Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I love Eldora already and the race hasn't even started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

All Nascar needs heat races and a feature with bmain

Exi7wound
Aug 22, 2004

LOGANO
Remember my name... you'll be screaming it later.
Ok, so Dillon spins Larson, Larson drives right out of the spin, catches Dillon... and Fox decides we should see Eric Jones' flat tire instead? loving retards.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Where the gently caress did Larson come from?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kyle Larson is pure entertainment, god drat.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Larson trying that old Daytona USA strat of just ramming the wall and not letting off.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cygni posted:

Larson trying that old Daytona USA strat of just ramming the wall and not letting off.

He was ACTUALLY GAINING with like five to go. How.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

:laffo: Truck couldn't take one more lap.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
That was entertaining as hell, but holy gently caress is Larson an idiot. He had plenty of truck to win that and he just demolished it.

Glorious demolition, but dumb as a rock.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
That was the first full race I've watched in a while and I liked it quite a bit! Although the relative I was watching it with outed themselves a bit.

"I don't really want to see Wallace win."
"What, why?"
"Uh, well it's not like I'm prejudiced or anything because I'm not, but uh..........."

Watching Larson ride the wall like that was hilarious too.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Darksaber posted:

That was the first full race I've watched in a while and I liked it quite a bit! Although the relative I was watching it with outed themselves a bit.

"What, why?"
"Uh, well it's not like I'm prejudiced or anything because I'm not, but uh..........."

It would have been funny then if Larson won, since he's part Japanese.

Unless it's a different kind of outing:

"Uh, well it's not like I'm prejudiced or anything because I'm not, but uh...I'm really into Japanese guys."

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 24, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Absolutely enjoyed that race - I don't know in what way, but it felt even more competitive than last year. DWJ's all right in my book, and Larson's truck was the most beat-up but fast racer I've seen since his Nationwide car at Darlington earlier this year.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Darksaber posted:

"What, why?"

Hell I'm with him. I don't like those people either. If you can even call them people. I am of course talking about the Wallace family.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

...of which Bubba is not a member.

Eldora owns. Their "Expressways" behind the main concourse to get fans from Turn 1 to Turn 4 are genius. Traffic going into the track was non-existent. Traffic getting out of the parking lot kinda sucked but was manageable. Good crowd, though there were a couple sections which were mostly empty. Racing Electronics didn't know that Kenny Schrader was NOT in the 00 truck, so thanks for helping me flush my $5 down the toilet, RE.

Kyle Larson for probably 20 laps straight used the wall as a cushion. He almost wrecked Hornaday on a slide job and had a great race with him for a couple laps, before turning on the god drat afterburner to catch Bubba. He wanted to die in his post-race interview with MRN.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

...of which Bubba is not a member.

:thejoke:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Where was the caution for Kyle Larson knocking the wall down with two to go, NASCAR?

e- Norm Benning has become an Eldora folk hero. He got one of the louder reactions in driver intros, and somebody on Sirius said the Truck he ran last year was purchased by Smoke and was on display somewhere on the track grounds.

And, with that, I post a trivia question I heard from Eli Gold: Why does Norm (normally) run #57? (Looking at you, LASTCAR.)

Long day. Not all here right now.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Where was the caution for Kyle Larson knocking the wall down with two to go, NASCAR?

e- Norm Benning has become an Eldora folk hero. He got one of the louder reactions in driver intros, and somebody on Sirius said the Truck he ran last year was purchased by Smoke and was on display somewhere on the track grounds.

And, with that, I post a trivia question I heard from Eli Gold: Why does Norm (normally) run #57? (Looking at you, LASTCAR.)

Long day. Not all here right now.

He's from western PA so I assume it's ketchup related

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

Because it looks cool when written in the old curvy modifieds numbers?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Average 75% chance of rain on Sunday, with 100% chance right at noon. :getin:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

devmd01 posted:

Average 75% chance of rain on Sunday, with 100% chance right at noon. :getin:

I hate rain

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They could develop rain tires so that there can be another indy tire debacle where they get cautions every 10 laps.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

tater_salad posted:

They could develop rain tires so that there can be another indy tire debacle where they get cautions every 10 laps.

Considering how especially awful Goodyear's tires have been this year I can see that happening rain or no rain.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Peanut President posted:

Because it looks cool when written in the old curvy modifieds numbers?

This would've been my answer. I actually don't know - he ran the #84 for nearly all of his 281 ARCA starts and once attempted the 500 in that number, too. I did get an unconfirmed report that his switch to the #6 will be permanent. Apparently, he'd always wanted to have a single-digit number.

From the interviews I've done so far, it sounds like independent drivers don't have a firm reason for picking one car number and not another. Apparently, they just take what's available, then stick with it for years. I got that same answer from from Marty Burke, who worked for J.D. McDuffie, and Joe Dan Bailey, the son of H.B. Bailey.

Incidentally, I just posted my interview with Joe Dan Bailey last night. He had some great information about his father, who was the first Cup driver to qualify at Indianapolis in 1994.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Oh man the '95 Brickyard is on ESPN Classic and Andretti's car is as horrific as I remember.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Do you guys want a racetrack tip thread made like we'd compiled on the Wiki at one point? The Wiki is gone & I figured it could be a resource for anybody considering going to a race, especially at a different track.

I waited to address this until LASTCAR got back because I wanted to see if he knew:

sportsgenius86 posted:

He's from western PA so I assume it's ketchup related

Yep. The 57 is a reference to Heinz 57, made by Pittsburgh-based Heinz.

The change to #6 is, in fact, because he wanted a single-digit number. He still has the rights to 57 as well.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 24, 2014

Harry J
Nov 8, 2004

LS-WHAT???!!!!????!!!!
It will never happen because NASCAR, but I'm willing to bet the Wednesday night crowd at Eldora was larger than many of the Saturday Nationwide crowds.

Jayski posted:

Stewart would like to have Nationwide and Sprint Cup races at Eldora: While he's not planning for it, Tony Stewart would love for the addition of more NASCAR Racing at Eldora Speedway. Stewart, along with track general manager Roger Slack, talked about the possibilty during a press conference for the unveiling of the new infield building that will be added for the 2015 season. "I'd love for the Truck Series to not be the only NASCAR that comes here," Stewart said. "If this continues to go as well as we hope it does there's no reason that the other two divisions couldn't come possibly in the future. I think we can make it work. If you can take the trucks and make them work here, the Cup cars and Nationwide cars aren't much of a stretch from that. So it's definitely feasible to do that." The new building, which will begin to be constructed in October, will house the media center that will also double as an infield hospitality suite. The building will also be the site of the infield care center along with a concession stand with double lines. Stewart said the decision to build in the infield building had no bearing on the possibilty of getting a Nationwide of Cup Series race in the future. "This is part of the continued process of us making the commitment of improving the facility to making it bigger and better," he said. "But we are very appreciative and very content if we only run truck races from here on out. We get the privilege to keep hosting Truck races and we are very happy doing that."(Motor Racing Network)(7-24-2014)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well yeah, it's a one off heavily promoted race at a legendary track, of course it's gonna pack them in.

e- I bet the Kings Royal or the Dream outdraws last night handily, though

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Harry J posted:

It will never happen because NASCAR, but I'm willing to bet the Wednesday night crowd at Eldora was larger than many of the Saturday Nationwide crowds.

There were less than 1,000 reserved seats left as of a couple days before the race, but Dave Moody said yesterday they'd sold 2,000 extra GA tickets as compared to last year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Ah so you knew the inside scoop on things eh SRA.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/stock-cars/arca-stock-cars/grant-enfinger-switches-arca-rides/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Smoke just made a $25,000,000 :toxx:.

quote:

"Yeah, if we can raise $25 million, we will put a dome and a roof over top of Eldora Speedway. ... This is not a joke. We have a fellow competitor who is a large engineer and he's figured out what it would actually take to put a roof over Eldora, so it's about a $25 million project to do if we were able to get an event like a (NASCAR Sprint) Cup race. That would definitely be a lot easier to justify spending $25 million. If not, I don't know how many $1.50 hot dogs we'd have to sell to raise $25 million."

Eldora, the literal Thunderdome? :getin:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/success-eldora-return-goes-roof-211900457--nascar.html

Dale Junyer's also offering dating advice on Twitter. His plan for breakup success:
1) Pick the thing that annoyed you the most about them and focus on it.
2) Party with friends.

:allears:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
When was the last Sprint Cup dirt race?

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Just wanted to dip in the thread and say that I was clapping on my couch for Kyle Larson after he finally hit hard enough to kill his car. The most exciting drive I've seen in as long as I can remember. Kid owns.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

When was the last Sprint Cup dirt race?

1970, the King won it.

Also has anyone ever been to motorsports indoors? It's not as cool as you'd think!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

1970, the King won it.

Also has anyone ever been to motorsports indoors? It's not as cool as you'd think!

But indoor motorsports are usually sprints or gokarts not full-size cars on dirt. Roof-dora will be sweet.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

VikingSkull posted:

Back in like 2004/5, I went to a mini stock car event held in the Norfolk VA coliseum, they built a banked oval right inside the hockey rink. It was pretty loud!

E: Mason Mitchell's mom posts on the ARCA racing site :laugh:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 25, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, did you guys know that Tony Stewart rules? Because if you didn't, here's a tutorial as to why he's awesome, complete with the use of the phrase "Yard Sale".

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/vid...id=311418435810

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, did you guys know that Tony Stewart rules? Because if you didn't, here's a tutorial as to why he's awesome, complete with the use of the phrase "Yard Sale".

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/vid...id=311418435810

They should have shown some of the shots they had of him during the race last year, he was like a kid at an amusement park.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Grant Enfinger's website has the ARCA and Truck Series logos next to the GMS Racing logo at the bottom. Could this mean a Truck race or two for him this year?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

devmd01 posted:

Back in like 2004/5, I went to a mini stock car event held in the Norfolk VA coliseum, they built a banked oval right inside the hockey rink. It was pretty loud!

E: Mason Mitchell's mom posts on the ARCA racing site :laugh:

Do you mean ARENA RACING USA PRESENTED BY JOE GIBBS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMpNoUpH4o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hell yeah that was it. I assumed it folded during the recession or something.

• Locked thread