at shadows.
* Speaking of Coop, I love that just several hours after teaching the local police about his "Tibetan" crime solving techniques (Coop was dropped on the head as a child, right?), that secretary (lucy?) has a giant hardbacked book with 'TIBET' on the cover, sitting prominently on her desk. She tries so hard...
* Why is Grace Zabrinski only guest starring? She's easily one of the most important characters, as much as any character seems to be particularly important. I liked her a lot more in these episodes, though her weird energy seems to have transferred across to her husband. Not sure what to make of her seeing the same dude from Coop's dream (also in some kind of dream, probably).
* Nadine is a amazing. Of course she's got super strength, of course she does. And that shot of her, open mouth, pulling on her blinds like she's just discovered god? Amazing. No idea why her husband married her in the first place, since he seems to be suffering from her, but she's hilarious and I love her.
* Leo's a character that just wasn't clicking for me (and the show as a whole wasn't) until the third episode. His half-finished house has a really creepy energy to it, but it's also a bit on the nose. I think what makes it work (as with so much Lynch) is that it's so stagey (it looks like an incomplete set, not an unfinished house), and lit by all those really stark spotlights. He's a dick though, but he's definitely not the killer.
* No idea what's going on with the Hornes or the lumber mill. Josie Packard is kind of cute though, running around like a detective.
* Speaking of cute, Ray Wise used to be kinda cute. Not Dana Andrews hot, by which I mean that Wise isn't pin-up material here. It's more that I'm surprised by how time's changed the man.
* I've no idea how they got so much of this material on tv. One Eyed Jack's (not just the incredibly yonic pink folds, but the name alone), that dream sequence is insane, and Aubrey Horne is clearly stoned while dancing in the diner.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Good thoughts, and most of your questions will be answered in time. I totally agree about Leo's house.

About this, though:

Open Source Idiom posted:

* No idea what's going on with the Hornes or the lumber mill. Josie Packard is kind of cute though, running around like a detective.

I've watched the series twice and I couldn't tell you the specifics of this. It gets more complicated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zesty Mordant posted:

Good thoughts, and most of your questions will be answered in time. I totally agree about Leo's house.

About this, though:

I've watched the series twice and I couldn't tell you the specifics of this. It gets more complicated.

I think the main gist of it is that Josie Packard was married to the guy who owned the mill, so she now owns it and doesn't want to sell it or tear it down. Horne wants it because he wants to turn Twin Peaks into the next Aspen or whatever. Various shenanigans ensue from there.

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
I always thought David Lynch's weird scenes have a dream (or nightmare) like quality to them.
Twin Peaks was no exception. He has a way to channel fear and uneasiness thru symbolic elements and the use of apparently out of place scenery and objects.(the black lodge)
I saw Twin Peaks when I was 17, and I recall spending nights awake, being terrified by Bob's appearings in the show.
The scene when Laura's mother is alone in the living room, and Bob appears slowly on the other side and slowly creeps over the sofas has haunted my dreams for a while. Not to talk about the train wagon scene. that was pure horror and I almost felt sick after watching that.
I am also curios about the extra footage, especially about what happened after le last scene...

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Lasagna posted:

I always thought David Lynch's weird scenes have a dream (or nightmare) like quality to them.
Twin Peaks was no exception. He has a way to channel fear and uneasiness thru symbolic elements and the use of apparently out of place scenery and objects.(the black lodge)
I saw Twin Peaks when I was 17, and I recall spending nights awake, being terrified by Bob's appearings in the show.
The scene when Laura's mother is alone in the living room, and Bob appears slowly on the other side and slowly creeps over the sofas has haunted my dreams for a while. Not to talk about the train wagon scene. that was pure horror and I almost felt sick after watching that.
I am also curios about the extra footage, especially about what happened after le last scene...

Yes! Even when it was funny, there was this eerie, dream-like quality to it that bought a sense of "Uncanny Valley" like unease over the entire show. One thing that sticks out for me is the James/Donna/Maddy singing scene. It just pops out of nowhere and made me laugh so hard at the time it almost bought tears to my eyes, but after it was over all I could think was "...what the hell was that all about?" and then right after I thought that there comes Bob over the couch and at the screen. Priceless.

And of course, how can we forget this classic? The juxtaposition of Maddy's prophetic dream & subsequent vision with newly-minted white-haired Leland suddenly bursting in with a chipper tune pretty much sums up Twin Peaks in its entirety.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 25, 2014

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5WC0TW_0qc

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZqGz_krNY

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I watched Fire Walk with Me last night because I wanted to see if I could pick out some good info about Bob/The Lodge that I had missed. I think it was a mistake because Fire Walk with Me is so goddamn emotionally draining that its not worth it just to nerd out on little details. The final scene, with Laura and Cooper in the Lodge and she's laughing/crying hysterically, is like the heaviest feeling of real hopelessness I've ever had from a film.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen that movie in a while, but wasn't the final scene in the lodge meant to be sorta hopeful?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bown posted:

I haven't seen that movie in a while, but wasn't the final scene in the lodge meant to be sorta hopeful?

If it was then gently caress, it was a failure.

She sees the angel or whatever it is, and then laughs/cries like she's a character in a Lovecraft story. Incredibly unsettling. I can maybe see what you're saying in that she's finally free of Bob and the angel is I'm sure supposed to signify that, but she's loving dead and you can tell she's really sad about it. Then when she laughs its almost nihilistic. It did not fill me with hope.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm remembering the angel and Cooper being sorta comforting. I'd definitely have to watch it again before making any decision either way, but luckily it won't be long until that happens. Yippee!

Lasagna
Jun 20, 2001
Laura is one of the most tragic and saddening characters I have ever seen.
I think one of the main themes of Twin Peaks is, along with the search for her killer, the gradual unraveling of her secret life.
it's a climax narration that shows in the most effective way how damaged and desperate she was, knowing that she actually wouldn't have been able to have a normal life again. she slowly yields to the darkness and to her ultimate fate.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20140725-twin-peaks-what-made-it-so-good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, the blu-ray is out today, right? Sweet!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bown posted:

Hey, the blu-ray is out today, right? Sweet!

Mine arrived today but I promised a friend I'd watch the new missing pieces film with her on Saturday... So tempting to break a promise.

Detention
Oct 22, 2000

When the police came and they asked what happened I told them "He's reaping what he's been sowing, that's what." They said "Fucker been sowing some pretty heavy shit"
So, I know this is probably premature, but now that The Entire Mystery has been released on Blu-ray, what's the story on a fan edit integrating both Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me & The Missing Pieces (~90min of extended/deleted scenes just released in the box set)? A fan edit would bring the runtime up to around 3hr30m-3hr45m. Several sites have mentioned "a fan edit will probably pop up sooner rather than later", but I haven't heard of any projects in the works yet. Like I said, probably premature but I hope to watch this thread and see somebody spill the beans soon.

It would be awesome to see one come out before I finish rewatching the series w/ the new Blu-rays so I can put the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
25 years later and I still get mad seeing the population of Twin Peaks as 50k instead of 5k. 50k just makes no sense.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Abu Dave posted:

25 years later and I still get mad seeing the population of Twin Peaks as 50k instead of 5k. 50k just makes no sense.

So you can accept Asian ladies getting transmogrified into doorknobs, but not inaccurate census counts?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Haha, somehow I never noticed that. I looked it up and found this:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/twin-peaks/ posted:

Cross-dissolving shots of a Bewick’s Wren and the Snoqualmie Falls placidly introduce us to the fictional Pacific Northwestern town of Twin Peaks, population: 51,201. Lynch and Frost originally intended for the sign to read 5,201, to represent an authentic American small town. However, the show’s network, the American Broadcasting Network (ABC), was wary of producing a show that featured a small, rural town, fearing that the urban demographic wouldn’t identify with it. They forced the producers to change the sign, but despite their fears, Twin Peaks achieved remarkable commercial and critical success during its first season run.

That's one of the more ridiculous network changes to a show I've heard.

Detention
Oct 22, 2000

When the police came and they asked what happened I told them "He's reaping what he's been sowing, that's what." They said "Fucker been sowing some pretty heavy shit"
Q2 FWWM fan edit in the works. :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Abu Dave posted:

Maybe that's including all the inhabitants of the Red Room world. And the owls.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Krangdar posted:

Maybe that's including all the inhabitants of the Red Room world. And the owls.

Maybe it's cute small town humor and they're counting all the animals. :unsmith:

The sign also never changes after anyone dies too. :goonsay:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

wa27 posted:

Haha, somehow I never noticed that. I looked it up and found this:

That's one of the more ridiculous network changes to a show I've heard.

I don't think I've ever seen a good network change to a show. This is so ridiculous. People love small town mystery stuff.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went out and bought the blu-ray because I'm bad at money. The packaging is absolutely gorgeous, clearly designed with love. About to watch the remastered pilot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Clearly this Simpsons account got the box set today

https://twitter.com/Simpsons_tweets/status/494207923828957185

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

Maybe it's cute small town humor and they're counting all the animals. :unsmith:

The sign also never changes after anyone dies too. :goonsay:

People keep moving in, so they don't have to change it. :D

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I was surprised by a friend with this boxset today, so now maybe I'll finally watch FWWM. After I do a full rewatch of the show in 1080p of course.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I'm so happy more people will finally get to see FWWM!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The set is incredibly beautiful, though I almost damaged mine by pulling on the cardboard pages thinking they were part of a removable book. Don't do that.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
Today is a good day.

Not to rush people, but what are the long term fans' opinions of the extra material?

I can see why the deleted scenes were cut. Most of them just added exposition or reinforcement to scenes that were already clear in a wonderfully understated way in the original cut. Perfect example is Teresa Banks calling Jacques about Laura and Ronnette's fathers. You could infer that entire discussion from Jacques' one line in the Pink Room. The Jeffries bits could have been good additions, because everything about that was so out of nowhere and disjointed and had little connection to anything else (and because Bowie.)

But I still like the scenes. There's not much, if anything, bad about them. I don't think they need to be a part of anyone's first viewing of FWWM, but they do give some extra flavor and refresh things a bit for the obsessive fan. I'd love to see a recut with the additional scenes, just to see how it would all fit together.

And I think the interview between David Lynch and the Palmer family is the best thing ever.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It's weird reading this thread and actually having to avoid spoiler tags. Going to have to get that box set, it's just so pricey. :argh:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's $96.81 at Barnes and Noble, now if only there would be one of those "25% off any one item" coupon codes floating around...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I love the hidden surprise at the very bottom of the box. You might not see it right away, but keep looking.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SPOILER ALERT: The HD master of this show is really, really freaking nice.

and now I need to get home and check the bottom of my box, thanks ...!

edit: HAHAHA I missed that completely! Fuckin' awesome

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 30, 2014

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I really really haven't been this eager for a package to come in from the mail since I can every remember.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The deleted scenes make it seem more like a TV show so I understand why they were gone but they should've kept the twin peaks sheriff office scenes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

...! posted:

I love the hidden surprise at the very bottom of the box. You might not see it right away, but keep looking.

Someone spoilertag it already.

thetimebefore
Jan 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Someone spoilertag it already.

Right at the bottom of the box, there's a secret compartment and inside is the exact 'Fire Walk With Me' note.

It's pretty bitchin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Section 9 posted:

Today is a good day.

Not to rush people, but what are the long term fans' opinions of the extra material?

(spoilers)

A few people on other sites have reported audio and subtitle sync problems with that Missing Pieces feature. Did you have any issues like that?

• Locked thread